Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:58   #4576
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
And I am not complaining my TV is not supporting some formats. I am quite very happy, since my LCD plays even the flv video files downloaded from Youtube.

Since, my tv is DLNA enabled and can pick up streaming videos from PC, need to check if it works. Simple!!!
You are confusing! OK let me put it like this- If a file is not being played by the TV there are two reasons, the TV natively does not support the format or the DLNA server is streaming it on a wrong way, so to rule out the problem with TV, check if the TV can play it at all! If it does not then there is no use checking other options.

If the there is no problem with TV then you can try things with media server. To check for DLNA capability why not start with simpler formats?

I am sorry but I thought (by your initial question) that you were indeed having a problem with a specific format and after all the answers now you say you are just testing the DLNA capability!!

Quote:
And I believe, only one media server should be present in my laptop. Once back home, will try to remove pc share manager and check with Mezzmo. Dont work, will remove Mezzmo and try with TVersity, if no luck, will remove it and try with PS3 media server.
I am not too sure about your laptop; but I have two- one runs on XP and another on Win7; both have a multitude of DLNA servers running simultaneously without any problem!

Last edited by anilisanil : 22nd March 2011 at 13:59.
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:32   #4577
BHPian

@anil - do you have PC share from Samsung working on Win7 Enterprise . I tried but was not able to get it to work. I stopped and used Windows Media Center instead.
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:34   #4578
BHPian

Hey anil,

I have never mentioned here that I am having a problem with some video files.

I believe yajaman, had once said that he can stream videos to the TV. So posted here how to do the stuffs.

In my TV, I can see my laptop listed in the Source as DLNA. I believe this is due to PC Share Manager. But could not see the media server from Mezzmo listed.

And I ams also able to play the files stored in my Laptop through Share Manager. Just need to know how the streaming works. Using the streaming, I am under an impression, if the video play in my Laptop, the same will be projected in my TV too. So no hassle in conversion of any sorts.

Final Say:
How to stream videos from my Laptop to my LCD?

When going through the guide for Mezzmo, it was mentioned to turn off any other media servers installed. So thought, only one media server should be active.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate.

Last edited by dre@ms : 22nd March 2011 at 14:36.
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:48   #4579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
@anil - do you have PC share from Samsung working on Win7 Enterprise . I tried but was not able to get it to work. I stopped and used Windows Media Center instead.
I have it work from the Win 7 basic (not too sure about the trade name of the most basic version)

@Dreams: Will be really happy to help you mate, just that I got confused on what you wanted.

DLNA streaming is working for me. Mine is Series 5 LED. Compatible DLNA servers are :

1) PC share manager.
2) TV Mobili.
3) TVersity.
4) PS3 Media Server (I dont have a PS3, but this works with my Samsung)
5) WMP 12
6) Sony Vaio grace note server (or something like that)

Only PC share manager worked almost with all the files I had. Others had problems with streaming certain formats and hence I settled with PC Share Manager. The only flaw with PCSM is that it does not play a movie beyond 2 hours. So I will have to split them.

My Setup is Vaio/DELL running on Win7/XP connected to UTStarcomm BSNL broadband router through Wifi. TV is connected to router via LAN Cable. I never had to fiddle with my AVG firewall to get this done. I never tried Mezzmo so cannot comment on that.
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:43   #4580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I have it work from the Win 7 basic (not too sure about the trade name of the most basic version)

@Dreams: Will be really happy to help you mate, just that I got confused on what you wanted.

DLNA streaming is working for me. Mine is Series 5 LED. Compatible DLNA servers are :

1) PC share manager.
2) TV Mobili.
3) TVersity.
4) PS3 Media Server (I dont have a PS3, but this works with my Samsung)
5) WMP 12
6) Sony Vaio grace note server (or something like that)

Only PC share manager worked almost with all the files I had. Others had problems with streaming certain formats and hence I settled with PC Share Manager. The only flaw with PCSM is that it does not play a movie beyond 2 hours. So I will have to split them.

My Setup is Vaio/DELL running on Win7/XP connected to UTStarcomm BSNL broadband router through Wifi. TV is connected to router via LAN Cable. I never had to fiddle with my AVG firewall to get this done. I never tried Mezzmo so cannot comment on that.
VLC player is also a very capable and free media streaming software/server along with being one of the best video players for Windows.
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:22   #4581
BHPian

Ahhhhhhhhh....Everybody says it is working for me..it is working for me..And all are giving a zillion products to choose.

I am ready to choose, but the problem is my LCD is picking up only PCSM and nothing else.

@anil
Glad you like to help me

My setup is,

Airtel Modem connected to Belkin Router using a Ethernet cable.

LCD TV is connected to the Belkin router using another Ethernet cable.

My Acer laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate is connected to the Belkin router through Wifi. So, both my LCD TV and Acer laptop are on the same IP range.

Since I have installed PCSM, my laptop shows up in the LCD TV. I have also installed Mezzmo, but this Mezzmo media server is not shown in the TV.

I am on the technical side, so did all R&D and none helped.

Can some one walkthrough me, how to stream videos from my Acer Laptop to my LCD TV?
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:36   #4582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can some one walkthrough me, how to stream videos from my Acer Laptop to my LCD TV?
OK tell me this, what is/are the problems that you are facing with PC ShareManager? Did that work at all or not? If your Laptop is seen on your TV interface then your Upnp interface is enabled, all you need to do now is to share (drag and drop the files you want to share from left hand side to the RHS).

Once you do that, allow sharing to your TV by setting to device policy to allow sharing. Then refresh the DB, when this is done PC share manager collects the media information(unfortunately the progress window is not too intuitive and one might think that PC share manager got stuck, but please wait until the progress window disappears). After this you can see all the files you shared on your TV in the media interface.

I reckon the same should be true for Mezzmo or any DLNA server. If it is still not working, kindly mention the step by step procedure of your sharing.
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:57   #4583
BHPian

@anil
The above process is working for me. But, I want to play the videos on my Laptop, which will be seen in the TV.

Like, I connect my Laptop to the TV using a HDMI, play any videos and the same will be mirrored on the TV.

The same way, I need to do wireless. So the term streaming.
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:07   #4584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@anil
The above process is working for me. But, I want to play the videos on my Laptop, which will be seen in the TV.

Like, I connect my Laptop to the TV using a HDMI, play any videos and the same will be mirrored on the TV.

The same way, I need to do wireless. So the term streaming.

You want to share your desktop (with audio) over DLNA? I am not too sure that is possible. At least, none such application is commercially available.

There is a "Play to" option in WMP 12 where you can control the play back from laptop but not too sure if the video plays along with TV, it does not work for me.

But why do you want to do that?
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:18   #4585
BHPian

DLNA is a standard for media playback. It has nothing to do with connecting your TV as a monitor.

Basically what needs to be done is the Laptop to TV connection made wireless. There's a product from ASUS - WiiCast which would let you do this.

Check out more info here : Asus WiCast: Wireless 1080p to your TV - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
You want to share your desktop (with audio) over DLNA? I am not too sure that is possible. At least, none such application is commercially available.

There is a "Play to" option in WMP 12 where you can control the play back from laptop but not too sure if the video plays along with TV, it does not work for me.

But why do you want to do that?
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:42   #4586
BHPian

Then how do we stream videos from PC to TV? Forget the audio part.

If the above is the one I want, then I do not want to convert any files which is not working in TV when directly connecting the HDD.
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:39   #4587
Senior - BHPian

To stream your desktop, you need a software that captures desktop, and converts that to a video stream.

This is a tutorial for that :

Use Windows Media Encoder to capture the Windows desktop « Serial Digital

However, unless you have real fast CPU it would not work for video playback since rate of change would be too much for PC to handle in real time.
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:15   #4588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I wonder which TV does not switch between NTSC and PAL today.
+1, even my 10 year old Onida 21" CRT TV used to do that automatically. Even it has selection - Auto, PAL or NTSC.

No doubt about flat panel displays - they must have it.
Old 23rd March 2011, 15:38   #4589

Quote:
Then how do we stream videos from PC to TV? Forget the audio part.

If the above is the one I want, then I do not want to convert any files which is not working in TV when directly connecting the HDD.
I think the WiCast mentioned in earlier post is what you should try for. If you are not sticking to using Wireless, one option is to connect the laptop to LCD using HDMI and then use Windows Media Center remote (since you are using Windows 7 Ultimate, you already have Media Center built-in) to control the laptop and play movies as you like. This is what I used to use in my old HT configuration.
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:50   #4590
BHPian

Saw the Samsung C450 and LG (42" - forgot the model) today at croma. Since these OEM's are carrying 1 year warranty, does the croma extended warranty of 2 years really help?

Has anyone had a first hand experience of croma extended warranty for TV's?

How diff is the croma EW vs OEM EW?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks