Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2012, 18:04   #6046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Best buy between Sony ex430 , samsung 40eh500, Toshiba 40ps20 ?
Over the past 32 years we have always purchased a Sony in our house, prior to which we had a b&w dyanora. This year, I got a 37 inch LG LED smart tv for a change. Right away I realized should have stuck to a Sony. I get a tinny speaker sound on higher volumes when watching DTH which I dont get on my other 2 Sony LCDs. I adjusted the settings etc to reduce some of this tinnyness but it is still perceivable...
Old 15th October 2012, 18:54   #6047
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Toshiba 40PS20 - Very good picture quality with deep inky blacks, best reliability, 3 yr warranty, Best bang for the buck.
I am on the lookout for a non-smart 40-42 " LED/LCD TV in the range of 40K after i realized that instead of blowing 55K+ on a smart TV and also on its accessories, it is much better to save money and buy a PS3 instead and make the TV over smart

But sadly any decent LED TV in 40K budget, apart from Toshiba

If not this, i need to go for LCD TV such as LG LK450 or LG CS560

What is the difference between Toshiba PS20 an PS10 ?

Also How is the Toshiba Service ?

Looking at their india website for searching service centers, i saw that they dont have any center down south baring NCR and maharastra region. Kind of strange !!
Old 15th October 2012, 21:12   #6048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy

I am on the lookout for a non-smart 40-42 " LED/LCD TV in the range of 40K after i realized that instead of blowing 55K+ on a smart TV and also on its accessories, it is much better to save money and buy a PS3 instead and make the TV over smart

But sadly any decent LED TV in 40K budget, apart from Toshiba

If not this, i need to go for LCD TV such as LG LK450 or LG CS560

What is the difference between Toshiba PS20 an PS10 ?

Also How is the Toshiba Service ?

Looking at their india website for searching service centers, i saw that they dont have any center down south baring NCR and maharastra region. Kind of strange !!
Maybe the site is not updated, they have around 200-250 service centers. The best part about toshiba is that theres a 99.9% chance that you wont need to visit/call them ever.

However, i have had sony, samsung, panasonic, toshiba and LG lcd/led/plasma tvs installed across my house and business. And i have found toshiba and panasonic to be more reliable. While samsung is in the middle and lg to be the lowest. Sony has just mediocre reliability.

Go for PS20. Avoid the ps10, its PQ is not that great and is an old model. Plus the design is also not nice.

Meanwhile the ps20 has excellent PQ, beautiful design, 3 yr warranty and a better panel.

The only disadvantage of the PS20 is that the vertical viewing angles are not that great but pretty acceptable. And moreover i guess you wont be watching the tv while hanging yourself on the ceiling.

If you are just interested in PQ, look for a plasma tv preferably a panasonic.

Moreover i have never had to visit a toshiba center for repairs as i have never required it. But i have heard they are as good (or bad) as your mainstream samsung and panasonic. Sony service is pretty horrible.

Last edited by M5_fan : 15th October 2012 at 21:15.
Old 15th October 2012, 21:38   #6049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan

Maybe the site is not updated, they have around 200-250 service centers. The best part about toshiba is that theres a 99.9% chance that you wont need to visit/call them ever.

However, i have had sony, samsung, panasonic, toshiba and LG lcd/led/plasma tvs installed across my house and business. And i have found toshiba and panasonic to be more reliable. While samsung is in the middle and lg to be the lowest. Sony has just mediocre reliability.

Go for PS20. Avoid the ps10, its PQ is not that great and is an old model. Plus the design is also not nice.

Meanwhile the ps20 has excellent PQ, beautiful design, 3 yr warranty and a better panel.

The only disadvantage of the PS20 is that the vertical viewing angles are not that great but pretty acceptable. And moreover i guess you wont be watching the tv while hanging yourself on the ceiling.

If you are just interested in PQ, look for a plasma tv preferably a panasonic.

Moreover i have never had to visit a toshiba center for repairs as i have never required it. But i have heard they are as good (or bad) as your mainstream samsung and panasonic. Sony service is pretty horrible.
Thanks. I found 40ps20 at little over 42k on infibeam and they got some 10% or 5000 rs coupon. So with that this model is around 38k. How does it sound?
Old 15th October 2012, 22:03   #6050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy

Thanks. I found 40ps20 at little over 42k on infibeam and they got some 10% or 5000 rs coupon. So with that this model is around 38k. How does it sound?
It sure sounds good but if i were you, i would pick up the set from a toshiba brandshop. It is available for 40K after negotiations. Saying this so that you dont get any warranty hassles later especially as it is a 3 year long warranty.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:10   #6051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
It sure sounds good but if i were you, i would pick up the set from a toshiba brandshop. It is available for 40K after negotiations. Saying this so that you dont get any warranty hassles later especially as it is a 3 year long warranty.
Sadly i dont see any Toshiba brand shops down here in Bangalore. they are only listing the authorized sellers(neighborhood electronics shop) so i doubt i can get it at a price such as 40K !!!

I ll probably visit sellers such as croma to do a full check of the product(they are selling it at 52K and throwing away a 22 inch Sansui LCD TV free) I ll rather go for 40K price instead of taking another free TV with bumped up price.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:20   #6052
BHPian

Hi All,

I am in Malaysia right now and am thinking of bringing back with me a 40' LED tv. Now I wanted to know about the Indian custom rules: any issue with me bringing back a 40' LED- any such constraints in Luggage. Prompt reply appreciated.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:29   #6053
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy
Hi All,

I am in Malaysia right now and am thinking of bringing back with me a 40' LED tv. Now I wanted to know about the Indian custom rules: any issue with me bringing back a 40' LED- any such constraints in Luggage. Prompt reply appreciated.
There are no custom rules specific to a TV, just that anything below the value equivalent to 25k inr can be brought in legally without any duties.
Any product over it and you need to pay duties.
But the officials at the airport will always ask for something, if you know what i mean.
Also make sure the weight of your TV doesn't exceed that allowed by your airline.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:38   #6054
BHPian

Was planning to buy LGLS4600 LED TV
But as per recent review from forum LG is not reliable
Any feedback for this model
Old 16th October 2012, 13:22   #6055
BHPian

!! bump !!

Is the below offer good, of should I wait a bit for festive season offers ?

cheers
lazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post

Ok, friends, I finalized the 50XT50D.
(its rated peak power consumption is 265W, so normal should be within my backup of 250W)

price is 64K with 2 active 3D glasses and some 3-in-1 printer on payment of further 2K.
exchange value of my existing 29" crt is 2.5 k.

Does the above offer sound good? Or should I wait for Diwali offers?

Thanks
lazy.
Old 16th October 2012, 14:22   #6056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
thanks diyguy. is that a watt-meter?
OT -but what do you use it for

Ok, friends, I finalized the 50XT50D.
(its rated peak power consumption is 265W, so normal should be within my backup of 250W)

price is 64K with 2 active 3D glasses and some 3-in-1 printer on payment of further 2K.
exchange value of my existing 29" crt is 2.5 k.

Does the above offer sound good? Or should I wait for Diwali offers?

Thanks
lazy.
Hi,
few days back, even I had nearly finalized the 42XT50D, but bit more research and money stretch made me buy 42UT50D. The main difference: Full HD, 2500 Hz. just my two cents.

I dropped the printer offer, as the cartridge costs a bomb. for extra 3d glasses, you can check Samsung SSG-4100GB which are MRP-1300 whereas Pana costs 4900 ! I have written on this TV few pages back.

cant confirm, but hopefully Diwali would be an offer time.
Old 17th October 2012, 00:33   #6057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy
Hi All,

I got my lg 37" from Malaysia no issues at customs or airlines. My friend then brought in a 40" again no issues. This was about 6 months back
Old 17th October 2012, 08:40   #6058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Was planning to buy LGLS4600 LED TV
But as per recent review from forum LG is not reliable
Any feedback for this model
I have a 32LS4600 and found it very good. LG service is also very good in Mumbai/Pune atleast.

Kiran
Old 17th October 2012, 09:53   #6059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
There are no custom rules specific to a TV, just that anything below the value equivalent to 25k inr can be brought in legally without any duties.
Any product over it and you need to pay duties.
But the officials at the airport will always ask for something, if you know what i mean.
Also make sure the weight of your TV doesn't exceed that allowed by your airline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I got my lg 37" from Malaysia no issues at customs or airlines. My friend then brought in a 40" again no issues. This was about 6 months back
Thanks Guys!! Will sleep in peace now..
Old 17th October 2012, 10:53   #6060
Team-BHP Support

In 2006, I had bought a 50 inch plasma for 2L. I know, that price sounds so crazy now. TV prices have really come down. Anyway, two years back I moved that TV to office for use with CCTV, which is on most of the time. Recently the display as well as the power supply conked off and repair cost is estimated to be 39K. You can buy a new LCD for that price, so I haven't bothered to repair it.

But I need a new TV, at least 42 inch for CCTV display. Which kind of TV can run 24 hours without much issues?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks