Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2011, 11:21   #4306
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Please suggest to me what to buy and whether LED is worth the price difference over LCD. Feel free to suggest other good TV models other than these two also.
Close your eyes and go for Samsung LA40C630K1R LCD.

Do a FW update. Really worth every penny you pay.

Here in Delhi it was 54500/- at time of Diwali.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 6th January 2011, 13:05   #4307
BHPian

An Update about my LA40C550 with AllShare, i hooked my my laptop running windows 7 with Windows Media Player 12 via the network. Set the streaming options to enable and then checked on the TV the data from WMP is available So any windows system running WMP 12 can be your media server.
So now i can watch movies, music, pictures from my laptop on the TV using the TV remote.
Old 6th January 2011, 13:21   #4308
Senior - BHPian

My friend is looking for a 40"/42" flat TV and his budget is 50K +- 5K. Playing divx movies of usb is important to him. Other than this he is looking for good picture quality and a tough panel (2 kids at home). He isn't any particular about LCD,LED or plasma. Any recommendations?
Old 6th January 2011, 13:29   #4309
BHPian

@msdivy - Your friend can go in for the Samsung LCD LA40C550 (5 series) or the LA40C650 (6 series) both support DIVX playback, direct connection to a USB HDD and can read NTFS partitions. As for the strong panel LG does advertise a person tapping the screen so going by the advert it could be stronger but it would depend if the TV will be wall mounted above the reach of the kids or on TV unit making it more accessible. Have him checkout these two models, he can carry a pen drive with movies to check out the performance.
Old 6th January 2011, 15:02   #4310

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I think you can try the Toshiba or Sansui. Since you mentioned to keep it for an year, I think this should be sufficient. You can get a 40" toshiba for the price of 32" samsung.
I do want to use it as a monitor for my desktop PC after a year. Given this would a Toshiba or Sansui still be a good option.
Also since I'm going to be using it at a closer range than one would for a normal TV (when it becomes a PC monitor) would it make sense to go for a fullHD rather than a HD ready.
Old 6th January 2011, 20:04   #4311
Senior - BHPian

@yajaman99, thanks. Will suggest tis model to my friend.
Old 6th January 2011, 23:51   #4312
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion Myavu, will check this model out too.

How is Panasonic V20 series Plasma in 42 inch size? I have read great things about it and picture quality looked very good and natural. Negatives about Plasmas I heard from various salesmen were excess heat generation due to which AC is a must, dispersal of harmful gasses and high power consumption. Got a quote for 65000 for this model.

Another VFM model was LG for 70000 which was packed with more features than any other.

Plasmas are popular choice in this thread, please clarify their positives and negatives since I don't know much about them technically.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:17   #4313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Negatives about Plasmas I heard from various salesmen were excess heat generation due to which AC is a must, dispersal of harmful gasses and high power consumption.
What a comedy- AC is must and harmful gases. I have plasma TV and no AC. In last summer we faced 45 degree Celsius for few weeks. After watching TV for hours if I touch the panel then it is at same as room temperature - neither cool nor warm. That salesman must be watching plasma TV for long time and himself producing harmful gases. I never heard this.

Regarding power consumption - if you consider 42"LCD v/s 42" plasma then it is approx. 175W (LCD) v/s approx. 225W (Plasma). Point to be noted here is - LCD power usage remains constant due to fixed backlight (exception - local dimming LED backlit) while plasma's power consumption is proportional to increase in brightness & contrast (that is average 200-275W max)

Last edited by omishra : 7th January 2011 at 14:29.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:07   #4314
BHPian

Thanks for the clarification @omishra, I need 2 TV's at the moment and Panaonic 42V20 is going to be a strong contender for one of them for now thanks to its unmatched picture quality and reproduction of true colours.

The reasons stated by the salesman did sound comical to me, wanted to share them here and find out if there was any element of truth in such absurd reasoning even in the year 2011 with such advancements in technology.

As for the other tv, Sony 40 inch LED is my choice presently but the mind is flickering due to Samsung and LG offering more features and LG pricing is extremely VFM in the LED space. Which has better picture quality among these 3?
Old 8th January 2011, 22:27   #4315
BANNED

Want to loose sleep? Read this:-

Researchers Hack Internet Enabled TVs, Discover Multiple Security Vulnerabilities | Information Security News, IT Security News & Expert Insights: SecurityWeek.Com
Old 9th January 2011, 19:58   #4316
BHPian

Can anyone pl explain these:

1) 100 vs 50
Does 100Hz really make a difference in a 40" LCD TV as opposed to the standard 50Hz?I've seen that most LCD's are 50hz, 100hz TV's are pricey. e.g.Sony 40EX400 Vs 40EX500 (close to 15K difference) So is the extra 50Hz worth the 15k, will it make that much difference in a fast action scene?

2) Panel types IPS Vs VA
I've seen that IPS panels (Panasonic, LG) have a wider viewing angle as opposed to VA (Sony, Samsung) so if not watching the TV at a zero angle, IPS would be better?

Looking forward to some expert pointers on the same.

thanks,
R
Old 9th January 2011, 20:47   #4317
Senior - BHPian

In the market for a LCD/LED TV, had been to Samsung showroom yesterday . Any reviews on this LED 37" UA37C5000QM- After discount price approx Rs. 63k. Please suggest.
Old 9th January 2011, 21:01   #4318
BHPian

^^ in 63k you can get a 50" samsung 4 (or even 5) series plasma with many times better picture quality and contrast ratios. Ofcourse if your need is 37" then yeah do look at panasonic as well.
Old 9th January 2011, 23:53   #4319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ in 63k you can get a 50" samsung 4 (or even 5) series plasma with many times better picture quality and contrast ratios. Ofcourse if your need is 37" then yeah do look at panasonic as well.
Thanks for your response. Well the one i had mentioned is the 5 Series. I think im mostly going to stick to Samsung. Just want to know if the price quoted is right or should i spend a bit more and opt for 5 Series 40" .
Old 10th January 2011, 00:25   #4320
BHPian

i meant samsung 5 series PLASMA - the full hd model 50c550 cost me 68-69k. If your room accommodates bigger screen do look at this, unless you have specific reasons to not look at plasma :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks