Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:20   #5221
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Was on budget and hence got Toshiba 32PB1E for sweet deal (much cheaper than flipkart price). During the budget TV hunt I came across another Toshiba, but a LED, 26inch which has 2 hour battery back up!

Only Toshiba gives 3 year warranty; another thing which I chose it.

@ Styler; you sure? It shows Delhi in Flipkart.

Also, saw a movie (Resident Evil: Afterlife ) on Sony EX72 + PS3; wow! Also played games in it. 3D Wow

Last edited by jkdas : 2nd February 2012 at 12:23.
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:39   #5222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I don't think lead is used nowadays. The only hazardous material used is mercury, which could cause harm if the unit is broken and mercury leaks from it.

Mercury is also used in CFLs and tube lights, which are more likely to get broken as compared to LCD TV.

If you want to buy LED tv, go for it. But please don't use this environment excuse for rejecting LCD tv.

You could also consider a plasma tv.

Rohan
I am aware of Mercury being used, i just read on a comparison website about Lead being used too. So was just concerned.

I haven't rejected LCD. Its at my top in consideration list. Plasma's start at 46 inches here which is a bit large for my living room. so wanna stick to 40" or so. I saw them side by side watching a football match and didn't find any major difference. So the confusion is even more.

Last edited by chevelle : 2nd February 2012 at 21:41.
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:46   #5223
Senior - BHPian

Two more brands give 3 year warranty one is Panasonic. Irrespective of what their brand shops or the call center may claim, a 3 year warranty card is available at no extra cost from your point of purchase and a single year card comes along with the panel in the c/b box.

The other company is Sony. However in Sony's case the standard warranty is 1 year. An additional 2 year warranty can be bought from either the installation team or by calling their customer service help line. However this needs to be done ASAP after purchase say within a week or fortnight perhaps. Details regarding the monies involved are available on Sony India's web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Only Toshiba gives 3 year warranty; another thing which I chose it.

If here means Baroda then Plasmas start at 42". If here means Sacramento then ignore my reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Plasma's start at 46 inches here which is a bit large for my living room.
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:59   #5224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
If here means Baroda then Plasmas start at 42". If here means Sacramento then ignore my reply.
It is sacramento. Thanks for the reply. 42" plasmas are available online, but i don't wanna risk the shipping experience. While i am sure care will be taken when shipping, chances of damage during shipping is high. So i prefer to buy it from store and most popular ones don't stock 42", only 46" and higher. Also 43" Plasma's are available but with 1080p they go upwards of $600 while 1080p for 40" LCD/LED are available for $400-$500.
Old 3rd February 2012, 01:41   #5225
BHPian

Quote:
It is sacramento. Thanks for the reply. 42" plasmas are available online, but i don't wanna risk the shipping experience. While i am sure care will be taken when shipping, chances of damage during shipping is high.
You don't need to worry about shipping damages as it won't happen easily.
Sites like flipkart & Letsbuy pack the shippment so well, that you would need to spend some serious time unpacking it,
Lots of thermocol, bubble wrap etc etc and everything sealed in company labelled tape, its next to impossible to tamper the package and it would easily sustain transit shocks.

Packages also are insured by these sellers and you would get it replaced in case you have a complaint.

However if you see savings of a few thousands then only go with online order, I am sure you would not regret buying online.
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:12   #5226
BHPian

Quote:
It is sacramento. 42" plasmas are available online, but i don't wanna risk the shipping experience. While i am sure care will be taken when shipping, chances of damage during shipping is high.
Amazon's white glove handling is very safe and popular too, and if there is any problem, the tv is promised to be replaced.
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:56   #5227
BHPian

do we need to have stabilizer for Plasma / lcd's , also does the stabilizer rating change with screen size , i was quoted rs.2600 of Vguard for 42 plasma
Old 4th February 2012, 00:41   #5228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
do we need to have stabilizer for Plasma / lcd's , also does the stabilizer rating change with screen size , i was quoted rs.2600 of Vguard for 42 plasma
Sounds little over priced.

Not compulsory technically But

In India where you have frequent voltage spikes, short circuits, low voltage problem etc, it should be used.
One can use any reliable stabilizer which can the output in case of a spike or thunder.

Most known LCD/LED/Plasma TV's these days have wider range of input voltage handling but disaster do Happen and its better to be safe than sorry.
Old 4th February 2012, 02:49   #5229
BHPian

Anybody has experience with the extended warranty provided by the likes of Croma?

I am asking because right now LG's 3 year warranty + AMC after that or even Panasonic's 3 years warranty vs Samsung's 1 year warranty seem like better deals.

If I do end up going for LG/Panasonic which only have 42" LCD and not 40", I will have to cut the upright columns of my wooden TV Stand :(
Old 4th February 2012, 14:02   #5230
BHPian

I currently use a 32inch VU HD ready LCD in my bedroom.

I am in the market to buy a new Flat panel for my living room. Following are things of importance to me.

1. Has to be 40-42 inch Full HD Flat panel with multiple HDMI inputs for my DVD player, WD Live TV Hub etc.

2. USB slots with as many formats acceptance as possible.

3. I don’t care if it is not a smart tv and i don’t need 3D either.

4. As good picture quality as my 50k budget will allow. Movies, Moto GP and F1 is what i am looking forward to watching on this, just for an idea.(Budget can be increased by 10-15k if there is an absolute need to do so)

5. Most importantly, LCD vs LED vs Plasma? Please specify a product and why?
Old 4th February 2012, 21:45   #5231
Team-BHP Support

Ok guys, urgent query. Need to get a 22" flat panel TV for the bedroom. Undecided between LCD/LED. Our primary TV is Samsung, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Options (prices in Pai Intl Store. Samsung showroom is quoting 1-1.5k more for all models):

22" LCD : 13k
22" LCD with USB video playback: 14.5k
22" LED: 18.5-19k

Equivalent spec models available in Panasonic, Toshiba and Onida. Price range similar. Warranty is one year only (no extended warranty options). Does these look like good deals?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th February 2012 at 21:48.
Old 5th February 2012, 09:51   #5232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Ok guys, urgent query. Need to get a 22" flat panel TV for the bedroom. Undecided between LCD/LED. Our primary TV is Samsung, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Options (prices in Pai Intl Store. Samsung showroom is quoting 1-1.5k more for all models):

22" LCD : 13k
22" LCD with USB video playback: 14.5k
22" LED: 18.5-19k

Equivalent spec models available in Panasonic, Toshiba and Onida. Price range similar. Warranty is one year only (no extended warranty options). Does these look like good deals?
I recently bought the Samsung LED 22" for my bedroom. Have been pretty impressed by its capabilities. It acts as my TV and monitor. Plays most videos I have from my ext hard disk, so my WD TV has become a waste now. Price-18,900.
Old 5th February 2012, 14:17   #5233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The first one is an LCD and has all the features including a LAN port.

Flipkart: Panasonic 42 Inches Full HD LCD TH-L42U30D: Television

In case you want a Wifi ready plasma panel then look at the following

Flipkart: Panasonic 42 Inches Full HD Plasma TH-P42U30D: Television
Quote:
Two more brands give 3 year warranty one is Panasonic. Irrespective of what their brand shops or the call center may claim, a 3 year warranty card is available at no extra cost from your point of purchase and a single year card comes along with the panel in the c/b box.
Flipkart mentions only 1 year domestic India warranty. Do you need to call/contact them and request for this 3-year warranty card?
Old 5th February 2012, 15:46   #5234
Senior - BHPian

Yes, you would have to get in touch with the Panasonic customer service over the phone and they will provide you with an email address to write in and request the appropriate warranty card. You may contact the customer service people in advance and reconfirm that panels sold by Flipkart would also enjoy the 3 year warranty.

To quote from my own experience. Croma the vendor in my case did not have the 3 year cards readily available (the one year card comes in the box). I called and subsequently emailed Panasonic's customer service department and they asked for a soft copy of my bill and the one year warranty card duly filled with the panel's serial number etc. Per return they sent me a mail along with an attachent giving me a unique warranty number clearly mentioning the 3 year warranty period.

Hope the above helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Flipkart mentions only 1 year domestic India warranty. Do you need to call/contact them and request for this 3-year warranty card?
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 21:15   #5235
BHPian

Hi Guys. Need some much needed advise from the gurus.

I have a budget of appx. 40k, and i am confused between 32" full HD LED(preferably Samsung) or 42" full HD Plasma(Panasonic/Samsung?).

I am not much tech savvy, so really very confused. Both the screen sizes will be fine for the room i want to put the TV in, so bigger the better.

But crisp & clear picture quality is a must. I love watching F1 racing, so blur is a big no-no. I have read about "burn-in" of Plasma tv, is this issue still present in the latest plasma tv's?

Also, Samsung has a concept of Clear Motion Rate? Can anyone throw some light on the same? Which Hz CMR will be best?

Below are a few tv sets i am contemplating buying. You can suggest something else/better:

Samsung UA32D5000PRMXL (Showroom people have the model as UA32D5000. Is there any difference among the two?)

Panasonic VIERA TH-P42U30D (it comes with 3 year warranty)

Please suggest which one will be the best buy, or if there is any other Model which you'd suggest in this budget. I need to make the purchase before this weekend, so request suggestions on the best model.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks