Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2016, 16:07   #8056
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
UPS/Stabilizer are passive devices
A stabilizer for sure but how can a UPS be a passive device? It provides real time protection (depending upon the model) afaik.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I wanted to know of an specific model/brand along with capacity which will serve the purpose for a 50" LED TV.around 80k. So I want to be safe rather than sorry due to power cuts etc.
A 800 VA double battery UPS of any renowned brand should be sufficient to take the load easily. e.g. a similar Microtek UPS (which I use) should cost around 3k whereas the suggested stabilisers cost around 1~1.5k. I don't think that extra investment should be a cause of worry when a UPS offers so much more than a stabilizer including surge and spike protection, over/under voltage protection etc. etc. including power backup.

Cheers..
Old 31st March 2016, 16:48   #8057
BHPian

May I suggest that unplug the power cord from the socket everyday before sleeping.
Old 31st March 2016, 16:54   #8058
Senior - BHPian

Since we talking about protecting our expensive TV's let me chip in my 1 cent.
I am using Sollatek SVS04 stabilizer for my 50" plasma. The power line is notoriously bad between 9 and 11 AM (approx.) every day and for the last 2.5 years, the device has been shielding the TV very well. I spent a little more than Rs. 3000 for this 4 Amp device and I think it was worth the money.
I would still be happy to have an internal battery wala UPS which has true sine wave output to add after the stabilizer. But such products don't seem to be available in small sizes..

http://www.sollatek.com/wp-content/u...l-Feb-2013.pdf

Last edited by S_U_N : 31st March 2016 at 16:55.
Old 31st March 2016, 16:55   #8059
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I already have http://www.flipkart.com/v-guard-mini...TD8EH5FCDFDSUN for my 32" tv. Not sure if this has surge protection as well?
Old 1st April 2016, 00:31   #8060
Senior - BHPian

Try APC, they surely have smallish UPS models 250VA onwards, IIRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
But such products don't seem to be available in small sizes..
Old 1st April 2016, 09:10   #8061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I finally took the plunge and went for 49LF6300 for 68.5K with 2 year LG warranty (1st year full and second year on panel).
Decided to opt for additional 2 year insurance of 4.5K extra as I've come across many instances of these new age LED panels, electronics going kaput quite untimely with high replacement costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Hello All,

I have purchased LG 43LF6300 from Croma. This was done after weeks of research. The online portals are selling it for 48k to 50k. I got it at Croma for 51.3k with 1 year additional warranty, flexi wall mount and magic remote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I am closing on 49 LF6300. Can you share your experience with black levels. How are the apps like Skype / YouTube? I am yet to visit the store to see.
Dear BHPians,

I am looking for exactly the same specifications which are -

1. FHD 49 Inches SMART LED TV
2. Either LG or Samsung

I have zeroed in on the two models/ series -

1. LG - 49LF6300
2. Samsung - Joy Smart - UA48J5300AR

A few queries, please help me out -

1. Which were the outlets you considered (online/offline) and the best price you got?
2. Did you consider Samsung Joy Smart series as it also is a FHD SMART LED and if so why did you not go for it?
3. Is additional insurance from the retailer or LG and is it required?
4. Is stabilizer required for the TV especially if one has an UPS?

I am taking the plunge this weekend so any feedback is really appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by girishglg : 1st April 2016 at 09:23.
Old 1st April 2016, 10:41   #8062
BHPian

Hello,

I cannot help on whether LG or Samsung Joy series.

I will try to help on the online vs retailer part.
When bought online, you will have to pay for installation and wall mount separately. In case of LG, the flexi wall mount itself costs 6K, and therefore becomes a costly thing if purchased later.

So in case you are buying from the store, just bargain hard and get the best deal. Since you will be spending upwards of 60K, I feel a difference of 5-6K between online and store prices should not matter. Also, I got free extended insurance with my TV from Croma.

And I am really impressed with the service provided by LG. To me, it was far superior to Samsung. The delivery, installation and demo were completed in a span of 2-3 hours while my Samsung product was delivered after I had to repeatedly follow-up.

Outlets considered:
Pai , Croma, Adishwar, LG, Reliance Digital - ORR Marathalli
Pai and Croma - Indiranagar.

Bought from Croma Indiranagar.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 1st April 2016 at 10:44.
Old 1st April 2016, 11:27   #8063
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Dear BHPians,

I am looking for exactly the same specifications which are -

1. FHD 49 Inches SMART LED TV
2. Either LG or Samsung

I have zeroed in on the two models/ series -

1. LG - 49LF6300
2. Samsung - Joy Smart - UA48J5300AR

A few queries, please help me out -

1. Which were the outlets you considered (online/offline) and the best price you got?
2. Did you consider Samsung Joy Smart series as it also is a FHD SMART LED and if so why did you not go for it?
3. Is additional insurance from the retailer or LG and is it required?
4. Is stabilizer required for the TV especially if one has an UPS?

I am taking the plunge this weekend so any feedback is really appreciated.

Thanks
girishglg, I am in the same boat as you. I have zeroed in on LG 49LF6300.

The only negative point in this TV is no Flash content support. Which means you cannot open / play videos in the TV browser. But why do we need this when Youtube app is preloaded.

Head to Devi International in Jayanagar 3rd block. The quote I got is Rs. 73,000/- with Free 2.1 channel speakers and 1 year extended warranty.
Far better pricing (you can save thousands) as compared to other white goods sales outlets.

One risk buying high discount items online is, it may have been used as a display piece (not guaranteed though). Also no extended warranty is offered.

Hope this helps.
Old 1st April 2016, 12:41   #8064
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
One risk buying high discount items online is, it may have been used as a display piece (not guaranteed though). Also no extended warranty is offered.

Hope this helps.
You can always check whether a TV is a display piece or a Brand New one.
Whoever is buying a TV whether it is bought from Store or online much check if it is used one or Brand New. These outlets do not think twice before committing a fraud!

Check out my Story HERE
Old 4th April 2016, 13:58   #8065
BHPian

In the market for 40 to 43 inch led Tv. The choices in the 40 inch segment have reduced now. My requirement are as follow

Should have wifi. Essentially a smart TV
Should be full HD or ultra hd. In fact finding it difficult to decide between the two categories

Any suggestions/ advice
Old 4th April 2016, 14:22   #8066
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
You can always check whether a TV is a display piece or a Brand New one.
Whoever is buying a TV whether it is bought from Store or online much check if it is used one or Brand New. These outlets do not think twice before committing a fraud!

Check out my Story HERE
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
In the market for 40 to 43 inch led Tv. The choices in the 40 inch segment have reduced now. My requirement are as follow

Should have wifi. Essentially a smart TV
Should be full HD or ultra hd. In fact finding it difficult to decide between the two categories

Any suggestions/ advice
Just ordered LG 43LF5900 on Amazon. Essentially same as LG 43LF6300, but without Air remote. Has all the smart features and Web OS 2.0.
And, by the way, its cheaper on Amazon than @ Devi international! Also, the TV installation (with swivel wall mount bracket) is charged extra, when bought on Amazon. No extra cost for Table top set-up.

Last edited by MCR : 4th April 2016 at 14:27. Reason: Extra Line
Old 4th April 2016, 14:22   #8067
Distinguished - BHPian

So, My LG gave up, finally. Estimates for a fix were 12k for a motherboard. I just asked the guy how much he would give me for it. He said 7, I asked for 8, and got rid of it.

That money, just for kicks, I bought an el-cheapo projector, UNIC UC40. Native resolution is 800x600, and a creative 2.1 speaker system, for about 2k.
Cost me 6k. Screen is a white wall right now, but once I get it mounted, I'll scrape off a 6x4 area, and put white putty on it.
Anyway, this thing needs to a dark room. If the lights are switched off, better.

As for the experience, its brilliant! I watched the race last night on star sports HD, and thought it doesn't have the sharpness of the LED, its extremely sufficient. The speakers placed around the recliner, and the projection happening on effectively 80+ inches. It was an occasion.
Lined up for today is deadpool.

Addon cost, 3 foot roof mount for about 2k. putty for about 100 bucks. Installer visit for the roof mount, about 500 bucks.
The Projector accepts HDMI, USB, SD card, so all well!
Old 4th April 2016, 14:29   #8068
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Thanks

Just ordered LG 43LF5900 on Amazon. Essentially same as LG 43LF6300, but without Air remote. Has all the smart features and Web OS 2.0.
And, by the way, its cheaper on Amazon than @ Devi international! Also, the TV installation (with swivel wall mount bracket) is charged extra, when bought on Amazon. No extra cost for Table top set-up.
I think you should have gone for the 6300! Initially I bought the 5900 and It was lying at my place for almost a week before I returned it to the dealer.
I later got the 6300 and I found the speakers were little better than 5900 and also the Magic remote is really nice!

Also be-aware that buying it from Amazon you do not get the Flexi Wall mount and Installation which will cost you few thousands !

Last edited by mohammedismail : 4th April 2016 at 14:34.
Old 4th April 2016, 15:20   #8069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
I think you should have gone for the 6300! Initially I bought the 5900 and It was lying at my place for almost a week before I returned it to the dealer.
I later got the 6300 and I found the speakers were little better than 5900 and also the Magic remote is really nice!

Also be-aware that buying it from Amazon you do not get the Flexi Wall mount and Installation which will cost you few thousands !
Thanks. What about the 4k model LG 43UF770T
Old 4th April 2016, 15:33   #8070
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Thanks. What about the 4k model LG 43UF770T
I don't have any idea about the 4K models since there are no 4K channels available and finding any 4K content is equally tough! I think 4K does not make sense in India yet ?

Most Viewed