Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2013, 18:20   #6556
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Bhpians, I want to buy a new TV in B'lore.

Have not done any research on this side, so some inputs are really appreciated.

Requirements:
Should be under 20k.
The bigger, the merrier.
I plan to install a normal STB, not the HD kind; not right away anyway.
I would like to watch movies that I download on my laptop ( FLV/MP4 formats) on the TV. I know it is possible in some, but have no clue how.

Suggestions welcome and thanks for your time.
Old 11th March 2013, 00:12   #6557
BHPian

Hey, I'm looking to purchase a new 40-42 inch LED TV.

Confused which TV to buy. Have the following options:

Sony EX650/ NX650
LG 6410 (3d TV)
Samsung ( haven't done any research)

So, far its these three Brands that I'm open to buying. Don't have any clue about other brands.

Any suggestions, pros, cons would be really appreciated.
Old 11th March 2013, 19:39   #6558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
You should ideally be looking at a full hd led model to take full advantage of the HD stb. For a HD ready TV, your regular stb should be good enough. The price difference between lcd and led has reduced considerably. Unless you are on a tight budget, go for LED.
As far as I am aware, none of the HD stb providers in India are supplying 1080p. Then why is there a need for Full HD; HD ready should be sufficient.
Old 12th March 2013, 23:29   #6559
Senior - BHPian

A good price for a decent TV.
http://shopping.indiatimes.com/elect...medium=banners

Price Rs 18K after discount coupon.
Old 13th March 2013, 00:52   #6560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post

As far as I am aware, none of the HD stb providers in India are supplying 1080p. Then why is there a need for Full HD; HD ready should be sufficient.
HD ready is generally referred to a resolution of 720p, though the television would accept 1080i and 1080p signals and downscale them.

Buying a full HD tv also makes you future proof. Currently we have 1080i from HD STB's.
Its just a matter of time before we have 1080p signals. Many people would be holding on to the same TV's till then as well.

In case you want to connect a blu ray player or may be a HD media player in future,you will definitely miss Full HD.

Last edited by k2max6 : 13th March 2013 at 00:54.
Old 13th March 2013, 09:36   #6561
BHPian

I am looking out for a 65" TV. I wanted to consider the Panasonic plasma after reading so much about it in this thread. I went to Girias yesterday and was offered the P65VT30 for about 2.4lacs. They had a panasonic catalog which had the P65vt50 shown. When I asked for its pricing it was not there. The rep then called up Panasonic sales office and he was told in India only the VT30 series is available. I got back home went on the net to find out what Panasonic is selling here is in fact a 3 year old version. If you look at their global site the 2013 line up is available when they are selling the left overs to us ..... the gullible indians. Really cant understand why these companies keep treating us as rag pickers ????
Old 13th March 2013, 12:13   #6562
Senior - BHPian

^ You are correct. When I spoke to Panasonic for the ST and GT series, I was informed that they did not see a market for these high end models in India, hence supply to India is really low. The RM also said the manufacturing costs are very high, etc., so they are not producing high volumes - which I cannot digest.
If these are available so freely in the western world at a lower cost, then what is the problem in selling them in India at a higher cost?
Perhaps, Panasonic has a notion that Indians cannot buy or will not buy a TV for 2000 to 3000 USD.

I would suggest wait till May to get new models from all vendors.
Old 13th March 2013, 15:14   #6563
BHPian

Hello all,
I have been contemplating on a 40inch Led for a while and even upgraded from RelianceSD to TataskyHD, the reason for postponing it being massive renovations being carried out at home, the amount dust generated is unbearable and worried it might screw up the TV. The thing is I have zeroed it down to Samsung UA40ES6220 TV, and it is available on a one day offer on eBay with more discount and a Skype camera free.
Any personal experience on this particular 6 series anyone? Any help will be much appreciated. Pointers for safe keeping of tv in high dust condition is also welcomed .

Also how reliable is the sellers on eBay for buying home appliances? My experiences with them till now has been good *touches wood*, but the costliest I have bought from them is a 4k modem, so!

Thanks guys.

Cheers,
D
Old 13th March 2013, 15:29   #6564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
Hello all,
Pointers for safe keeping of tv in high dust condition is also welcomed .

Also how reliable is the sellers on eBay for buying home appliances? My experiences with them till now has been good *touches wood*, but the costliest I have bought from them is a 4k modem, so!

Thanks guys.

Cheers,
D
If you have another TV, keep this one safe aside in orginal packaging till you are through with the renovation (after you ensure that the tv works fine that is) or you can postpone your purchase till after the renovation is over.
Old 13th March 2013, 16:15   #6565
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,
I have been contemplating on a 40inch Led for a while and even upgraded from RelianceSD to TataskyHD, the reason for postponing it being massive renovations being carried out at home, the amount dust generated is unbearable and worried it might screw up the TV. The thing is I have zeroed it down to Samsung UA40ES6220 TV, and it is available on a one day offer on eBay with more discount and a Skype camera free.
Any personal experience on this particular 6 series anyone? Any help will be much appreciated. Pointers for safe keeping of tv in high dust condition is also welcomed .

Thanks guys.

Cheers,
D
E-bay is completely safe if you make the payment though Paisa-pay (i.e Ebay associate). If the product turns out to be faulty, they return your money back before it can even go to the seller.

Mind posting the link of the sale?
Old 13th March 2013, 16:55   #6566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post

If you have another TV, keep this one safe aside in orginal packaging till you are through with the renovation (after you ensure that the tv works fine that is) or you can postpone your purchase till after the renovation is over.
Thanks Longhorn,
Yes, that was one of my options, Is there some kind of nice tight covers available for these TVs to protect them from dust when not running? Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post

E-bay is completely safe if you make the payment though Paisa-pay (i.e Ebay associate). If the product turns out to be faulty, they return your money back before it can even go to the seller.

Mind posting the link of the sale?
Hi Gooogleman,
Thanks for your feedback,I use eBay mostly for mobile, ipad accessories and small time gadgets, that's why the anxiety as this is like 50 grand shopping.
And yes my bad, I thought I had given out the link already in my previous post. Here is the link.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....ht_14298wt_922

Guys, your views on the Samsung 6 series as well please, want to book in few hours.

Cheers,
D
Old 13th March 2013, 17:10   #6567
BHPian

Quote:
And yes my bad, I thought I had given out the link already in my previous post. Here is the link.

Guys, your views on the Samsung 6 series as well please, want to book in few hours.

Cheers,
D
I myself had got a 6220 46" just a couple of weeks back from grey. Fully satisfied with the product.
Just out of curiousity- I clicked the above link and I see item has ended. And same item at almost 4k higher price now. Hope you were through !!!? 48k is quite a good price- the lowest I was able to bargain for the 40incher was for around 50.5k during my purchase days. And, there is some *** sale going on in ebay-is this product available through that discount??
Old 13th March 2013, 17:18   #6568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
I myself had got a 6220 46" just a couple of weeks back from grey.
If it is a grey market product how are they able to sell it legally on ebay? Isn't the government or the company has any objection to it?
Old 13th March 2013, 17:25   #6569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post

If it is a grey market product how are they able to sell it legally on ebay? Isn't the government or the company has any objection to it?
I didn't mention it was from ebay. I just got it from outside - from a person who had imported it/ brought along from Bangkok through third parites, it seems.
BTW- in this particular posting in ebay, the seller has mentioned it is from Singapore or so. I'm not sure whether we call it grey or not. Duties would have been probably paid or not?
Old 13th March 2013, 17:56   #6570
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Gooogleman,
Thanks for your feedback,I use eBay mostly for mobile, ipad accessories and small time gadgets, that's why the anxiety as this is like 50 grand shopping.

Cheers,
D
Good that you posted the link. I hope you are aware of the cons and pros of buying it from there.

If you have missed to buy this, chill, you will find a lot of similar deals on ebay anytime. You can also bargain with the seller offline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
the lowest I was able to bargain for the 40incher was for around 50.5k during my purchase days.
You will get plenty of 40'' in even less than 40K now. How long is it now since you bought your TV? Did you get all the accessories? I guess wall mount and Company warranty are 2 things which you do not get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
What is wrong with it? These goods are bought from a place where it is cheaper compared to India, duty is paid and then sold in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks