Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2012, 19:09   #6106
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Friends,

I am planning to buy a new 46" 3D LED TV this Diwali and I visited Reliance digital today to have a look at some of the hot selling brands in this range. The salesperson mentioend that Sony, LG (47") and Samsung are the best selling ones in the same order. He also suggested not to go for Samsung due to some color spotting issues on the screen when viewed from different angles and that the screen refresh frequency of LG was 200GHz compared to Sony's 100GHz which means LG outbeats Sony in that dept.

In addition to all this, I noticed that the video clarity of Samsung was a little blurr compared to that of Sony and LG when I saw the same programs on all 3 TVs today.

Need your help in suggesting list of brands/models to look at before deciding any further.

Thanks in Advance,
Kiran
Old 28th October 2012, 19:24   #6107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp
Friends,

I am planning to buy a new 46" 3D LED TV this Diwali and I visited Reliance digital today to have a look at some of the hot selling brands in this range. The salesperson mentioend that Sony, LG (47") and Samsung are the best selling ones in the same order. He also suggested not to go for Samsung due to some color spotting issues on the screen when viewed from different angles and that the screen refresh frequency of LG was 200GHz compared to Sony's 100GHz which means LG outbeats Sony in that dept.

In addition to all this, I noticed that the video clarity of Samsung was a little blurr compared to that of Sony and LG when I saw the same programs on all 3 TVs today.

Need your help in suggesting list of brands/models to look at before deciding any further.

Thanks in Advance,
Kiran
You can buy Sony with eyes closed, won't go wrong. Several sales folks will promote lg, Samsung since their margins are high. They also say 'Sony display is from Samsung', it may be true, but the bravia engine makes all the difference.
I love Sony for the pure pleasure it offers every time you switch on the Tv.
Come to think of it, other brands may give better discounts, but you don't want to be saving a mere 2or4 k for Sony.

Go with Sony.
Old 28th October 2012, 19:39   #6108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
I have checked in multiples places. When in comes to LED TVs, there is no difference in picture quality between Sony, LG or Samsung. If you mask the maker's name, it will be difficult to differentiate.
But in older LCDs, Sony had the edge. Samsung has the edge when it comes to 3D TVs.
In your case, probably there is some issue with settings in Samsung TV or the TV could be defective.

But as @harishpr mentioned, Sony is perceived as a better brand.
Old 28th October 2012, 20:24   #6109
BHPian

Do Not buy Sony. My 40" Bravia had its motherboard replaced twice in a matter of 2 months and they charged me 6500/- each time, not to mention their stupid service. Finally a few weeks ago it went kaput for the third time and then i smashed that TV and fortunately it wont bother anybody ever again. The best reliability is observed in Panasonic, toshiba and Sharp these days but their service is questionable.

As far as PQ goes, all brands have good as well as not as good tvs, thus generalization should not be done.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:34   #6110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
You can buy Sony with eyes closed, won't go wrong. Several sales folks will promote lg, Samsung since their margins are high. They also say 'Sony display is from Samsung', it may be true, but the bravia engine makes all the difference.
I love Sony for the pure pleasure it offers every time you switch on the Tv.
Come to think of it, other brands may give better discounts, but you don't want to be saving a mere 2or4 k for Sony.

Go with Sony.
I actually found it the other way. Sony is typically bit costlier than samsung or LG but the salesman keeps saying Sony is best, their LCD tv is better than samsung LED etc. and tries to push old Sony sales. As per him Sony is best followed by Samsung. LG, panasonic etc are next.

To be frank, i dont find any difference between Sony, Samsung Lg or panasonic ( LG and Pana appear less colorful due to IPS panel) and sony and Samsung display cartoons if we set it too bright.

I bought a samsung LED last week and later at home found out that their(and sony) bright and vivid means it looks like a cartoon at home.

I am only talking about the low end TVs here, series 5 samsung and equivalent models. higher end models might be better.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:44   #6111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
You can buy Sony with eyes closed, won't go wrong.
Do not buy Sony in India. This is because of very poor and expensive service network.

If your Panel goes bad you would be spending as much as a new TV (examples on this thread itself).

OTOH, Sony does not sell extended warranty either.
Old 29th October 2012, 12:17   #6112
BHPian

I bought a SONY 37" LCD HD tv for the bedroom from Lotus electronics, Bhopal, on 01.08.2012. Model no. KLV32CX420. I bought this one because I am happy with their 40 incher in the living room. Till date, inspite of several emails, they have not supplied the original warranty card. Lotus people say it was damaged in transit. The TV is fine, but the customer service is pathetic. I have sent them scanned copies of the invoice and pictures of the box. Can anyone help?
Old 30th October 2012, 16:04   #6113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Do not buy Sony in India. This is because of very poor and expensive service network.

If your Panel goes bad you would be spending as much as a new TV (examples on this thread itself).

So true, Sony and Samsung are the most unethical/Chor (thief) companies in India, one sells cheap junk and pastels stuff like DLNA and Wifi and Smart Tv BS, which either most people never use or use once but forget soon after. That is Samsung for you.
Sony has good products but my God you need to be as patient as a rock to deal with them if something goes wrong, one of the worst customer service ever.

I own a 55 inch plasma from Samsung bought last year, Red line came in first 8 months of use, a lot of drama and 1 year later, the line still persists.

Sony we own around 2 vaio's both S series and an LCD, the TV was fine but the damn laptops gave us hell.

Just bought a Panasonic LCD yesterday so lets see how these guys are. LG whichever way you put out has been surprisingly good and trouble free for the rough 10 years we have owned them.
Old 30th October 2012, 20:08   #6114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
I own a 55 inch plasma from Samsung bought last year, Red line came in first 8 months of use, a lot of drama and 1 year later, the line still persists.
Wasn't it fixed in warranty period?
Old 30th October 2012, 20:31   #6115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay

Omg! I had purchased 42 inch plasma from Samsung. Similar story - vertical line after 9 months usage. Fortunately for me, they replaced the panel since it was under warranty.

Did you claim your warranty? How/why did Samsung deny? Please can you share more details?
Old 30th October 2012, 20:39   #6116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
Searched the thread but didn't find - does anyone know the price of 50UT50?
Quoted 70k (best price) by Better Deals (authorised dealer) in Great India Place mall in noida. This is without 3D glasses.
Old 31st October 2012, 08:30   #6117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay

I have always bought in the grey market and never had issues. It comes sealed from Malaysia with the airline baggage tag of some guy and you can open it and test it before taking home. So far past 30 years no issues with CRT or LCD... Some may call it luck but I think the extra bucks it costs for a one year warranty, I might as well give to a known technician if I run into any problem...
Old 31st October 2012, 08:38   #6118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
No it wasn't they were asking for 12,000 more as the problem apparently was not covered in warranty. There was also so much BS from Samsung with some of their technicians claiming that it should be taken from warranty and the rest saying it will not be. Anyways I plan to use the telly for another three to four years and then take it to the Samsung HO in Delhi and burn it outside their gate. Maybe that will wake them up.
Old 31st October 2012, 12:19   #6119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Friends,

Thanks in Advance,
Kiran
Hi Kiran,

As far as lcd/led Tv are concerned Sony (nowadays) is just another brand, It has completely lost the technological /quality edge over its competitors in the last decade.If you like it buy it but IMO it doesn't command any premium over a LG or a Samsung.

The sales person is partially right about the Samsung color fading issue, as it does not have a IPS panel the viewing angles (without any distortion in color/PQ) are comparatively narrower than Lg/Panasonic and the colors start to fade a little bit as you view the screen from the side but it is not at all a deal breaker as it is apparent only when you stand close to the panel and not at all noticeable from a 3-4 feet.And in my observation Samsung has the sharpest PQ panels amongst the brands you have mentioned, try playing a full hd video of rio/wall-e or any other animated movie and you will notice.

The screen refresh rate is something which you will never notice (difference between a 100hz/200hz) in your entire ownership of the panel as a 100hz is more than good enough for anything you will be using it for, though it is always wiser to buy the latest and the better specs when you are investing so much money but screen refresh rates shouldn't be the deciding factor.Try playing different video formats from the usb and check if it can read your 500gb/1t hard drive easily, these are the minor things which will matter the most in your daily usage.

As far as after sales service goes all of them are the same (read no better), it eventually comes down to the guys running the service center in your city.From my experience so far, Lg has a slight edge in A*s over the others.

If you already own a led/lcd tv, I would suggest you take a look at the Panasonic 50st50 (plasma) a fantastic sleek panel with 3 years warranty.You genuinely start appreciating the PQ of a plasma when you have extensively used a led TV.

Last edited by lancerlover : 31st October 2012 at 12:39.
Old 1st November 2012, 01:26   #6120
BHPian

A lot of people on gtplanet swear by this brand, has anybody here had any experience with one of these?

http://www.sharpproducts.in/product....1&cat=LED%20TV

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks