Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2011, 09:30   #5056
BHPian

Thanks for the reply kaushik. I have another 3D led tv in another room. I need a tv here so that i can replace my old tv + monitor and save space. Budget would be within 20k. I need USB so that i can watch movies without the computer switched on. This would be rarely used as a tv hence 22' would suffice. I am looking for a long life from the device as it would be used for 3~4 hours everyday as a monitor and 1 hour as a tv.
Old 12th November 2011, 11:10   #5057
NIP
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

rajanprash...I have a suggestion. Buy a Full HD LCD 24" monitor for around 11-12k and use it for your PC. You can get an external TV tuner box with remote for around 800-1k for your TV use. With the money saved, you can get an external media player with HDD (Western Digital, iomega etc.) for your movies, music etc. - if you dont want to use your PC for this.

I have a BenQ 24" full HD screen with HDMI and its beautiful. Paid 12.5k for it 2 years ago. Have been using it with my PS3 on and off, and it rocks !!

Last edited by NIP : 12th November 2011 at 11:15.
Old 12th November 2011, 11:56   #5058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP
rajanprash...I have a suggestion. Buy a Full HD LCD 24" monitor for around 11-12k and use it for your PC....
That sounds tempting. I do have an Asus Oplay and external HDD as well. I was using an external tv tuner card and i hate it. I do not like all the wires dangling around here and there. Speakers have to be seperate as well. I was browsing through letsbuy.com, LG and Samsung have 22' LED tv for less than 20k. I want a tv and not a monitor because of the following:-
1. Integrated speakers and integrated tuner circuit means no wires and all. Everything in a single panel.
2. Remote control which i can use for volume, changing channels and usb playback as well.
3. I can set a timer and the tv would switch off. So i don have to manually switch off the tv. Which happens with my 20' monitor as i sleep off while watching movies.
4. Scenes and other fancy stuff which is better on a TV.

Here is a picture of what i have and want to integrate into a single display.
Attached Images

Old 13th November 2011, 16:06   #5059
Senior - BHPian

Planning to buy a flat panel TV. Currently using a 21 inch CRT in the living room. My plan is to retain the existing CRT in the living room and purchase a flat panel TV for the bed room.

I'm really confused with so many technologies, sizes and brands available in the market.

I have narrowed down to the size, 32 inch should be sufficient for me, though I may go upto 40/42 if I am getting a great deal.

Now my doubts are :

1. For a 32 inch size TV being viewed from a distance of 8-10 feet, should I go for full HD or HD ready ? (Is it worth spending extra money on, especially for a small size TV)

2. Because of budget constraint, if I have to choose between a 32 inch full HD LCD TV or a 32 inch HD ready LED TV, which would give me a better viewing experience (resolution vs contrast ratio) ?

3. If at all I can raise my budget, should I go for a 32 inch full HD LED TV or a 42 inch full HD LCD TV (contrast ratio vs size) ?

4. What should be the order of priorities - resolution, contrast ratio and size ?

5. I would be using this flat panel TV with Tata Sky HD. What is the resolution of the HD channels, is it 720 or 1080 ?

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 13th November 2011 at 16:09.
Old 13th November 2011, 18:48   #5060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Planning to buy a flat panel TV. Currently using a 21 inch CRT in the living room. My plan is to retain the existing CRT in the living room and purchase a flat panel TV for the bed room.

I'm really confused with so many technologies, sizes and brands available in the market.

I have narrowed down to the size, 32 inch should be sufficient for me, though I may go upto 40/42 if I am getting a great deal.

Now my doubts are :

1. For a 32 inch size TV being viewed from a distance of 8-10 feet, should I go for full HD or HD ready ? (Is it worth spending extra money on, especially for a small size TV).

2. Because of budget constraint, if I have to choose between a 32 inch full HD LCD TV or a 32 inch HD ready LED TV, which would give me a better viewing experience (resolution vs contrast ratio) ?

3. If at all I can raise my budget, should I go for a 32 inch full HD LED TV or a 42 inch full HD LCD TV (contrast ratio vs size) ?

4. What should be the order of priorities - resolution, contrast ratio and size ?

5. I would be using this flat panel TV with Tata Sky HD. What is the resolution of the HD channels, is it 720 or 1080 ?

Rohan
1. All the flat panel TV have wide screen, so a 32" TV will be more or less the size of a 21" for normal aspect ratio programs, hence you can consider a bigger size. I think that at 10 feet, full HD source is viewable comfortably even on a 50" screen.
2. A full HD is the norm, as the so called HD ready has lower resolution panels. As more and more panels are coming with full HD, the availability of HD ready panels in case you have to change them under warranty will be low.
3. With current prices go in for a bigger size. LED technology is good, but not worth the extra cost at this point.
4. Resolution, contrast, size in that order. With full HD you get the same resolution irrespective of the panel size (Unlike in monitors where the resolution can increase with size, in TV it is uniform
5. HD is broadcast at 1080i, that is 1920 x 1080, interlaced, and will remain so for quite some time. Future standards at higher resolution, upto 4K x 2.5K are at prototype stage and will take a long time to come, as the broadcasting systems and frequency allocation will have to be enhanced.
Aroy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 21:09   #5061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1. All the flat panel TV have wide screen, so a 32" TV will be more or less the size of a 21" for normal aspect ratio programs, hence you can consider a bigger size.
The screen size of CRTs included the black gasket around the tube. 29" TVs had a viewing size of 27" only. If you run the 32" 16:9 LCD TV in 4:3 aspect ratio mode, you get a viewing size of 26", which is more or less equivalent to 29" CRTs and not 21".
Old 23rd November 2011, 22:16   #5062
BHPian

Does anyone have any buying experience from Compare india Website. I checked out prices of Plasma and LED on this site and found a difference of 30-50k.
Interesting part is, it gives you a list of dealers in NCR Region where you can actually go and have a look at them before buying them.

Here is the link - Compare Television: LCD TV, Flat Televisions, Plasma TV. Compare Price, Size & TV Features

So what is the catch here?
Old 24th November 2011, 11:45   #5063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Interesting part is, it gives you a list of dealers in NCR Region where you can actually go and have a look at them before buying them.
If you can go to the dealers just go there and buy it.
Old 24th November 2011, 16:14   #5064
BHPian

One of my friend has recently bought a 40" LED from Samsung. Here is the link

An elegant blend of practicality and performance - UA40D5500RR - LED TV - Television | SAMSUNG

The MRP is 68,999 and he bought it for 44,000 only. The catch here is, he bought it without bill so standard warrantly of 1 year is not applicable in this deal.

The same model is available in Chroma for 64,000 Rs.

I think its worth taking risk here because standard warranty is only for 1 year and difference is almost 25000 Rs.
Old 24th November 2011, 23:26   #5065
BHPian

I bought a Toshiba LED 32" 32PS10ZE model. I bought it online through Letsbuy.com. Comes with 3 year warranty.

Installation was very professional. Toshiba engineer visited in 3 hours after making a call to Toll Free. It came with a free DVD Player+USB. It has been 2 days now and its quality is stunning.
Old 26th November 2011, 19:15   #5066
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I was all convinced to buy the Panasonic 50 inch Plasma TV which seems to be priced at about INR 53500 on Flipkart. However, when I went enquiring or rather wanting to see one in person I ended up seeing a Philips 55 inch LED TV priced at about INR 80000 discounted (actual price INR 1,80,000 )

Now I'm all confused and got back home unable to decide.

1. Can any of you please advise if this Philips 55 inch LED (model 55PFL5755) at INR 80000 is worth the deal over Panasonic 50 inch plasma (model TH-P50X30D)?

2. My hall is about 18x11.5 ft in dimension, so the viewing distance would be about 16 feet. Not sure if my decision to go with a 50 / 55 inch TV is good or should I go for either a 42 / 46 inch TV?

Please help, very badly need some advice from any of you Team BHPian's.

Thanks,
Si1ver0ne
Old 27th November 2011, 10:37   #5067
BHPian

If you are going for a 1 Lakh rupee LED TV then I would suggest go with Sony.
If you want to go for plasma then go for Pana.
Sony HX925 is the best LED TV you can buy on this earth in India today while VT30 is the best Pana Plasma but I gues VT30 is still not available in 50" its available in higher sizes.

I would suggest to stay away from Philips as Philips is no more what they used to be, they have outsourced their loss making TV operations to Videocon and some el-cheapo Chinese companies and their customer service is a big question in India. Philips is still good only in Europe and The Netherlands where they have their own operations.
As compared Sony, Pana, Samsung and LG have better technology and better customer reachability in India.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 13:46   #5068
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone bought a 3D LED/LCD TV? Can you please share the experience in viewing in 3D. I have heard that you can even see normal channels like star plus and others in 3D wearing those glasses and the TV will automatically convert 2D->3D .What i need to know is ,is the viewing normal channels in 3D pleasurable? How effective is the conversion from 2D->3D .

I am in market for a 42 inch LED TV and was thinking of stretching for a 3D.So wanted to get as many reviews as possible before i plonk in my money.Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 18:13   #5069
BHPian

replying you in-line in BOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Has anyone bought a 3D LED/LCD TV?

Yes; I have SONY 46HX925

Can you please share the experience in viewing in 3D. I have heard that you can even see normal channels like star plus and others in 3D wearing those glasses and the TV will automatically convert 2D->3D .What i need to know is ,is the viewing normal channels in 3D pleasurable? How effective is the conversion from 2D->3D .

Watching a 3D movie eg: Avator, Alice in Wonderland, Clash of Titans etc. is a wonderful experience. Such movies are shot with 3D in mind so its pleasure watching those.
Yes you can simulate/convert 2D to 3D for normal channels a bit more effective for HD channels, you can see the depth of 3D but the 3D pop-out is limited and not like the above movies. Secondly, IMO its impractical/funny to watch daily soaps using 3D but certainly Nat Geo HD or Discovery HD is fun to watch.
As I said the 2D->3D conversion is in limits just to enjoy a little depth.

I am in market for a 42 inch LED TV and was thinking of stretching for a 3D.So wanted to get as many reviews as possible before i plonk in my money.Thanks
Refer my earlier reply for the recommendation, for 3D the larger the picture more immersive is the experience.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 28th November 2011 at 18:16.
Old 28th November 2011, 21:41   #5070
Senior - BHPian

^^Clash of the Titans is a 2D movie converted to 3D in post processing. Same with Alice. Avatar is a fully 3D movie.

Anyway coming to the point, the VT20/VT30 or the samsung D8000 plasma or the Sony HX929 is the TV to get.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 28th November 2011 at 21:42.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks