Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2013, 12:16   #6586
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Bad news for all Panasonic Plasma lovers

There is hope yet for plasma lovers like me...

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/panaso...20130318-00010
Old 18th March 2013, 12:29   #6587
Senior - BHPian

Well, since they are indeed selling other divisions, I hope they sell Plasma division to Samsung or someone who can continue with it.
Old 18th March 2013, 13:12   #6588
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post
There is hope yet for plasma lovers like me...

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/panaso...20130318-00010
Thanks!. I just wish they continue making them, my Panasonic P42V20 is 2 and half years old, I absolutely love it, yesterday had an opportunity to check out a LED from a well known brand, watched some sports on it and could not believe how superior my Panasonic plasma was to this 2013 model, the blacks, contrast, smoothness. If Panasonic decides to stop plasma, I plan to buy another Panasonic plasma, preferably a 50 inch one, would love a 55 inch one though.

Last edited by rbp : 18th March 2013 at 13:13.
Old 18th March 2013, 13:29   #6589
Senior - BHPian

Nikkei: Panasonic may end plasma HDTV production soon - http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/17/n...oduction-soon/

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th March 2013 at 23:56. Reason: Please avoid typing in all BOLD. Thanks.
Old 18th March 2013, 16:43   #6590
BHPian

Couple of weeks before, I purchased Toshiba 40PS20ZE for 42K from one of the electronic outlets in Bangalore. I had zeroed on Panasonic 42 incher however I ended up buying Toshiba. Like the TV very much and have been sitting in front of it since I purchased it. Could some one tell me whether it is possible to find out the usage hours in Toshiba?
Old 24th March 2013, 14:36   #6591
BHPian

I am in the process of Finalizing between 2 Plasmas -
01. Panasonic TH-P65ST50D - Rs.190K + 4 3D Glasses
02. Samsung PS64E8000GRLXL - Rs.176K
Did some browsing on the net and found both the sets are equally well rated by critics.
Planning to go for one by next weekend. Will appreciate any input from all of you....
Old 24th March 2013, 17:27   #6592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbops1
I am in the process of Finalizing between 2 Plasmas
Get the one which has a better service back up and get them to state their policy w.r.t. panels that cannot be repaired. I myself have a 50"VT20 and have used Panny's service and am also aware of other people having their panels replaced with similar or better panels in cases where it was so required. Do a bit of research, maybe on a forum like hifivision which is dedicated to audio n video scene in our country.

If you are not fixated on the 65" I would like to recommend the 50"GT50D especially if you are going to watch a lot of DVD or BRs. The THX settings take the PQ to another level, not so much though for STB/dish + box etc.

Last edited by khoj : 24th March 2013 at 17:30.
Old 24th March 2013, 18:15   #6593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbops1 View Post
I am in the process of Finalizing between 2 Plasmas -
01. Panasonic TH-P65ST50D - Rs.190K + 4 3D Glasses
02. Samsung PS64E8000GRLXL - Rs.176K
Did some browsing on the net and found both the sets are equally well rated by critics.
Planning to go for one by next weekend. Will appreciate any input from all of you....
For that size, I can tell you, if something goes wrong, you will not get a replacement set from Panasonic. You will have to go with refund or will have to take an LED that the company might offer you.

With Samsung, the warranty is just 1 year, but they might be able to give you a replacement considering they have more stock available for the country.
However after first year, you are pretty much on your own.
Old 28th March 2013, 17:34   #6594
Senior - BHPian

I posted this elsewhere and now posting here for the benefit of the members:

The 2013 plasma flagship model from Samsung is F8500. US price is Rs. 1.1 lac for 51".
The other models are F5500 (dual core), F5000 (no 3D) and F4500 (HD only).

Very weird that Samsung has kept the same model number for LED as well as Plasma in Europe.
e.g. F8500, F5500, F5000 are both plasma and LED models.

Now, F8500 plasma is comparable to Panasonic VT-50.
Review here: https://www.tweaktv.com/in-dspth-hdt...00-plasma.html

The question is: How soon and at what price will Samsung offer this to Indian customers?
An the second question is: Will we get an option to buy 3 year warranty?
Old 28th March 2013, 17:44   #6595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I posted this elsewhere and now posting here for the benefit of the members:

The 2013 plasma flagship model from Samsung is F8500. US price is Rs. 1.1 lac for 51".
That is expensive. AFAIK the Indian prices are about 30% higher than US prices on account of duties and taxes. So for 51 incher US prices are 1.1 lac then Indian prices would be around 1.45. Guess it would be better if you could buy any 2012 set from Panny / Samsung.
Old 28th March 2013, 17:56   #6596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
That is expensive. AFAIK the Indian prices are about 30% higher than US prices on account of duties and taxes. So for 51 incher US prices are 1.1 lac then Indian prices would be around 1.45. Guess it would be better if you could buy any 2012 set from Panny / Samsung.
While in theory you could buy last year's model, in practice, you will not get anything from Panasonic since they are not importing anything and anything from Samsung, since they cleared their E8000 inventory in November itself at good price.

So, with Local Body Tax in the state, be prepare to spend a lot more this year.
Old 28th March 2013, 22:16   #6597
BHPian

A friend's LED TV has a black transluscent band across the top of the screen as shown in simulated image attached with this post. Sometimes it's not there, sometimes it appears on top left hand corner and gradually fills up the top 1/4th of screen. The duration of normal screen is very limited, a matter of few minutes. The band repeats regularly.

Company technician says it is a problem with the panel and it has to be replaced. They (owner and technician) attribute it to having wiped the screen with wet cloth. I never thought an LED panel is so sensitive.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-ledtvle191331.jpg  

Old 29th March 2013, 01:51   #6598
BHPian

I recently got a Samsung LED UA46ES7100R from Dubai.

I have 2 issues with it, it's panel is very reflective and more importantly it intermittently loses HDMI signal.
This only happens when either any random switch is being turned on or off, it could be a tube light, AC or CCFL.
The LED is under a 1KW BlueBird stabiliser.

I don't know what to do :(

The TV has international warranty till Jan 2014
Old 29th March 2013, 11:07   #6599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
... Company technician says it is a problem with the panel and it has to be replaced. They (owner and technician) attribute it to having wiped the screen with wet cloth. I never thought an LED panel is so sensitive.
The problem is with panel warping at the top left region. No amount of wet wiping will cause this problem. It is remotely possible that the panel was scrubbed / pressed rather strongly in that region (doesn't matter with a wet cloth or dry) causing the panel to buckle a teeny weeny bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
... it's panel is very reflective and more importantly it intermittently loses HDMI signal.
This only happens when either any random switch is being turned on or off, it could be a tube light, AC or CCFL....
You can't do anything about the reflectivity other than putting dark curtains in front of the offending windows.

The 'loses HDMI signal' problem is not with the TV. It is the STB (Set Top Box) which is misbehaving on spikes in the power supply.

And why a stabilizer with the TV???
Old 29th March 2013, 11:08   #6600
Senior - BHPian

It is the weight if the stabiliser that is killing your panel. LOL

On a serious note do remove the stabilizer and check for the signal loss. If it persists then try with a different HDMI cable. You could carry out the steps in reverse order also.

Interference between two separate outlets is also an indication of the neutral and phase wires being interchanged especially when a power socket is involved.

Reflections from the panel depend on the type of glass used, guess you will have to live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
I recently got a Samsung LED UA46ES7100R from Dubai.

I have 2 issues with it, it's panel is very reflective and more importantly it intermittently loses HDMI signal.
This only happens when either any random switch is being turned on or off, it could be a tube light, AC or CCFL.
The LED is under a 1KW BlueBird stabiliser.

I don't know what to do :(

The TV has international warranty till Jan 2014

Most Viewed