Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 01:39   #3826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I read somewhere that some C550 sets have a buzzing sound problem. I have shortlisted the PK550. I'm still waiting for a quotation on the 60". The 50" seems to be great value for money.
Atleast my Sammy c450 is not buzzing. At all. Till now.
Also it is reflective so brughtly lit rooms can be a prob.

I would suggest you to check over net. Many lgpk550 owners have reported some issue with it.
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:42   #3827
BHPian

You're right! Many owners reported an issue with green pixels in black areas of the picture. However, this was a firmware related problem which appears to have been resolved by LG. The only other issues are glare and some image retention.

I saw LG's 47" 5500 full LED with local dimming on display yesterday. Played some SD content as well as HD and it looked pretty good. Colors are vivid and bright with deep blacks and a sharp image. Surprisingly, the TV didn't have the dreaded soap opera effect that Samsung LEDs are plagued with. I'm confused again! Anyone here have any feedback on the 5500?
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:12   #3828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
I decided against the edge lit LEDs and if no back lit LED LCD Tvs with local dimming are available, I might just go in for a plasma (and hope I dont get the dreaded burn in).
Can you pl recommend a few 42" full HD plasmas, other than the ubiquitous Panasonic V20.
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:54   #3829
BHPian

Quote:
I saw LG's 47" 5500 full LED with local dimming on display yesterday. Played some SD content as well as HD and it looked pretty good. Colors are vivid and bright with deep blacks and a sharp image. Surprisingly, the TV didn't have the dreaded soap opera effect that Samsung LEDs are plagued with. I'm confused again! Anyone here have any feedback on the 5500?
The 5500 is an edge lit LED LCD TV and not a back lit one a la LG42LH90 (thats one you can try out - I've heard good reviews about it). the CNET review mentions that its got a lot of blooming since the local dimming isnt implemented properly. See review here LG 47LE5500 Flat-panel TV reviews - CNET Reviews

However, do a thorough audition with lots of content and decide for yourself whether it works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Can you pl recommend a few 42" full HD plasmas, other than the ubiquitous Panasonic V20.
LG PK550 and Samsung C550 are good options to look for. Though more value for money, they apparently dont match the Panasonic in terms of PQ.
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:05   #3830
BHPian

I think I'm going to go for the PK550! I have just been quoted:

1. Rs. 62k for the 50"(readily available)
2. Rs. 117k for the 60" (will be available by the end of the month)

Many folks are discouraging me by saying that plasma is an old technology, more power consumption, panel contains mercury etc. However I feel that it's great value for money and the picture is smoother as compared to the lcd/led tvs. Ultimately, it's a tv which I'm going to use for watching movies and hence I'm going for PQ instead of all the new technology blah blah! I will probably be upgrading to a 3D tv in the next 4-5 years when 3d tech improves and there's a lot more 3D content available.

In any case, suggestions are welcome!
Old 3rd August 2010, 17:44   #3831
BHPian

Picked up a Sony LCD 32EX500 this weekend from Devi Electronics, this supposedly gives a 100 Hz refresh rate so fast motion does not give the perception of jerkiness.
Yet to run through all the features. All incl. cost in Bangalore with wall mounting 46K.
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:20   #3832
BHPian

Quote:
I think I'm going to go for the PK550! I have just been quoted:

1. Rs. 62k for the 50"(readily available)
2. Rs. 117k for the 60" (will be available by the end of the month)

Many folks are discouraging me by saying that plasma is an old technology, more power consumption, panel contains mercury etc. However I feel that it's great value for money and the picture is smoother as compared to the lcd/led tvs. Ultimately, it's a tv which I'm going to use for watching movies and hence I'm going for PQ instead of all the new technology blah blah! I will probably be upgrading to a 3D tv in the next 4-5 years when 3d tech improves and there's a lot more 3D content available.

In any case, suggestions are welcome!
Congrats. Do post your experience once you get the set.

I am thinking the same way as you so will also probably go in for a Plasma pretty soon.
One thing to remember is that the firmware fix for the green pixels issue mentioned in other forums is done from July batch onwards so make sure you get a latest piece.
Old 4th August 2010, 18:48   #3833
Senior - BHPian

hey guys,

the left over pieces of panasonic 42c10 is available for 35k with a proper tax invoice, at the sec'bad panasonic brandshop, afaik this is the cheapest rate in hyd. just picked up a couple for myself. good vfm.

expect for the black levels, found it on par with the panasonic 42x20.

ps: expect being a regular customer, i am in no-ways related to the store.
Old 7th August 2010, 00:19   #3834
Senior - BHPian

I spent a couple of hours in matching the LCD and LED screens. There is a great difference between both. LED really gives great clarity.
Old 7th August 2010, 11:53   #3835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
I spent a couple of hours in matching the LCD and LED screens. There is a great difference between both. LED really gives great clarity.
I found the picture on an LED, unusually sharp and bright. LED TVs especially the Samsung models suffer from the soap opera effect.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:38   #3836
BHPian

decided for samsung 40c530

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@skdking: Go for samsung C 530 or C650.
Have decided for samsung 40 c530 finally.

Will get the delivery tomorrow (10 Aug 10).

When I compared it with LG 40 LH60YR I found the image quality comparable, maybe better also.

Will submit a detailed report for everyone later.
Old 10th August 2010, 11:43   #3837
Senior - BHPian

Finally got home LA46c550.
yet to be installed and also waiting for the Airtel Digital TV(Recorder) to be fitted
(one week waiting time for the STB)
Old 10th August 2010, 14:04   #3838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Finally got home LA46c550.
yet to be installed and also waiting for the Airtel Digital TV(Recorder) to be fitted
(one week waiting time for the STB)
Congrats! Did you get the Airtel HD along with it?
Old 10th August 2010, 14:23   #3839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats! Did you get the Airtel HD along with it?
+
No No, Airtel connection is not a free offer with the TV but I booked it seperately (Airtel HD DVR).
Samsung giving good cash discount.
Old 10th August 2010, 15:25   #3840
BHPian

Is Panasonic Plasma (PV8) good enough panel to play PS3 games? I know inherently the plasmas have better refresh rates, but is there anything else to look for?

Pune prices: The full HD 50" plasmas (LG) are available for 69k in Croma. A bit surprised. That cheap? I see someone quoting 60k for the same? Quite surprised. What's the cost of 50" full HD Pana?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks