Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2012, 18:45   #5206
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Ive been looking for the Panasonic P42U30D in Delhi for the last month now. It's not available anywhere. I have been told that this model is discontinued. Is this true ? Now there is no option to buy a Full HD 40 /42" Plasma in any brand :(
Styler
Old 29th January 2012, 19:44   #5207
BHPian

@Styler,

It's available on Flipkart if you don't have a problem buying it online. Flipkart: Panasonic 42 Inches Full HD Plasma TH-P42U30D: Television

Last edited by rishab.k : 29th January 2012 at 19:46.
Old 29th January 2012, 20:54   #5208
Senior - BHPian

Try and find one through which you can route the signal cable & LAN cable ( in case your tv has a LAN port) in addition to the power cable. Surges through the coax cable and the HDMI cable can blow the communication boards in the tvs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOn View Post
Purchased Panasonic 42x30d today for 33,240 from Croma.

What are the power protection devices recommended? At our place there are no power fluctuations so is a belkin surge protector enough? Also should I go for gold series or any surge protector will do the job?

U30 is the incoming model of 2012. You need to go to either the Panasonic brand shops or Croma stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Ive been looking for the Panasonic P42U30D in Delhi for the last month now. It's not available anywhere. I have been told that this model is discontinued. Is this true ? Now there is no option to buy a Full HD 40 /42" Plasma in any brand :(
Styler
Old 29th January 2012, 21:49   #5209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
@Styler,

It's available on Flipkart if you don't have a problem buying it online. Flipkart: Panasonic 42 Inches Full HD Plasma TH-P42U30D: Television
Hi Rishab,
From Flipkart it is available only in Mumbai, not Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
U30 is the incoming model of 2012. You need to go to either the Panasonic brand shops or Croma stores.
I have checked everywhere, even Panasonic Stores, Reliance Digital, Jumbo Electronics, and many other dealers. In Delhi, it has been out of stock since Diwali.
Old 30th January 2012, 00:51   #5210
Senior - BHPian

That is surprising since the U 30 was introduced in September. If you are really keen talk to this guy : R S Minhas @ 9650466880. He is one of the Channel Sales Manager for Panasonic looking after central Delhi and should be able to provide you with correct information, maybe even locate/arrange the set for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
I have checked everywhere, even Panasonic Stores, Reliance Digital, Jumbo Electronics, and many other dealers. In Delhi, it has been out of stock since Diwali.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 11:29   #5211
BHPian

Got the Samsung 4 series for 23100.Its got 1 year warranty.Will be delivered today.
Thanks everyone for their inputs.
Old 30th January 2012, 13:45   #5212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
could you please PM me the details - where to pick up, managing with airlines and tax issues at entry in india?
You have a PM with all the details of the purchase.
Old 30th January 2012, 13:53   #5213

@Styler
Look at Sony Bravia as an option... they have some good choices in Full HD.
Also, if you know anybody who works in Sony India, you can get it a real cool price (They have amazing prices being offered to their employees... I heard something like 40% less than MRP!!!)
Old 30th January 2012, 22:45   #5214
BHPian

how to check how many hours T.v has been used and count of no. of times the T.V was switched on.

Model panny plasma 42x30d.
Old 31st January 2012, 11:16   #5215
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to buy a flat panel TV for my bedroom. This would be my first flat panel TV. My budget is 35k.

I am confused whether to go for a 32 inch full HD LCD (Samsung 5 series) or 42 inch HD ready plasma (Panasonic X series).

My viewing distance would be 8-10 feet. I am not the kind of person who can make out the difference between 720p or 1080p from a distance of 8 feet.

DLNA is a must have feature for me. I would have gone for 32 inch HD ready LCD (Samsung 4 series) if it had DLNA.

This TV would be connected to Tata Sky HD+ box. It would be used for watching both HD and SD content, plus occasional movies played from laptop (hence the requirement for DLNA).

Guys please help me clear the confusion.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 31st January 2012 at 11:22.
Old 31st January 2012, 13:13   #5216
BHPian

rohan_iitr

First thing, ALways buy Full HD, Second, always buy the biggest screen that you can afford. Third, Samsung 5 Series has a LED backlit Full HD LCD 32" TV UA32D5900VR. This is a pretty good TV. This has DLNA. I have the above TV for one bedroom.

Alternatively, 8 - 10 feet of space is good enough for a larger screen size, if you can expand your spend to 65 - 70 K max, Samsung has a lovely 3D 50" Plasma TV and this will be far superior to anything in that price range.
PM - B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 13:29   #5217
Senior - BHPian

The procedure below is for the VT series, should work for the X series too

1) Hold down V- button on the TV and press "RECALL" button 3 times on the remote
2) Press 2 to get to SRV-TOOL
3) Press OK to Enter
4) Navigate to Bottom Right Hand Cell using the Directional Buttons on remote
5) Hold Down "Mute" for a few seconds and the used hours and number of times the panel has been switched ON will be displayed in the same row. The format of the diplayed time is Hours:Minutes
6) Press "EXIT" for few seconds to come out of this menu (The TV will reboot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
how to check how many hours T.v has been used and count of no. of times the T.V was switched on.

Model panny plasma 42x30d.

With the Tatasky+ connection or for that matter with a DVD playing you will be able to make out the difference between the HD ready and full HD panel even with your eyes closed. I have a 32" HD ready Hitachi LCD and a 50" Full HD Panasonic Plasma panel, both connected to Tata sky+ PVR boxes and the difference is obvious.

If I may comment on the screen size. I personally find the 32" just a bit too small and the 50" a tad bigger for normal usage (8-12 feet). A 40" or a 42" as in Panasonic PDP/LCDs would be just the right size, as in those below. The first one is an LCD and has all the features including a LAN port.

Flipkart: Panasonic 42 Inches Full HD LCD TH-L42U30D: Television

In case you want a Wifi ready plasma panel then look at the following

Flipkart: Panasonic 42 Inches Full HD Plasma TH-P42U30D: Television

Whichever tv you buy do use the HDMI cable that will come with the Tata Sky+ box to feed signals to your tv. In itself it will give you a marked improvement on the PQ compared to the AV component cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I am planning to buy a flat panel TV for my bedroom. This would be my first flat panel TV. My budget is 35k.

I am confused whether to go for a 32 inch full HD LCD (Samsung 5 series) or 42 inch HD ready plasma (Panasonic X series).

My viewing distance would be 8-10 feet. I am not the kind of person who can make out the difference between 720p or 1080p from a distance of 8 feet.

DLNA is a must have feature for me. I would have gone for 32 inch HD ready LCD (Samsung 4 series) if it had DLNA.

This TV would be connected to Tata Sky HD+ box. It would be used for watching both HD and SD content, plus occasional movies played from laptop (hence the requirement for DLNA).

Guys please help me clear the confusion.

Rohan
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 17:49   #5218
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw few posts which regarding networking and TV, so thought will put it across to clear doubts if any.

Most of so called 'Smart TV's' support LAN connection, means you can connect a LAN cable to browse internet, stream videos from YouTube, access social networking sites and all based on which all applications your TV supports.

Apart from LAN connection support some TV's support Wi-Fi connection too, means you can do all the above without needing to connect LAN cable from your Modem/ Router (Helps in decreasing cables running around your living room). However as far as I know non of the TV comes Wi-Fi enabled (its just Wi-Fi ready), means you need to buy an additional Wi-Fi thingy (dongle?) to help connect your TV to your Wi-Fi Router. Though its a one time investment the receiver roughly in range of 2K is much expensive than pulling a LAN cable.

DLNA- As mentioned by many its used to connect your TV to other storage mediums (Laptop, Mobile etc). This does not need any internet connection and hence no download charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Whichever tv you buy do use the HDMI cable that will come with the Tata Sky+ box to feed signals to your tv. In itself it will give you a marked improvement on the PQ compared to the AV component cable.
This is good to hear. I have the normal Tata Sky connection and after purchasing 47LED TV checked the clarity using AV component cable. Was really disappointed to see the PQ. Waiting to shift to new house so that can get TATA sky HD along with address shift. Hope the HDMI connection improves the quality of SD channels too.
Old 2nd February 2012, 04:23   #5219
Senior - BHPian

If one is to buy a flat panel TV which one is the most recommended on LED or LCD TV?

I am in process of buying a 32/40/42 incher for living room and wondering if i should spend a little extra up front and get LED which will be next generation or should i stay with tried and tested LCD?

I read somewhere that LCD uses lead during production which can cause long term harm to environment and family.

And while we are at, which is a good buy viz-a-viz Samsung/Panny/LG/Sony/Sharp? please advise. Thanks a lot.
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:23   #5220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
If one is to buy a flat panel TV which one is the most recommended on LED or LCD TV?

I am in process of buying a 32/40/42 incher for living room and wondering if i should spend a little extra up front and get LED which will be next generation or should i stay with tried and tested LCD?

I read somewhere that LCD uses lead during production which can cause long term harm to environment and family.

And while we are at, which is a good buy viz-a-viz Samsung/Panny/LG/Sony/Sharp? please advise. Thanks a lot.
I don't think lead is used nowadays. The only hazardous material used is mercury, which could cause harm if the unit is broken and mercury leaks from it.

Mercury is also used in CFLs and tube lights, which are more likely to get broken as compared to LCD TV.

If you want to buy LED tv, go for it. But please don't use this environment excuse for rejecting LCD tv.

You could also consider a plasma tv.

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks