Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2011, 05:53   #4996
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Thanks Amalji. What are the power consumption figures? That was a big negative for Plasmas compared to LCD/LED. Is it improved in the newer models of the Pana plasmas?
Well, the power consumption isnt something that we have noticed with hefty bills. Out bills were always in this range even when the old TV was around. The TV is used heavily as elders usually watch TV for decent time as there is usually nothing else to do (So i can say close to 5+ hours everyday)
Old 20th October 2011, 10:39   #4997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Thanks Amalji. What are the power consumption figures? That was a big negative for Plasmas compared to LCD/LED. Is it improved in the newer models of the Pana plasmas?
Power consumption for the latest Panasonic Plasmas are approx double or more than that of LEDs.

In case of the 50" Full HD Plasma Model for Panasonic - Pana VIERA TH-P50U30D , the rated power consumption is 320W. Assuming that you keep the brightness & Contrast level around the 50% level ( that's when it reproduces the most natural pictures. ), your average consumption should be somewhere around 175 to 200 watts. In case, you use your TV for 5 hours per day on an average, Monthly power consumption due to TV would be in the range of 30 units per month. In case, you use LED TV, you can take it as low as 12 to 15 units per month.

If you are an eco friendly person, and do not want to waste energy, go for LEDs.
If what you need is the most natural colours, go for Plasma.

With regards to additional cost for electricity, it doesn't make much of a difference though.

Last edited by amalji : 20th October 2011 at 10:43.
Old 20th October 2011, 10:52   #4998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
We bought a Panasonic last year (VIERA TH-P50V20D) it costed me over 1L and we all find it excellent in terms of picture quality and eye strain. Its a 50 inch Plasma.

We were never looking for LCD's the only options were LED or Plasma, and for this sized LED they were twice as expensive as Plasma, and we also felt slight eye strain when watching LED. Hence choose the plasma.
If anyone is interested in the above or its 3D version 50VT20D these are available for 60K and ~70K now. I had posted it earlier but reposting it as there are some stores still selling it for way more (80K for V20D and >1L for VT20D).
Old 20th October 2011, 11:50   #4999
BHPian

Hi, need quick recommendations on new HDTV.

1. Budget- 45K Max

2. Viewing distance- 8 feet max 42 inch screen, 32 inch seems small to me. 38/40 if available

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.- HD DTH/XBOX(or PS3)/ media player if I am unable to play some formats through USB port

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.- LED TV, LCD if LED is beyond budget

5. Preference for brands- Sony, Panasonic, any other brand if worth the money. Panel lottery to be avoided

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? Nopes, need Bill and Warranty, and EMI's

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.- Natural light from right window and Artificial light from Left.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.- No 3D, any other advance features will be most welcome.. However must have USB port and should support common formats such as DivX, Xvid and containers such as AVI, MKV, MP4, MOV out of the box(if possible). HT will added in future

My concern is PQ

Kindly help me asap as I need to finalize by Saturday or max sunday. Need to use Diwali Offers as give as agift to family this Diwali.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:26   #5000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
Though it is possibly advisable to go for LEDs now, you can get a decent 42'' LCD from LG under 50K. I bought one few months back (LED prices are all upwards of 60K for 40-42'') and pretty happy with the picture - even with only a SD Tata Sky, not a HD box. But please ensure that it is mounted at a reasonably long viewing distance to get the best picture clarity.
Yeah LEDs are above 60k and would not like to spend that kind of money now. So it is between LCD and Plasma. Again just a quick one - why did you go for LCD against plasma (will also help me decide)

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
If you can drive down to Hosur, possibly you will get a ~15+% reduction from Bangalore price.
Last week one of my friend bought a 32"Sony EX520 for 40.6k from Hosur and Bangalore price was 48k!
Thats a good one. Anyway I am just 40km away from Hosur. Just one thing, which outlet did your friend buy from in Hosur and is there any sort of checking etc at the state border crossing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Power consumption for the latest Panasonic Plasmas are approx double or more than that of LEDs.
In case, you use LED TV, you can take it as low as 12 to 15 units per month.
On that note what would be the rated power consumption of LCD. Will it be in between LED and plasma I guess?
Old 20th October 2011, 13:03   #5001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
On that note what would be the rated power consumption of LCD. Will it be in between LED and plasma I guess?
I haven't seen many 50" LCDs because when the size gets big, keeping the pixel count constant, Plasma becomes more and more cost effective.

Regardless, the Sony Bravia KDL-46EX500 ( 46" LCD TV ) has a power consumption of 255 Watts. So, a 50" LCD should consume around 280 watts of power which is very close to the Panasonic 50" Plasma TV with a power rating of 320 watts.

In real life, that means, if you use your TV for 5 hours per day, the savings would be in the range of 4 units per month. ( Plasma - 30 units, LCD - 26 units )
Old 20th October 2011, 14:26   #5002
BHPian

1. Request you to rethink about the budget as @55k will get you a good 3D TV - LG if you buy in India & you can get Sony 3D Tv if someone can bring one for you from Singapore (my friend did , obviously for himself)

2. IMHO - Buying a 3D LED Tv makes more sense as you are having latest technology to date when you buy, further you can certainly switch to 2D mode when the input signal is not HD.

[quote=setuniket;2551909]Hi, need quick recommendations on new HDTV.

1. Budget- 45K Max

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.- No 3D, any other advance features will be most welcome.. However must have USB port and should support common formats such as DivX, Xvid and containers such as AVI, MKV, MP4, MOV out of the box(if possible). HT will added in future

My concern is PQ
Old 20th October 2011, 14:40   #5003
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah LEDs are above 60k and would not like to spend that kind of money now. So it is between LCD and Plasma. Again just a quick one - why did you go for LCD against plasma (will also help me decide)
Actually, I didn't get a 42" plasma on offer. I didn't look at too many retail stores since I got a good deal at Croma in Bangalore, so didn't actually bring Plasma into consideration. Now I understand that Plasma is better in dim lighting conditions, so given that, I think LCD was good choice.
Old 20th October 2011, 18:59   #5004
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me how is the Sony EX520 led tv?
Is there any better in the similar bracket for 32 inches?
I can get this for around 45k and need to make decision by tommorow.
Suggest asap plz!!
Old 20th October 2011, 23:33   #5005
BHPian

Quote:
Thats a good one. Anyway I am just 40km away from Hosur. Just one thing, which outlet did your friend buy from in Hosur and is there any sort of checking etc at the state border crossing?
There are 5-6 outlets there and the prices are almost in the same range. You may check in Sharptronics, Prakash Elec and one more -I forgot the name(near hotel vasanth vihar).
Don't forget to negotiate and check the price in 2-3 shops before you buy.
No checking for private vehicles in the border.
Installation will be done directly by the company representative in your locality.
For 50k and above,you may also consider 40/42" LEDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Can anyone tell me how is the Sony EX520 led tv?
Is there any better in the similar bracket for 32 inches?
I can get this for around 45k and need to make decision by tommorow.
Suggest asap plz!!
My friend bought 32"EX520 for 40.6k few days back. So try to negotiate for a better price ..
You can also consider the following Smart TVs:
-LG 32 LV3730
-Samsung UA32D5900.
No web browser for D5900 compared to Ex520 and Lv3730.
LG will be cheaper than the other two.
For LG, you can purchase Magic motion remote at extra cost- use like a laser pointer.
Look for wi-fi dongle(brand specific) if you need to connect it to your home wi-fi internet connection.
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 01:23   #5006
Senior - BHPian

Was going through flipkart.com and came across with the price for Panasonic 42" Plasma TH-P42X30D for RS. 32799/-
Flipkart: Panasonic 42 Inches HD Plasma TH-P42X30D: Television
Also there are other models TH-P42A20D & TH-P42X20, How do these compare to the above mentioned model. Looking at specs it looks like it has better connectivity options.

Not sure if it's warranty can anyone confirm on this ?

Last edited by Invinsible : 21st October 2011 at 01:26.
Old 21st October 2011, 12:18   #5007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Regardless, the Sony Bravia KDL-46EX500 ( 46" LCD TV ) has a power consumption of 255 Watts. So, a 50" LCD should consume around 280 watts of power which is very close to the Panasonic 50" Plasma TV with a power rating of 320 watts.

In real life, that means, if you use your TV for 5 hours per day, the savings would be in the range of 4 units per month. ( Plasma - 30 units, LCD - 26 units )
It looks like it would be a very economical to use a LED but between an LCD or plasma it would not be a big deal. We have a daily usage of at least 10+ hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
Actually, I didn't get a 42" plasma on offer. I didn't look at too many retail stores since I got a good deal at Croma in Bangalore, so didn't actually bring Plasma into consideration. Now I understand that Plasma is better in dim lighting conditions, so given that, I think LCD was good choice.
You said that you bought a LG LCD. What price and when? How is the performance? Talking about Croma, did you also consider their in house brand and if so how do they fare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
There are 5-6 outlets there and the prices are almost in the same range. You may check in Sharptronics, Prakash Elec and one more -I forgot the name(near hotel vasanth vihar).
For 50k and above,you may also consider 40/42" LEDs.
Any idea which LEDs cost around 50k. I checked here and did not find any. May be its the Hosur price right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Was going through flipkart.com and came across with the price for Panasonic 42" Plasma TH-P42X30D for RS. 32799/-
Flipkart: Panasonic 42 Inches HD Plasma TH-P42X30D: Television
Also there are other models TH-P42A20D & TH-P42X20, How do these compare to the above mentioned model. Looking at specs it looks like it has better connectivity options.

Not sure if it's warranty can anyone confirm on this ?

Are these prices comparable to the market. On paper it looks like a great bargain.

Also what is the difference between a

HD and FULL HD?

Last edited by girishglg : 21st October 2011 at 12:21.
Old 21st October 2011, 16:02   #5008
BHPian

Quote:
You said that you bought a LG LCD. What price and when? How is the performance? Talking about Croma, did you also consider their in house brand and if so how do they fare?
I got a Full HD LCD for 46K, purchased 2 months back. I'm very happy with the performance, even with a SD set top box. But for best performance, a HD box is recommended.

Didn't consider Croma's in-house brand, didn't want to move away from the well known brands for such a buy. But I did see Croma on display, and their picture quality looked quite good, and at a much lesser price.
Old 21st October 2011, 18:04   #5009
Senior - BHPian

@Salbin- Thanks for the inputs.
I read them right now however i had purchsed the Samsung D5900 LED in the morning itself.

Went to croma yesterday with my mom(who will be watching it as its a gift for her) to compare and we both agreed that PQ in 5900 was better than Sony EX520.
Also the Panel looked much slimmer and attractive than Sony.
I got it Sammy blu ray player D5100 free with it so seems like a good deal.

Bought it from nearby samsung showroom and will be delivered on Sunday so will post up my experience with it afterwards
Old 21st October 2011, 23:28   #5010
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea which LEDs cost around 50k. I checked here and did not find any. May be its the Hosur price right?
I remember seeing one LG42"LED fullHD in 50k price range in one of the showrooms in Hosur. Don't remember the model number.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks