Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2011, 03:14   #5086
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

I want to replace my 14" CRT tv in my bedroom with a 32" LCD. I do not have subscription with any DTH services, am just using local cable connection. Will probably continue this way. So, should i go for Full HD or HD READY ?
Old 7th December 2011, 13:13   #5087
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post
I want to replace my 14" CRT tv in my bedroom with a 32" LCD. I do not have subscription with any DTH services, am just using local cable connection. Will probably continue this way. So, should i go for Full HD or HD READY ?
HD Ready would do just fine for the purpose at hand.

A Full HD is a screen that has a native resolution of 1920x1080 pixles. This can accept and play images that have been scaled up to 1080 with progressive scanning. This is what is known as 1080p upscaling.

A HD Ready screen on the other hand has a native resolution of 1366x768 pixels and can display images with upto 720p resolutions. Though it will also accept a 1080p image, this will be down scaled to match the screen's parameters.
mashmash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 21:36   #5088
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Hello Guys ,

I will be going to Dubai for Christmas and New Year vacation . While coming back I am planning to pick a TV for personal use .
I always wanted a BIG TV , In my case I guess 42" will be big enough .

Please suggest me the Brand , Model for the same . My budget is 60-65K.

I am technically challenged and don't understand the difference between LED LCD Plasma , Full HD , HD Ready etc .

I just want a TV which should be BIG , Latest one with best picture quality.

Please Suggest
Old 16th December 2011, 20:27   #5089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
A suggestion required from all the gurus here. I have a 20' pc monitor and a 21' crt tv in my room. I intend to replace both these products with a single one preferably 22'.
1. I need help as to which one should i go in for LCD/LED or PLASMA?
2. Please suggest me some models which are budget friendly and also can suit my requirements.
3. I do not require full HD. HD ready would suffice but i require USB et all goodies.
4. Lastly which brand.
Did you find something for your requirements? I am also looking for something similar, hence the query. One of the comp shop fellows here suggested AOC brand monitor cum tv.
Old 20th December 2011, 12:36   #5090
BHPian

Guys: I have a Samsung LCD series 4 TV. It does have an option to connect USB but, it is resticted to viewing pictures and listening to MP3. There is no option to play movies.
So, I suppose it does not have a pre-installed video player. I have searched online and could not find an update for the firmware.

Is there any way to install a good video player through a firmware update or through some other means?

Cheers
Old 20th December 2011, 13:19   #5091
Senior - BHPian

Do note that for most aircraft on the India Dubai route the check in staff may not accept a panel bigger than 40" (save for the Airbus A330 & Boeing 777). This is on account of the size restriction of the goods pellets that are used in the smaller crafts.

Confirm what aircraft will be plying on your return leg and the max size of panel that can be accommodated in the same. The check in staff on your outward leg else the airline's customer service department in Dubai should be able to help you with the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Hello Guys ,
I will be going to Dubai for Christmas and New Year vacation . While coming back I am planning to pick a TV for personal use .
I always wanted a BIG TV , In my case I guess 42" will be big enough .
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 02:45   #5092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Guys: I have a Samsung LCD series 4 TV. It does have an option to connect USB but, it is resticted to viewing pictures and listening to MP3. There is no option to play movies.
So, I suppose it does not have a pre-installed video player. I have searched online and could not find an update for the firmware.

Is there any way to install a good video player through a firmware update or through some other means?

Cheers
please post the full model number

Samsung now offers 2 types of USB compatible TV's
1). One which can play Movie and MP3 + image files
2). Plays only images and mp3's

So the later is 2-3K cheaper and most probably is not upgrade-able to include a movie player.
Old 22nd December 2011, 07:29   #5093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
I am technically challenged and don't understand the difference between LED LCD Plasma , Full HD , HD Ready etc .

I just want a TV which should be BIG , Latest one with best picture quality.
My suggestion would be to read up some material before making a decision. This way you take an informed decision, as at the end of the day its your hard earned money.

Here are some links
LCD Vs. LED Vs. Plasma
LED LCD vs plasma vs LCD | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

Now in short the LED's are the latest and Plasma's are the oldest, but this does not mean latest is best and oldest is worst.

In terms of picture quality, LED and Plasma would offer you best clarity but LED's would be twice as expensive as Plasma. LCD is the worst of the lot in terms of picture quality and color reproduction.

Please choose the right TV that matches your expectations on picture quality, Color, and Price (Which in my view is very important)

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 22nd December 2011 at 07:40.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 12:15   #5094
BHPian

Guys, I need your expert suggestion in choosing a LCD for 16’x11’ room for a budget of around 35K. I need a 32”LCD having good picture quality and sound. It should have Full HD support and be able to play latest video formats/codec especially MP4, MKV and DivX in USB playback. I have short listed Sony Bravia NX 520, CX 420 and Samsung D580. Which is the best among the three?
Old 26th December 2011, 01:56   #5095
BHPian

I juz bought a 43 inch plasma 43d490 for 38k its 3d ready and its a treat for the eyes ....i was also hunting for a 32inch led and almost finalized on samsung UA 32d5000 went for a demo and came back with plasma
Old 26th December 2011, 02:39   #5096
BHPian

i am getting sony 46 led 3d nx series for around 1.20lacs.any other better options available?
Old 26th December 2011, 04:02   #5097
Senior - BHPian

For that kind of budget you could look at the Sharp 830, the Samsung 8 series or go the whole hog and get the Sony HX925 with the LED local array technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
i am getting sony 46 led 3d nx series for around 1.20lacs.any other better options available?
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 13:20   #5098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
This attachment may help you
Hey Devil Klm.. I am planning to buy a 40 inch so was just using the attachment that you had posted. It says 5.2 feet is the ideal viewing distance for a 40 inch. isn't that a little too close??
Old 26th December 2011, 13:41   #5099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Picked it up from Bangkok - INR 24k
Refresh rate is 50Hz if i'm not mistaken.
And what kind of duty did you end up paying on it? I'm looking at the same model and was wondering if it's cheaper to get it from Bangkok since I might also have a trip coming up.
Old 26th December 2011, 13:57   #5100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
And what kind of duty did you end up paying on it? I'm looking at the same model and was wondering if it's cheaper to get it from Bangkok since I might also have a trip coming up.
Since it's below the 25k allowance that one is allowed to bring in, i don't think any tax would have been applicable unless he bought other stuff too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks