Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 23:08   #3961
BHPian

Samsung 40C6900 or 40C6200

I was in total mood to go for the 40C6900 today and i went to the Samsung plaza. The difference between the two LEDs is mainly the internet@TV and this feature with the dongle included would cost me 16000 more (6K for the dongle itself). I stepped back a little and wanted to take opinion from this forum whether it is worth the extra amount or not. I did not however notice any difference in the HD and non HD video rendering on the panels on 6200 and 6900. Morover the 6900 has limited widgets of the internet. Am i thinking correct or do the experts think the 6900 has some other significant edge over the 6200 which i might need in the future. Need help.
Old 3rd October 2010, 00:19   #3962
BHPian

If I were you, I'd go for the 6200 and build an HTPC for that 16K giving you infinitely more option than those stupid widgets. An i3 530 based HTPC should fit in for 16K-18K. Atom-Ion based Media Centric boxes should be even cheaper (Ex. Acer Revo)

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 3rd October 2010 at 00:20.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:31   #3963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayyar.rao View Post
I was in total mood to go for the 40C6900 today and i went to the Samsung plaza. The difference between the two LEDs is mainly the internet@TV and this feature with the dongle included would cost me 16000 more (6K for the dongle itself). I stepped back a little and wanted to take opinion from this forum whether it is worth the extra amount or not. I did not however notice any difference in the HD and non HD video rendering on the panels on 6200 and 6900. Morover the 6900 has limited widgets of the internet. Am i thinking correct or do the experts think the 6900 has some other significant edge over the 6200 which i might need in the future. Need help.
Go for the best picture without any frills. All extras offered with TV cost 2 to 4 times more than the features implemented separately. Get either a HTPC or a media centre switch. I have a Denon and all appliances - TV, DTH and computer are switched through it. A large screen will last 5 years, but the frills can be upgraded as and when new stuff comes.
Old 3rd October 2010, 15:24   #3964
BANNED

aroy, what is a "htpc / media center switch"? Since you mention Denon, did you mean AVR (Audio-video receiver)?
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:55   #3965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
If I were you, I'd go for the 6200 and build an HTPC for that 16K giving you infinitely more option than those stupid widgets. An i3 530 based HTPC should fit in for 16K-18K. Atom-Ion based Media Centric boxes should be even cheaper (Ex. Acer Revo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Go for the best picture without any frills. All extras offered with TV cost 2 to 4 times more than the features implemented separately. Get either a HTPC or a media centre switch. I have a Denon and all appliances - TV, DTH and computer are switched through it. A large screen will last 5 years, but the frills can be upgraded as and when new stuff comes.
So true. Agreed guys. So 6200 it would be. Getting it at 88000 + Airtel HD DTH. Any other place i can get a better deal in Bangalore?
Old 4th October 2010, 09:48   #3966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
aroy, what is a "htpc / media center switch"? Since you mention Denon, did you mean AVR (Audio-video receiver)?
HTPC is PC used as a media centre. It replaces a dedicated AVR. It would have various I/O ports as well as a receiver. The PC would be used to switch between various ports. So you connect everything to the PC and route the signals, say between the DTH receiver and the TV or Monitor and TV, etc.

Yes Denon is AVR receiver. It has multiple HDMI, Composite and component I/O, Surround Processor, Video processor, Amp etc. We use it as a switch for video and amp for sound. There are various models with different combination of HDMI, amp power and other I/O inputs.

At present we have 2 DTH receivers - Tata Sky and Dish TV, a laptop, an LCD TV and speakers connected to the Denon. A universal remote controls all devices. For the Laptop there is an external 23" LG TV/Monitor which was used as a HDMI switch before we got the Denon. We can switch between the monitor and TV as a second monitor for the laptop.
Old 4th October 2010, 10:38   #3967

(The Soap Opera effect is a side effect caused by the manufacturers' attempts to enhance the picture quality to rival images rendered by plasma. However, this ends up making the picture look artificially hyper-real. The result is that movies like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings appear as if they were made by the team of The Bold and the Beautiful!

You can raed more about it here;
Help Key: Why 120Hz looks “weird”)

This 120hz can be turned of or on as per requirnment. ie. for movies turn it off, for fast action sports like F1 or motogp keep it on.

Last edited by pete mitchell : 4th October 2010 at 10:55.
Old 4th October 2010, 10:43   #3968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
HTPC is PC used as a media centre. It replaces a dedicated AVR.
HTPC can not replace AVR, because AVR does amplification as well.

In case of HTPC, you will have to purchase a 5.1 channel amplifier and that cost almost as much as an AVR.

Or you can buy a cheaper speaker + amplifier package from Logitech etc, but sound output will be poor *(as compared to component HT systems).
Old 4th October 2010, 11:48   #3969
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
In case of HTPC, you will have to purchase a 5.1 channel amplifier and that cost almost as much as an AVR.

Yes; and that is why I have defacto dropped the plans for a HTPC. I would not be satisfied with a powered speaker system from the like of Logitech / Creative. I was thinking that Ihave missed something when aroy said that.
Old 4th October 2010, 15:52   #3970
BHPian

Quote:
Question guys: I am planning a home entertainment set up with a Dell Inspiron Zino, Tata Sky and existing Philips DVD player.
Here's the catch. The monitor/TV screen should double up as a good home computer screen as well. Within 35-40k I could acquire an Apple Cinema display (27 inch, full HD), or go for a Samsung/Sony 32/26 inch LCD/LED TV. Note that I have no real use for a TV tuner with DTH, and I have a tight budget if I go for the Inspiron Zino HD. What are my best options under 40k? Would it be a big mistake to put up Dell's 23 inch HD monitor up in the living room?
Bumping up for my understanding, and hope others on the thread will benefit as well. Could one of the experts please help me understand whether it is necessary to go for a "TV" for high quality display (Video+Text) when Tuners are now usually external STBs?
Old 4th October 2010, 17:39   #3971
BHPian

Guys please suggest me 32" LCD within 25K. Full HD is not essentially required - but if I can have it - it will be great.
Old 4th October 2010, 19:34   #3972
BANNED

u_chill - what exactly do you mean by "high quality"?

To a large extent, display / viewing comfort is determined by viewing distance too. Please have a look at the link to a viewing distance chart, posted within the last 2-3 pages here.

For a viewing distance of 10-12 feet, you require a 38 inch screen.

AFAICT, TVs with full HD capability do not come with screens smaller than 38 inches. So, if you insist on a smaller screen, and still want full HD viewing, you will require a monitor capability of 1080 pixel.

I was thinking on same lines as you till 2-3 weeks back; but right now, I am of view that it is better to keep the PC out of HT system. (Particularly for audio reasons, at least in my case). To an extent, this also because of power consumption - a computer cosnumer far more power than a normal TV.

Yes, the tuner circuit in a TV is very much waste if we are using a DTH.
Old 4th October 2010, 20:24   #3973
BHPian

Quote:
u_chill - what exactly do you mean by "high quality"?
Thanks Backseatdriver, your points are helpful. Let me explain: My requirement is no more than 32 inches, and no less than 26 inches. The TV has always been a non-priority device in this family, however I could do well with a computer that can stream video over wi-fi into my living room. It is important that this "screen" doubles up for internet surfing, and reading large amounts of text. I am not quite sure if a standard 32 inch LCD/LED TV can achieve that, though it may present video in high quality.
In comes the new 27 inch Apple Cinema display, which meets all criteria, but a) is tad expensive for the screen size b) lacks standard input ports....I want to integrate with a Windows based HTPC and standard STB. Samsung sells some large SyncMaster screens, though obtaining one over 23 inches may take some effort. Next is what?
Old 4th October 2010, 21:08   #3974
BANNED

Hey buddy, Toshiba has solution for you. You must go for Toshiba's Glass-less REGZA 3D TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
I don't see a point in 3d yet - frankly i can't be wearing 3d glasses when watching a movie while relaxing at home
Old 4th October 2010, 21:41   #3975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Guys please suggest me 32" LCD within 25K. Full HD is not essentially required - but if I can have it - it will be great.
Any help will be appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks