Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2010, 09:09   #3556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Need your valuable suggestions on what would be the best buy in the 42" and above size range.

- Budget: Upto 85K
- 42" or above - More the merrier ;-)
- PQ is of the utmost interest since it will be used as the primary monitor for home theatre. Viewing distance 8-16 Ft
- No interest in SD content via DTH since this would primarily be connected ONLY to an HT-PC or a media player (WDTV) playing mostly 720P & 1080P material.
- No bias towards LCD or Plasma as long as the PQ requirements are met.
- No interest in sound quality from the TV since sound will be routed through a seperate receiver and HT Speakers (7.1)
- No interest in USB/Portable HDD playback or Gaming. Internet connectivity for online widgets would be great though but not a pre-requisite.
- Purchase period: June 2010, but can very well wait for 2-3 months if there are some impending model launches which are worth waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
You just missed it buddy. There was a great offer last week with 42'' LED+Home Theatre+Xbox @ 80K
Thanks. The pricing seemed good but no regrets!
I'm told that the SL90 which was on offer is being discontinued and I didnt need the XBOX or the HTIB or the 4 gms Gold. I'd rather prefer a bigger TV with better PQ within my budget.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 21st May 2010 at 09:11.
Old 26th May 2010, 10:18   #3557
BHPian

Any reviews/experience with 42" Philips 7000 Series LCD TV's?

Any idea about the street prices? MRP is ~75K

Any guesses why the pricing is so steep for a normal LCD (non-LED) TV?
Old 26th May 2010, 11:37   #3558
BHPian

Guys, I bought a LG PQ 30 42 inch Plasma TV, playing DVDs is a bliss, fantastic picture quality. But watching the Tata Sky is frustrating experience. Whats the problem, is it 42"? or is it Tata Sky? or is it Plasma? Should we go for LCD? or smaller size in LCD as all the plasmas are above 42".

Please respond.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:19   #3559
BHPian

@throttleking, what is the problem you are facing with Tata Sky? Aspect ratio? PQ? Try this: Set the aspect ratio from TS STB as well as from the options in the TV menu so that the picture covers the whole screen. The PQ will not be great (transmission is not even 480p DVD quality) but it will be decent. I own a PQ70 and TS as well, and no problems with it so far.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:41   #3560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
@throttleking, what is the problem you are facing with Tata Sky? Aspect ratio? PQ? Try this: Set the aspect ratio from TS STB as well as from the options in the TV menu so that the picture covers the whole screen. The PQ will not be great (transmission is not even 480p DVD quality) but it will be decent. I own a PQ70 and TS as well, and no problems with it so far.
Anurag, i have already set the aspect ratio (16:9), problem is it shows video steaming effect at times, no consitency in colour across different channelt, blur faces and images. some of channels looks as if its a small size video and you are seeing a stretched version. Some pixel box effect, some channels or adds or movies or programs are dull. I dint go for PQ 70 it has tinted effect on front glass, resulting in less brighter video viewing (correct me if i am wrong)

Last edited by throttleking : 26th May 2010 at 13:42.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:51   #3561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Guys, I bought a LG PQ 30 42 inch Plasma TV, playing DVDs is a bliss, fantastic picture quality. But watching the Tata Sky is frustrating experience. Whats the problem, is it 42"? or is it Tata Sky? or is it Plasma? Should we go for LCD? or smaller size in LCD as all the plasmas are above 42".

Please respond.
Though I am not sure, but it may be TV's refresh rate needs to be increased, setting for overscan. Also how you are connecting? I used Component Video (RGB) for video with stock cable. BTW I have 42" Pana Plasma with TS+. PQ is good with SD quality.

Also each input has its own contrast, brightness, sharpness and color settings memorized. You need to look at it with each input type of TV. e.g. I need to keep different settings for HDMI(different for DVD player and xtreamer), composite and compoents depending on source.

Last edited by omishra : 26th May 2010 at 15:00.
Old 26th May 2010, 19:13   #3562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Anurag, i have already set the aspect ratio (16:9), problem is it shows video steaming effect at times, no consitency in colour across different channelt, blur faces and images. some of channels looks as if its a small size video and you are seeing a stretched version. Some pixel box effect, some channels or adds or movies or programs are dull. I dint go for PQ 70 it has tinted effect on front glass, resulting in less brighter video viewing (correct me if i am wrong)
What is the signal Quality you are getting on TS? It is should be atleast 85-90%, better still 100%, for getting a good quality picture on a 42" screen.
Me too have a TS+Pana PV8 plasma and my observation is that whenever signal quality falls below 80%, the picture gets detoriorated.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:22   #3563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Though I am not sure, but it may be TV's refresh rate needs to be increased, setting for overscan. Also how you are connecting? I used Component Video (RGB) for video with stock cable. BTW I have 42" Pana Plasma with TS+. PQ is good with SD quality.

Also each input has its own contrast, brightness, sharpness and color settings memorized. You need to look at it with each input type of TV. e.g. I need to keep different settings for HDMI(different for DVD player and xtreamer), composite and compoents depending on source.
Tata Sky STB does not have Component output, correct me if i am wrong. I think my LG PQ 30 does not have different setting for different types of inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
What is the signal Quality you are getting on TS? It is should be atleast 85-90%, better still 100%, for getting a good quality picture on a 42" screen.
Me too have a TS+Pana PV8 plasma and my observation is that whenever signal quality falls below 80%, the picture gets detoriorated.
I need to check that, will let you know tomorrow.
Old 27th May 2010, 15:10   #3564
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

For a budget of 45k, what would you guys suggest?

Will be used mostly for normal 540p viewing and the occasional HD movie. I'll need the info asap, the buy is scheduled for the evening.

Thanks!
Old 27th May 2010, 15:38   #3565
Senior - BHPian

Go for Panasonic 42X20 Plasma, should be under 45K. I think it's around 44.5k, try to negotiate for more. For normal standard definition Plasma makes more sense.
Old 27th May 2010, 16:31   #3566
Senior - BHPian

I have TS+ with Panasonic Plasma. Actually had no issues till last week rains. Though signal strength looks good, the picture looks pixelated at times and then self corrects. This is only obvious when I'm watching the French Open. I have to call TataSky and ask them to come take a look. Probably the dish has moved a wee bit.

Note: I've watched other tennis matches on the same setup before and didn't have this problem. So its either a transmission issue for the FO or the Dish is off a bit.
Old 28th May 2010, 09:18   #3567
Senior - BHPian

Any reviews / comments on - Sony 22'' Ex300 / Bx300 ?

I am in the process of finalising 3 of these.

They are costing around 15,400 with BW. They have 2 HDMI, USB.

Does it mean I can plug in my USB Portable Drive and watch movies ?
Old 28th May 2010, 09:38   #3568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Any reviews/experience with 42" Philips 7000 Series LCD TV's?

Any idea about the street prices? MRP is ~75K

Any guesses why the pricing is so steep for a normal LCD (non-LED) TV?
You can get that TV for under 65k. The reason it is expensive is because its a 100Hz TV.

Its a very nice TV but see if you can snag the last few pieces of the 42PFL9703. I got mine a couple of months ago for 56k which honestly is an absolute steal.
Old 28th May 2010, 09:52   #3569
BHPian

Hd Lcd 42

Hi ,

I am planning to buy a 42'' full HD LCD TV. Pls let me know which is the VFM model/brand.

Regards,
Gopi
Old 29th May 2010, 00:13   #3570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
You can get that TV for under 65k. The reason it is expensive is because its a 100Hz TV.

Its a very nice TV but see if you can snag the last few pieces of the 42PFL9703. I got mine a couple of months ago for 56k which honestly is an absolute steal.
Thank you...Got a sealed box of Philips 42PFL7409/98 from a friend for 50K. He got it free during a product promotion event from Philips. The bill from Philips India accompanying it says 65K as the price.

HD playback is way better when compared to my Samsung LCD (40" - Series-5) but I found SD DivX playback to be slightly better on Sammy.

Most Viewed