Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:02   #4876
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

In an impulse buy yesterday - Went ahead and purchased a 42'' Plasma - LG

Brought the 42PT350R LG 42PT350R Plasma TV - HD Plasma TV - LG Electronics IN

Amazing VFM product. The picture clarity is superb. I connected my WD Media Player Live and it has good output.

I pluggedin my WD 500 GB HDD and it picked up all DivX Formats directly.

Colors are very nice and I put the Intelligent Sensor On for energy saving and it works great.

Sound Output is much better than my previous 32'' LG and Bravia.

Best part is I got it for 38k
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:17   #4877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
In an impulse buy yesterday - Went ahead and purchased a 42'' Plasma - LG

Brought the 42PT350R LG 42PT350R Plasma TV - HD Plasma TV - LG Electronics IN

Amazing VFM product. The picture clarity is superb. I connected my WD Media Player Live and it has good output.

I pluggedin my WD 500 GB HDD and it picked up all DivX Formats directly.

Colors are very nice and I put the Intelligent Sensor On for energy saving and it works great.

Sound Output is much better than my previous 32'' LG and Bravia.

Best part is I got it for 38k
I just went through the tech specs and it says resolution HD (1024x768), which means, it's not full HD which is (1920x1080).
No offence but is it really worth in today's scenario where we have full HD in common?
I hope you knew this.
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:21   #4878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I just went through the tech specs and it says resolution HD (1024x768), which means, it's not full HD which is (1920x1080).
No offence but is it really worth in today's scenario where we have full HD in common?
I hope you knew this.
Yes I knew that But look at what I paid - 38k for a plasma that is Razor Thin - looks like it's an LED when switched off.

the next jump up from this one was about 15k more so I obviously wanted something that was cheapest in 42''. Could not find anything below 38k - 42'' plasma. there was a panasonic which was available for this price BUT it was years old and it would not even read HDD's.

Yesterday I did see a 1080p movie ( Sanctum ) and the voice and display blew me. Was fantastic.
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:26   #4879
BHPian

Good choice.
Some options....across your price point with same specs as your buy.

Samsung PN43D450A2D 43' Plasma TV 36k
Panasonic TH-P42A20D 42' Plasma TV 34k

Last edited by xotiq : 3rd August 2011 at 22:36.
Old 4th August 2011, 09:33   #4880
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I hope you knew this.
This has been discussed a lot in this very thread and also in electronics/AV forums all over the web.

If the viewing distance is more than 8 ft, "normal" human eyes cannot differentiate between HD (720p) and Full HD (1080p) on a 42" panel. There was even a graph mapping viewing distance and panel size. So why pay more for something that only gives you bragging rights?

If you can differentiate the image at 8/10ft distance....then Full HD is the way for you. The best option for you is to take a 720p sample and a 1080p sample of the same movie ( i did that with some downloaded movie trailers ) and watch it side by side from 8ft/10ft.
Old 4th August 2011, 18:34   #4881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
This has been discussed a lot in this very thread and also in electronics/AV forums all over the web.

If the viewing distance is more than 8 ft, "normal" human eyes cannot differentiate between HD (720p) and Full HD (1080p) on a 42" panel. There was even a graph mapping viewing distance and panel size. So why pay more for something that only gives you bragging rights?

If you can differentiate the image at 8/10ft distance....then Full HD is the way for you. The best option for you is to take a 720p sample and a 1080p sample of the same movie ( i did that with some downloaded movie trailers ) and watch it side by side from 8ft/10ft.
Refer this site, also checkout the fantastic home theater / viewing calculator.

1080p Does Matter – Here’s When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) | CarltonBale.com
Old 4th August 2011, 20:31   #4882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002?

If the viewing distance is more than 8 ft, "normal" human eyes cannot differentiate between HD (720p) and Full HD (1080p) on a 42" panel. There was even a graph mapping viewing distance and panel size. So why pay more for something that only gives you bragging
Although what you are saying is correct from 42" prespective and 8 feet prespective its better to buy TV keeping in mind that the TV would last 10 years or more depending on home usage and its better to buy something which dosent look antique and needs throwing away on that timeframe. My earlier TV lasted 10 years and hence we went with the biggest and true full hd (1080p), the highest model that we could afford.

BTW we compared 720p and 1080p and were able to make out the difference easily.
Old 4th August 2011, 20:43   #4883
BHPian

What is the cheapest 32" LCD (HD ready will do) from reputed brands like Samsung, LG, Panasonic etc. Not interested in buying Videocon, Sansui, Moser Baer etc.

The cheapest 32" HD ready that I found is from Toshiba @~17K. PQ is good but I'm a bit worried about the A S S.
Old 4th August 2011, 23:14   #4884
Senior - BHPian

My previous lcd tv Sony 46V400A had a panel problem, so we replaced it with Panasonic ST30 42inch. Costed us 68.5k from panasonic brandshop in rajajinagar.
Strangely, for HD content i still feel my previous tv was better. Watched star cricked HD and noticed judder which was non-existent in my lcd. Overall i feel its a 'you-get-what-you-pay-for' set. Its only the first few hours so i'll be able to write a review after a week or so.

I have a strange problem with the sound though. When i connect the co-axial cable i get 5.1 output(atleast i think so), however if i use the optical cable through the tv the center speaker does not function.

Connection as follows:

Co-axial Cable
Tata sky HD box to home theatre Sony DAV-DZ370. When i connect it like this the center speaker of the home theatre works almost all the time when there's any voice.

Optical Cable
Tv optical out to Home theatre optical in. I've tried different channels however the center speaker never worked.

What could be the problem ?
Old 5th August 2011, 00:21   #4885
Team-BHP Support

Your TV probably only outputs 2 channel sound and not 5.1 hence your home theatre is not getting a signal for the centre speaker.
Old 5th August 2011, 00:47   #4886
Senior - BHPian

I checked online and it looks like only through the tv tuner it will output 5.1. Not through anyother hdmi source
Old 5th August 2011, 09:26   #4887
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Refer this site, also checkout the fantastic home theater / viewing calculator.

1080p Does Matter – Here’s When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) | CarltonBale.com
Thanks...that was the graph i was referring to. It clearly tells you need to be at 6ft or less to make out the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42inch panel.
Old 5th August 2011, 09:50   #4888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
My previous lcd tv Sony 46V400A had a panel problem, so we replaced it with Panasonic ST30 42inch. Costed us 68.5k from panasonic brandshop in rajajinagar.
Strangely, for HD content i still feel my previous tv was better. Watched star cricked HD and noticed judder which was non-existent in my lcd. Overall i feel its a 'you-get-what-you-pay-for' set. Its only the first few hours so i'll be able to write a review after a week or so.

I have a strange problem with the sound though. When i connect the co-axial cable i get 5.1 output(atleast i think so), however if i use the optical cable through the tv the center speaker does not function.

Connection as follows:

Co-axial Cable
Tata sky HD box to home theatre Sony DAV-DZ370. When i connect it like this the center speaker of the home theatre works almost all the time when there's any voice.

Optical Cable
Tv optical out to Home theatre optical in. I've tried different channels however the center speaker never worked.

What could be the problem ?

Please check your DVD player Sound presets.
In my Sony player with 5.1 amplifier, I am having 5 presets - ProLogic,Movie,2CH Stereo, AFD STD, AFD Multi,
if you select ProLogic, Center speaker will work for rest it won't.
But i prefer AFD Multi for TV channels/FM , it has rich sound.
For DVD Movie, i prefer Prologic.
I am using Coaxials from my Setup Box.
Old 5th August 2011, 13:41   #4889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Please check your DVD player Sound presets.

When i connect it using either co-axial or optical cable i'm not able to access any preset on my home theatre. It says not in use when i try to access it. Should i re-wire it differently ?
Old 5th August 2011, 13:45   #4890
Senior - BHPian

Any Users for Sony 32 inches CX520 LCD here?
I am thinking to buy this so just want to know its pros and cons.

ALso any better alternative in this price range?

Most Viewed