Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2013, 18:02   #6571
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

^Most of the TV's on ebay (probably ALL of them on the deals page) are imported from SE Asia. They do not come with company warranty.
I am not sure if VAT is paid for the same.
You will get some sort of a bill of course.
The rates in Delhi market will be competitive to give these online dealers a run for their money.
Remember ebay charges around 7% as commission. However for these deals, they may be letting go some of that commission.

Last edited by S_U_N : 13th March 2013 at 18:03.
Old 13th March 2013, 18:20   #6572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
What is wrong with it? These goods are bought from a place where it is cheaper compared to India, duty is paid and then sold in India.
Well, since the duty is paid the government wouldn't complain but still the company could. Basically it is lost sales for local subsidiary. For e.g. The global H.O. of Samsung might not complain if a Singapore LCD is sold in India but Samsung India certainly would.
Old 14th March 2013, 00:35   #6573
BHPian

Quote:

Good that you posted the link. I hope you are aware of the cons and pros of buying it from there.

If you have missed to buy this, chill, you will find a lot of similar deals on ebay anytime. You can also bargain with the seller offline.
Yes, I did miss it. When I posted first on this thread it said 10 pcs left and deal closes tomorrow,and if you have noticed even after the deal is closed it still says 10 pcs left.
Anyways, like I said I am not in such a hurry, because of the home renovations. Yes, I am aware of the pros and cons, thanks.
About bargaining offline, do u mean dealing with them directly? Could you elaborate please?
Thanks Gooogleman,

Cheers,
D.
Old 14th March 2013, 15:04   #6574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
... Is there some kind of nice tight covers available for these TVs to protect them from dust when not running? Just curious.
I did come across such a product at Reliance Digital last year when I was hunting for a TV. Costs around 700 bucks. Didn't purchase/check it out so not sure about snug fit.
Old 14th March 2013, 16:51   #6575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
About bargaining offline, do u mean dealing with them directly? Could you elaborate please?
Thanks Gooogleman,

Cheers,
D.
The sellers will have their contact numbers mentioned in the description of the sale. If not, you have a contact seller option in Ebay where you can send them a message. Ask for the phone number.

Call them and try bargaining on phone is what I meant. However, whatever the conclusion is, do not pay through bank transfer or anything else, other than Paisapay (i.e through ebay). This ensures your buying experience is fraud free. If you pay to the seller directly, they may cheat.

Now, the seller has to pay some commission to e-bay if the transaction happens though e-bay, so it is always profitable for them to do the transaction outside e-bay, but this is not safe for the seller. Very few honest people in the world now.

Try looking for sellers in e-bay from your own city, you can contact them through e-bay but do the transaction offline, which is safest and commission-free. In such cases, the seller may reduce the price even more.

Hope this helps.

P.S - I have done lots of online shopping worth 20-30K each, where I have made the payment directly to the seller before even he could courier the product. I was lucky to meet just good people, everyone may not be
Old 15th March 2013, 00:34   #6576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I did come across such a product at Reliance Digital last year when I was hunting for a TV. Costs around 700 bucks. Didn't purchase/check it out so not sure about snug fit.
Thanks longhorn,
Will check them out after my tv shopping.

Quote:
Try looking for sellers in e-bay from your own city, you can contact them through e-bay but do the transaction offline, which is safest and commission-free. In such cases, the seller may reduce the price even more.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your input and the heads up, I intend on doing this, One of chennai seller has given out his mail id and mobile no., I have mailed him. Will do the due diligence and take due care before paying out.

Thanks again guys.

Cheers,
D
Old 15th March 2013, 16:48   #6577
BHPian

Is Rs 84.7K a good price LG 47 LM 7600 in Bangalore? How is LM 7600 compared to panasonic plasma's?
Old 16th March 2013, 14:11   #6578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Is Rs 84.7K a good price LG 47 LM 7600 in Bangalore? How is LM 7600 compared to panasonic plasma's?
^I think it is a great price. Also check the pricing for 55 incher (same model). The best I have heard is 1.35 lac.
Old 16th March 2013, 18:22   #6579
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys, is anyone here using Sony HX850 LED panel. If yes do provide a review, thanks in advance.
Old 16th March 2013, 18:51   #6580
Distinguished - BHPian

A general query to AV experts. Given the same display tech, ie LED, LCD or plasma and a range of brands to choose from, how can we differentiate what is good and what is not when it comes to the display quality? That too, there are plenty of modes and settings to vary the display output. So, how can we compare two LED Tvs, or two plasma TVs etc? I am talking only about display quality and ignoring other components like I/Os, Media capablity and the like.

I have a Bravia EX520 with me. Generally I found that the clarity is better compared to a few LG LEDs and an Onida one, which was crap. So, is general observation the key to comparing TVs? The display units in the shop have extreme values of brightness and contrast which make it difficult for an average person to decide.

Though I am satisfied with what I have, in case I have to compare, what would be the criterion?
Old 16th March 2013, 20:54   #6581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
... how can we differentiate what is good and what is not when it comes to the display quality? ...
Since you seem to have a background in audio, let me try giving you an example that you can relate to. If you have heard an instrument play live in front of you, you know what it sounds like - with all its nuances and mild resonances, twangs, zings and all. If you were to hear a recording, you will be able to hear some of such components missing due to reproduction losses / inabilities - or even over-accentuated / spurious sounds and noise.

Now think the same with visuals, and you will be able to sense the absence of some elements / aspects (e.g. details in shadows), over-accentuation (artificially enhanced picture, usually clipping in whites / pure colors) and other artifacts (smearing, ghosts, etc.). It is easy to check if the showroom has kept settings at high - just ask the showroom person to set it to factory defaults in front of you.

Unlike what people think, usually showroom persons don't tamper with settings - too much work, and which brand's TV will you do it to! If they do, they land up messing it up. The inherent differences between brands and models become evident in the reproduction that you would see with factory defaults. Some like the LCD sets, some Plasma and some the LED sets. It is a very subjective impression. Get your own impressions systematically.
Old 16th March 2013, 21:56   #6582
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks DerAlte, yes it can be related to audio, and with audio, I have a sensitive ear. Only my eyes don't seem to be equally good :P When we went TV hunting, most of the TVs were kept at full enhancements On, like colour enhance, noise reduction and a host of such processing. That itself draws crowds from a distance, looking at the vibrant and bright colors shown. To top it they use full HD Demo videos. Thats why I got this query.
Old 17th March 2013, 21:14   #6583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
... with audio, I have a sensitive ear. Only my eyes don't seem to be equally good ...
No, your ears are trained over ears of listening. Similarly, it is not about 6/6 vision with eyes - it is about training one's eyes and brain to look for anomalies and flaws.

Next time, ask them for the remote control - if they don't give it, forget it and go to another shop.
Old 18th March 2013, 09:20   #6584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^I think it is a great price. Also check the pricing for 55 incher (same model). The best I have heard is 1.35 lac.
Thank you S_U_N,
I don't have quote for 55" in LM7600. But 55LM9600 cost 1.435 lac. We don't want 55" because its too big for our room (21'X14'). Also It nearly 1.5 times 47". If I do decide on 55", I will go with 9600 instead of 7600.
Old 18th March 2013, 10:36   #6585
rbp
BHPian

Bad news for all Panasonic Plasma lovers

Quote:
While we've heard rumors of the death of plasmas before, Japanese business paper The Nikkei is reporting that Panasonic may stop using the technology in fiscal 2014. Without citing sources, it claims Panasonic will shut down production at its main Amagasaki plant, reducing production gradually to avoid angering partners and retailers. A Panasonic spokesperson tells Reuters that the company has not made any decisions on the future of its TV business yet. The Nikkei's info indicates it will downsize the entire TV business, including reductions in LCD manufacturing, over the next three years.

What's next? OLED, as Sony and Panasonic are partnering on developing the technology and according to the report it plans to outsource manufacturing to keep costs down. We'll find out how much of this turns out to be true in the coming months, but for now we'll just appreciate the company's latest round of Viera plasmas.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/17/n...oduction-soon/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks