Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 20:29   #3676
Distinguished - BHPian

How are the Samsung LED TVs in comparison to the Sony LED tvs?
My grandmother is looking for a TV for herself.
At Croma, she saw 3 TV's, and is confused:
- 46" Sony LCD for 80K
- 40" Sony LED for 1.2L
- 40" Samsung LED for 82-83K.

She is very keen on the Sony, but I heard that Samsung LED TVs are better and am pushing for that. Is that true?
Also, would LCD be better, or LED?
Will be mainly used by her grandchildren to watch Disney, Pogo, etc. and by her for the famous serials. She isn't the sort who changes TVs often, so reliability is important, as well as the style and look.
Old 10th July 2010, 20:44   #3677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
.... She isn't the sort who changes TVs often, so reliability is important, as well as the style and look.
Maybe you should consider a Plasma TV for her.
More longevity than LCD/LED.
Better performance too!
Old 10th July 2010, 20:54   #3678
BHPian

Go For LCD rather than Plasma, plasma will have some issues later, as of LED its a new comer, not stabilised in the market yet.
Old 10th July 2010, 21:18   #3679
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
How are the Samsung LED TVs in comparison to the Sony LED tvs?
My grandmother is looking for a TV for herself.
At Croma, she saw 3 TV's, and is confused:
- 46" Sony LCD for 80K
- 40" Sony LED for 1.2L
- 40" Samsung LED for 82-83K.

She is very keen on the Sony, but I heard that Samsung LED TVs are better and am pushing for that. Is that true?
Also, would LCD be better, or LED?
Will be mainly used by her grandchildren to watch Disney, Pogo, etc. and by her for the famous serials. She isn't the sort who changes TVs often, so reliability is important, as well as the style and look.
I would agree with anupmathur. Go for a plasma, normal cable looks best on them. And if you can get a 46" plasma that would be ideal, for older people the bigger the easier it is for them to see. Also make sure the TV has decent speakers, we know how loud those serials play .
Old 10th July 2010, 23:31   #3680
Senior - BHPian

LEDs are a gimmick right now.
Opt for a LCD which shows the SD content better.
Old 10th July 2010, 23:50   #3681
Distinguished - BHPian

Haha, thanks guys.
The Plasma is a strict no-no for its higher power consumption. They have one plasma, and will definitely not buy another one.
So options are between LCD and LED.
Old 11th July 2010, 01:01   #3682
BHPian

^^ you can go for a backlit LED (not edge lit), as pic quality of backlits are comparable to plasmas (especially the blacks)
Old 11th July 2010, 08:37   #3683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
is there any recommended choice of plasma tv in samsung. I am seeing more of lcd reviews from samsung than plasma, arent they good
any inputs please. i an planning to buy a samsung plasma and would like to know if its as good as the lcd models

I had the chance to speak to a big time dealer of samsung lg brands and his recommendation is to not go for lcd led models now. the back lit and edge lit are not full led models , the full organic led is launched next year only so i also dropped the idea of going for a led. he is a wholesaler and a very reliable source.

Last edited by ikoneer : 11th July 2010 at 08:47.
Old 11th July 2010, 11:03   #3684
BHPian

^^ and you are not considering panasonic plasmas because?
also its between plasmas and backlit LEDs (if you can find one) at the moment. There is always going to be something better next year :-)

Last edited by jassi : 11th July 2010 at 11:04.
Old 11th July 2010, 11:13   #3685
Senior - BHPian

Jist seen the specification of C550 - And the Power consumption is 350W?
Feel too high!
Old 11th July 2010, 11:30   #3686
BHPian

Quote:
The full organic led is launched next year only so i also dropped the idea of going for a led
OLED TV's costs a bomb now. It will take at least 2-3 years for the OLED technology to be as viable as today's LED's.
Old 11th July 2010, 12:29   #3687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ and you are not considering panasonic plasmas because?
also its between plasmas and backlit LEDs (if you can find one) at the moment. There is always going to be something better next year :-)
I think your comment is in response to mine jassi.

I got the idea of going for plasma after seeing the panasonic plasmas' only. so its on the top of my wish list. But then my friend's friend deals with the korean brands and i am thinking if i there are good model plasma in samsung i will go for that, else i will settle down for the c550 lcd models.

Its more of a relationship perspective than the brand.

@digitalvampire: agreed, but then it would come down eventually much faster than we expect. The LED LCD is a classic example.

Last edited by ikoneer : 11th July 2010 at 12:31.
Old 11th July 2010, 15:37   #3688
BHPian

Is there any real difference between HD ready and Full HD telecast, will there be any perceivable difference in quality to the human eye.

Saw a couple of Panasonic Plasma tvs today and the price is about 10000-13000 extra for a Full HD model. The salesman was saying that even the HD telecast are 768 telecast only and it will be another few years before the 1080p telecast can happen. Is that true?

For a normal viewer who watches TV (not much dvd/ no games) on a major scale (lets say all genre of channels), will a HD ready (1024*768) be sufficient.

Edit: Do anyone have the samsung plasma PS42B450 tv, any inputs or reviews would be helpful to make a a decision

Last edited by ikoneer : 11th July 2010 at 15:42.
Old 11th July 2010, 17:27   #3689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any real difference between HD ready and Full HD telecast, will there be any perceivable difference in quality to the human eye.

Saw a couple of Panasonic Plasma tvs today and the price is about 10000-13000 extra for a Full HD model. The salesman was saying that even the HD telecast are 768 telecast only and it will be another few years before the 1080p telecast can happen. Is that true?

For a normal viewer who watches TV (not much dvd/ no games) on a major scale (lets say all genre of channels), will a HD ready (1024*768) be sufficient.

Edit: Do anyone have the samsung plasma PS42B450 tv, any inputs or reviews would be helpful to make a a decision
Its a good TV but its last years model.
Will suggest you to get Samsung C450 which is the 2010model and replacement of B450.
Am also considering the same and trying to find a good deal in ncr.

If your distance is less than 10 feet Hd ready will do for you.
Old 12th July 2010, 03:20   #3690
BANNED

Quote:

No that is not true. DishTV and SunTV are providing full HD content, but on few channels only. I mean, not all channels transmit full HD content, some do which will have "HD" mentioned specifically. Like Discovery (HD).

If you are not using or not going to use a DTS which has these features and you don't watch movies (downloaded or blueray) buying full HD does not seem to be a sensible Idea. HD ready will do for regular viewing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks