Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2010, 23:46   #3736
Senior - BHPian

@frank are you there on hivision too? I saw your handle there and wondered if its you.
Old 18th July 2010, 23:54   #3737
Senior - BHPian

yes, it's me ;-) There IS only ONE frankmehta ;-)
Old 19th July 2010, 00:18   #3738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@pmbabu: yes I did and according to some of the reviews I found on the net, they preferred Samsung to LG. Plus LD460 is going around 35K so when Sammy is being given for 32K it makes the case even more. Now the dilemma is if a Samsung LED 32c5000 can be had for 39K is it a worth going for deal?
After spending almost 2 weeks with my LG 42LD460, I am fairly impressed. I had compared the pictures in the Samsung C550 and the LG LD460 and found them comparable. Also LG had a price (49K vs 54K) and size (42" vs 40") advantage.

The only thing that I don't like about the LD460 is the below average black performance at off-angles. I sometimes prefer to sit at the corner of the sofa, and the blacks are pretty bad. I am not sure about the Samsung.

Sound lacks bass, but clarity is good. The LD460 palys movies from a USB hard drive. I am impressed with the HD playback. I tried a number of 1080p mkv files, and play was smooth. Bad news is that I have to remix all my DTS movies to Dolby. The TV isn't even passing through the raw audio stream to the reciever, which my WD TV player used to do. But I am not going back to the WD player now. FLVs are supposed to be supported, but didn't play.

DTH and cable playback was bad until I took some time and calibrated it. Looks better now.

Consider this too: The 42LD460 is the thinnest (76.6mm) and the lightest (13.7kg) 42/40 inch CCFL-backlit LCD TV I have seen so far.

Summing up:
+ Price
+ HD playback
+ Thin and light

- Bad black performance at off angles
- No DTS support
- Only 2 HDMI ports

Edit: This same model is available in the US as LD450 with video playback disabled (Some have managed to enable it too). Look up in amazon.com and walmart.com for user reviews.

Last edited by civic-sense : 19th July 2010 at 00:30.
Old 19th July 2010, 18:31   #3739
Senior - BHPian

Whilst I was comparing the tv models Klv46ex400(sony) and Lg42LH60yr (still confusing to select a right tv), it was given in the specifications that the width of the both TV's are as under:

Lg 42 lh 60 -1105mm which means 43.5 inch
klv 46 ex 400 - 1127mm which means 44.4 inches.

if above is correct, the difference in screen size(width or length) is only
one inch against the basic size of 42 and 46inch?

Those who are using the lg 42 lh yr - can you please check and kindly confirm the
actual size of your screen??
Thanks
Old 19th July 2010, 19:13   #3740
BHPian

LG 42LH60YR: Actual Panel dimension (visible) diagonally 43.5"
Rectangle (visible panel): 37" X 20.75'

(When a standard 4:3 Aspect Ratio picture is viewed the diagonal measurement of the picture is 34.25" i.e., it is equivalent to a 34.25" standard TV - mentioned here just for interest)
Old 20th July 2010, 09:38   #3741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
LG 42LH60YR: Actual Panel dimension (visible) diagonally 43.5"
Rectangle (visible panel): 37" X 20.75'

(When a standard 4:3 Aspect Ratio picture is viewed the diagonal measurement of the picture is 34.25" i.e., it is equivalent to a 34.25" standard TV - mentioned here just for interest)
+
Thanks information.
So LG's claim that the width of the tv is 1105 mm means (may be) the total length from frame to frame (length) and not the actual screen size.?
Old 20th July 2010, 15:41   #3742
Senior - BHPian

We need a basic LCD TV (preferably 32 inch), which will be wall-mount.
It will be basically a replacement for a 21 inch CRT TV. I need no frills, just a basic model will do. However, a USB port to directly play DivX will be a boon.

Can't really specify a budget as of now, don't know much about current market rates.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by DCEite : 20th July 2010 at 15:49.
Old 20th July 2010, 17:14   #3743
Senior - BHPian

Decite, i just had exactly similar requirements and bought panasonic X9 model for 28k. real cheap and good value. save money and go HD ready.
Old 20th July 2010, 17:43   #3744
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for comment, kutlee.

What about the new Pansonic (which retails for 24k) I think model is 32C22.

Does X9 have divx playing capability through USB ?
Old 20th July 2010, 18:32   #3745
BHPian

I have a quick question -
My sister bought a Sony bravia 32" EX400 full HD tv over the week-end and it was delivered yesterday. She is not happy with the picture AND sound. Showroom (Croma Aundh) sent a guy and his HD DVDs play fine but normal DVDs and cable are crap. All this is hearsay as I have not been to her house yet due to work.

Still I think it must be poor if even she can notice the difference in video/audio
Croma tried hard to prove its not a faulty piece but I suggested she get a replacement in any case - Now, should we get the same model or are there any other 32" we should look at (with good audio)?

Earlier I had suggested her a LG model too but she was hell-bent on Sony (why do most technophobes insist only on big brands? oh well she bought a Swift too so I know when I lost that battle in the past!) sorry for the long post. hope to get a response from the electronics whizkids/men here as we have to do this tomorrow.
Old 20th July 2010, 19:34   #3746
Senior - BHPian

no DECite, it just has SD card reader just for photos. it is no frills tv. i don't know about C22 model.
Old 20th July 2010, 19:47   #3747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Does X9 have divx playing capability through USB ?
My Samsung plasma has the USB slot but I always play my movies via a Philips DVD player which has a USB in and a HDMI out. It upscales it and hence the video looks much better. So you wont miss the USB slot on your TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
I have a quick question - She is not happy with the picture AND sound.
Plasmas are generally better at playing SD content. However, in showooms, they always play through a bluray, so LCDs look better/brighter at showroom. Quite the contrary in reality.

Guys, can you please post the prices for the TVs that you have bought?

Last edited by Proxima : 20th July 2010 at 19:48.
Old 20th July 2010, 20:09   #3748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Plasmas are generally better at playing SD content. However, in showooms, they always play through a bluray, so LCDs look better/brighter at showroom. Quite the contrary in reality.
Not true most of the showroom play popular channels using Settop boxes so you can easily compare as all of them are SD except couple of channels.

On the other hand I feel Plasma looks better to some people on purely psychological grounds because they have been told contrast level is better in plasma but then they don't see CRT as best for SD by same logic because no plasma can meet contrast ratio of CRT.

BTW SD content looks good to me on C650 and B550 from normal cable but then it may be just my eyes.

Last edited by amitk26 : 20th July 2010 at 20:10.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:31   #3749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Not true most of the showroom play popular channels using Settop boxes so you can easily compare as all of them are SD except couple of channels.

On the other hand I feel Plasma looks better to some people on purely psychological grounds because they have been told contrast level is better in plasma but then they don't see CRT as best for SD by same logic because no plasma can meet contrast ratio of CRT.

BTW SD content looks good to me on C650 and B550 from normal cable but then it may be just my eyes.
Well atleast in Bangalore most of the shops play either Blueray stuff or DTH. I've not seen them use cable though they have it. If you force them to change it they will try to turn to channels which have the best clarity. Nat Geo, Animal Planet etc...

I don't agree to the psychological thing about Plasma's. I've taken newbies and relatives who have no idea about differences between Plasma and LCD and most have agreed that Plasma's look better even with Blue Ray content. And I'm talking about right from the time when Panasonic was the only guy selling Plasma's in India.

Yes, a lot of folks go for Sony blindly. Especially if you go to a Sony showroom, they typically play beautiful Blue Ray content and the colours, brightness, contrast, clarity etc appeals to them. Plus the snob value is always there.

Remember all multi brand shops will push the TV that gives them the biggest margins and commissioins. They will even manipulate the settings of the TV's to show one in poor light and the other as having a better picture quality. Also placement matters. First row or last row. Separate or just squeezed in between other brands. All that depends on how much the TV brand is willing to shell out. Having a brother who owned a multi brand TV shop helps.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:42   #3750
BHPian

LG is the best VFM product in the market right now. I got 42-LH60 model which is a perfect blend of quality and performance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks