Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 16:06   #3841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Pune prices: The full HD 50" plasmas (LG) are available for 69k in Croma. A bit surprised. That cheap?
The Full HD 50" PK550 retails for 62K. The lowest quote I got was Rs. 58k from kohinoor. However they are out of stock. It seems that the 550 TVs are selling like hotcakes.
Old 10th August 2010, 20:39   #3842
BHPian

Quote:
Is Panasonic Plasma (PV8) good enough panel to play PS3 games? I know inherently the plasmas have better refresh rates, but is there anything else to look for?
Plasmas have better refresh rates BUT they are prone to Burn In / Image retention specially if you play games that have HUD which remains constant on the screen. So you have to be careful about that.
Old 10th August 2010, 21:16   #3843
Senior - BHPian

Philips is back; with world's first 21:9 ! pretty costly for 52inch
Old 11th August 2010, 15:15   #3844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Philips is back; with world's first 21:9 ! pretty costly for 52inch
+
you said ''phillips is back'' - does this mean that phillips had any production or supply problem in kerala? I have been trying to get Home theatre system but nothing is available in the market in my place or even nearby cities??? (what my shop guy told me was that the main dealer and phillips have some problem hence no latest tv's or HTS not available now?)
Old 16th August 2010, 14:31   #3845
BHPian

I got my new LG 50PK550 delivered yesterday. My initial impression is that this set kicks some serious butt and is amazing value for money. The picture quality is much better than the so called LED's being marketed so aggressively and sold at 3 times the price for a similar size.

I haven't found any flaws except for a bit of banding which is common to plasmas. The picture quality is fantastic with rich colors and extremely smooth and judder free motion. I have been watching this set froma distcnce of 6 ft. I have been watcing SD movies by connecting my 500gb external hard disk. This model is compatible EHD's with upto 1TB capacity. What's even better is that the Tv has a great interface for browsing through your EHD. The LG remote has play, pause, stop etc video buttons that virtually converts your USB/ EHD into a dvd player.

The SD (DVD) pictutre quality is fantastic. I still haven't tried any HD content but I'm sure that it'll be mind blowing. I know some of you guys are considering getting a big plasma. I would strongly recommend the PK550R!
Old 16th August 2010, 16:23   #3846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is Panasonic Plasma (PV8) good enough panel to play PS3 games? I know inherently the plasmas have better refresh rates, but is there anything else to look for?
Been using a PV8 + PS3 combo for 1.5years. Wonderful experience. Yes there will be a bit of image retention at times, visible when you switch off the panel, but it goes away. No permanent burn-in issues at all.
Old 16th August 2010, 17:57   #3847
Senior - BHPian

The webpage of LG 50PK550 is nothing but a crisp n clear blank page in IE8, Opera 10.6, Chrome 6....

LG 50PK550 Plasma TV - Crisp & Clear Images Ensure you become part of what you watch. - LG Electronics IN

What's the power consumption of this set? The USA site is (cleverly?) silent about this factor:
http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...tv-50PK550.jsp

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 16th August 2010 at 18:05.
Old 16th August 2010, 18:22   #3848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
The webpage of LG 50PK550 is nothing but a crisp n clear blank page in IE8, Opera 10.6, Chrome 6....

LG 50PK550 Plasma TV - Crisp & Clear Images Ensure you become part of what you watch. - LG Electronics IN

What's the power consumption of this set? The USA site is (cleverly?) silent about this factor:
LG 50PK550 Televisions - Full HD 1080p Plasma TV (50.0" diagonally) - LG Electronics US
Pretty strange. The page was there a couple of days ago! Don't go by the specs on the USA site. The model sold in India is the PK550R while the US version is the PK550. They are slightly different in terms of features.
Old 16th August 2010, 20:39   #3849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I got my new LG 50PK550 delivered yesterday. My initial impression is that this set kicks some serious butt and is amazing value for money. The picture quality is much better than the so called LED's being marketed so aggressively and sold at 3 times the price for a similar size.

I haven't found any flaws except for a bit of banding which is common to plasmas. The picture quality is fantastic with rich colors and extremely smooth and judder free motion. I have been watching this set froma distcnce of 6 ft. I have been watcing SD movies by connecting my 500gb external hard disk. This model is compatible EHD's with upto 1TB capacity. What's even better is that the Tv has a great interface for browsing through your EHD. The LG remote has play, pause, stop etc video buttons that virtually converts your USB/ EHD into a dvd player.

The SD (DVD) pictutre quality is fantastic. I still haven't tried any HD content but I'm sure that it'll be mind blowing. I know some of you guys are considering getting a big plasma. I would strongly recommend the PK550R!
Congrats Wolfheart!! I am considering the same set and had a few questions. Hope you can help me by answering them

Can you tell me the final price you managed to get and the shop?
Do you see any of the dancing green pixels mentioned in the hifivision site?
Can you play HD movies from the USB or only SD?
How does the set play regular SD content like our regular TV serials etc?
Have you tried playing any games on it using PS3/XBox/Wii?

Once again congrats and hope you have many blissful hours watching the best movies!
Old 17th August 2010, 13:45   #3850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Congrats Wolfheart!! I am considering the same set and had a few questions. Hope you can help me by answering them

Can you tell me the final price you managed to get and the shop?
Do you see any of the dancing green pixels mentioned in the hifivision site?
Can you play HD movies from the USB or only SD?
How does the set play regular SD content like our regular TV serials etc?
Have you tried playing any games on it using PS3/XBox/Wii?

Once again congrats and hope you have many blissful hours watching the best movies!
Thanks dude! I'll answer your questions in the order that you asked:

1. I paid 57.5k after trading in an old CRT. It's the LG Shoppe at Sanatcruz (East) just off the highway on station road.
2. No dancing pixels noticed so far. I've been watching it from just 6ft away.
3. I haven't tried HD yet. My EHD is full of .avi files.
4. TV content is pretty decent if you have a good connection. My cable conn. has a lt of noise. I'm waiting for the Airtel HD to be delivered. It comes free with the TV.
5. I have a PS3 but haven't had a chance to play yet. Would do it over the weekend and let you know.

If you're considering this set, just go to a shop and demo it with your hard disk. If satisfied, just buy it. It's a sweet deal at 57K!
Old 17th August 2010, 23:53   #3851
BHPian

Does any brand manufacture IPS panel computer monitors?
Old 18th August 2010, 16:07   #3852
BHPian

Lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Does any brand manufacture IPS panel computer monitors?
LG does it. But why do you ask?
Old 18th August 2010, 23:57   #3853
BHPian

i am looking to buy a 42 inch flat tv .which do you think is better lcd or plasma and how would you rate panasonic plasma's
Old 19th August 2010, 09:05   #3854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
i am looking to buy a 42 inch flat tv .which do you think is better lcd or plasma and how would you rate panasonic plasma's
I have Pani from 1 year - TH42C10, HD ready. You can go for S10 or X10 which is HD Ready IMO. It is VFM.
For initial 2 months lower contrast to @35-40, sharpness @15 and color@30 (all are default 50).
After 2 months or 200 hrs - only increase color to 35 and sharpness to 45.

Its good to watch with great colors. Don't keep Panel facing towards light source.
Old 19th August 2010, 23:06   #3855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
I have Pani from 1 year - TH42C10, HD ready. You can go for S10 or X10 which is HD Ready IMO. It is VFM.
For initial 2 months lower contrast to @35-40, sharpness @15 and color@30 (all are default 50).
After 2 months or 200 hrs - only increase color to 35 and sharpness to 45.

Its good to watch with great colors. Don't keep Panel facing towards light source.
thanks for the advice but i have finalised th 42g10 which is full hd with neopdp panel.i am getting it at 62k .how would you rate it and what about the price ,is it ok

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks