Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2011, 11:19   #5011
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Hey all,

After using my trusted old sony tv for 8 years (made in japan) its time to move on to a new tv.

With so many options in the market, I just needed some info on what would be right for me.

1. What will be watched - The usual tv soaps, movies, sports.
2. Size Required - 32 inch, as the room is pretty small and 29 inch isn't available anymore.
3. What I want - Good Pq (high motion rate and quick response time) and ability to connect to usb.
4. My concern - I have seen images getting blurry during fast sports or action scenes in movies mainly on led tv's.

I have also been reading that a full array led with local dimming is better than the usual edge lit LED tv's. Does it really make a difference in screen sizes this small?

Would appreciate any help on the same...
Old 24th October 2011, 12:10   #5012
BHPian

Guys,

Any feedback on the Samsung 46D5000 LED TV???

We are on the lookout for an upgrade to our 42" LCD from LG and getting this for around 72K.

The latest one is 46D5500. I have been told that D5000 is atleast a year old model and does not have smart tv / internet. Which doesnt bother me much.

The usuage is mainly going to be cable + DVD's. Have not used USB even once on any of the TV's that we have.

Is 72K a OK price or is it not worth it?? Any actual users of this model? Feedback pls. Thanks in Advance and season's greetings!
Old 24th October 2011, 12:13   #5013
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile I was recommended Samsung PS43D490 which is a 43 HD 3D plasma. Checked in flipkart it comes at around 40k with two 3D glasses free. Sounds a great deal and future ready too! Any comments or suggestions on this model.

Again what is the difference between HD and Full HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
I remember seeing one LG42"LED fullHD in 50k price range in one of the showrooms in Hosur. Don't remember the model number.
I checked for 42 LED in 50k price range and did not find any. Have to check them in showrooms at Hosur though.
Old 24th October 2011, 14:21   #5014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Again what is the difference between HD and Full HD
Resolution of Standard Definition (Conventional) TVs is 720 H x 480 V = less than 1 million pixels.
Resolution of HD Ready TVs is 1366 H x 768 V = 1 million pixels
Resolution of Full HD TVs is 1920 H x 1080 V = 2 million pixels.

* H = number of Horizontal pixels, V = number of vertical pixels

Source Whats difference between FULL-HD and HD-READY | A Guide to Technology
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 21:24   #5015
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, I & Dad are on the lookout for a 40"/42" LED TV that is Full HD with standard HDMI/USB ports and have narrowed down on a Toshiba 40" LED Full HD model. The simple reason is that there's no other LED TV with similar specs that we could find at 40,000/-.

So double checking with you all if there's any 40"/42" Full HD LED TV at a price similar to Toshiba's?
Old 25th October 2011, 11:45   #5016
Senior - BHPian

40" LED/LCD TV around 40k (+5k)

Hi guys,
Our current BPL 25" TV is working fine for the last 12.5 years but we are thinking about upgrading/changing it. I am on the look out for LED / LCD/ Plasma TV.
I am a complete noob w.r.t these. I dont have much Idea what to look in for i.e. the features. Please suggest some of those.

This is what we have in mind:

1. The budget is 40k (can be extended a bit by another 5k).

2. Dad is interested in Samsung or Sony only, while I would want to include LG also. Is LG a good brand for these TVs? My in-laws have a LG 40" LCD TV, it has a fantastic sound quality. Tried the sound on Sony 720 LED TV, it was pathetic in Lows and Highs, but good in medium frequencies and the vocals!! Since we would not be buying a Home theater we would want good sound quality directly from the TV speakers.

3. Ideal size is 40". Saw the 32" ones also at Sony(Himayathnagar) but felt the 32" ones almost same as our 25" TV may be for being 16:9 aspect ratio while our current 25" TV is 4:3. What do you guys think about it?

Last edited by mobike008 : 25th October 2011 at 15:03. Reason: Added plasma
Old 25th October 2011, 12:25   #5017
Senior - BHPian

There is a thread on this forum how Indians are being ripped off when it come to car prices, prices when compared to US. Today, I got this offer in mail - 42" Panasonic Full HD 3D Plasma with Wifi, for $535.96 or just Rs 26,775/- (@1$ = Rs 50).

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-panaus.png

Link: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

Last edited by msdivy : 25th October 2011 at 12:26.
Old 25th October 2011, 18:31   #5018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
There is a thread on this forum how Indians are being ripped off when it come to car prices, prices when compared to US. Today, I got this offer in mail - 42" Panasonic Full HD 3D Plasma with Wifi, for $535.96 or just Rs 26,775/- (@1$ = Rs 50).

Attachment 831982

Link: TC-P42ST30 - VIERA® 3D HDTVs - Shop and Compare at Panasonic
I could not agree more. This model is going for upwards of 65K INR or around USD 1300 in Bangalore.
Old 26th October 2011, 04:44   #5019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

Attachment 831982

Link: TC-P42ST30 - VIERA® 3D HDTVs - Shop and Compare at Panasonic
Although the prices of the Electronic goods have reduced significantly over the past decade, they are still not comparable with the developed countries.
Unsure whether its the low volume or the import duties thats resulting in hign prices in India.
Old 26th October 2011, 10:37   #5020
BHPian

Re: 40" LED/LCD TV around 40k (+5k)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Hi guys,
Our current BPL 25" TV is working fine for the last 12.5 years but we are thinking about upgrading/changing it. I am on the look out for LED / LCD/ Plasma TV.
I am a complete noob w.r.t these. I dont have much Idea what to look in for i.e. the features. Please suggest some of those.

This is what we have in mind:

1. The budget is 40k (can be extended a bit by another 5k).

2. Dad is interested in Samsung or Sony only, while I would want to include LG also. Is LG a good brand for these TVs? My in-laws have a LG 40" LCD TV, it has a fantastic sound quality. Tried the sound on Sony 720 LED TV, it was pathetic in Lows and Highs, but good in medium frequencies and the vocals!! Since we would not be buying a Home theater we would want good sound quality directly from the TV speakers.

3. Ideal size is 40". Saw the 32" ones also at Sony(Himayathnagar) but felt the 32" ones almost same as our 25" TV may be for being 16:9 aspect ratio while our current 25" TV is 4:3. What do you guys think about it?

Samsung has better after sales service than LG and Sony.

Few months ago while I was looking for a TV (in Mumbai), after a lot of research I ended up buying LG 42PJ560R (Plasma) and been very pleased with it. Last year sometime, I had bought a Samsung Series 4 46" LCD and this Plasma surely performs much better than the LCD. I paid approx. 38k for LG 42PJ560R in April, however big retailers (Croma, etc.) were selling it for 42-43k. An updated model is launched (i think model number is LG 42PJ650). Another friend of mine bought LG 42PJ560R in B'lore for approx. the same price in July.
Old 26th October 2011, 13:28   #5021
Senior - BHPian

Re: 40" LED/LCD TV around 40k (+5k)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
At least in Delhi, LG has excellent service. I have 2 x 24" monitors, 1 x 23" monitor and 1 x 47" TV all LG. Never faced any problem with LG service, they are prompt and efficient.

One of my 24" monitors was a demo piece, and I got it at a massive discount. It developed stuck pixel line in a week. LG replaced the panel with a new one promptly.

The TV sound cannot compete with Home theater, but is adequate. You can hook up a music system to the TV to get better and louder sound. I have hooked up a Sony music system to the 23" LG TV/Monitor. On the 47" we have a Home Theater with 5.1 channel speakers. The beauty of 5.1 channel sound is that you get separate channel for the rear speakers with HD broadcasts, some thing you cannot experience with speakers in the TV. Most of the stadium sound and effects in a game is on the rear speakers, while commentary on the front ones.
Old 26th October 2011, 17:08   #5022
BHPian

Re: Buying a LED TV from US.

Dear Friends,

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions and very minute tips to decide on the subject. Finally I bought a Sharp 40" LED TV from Us and brought it to India. There were no hassle for logistics and customs at Chennai. I paid Rs.3600 as duty at Chennai airport. I bought a 220 to 110 V converter (step down transformer type) for Rs.740 and the TV is working well on range of inputs (USB, HDMI etc,). I am not convinced on whether to go with a DTH or using the existing cable connection with a PAL to NTSC converter.
The PAL to NTSC converter costs around Rs.1200.

Anybody have been using such a converter? Please give me your suggestions.

The reason I am considering the existing cable connection is
1. There is no CAS(Conditional Access System) enforced in my native place.
2. The cost of the connection is Rs.100 per month.

If DTH is recommended the following is my concern
My parents mainly watch NGC, Discovery and few sports channels. They are not worried about local regional channels. Sometimes HBO and Star movies when some relatives visit our home. To go with such channels can anybody please advice which is the best DTH package available?

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Dear Friends,

I am planning to visit my home for this Diwali and want to gift my parents a good 40" LED TV. I plan to buy this TV from US and bring it to India. I hope some of our friends have already done this. Following are my concerns.
1. How much I need to pay as customs duty. My TV may cost between $700- $1000 USD.
2. Will the Tuning System (ATSC / QAM / NTSC) be compatible in India? If not what equipment(s) I need to procure additionally.
3. For warranty and support should I have to specifically ask the manufacturer?

Apart from the above I am still undecided on which brand I shuld go with.
Presently I have Sharp, Samsung and Sony in my mind with sharp leading the race. A lot of user reviews give inclination towards Sharp. Please advice me to decide on this.

Models considered:
Sharp -LC40LE830U -$700
Samsung- UN40D6000 -$800
Sony- KDL-40EX523 -$800

I haven't considered 3D since my parents won't watch any 3D programs. If putting $250 more to get an equivalent 3D is worth I will consider too.

Help me to decide friends.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th October 2011, 17:19   #5023
BHPian

I brought a Sony KDL-46EX520 today. Checked out for the prices in many shops around Jayanagar. Always thought Devi International gave the best deal. However, Got a better deal at Girias. Around 10% off on the MRP of 93,900.

Got a Airtel Activation Kit and a Sony Digital Photo Frame free.
Old 26th October 2011, 17:50   #5024
BHPian

Got the Samsung PS51D550 (51 inch, Full HD, 3D Plasma) model for 62k from Devi Intl. (Did not get the free 3D glasses, planning to buy anyway)

Apart from the reflective screen, has been a pleasure watching HD DTH (airtel) or BluRay content from Samsung 5500 with Onkyo 508+4700+208 Sub.
Old 26th October 2011, 20:26   #5025
BHPian

Re: Buying a LED TV from US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Dear Friends,
Thanks a lot for all your suggestions and very minute tips to decide on the subject. Finally I bought a Sharp 40" LED TV from Us and brought it to India. There were no hassle for logistics and customs at Chennai. I paid Rs.3600 as duty at Chennai airport. I bought a 220 to 110 V converter (step down transformer type) for Rs.740 and the TV is working well on range of inputs (USB, HDMI etc,). I am not convinced on whether to go with a DTH or using the existing cable connection with a PAL to NTSC converter.
The PAL to NTSC converter costs around Rs.1200.
Thanks,
How much did the TV cost you & how was the duty for it calculated at Chennai airport? My parents are in Dubai & they want to get a 40~42 inch tv when they are coming down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks