Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2012, 17:46   #6076
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

That's the stuff.
Well my above message is too short to be posted so hope it is good now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Old 18th October 2012, 23:40   #6077
BHPian

Looks Like Panasonic has stopped Making FULL HD Normal Plasma TV's . Not really interested in 3D So was looking for FULL HD Plasma's ON their website but X series is Only HD ready, Rest all is 3D or i am missing some thing in link .
Old 19th October 2012, 10:08   #6078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Looks Like Panasonic has stopped Making FULL HD Normal Plasma TV's . Not really interested in 3D So was looking for FULL HD Plasma's ON their website but X series is Only HD ready, Rest all is 3D or i am missing some thing in link .
You are right. There are no Full-HD Non 3D models in 42". I bought the P42U30D which was a non-3D full HD model. I had a problem in the TV and they replaced it with the P42UT50D (3D) model.

I do not see any marked difference in picture quality.

The P42U30D was for around 42K and the P42UT50D is for around 70K. As people like you and me do not want to use 3D the additional 28K is just a waste of money.

I guess they still have the P50U50D which is a 50" Non-3D Full HD Model.

I think all companies are over hyping the 3D feature and increasing the cost by 80-100 %. A lot of people will not use the 3D feature so it is just an increase in cost for such people. I think they should have non-3D models too at a cheaper price.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 19th October 2012 at 10:11.
Old 19th October 2012, 10:24   #6079
BHPian

True Styler . Some sort of market manipulation on part of Panasonic here i guess . So Out goes, my plan for a 42" Plasma as i don't trust Samsung / LG .

Does any Body has any experience with toshiba . As Plasma is not there now, Next preference is for 32" LED . My requirement's are

1 ) Full HD .
2 ) Atleast 2 HDMI ports. More the better .
3 ) USB playback
4 ) Ability to Plug in Home theater

Nice to Have: -
Ability to play from External HDD via Media center Server .

Any ideas How much refresh rate should i look at . I am currently using 21" Samsung CRT TV and like to have similar TV viewing experience .

My budget is Around 40 K . Not sure if this is decent or not .
Old 19th October 2012, 12:29   #6080
BHPian

For under 40K you can get a 40" Samsung Series 5 LED without 3D from the grey market.
Styler.
Old 19th October 2012, 12:34   #6081
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar
True Styler . Some sort of market manipulation on part of Panasonic here i guess . So Out goes, my plan for a 42" Plasma as i don't trust Samsung / LG .

Does any Body has any experience with toshiba . As Plasma is not there now, Next preference is for 32" LED . My requirement's are

1 ) Full HD .
2 ) Atleast 2 HDMI ports. More the better .
3 ) USB playback
4 ) Ability to Plug in Home theater

Nice to Have: -
Ability to play from External HDD via Media center Server .

Any ideas How much refresh rate should i look at . I am currently using 21" Samsung CRT TV and like to have similar TV viewing experience .

My budget is Around 40 K . Not sure if this is decent or not .
For 38k full hd 3d LED from either Samsung or LG.
Old 19th October 2012, 15:18   #6082
BHPian

So Has finally settled on Below Panasonic LED. 32" Full HD LED .

http://www.panasonic.co.in/wps/porta...lcdtv/thl32e5d

we are 2 people and brand store guy has offer us 39 K On phone. He will better ( as per him) as and when we visit the store. Any ideas if this is a good price for this TV .

Anybody from NCR interested in pooling for a group Buy, Kindly PM me. the brand store is in GIP noida .
Old 20th October 2012, 13:25   #6083
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need some quick help here. My folks are keen on buying a 55 inch LED and they were initially checking out Samsung, LG, Hitachi, Sharp and Toshiba. Out of these, they shortlisted http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/t...UA55ES6200RLXL

I suggested them to have a look at Panasonic Viera. I have heard/read only good things and technology is way better than Koreans at the same price point too! They loved this model http://www.panasonic.co.in/wps/porta...cdtv/thl55et5d

Specs wise, Panasonic seems quite good and scores over Samsung in terms of price and freebies as well. However, since this will be out first non-Korean purchase (previous TVs were either Samsung or LG), I need opinion on after sales support and overall product performance.
Old 20th October 2012, 14:36   #6084
Senior - BHPian

@Nishantgandhi.

Both are fantastic. I definitely want to bring in Sony as well in this picture for they have some great deal and pricing for their 55inch. The 750 or 850 series have some good freebies as well.

Between the two you have shared, i am titled towards Samsung than Panasonic.

For Plasma i would have said, close your eyes and get the Panasonic. For LED i would still stick with Samsung.
Old 20th October 2012, 15:24   #6085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Nishantgandhi.

Both are fantastic. I definitely want to bring in Sony as well in this picture for they have some great deal and pricing for their 55inch. The 750 or 850 series have some good freebies as well.

Between the two you have shared, i am titled towards Samsung than Panasonic.

For Plasma i would have said, close your eyes and get the Panasonic. For LED i would still stick with Samsung.
Why Samsung for LED? Pana has IPS panel! Plus it has more connectivity options (4 HDMI vs 3 in Sammy and 3 USB vs 1 in Sammy).

Ain't Plasma a much older technology compared to LED/LCD? Also, I've heard the picture tube (or whatever it is called) in Plasma has limited life?

What superiority does plasma have over LED if you may elaborate? (I know that plasma TVs tend to present better picture contrast and black levels than LED TVs).

From what I've read and heard, plasma displays are prone to audible noise, are generally more power hungry compared to LEDs and prone to glare. Plus there is an imminent problem of 'burn' (though I don't know how far they have been able to rectify it in the current gen of TVs)
Old 20th October 2012, 20:04   #6086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi
Ain't Plasma a much older technology compared to LED/LCD? Also, I've heard the picture tube (or whatever it is called) in Plasma has limited life?

What superiority does plasma have over LED if you may elaborate? (I know that plasma TVs tend to present better picture contrast and black levels than LED TVs).

From what I've read and heard, plasma displays are prone to audible noise, are generally more power hungry compared to LEDs and prone to glare. Plus there is an imminent problem of 'burn' (though I don't know how far they have been able to rectify it in the current gen of TVs)
Plasma technology came into being before LCD/LED, to that extend it is older technology. However R&D hasn't stopped. Is automatic transmission better than manual? (Not diverging, rather making a point).

Plasmas provide better picture and more natural colours.

Noise: haven't heard any. Power hungry: yes. Glare: yes. Burn in: not a problem if you run in properly.

With so many apparent cons, why do people still buy plasmas? I believe they look at the core function of a product. At least that's what I do. A tv is for watching pictures, a music system is for sound, a mobile phone is for talking to people, a sofa is for sitting, etc, etc. So which tv gives me the best picture within my budget? If tv and movie studios strive to record and transmit best possible picture for my entertainment, I on my part want to see that on my tv screen, not a different shade of green, red, or grey. For me skin tones are very important. For this same reason I have no patience for mp3s mastered and encoded by any Tom and Harry, and mobile phone salespersons gaga over megapixel.

Re. Your previous question on after sales service. My experience with Panasonic has been good. I was delivered a showroom tv (had run 18 hours already). I complained and it was replaced in one week. Another member, Styler's tv developed a defect in its 2nd or 3rd year and it was replaced under warranty. More details in preceding pages.
Old 20th October 2012, 23:26   #6087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Why Samsung for LED? Pana has IPS panel! Plus it has more connectivity options (4 HDMI vs 3 in Sammy and 3 USB vs 1 in Sammy).
Opinion on many forums I have read is for a given price Samsung LED has better picture quality than other brand LEDs (but there might be exceptions).
Quote:
Life of Plasmas is greater than LCD/LEDs. For sure, their life will outlast urge to upgrade
Quote:

Better performance for fast moving objects.

Quote:

-I dont see /hear any noise
-power consumption would be more.
-glare is more in plasma. Panasonic plasmas are better due to anti-reflective panels.
-Burn-in can happen with extreme careless usage.
Old 23rd October 2012, 00:04   #6088
BHPian

Folks

My new P50XT50D is here.

I reckon it is the cheapest 50" TV in the market today (barring some 4 series Samsung 51" plasma, which frankly doesn't compare); but the picture's great and totally VFM.

Why is new highlighted above ??
Well, got conned by the dealer. By Pana brandshop, no less.

First things first, many thanks to TBhp'ian black12rr, for helping me in this whole episode. Guys like you make this forum such a great place.

On Saturday, after the TV was installed, I tried checking the hours, but somehow wasn't able to. And the delivery chaps were almost hassling me to sign the delivery note. So, I signed and sent them away.

Within minutes, I checked and what do I see - 253 hours & 138 on/off. Left a really bad taste. Esp since we've been waiting to get a new TV since years now. No worries, clicked a snap of the screen, and spoke to the dealer. As expected, he wouldn't accept that it's an used set and all. I asked him for his email id and mailed him the photo. Also, asked him if I should send the same email to Panasonic, to which the answer was a vehement "No". On 2nd call, he confirmed that a new set will be delivered on Monday (Sunday warehouse closed).

Today, the new TV got installed, with 2 min runtime and 1 on/off. The picture is definately better compared to the earlier set.

People, please be careful. It is a strange India we live in, seems like everyone is out to fool, cheat, con, loot the other.

Anyways, great picture, and awesome VFM.

cheers
lazy
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-20121020_171829.jpg  

Last edited by lazy : 23rd October 2012 at 00:29.
Old 23rd October 2012, 00:20   #6089
Senior - BHPian

^ How do you check the hours? And is it applicable to only Plasmas or even LEDs?
Old 23rd October 2012, 07:40   #6090
Senior - BHPian

@nishantgandhi

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ur-plasma.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks