Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2015, 17:39   #7951
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Need some advice guys. Please help.

Had bought a 40" AOC LED TV in August 2014 for a good deal from Reliance Digital bnm store. Paid 25K for it - and the 3 year warranty was enticing. Just a few days back, the TV stopped working and Reliance was good to raise a complaint with AOC. They have now called me to say that they no longer have this model in stock and don't have the panel either so cannot replace it. However, they offer that I visit the Reliance store and show them the bill and get a replacement new TV for around the same price. My problem is this - I am certainly not willing to shell out any money for this replacement - since I am certain I will not get an LED TV 40 incher for 25k!

Suggestions are appreciated. Will I be forced to end up buying another costlier TV shelling out more money or can I stick to my guns and force them to provide me a new TV with similar specs for free?
Old 16th November 2015, 18:40   #7952
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Suggestions are appreciated. Will I be forced to end up buying another costlier TV shelling out more money or can I stick to my guns and force them to provide me a new TV with similar specs for free?
If they don't have the same model or panels, they best they would do for you is to give you a full monetary refund.
Old 16th November 2015, 20:48   #7953
BHPian

Refund might turn out to b tricky. Higher decibel level should help. If the company is unable to live up to what is mentioned on the warranty then it is their problem. Legally they must replace your product. If they dont have it too bad but they can't force you to buy a more expensive one. If they are unable to live up to their promise then it is they who have to take the hit....
Old 16th November 2015, 20:48   #7954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If they don't have the same model or panels, they best they would do for you is to give you a full monetary refund.
There is another option that many companies do follow - they will offer you the entry level TV from the current line up. There is no guarantee that it will have all the features of your old model; but it will be a 40 incher. It is also possible that the current entry level has more features than your old model! There is no question of having to pay any extra money!

Last edited by anupmathur : 16th November 2015 at 20:50.
Old 19th November 2015, 15:30   #7955
Senior - BHPian

With other home appliances in place I wish to get a 55" LED TV now. I don't want to pay extra for a SMART TV as I'll directly plug my laptop into the TV and get a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Sound isn't an issue as I have a 2.1 system which is adequate for our bedroom.

Main objective is to watch Full HD movies on the TV and stream shows online.

Philips' 55PFL5059/V7 is one TV that looks at meeting all my requirements except it only has 2 HDMI ports and just 1 USB port. Its not really a deal breaker as I don't intend on hooking up anything except my laptop and a sound system to it but it gives me very less room to hook up any more equipment, thoughts?

Vu TVs are incredibly cheap for what all they offer so I'm a little skeptic about even considering it.

I really wanted an OLED TV (for those perfect blacks) but OLEDs are simply not in my budget. So I decided to get a large TV to enjoy my movies but having a tough time figuring out which all brands to scrutinize.
Old 19th November 2015, 18:06   #7956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowardly Lion View Post
Refund might turn out to b tricky. Higher decibel level should help. If the company is unable to live up to what is mentioned on the warranty then it is their problem. Legally they must replace your product. If they dont have it too bad but they can't force you to buy a more expensive one. If they are unable to live up to their promise then it is they who have to take the hit....
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
There is another option that many companies do follow - they will offer you the entry level TV from the current line up. There is no guarantee that it will have all the features of your old model; but it will be a 40 incher. It is also possible that the current entry level has more features than your old model! There is no question of having to pay any extra money!
Thanks for the inputs guys!

I am not a big brand guy so I settled for their own brand - with a 3 year warranty (replacement) thrown in. Satisfactory for me. They will replace the TV itself if something goes wrong. Good enough for me.
Old 20th November 2015, 06:56   #7957
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Anyone here have a Bose Solo 15 Sound Bar?
If yes, does it add a lot of value to the TV sound?
Im not a fan of surround sound with many speakers etc per se but am considering this to enhance the overall quality experience from my TV.
Old 22nd November 2015, 13:08   #7958
Senior - BHPian

My friend got one at Stockholm Arlanda for a steal. The sound quality is incredible, was totally blown away. I have a full Denon set up, else would have got one myself. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Anyone here have a Bose Solo 15 Sound Bar?
If yes, does it add a lot of value to the TV sound?
Im not a fan of surround sound with many speakers etc per se but am considering this to enhance the overall quality experience from my TV.
Old 26th November 2015, 14:33   #7959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
A big batch of us from tbhp had bought the Panasonic plasma pv80d , 42 inch in mid to late 2008, still going strong, not a single issue ever
Let's just hope nothing goes wrong with them then anytime soon.

I bought a P42U30D plasma about 3 years 6 months back. Failed to switch on one fine day two months after the three year warranty ended. Called up the service guys who take Rs 1200 to visit. Long story short, asked local service center to pick it up and repair it on my cost. The guy who came to pick it up had the audacity to offer 3k for my TV saying it won't work. Anyway got it repaired for about 11k (Two internal boards changed). We don't use the TV much in our house and so I didn't want to buy a new one for 50k or so.

Anyway, Panasonic officially didn't give any warranty on the parts by the guy told me 3 months. So, 3 months and 10 days later, I'm watching the TV, switch it off and then back on because I wanted to check a video on the Chromecast and it refused to start again. The TV has always been on a UPS so I doubt power surges are my issue. Anyway, just my luck.

The TV has been with the service guys for the last 4 weeks now and I've escalated my complaint to their President "San" and MD and everyone I could. So far, only assurance is they'll try and repair it or else go for a "commercial" solution, which means they'll give me the deprecated cost back as discount on next purchase. I've also been told by the owner of the service center, MS Electronics in Noida, that the part costs Rs 6500 and that Panasonic doesn't make it anymore and the TV can't be repaired. In the same conversation, he told me they can get it repaired "outside" for lesser amount.

Panasonic doesn't make plasma TVs anymore so I'd suggest stay away from them for TVs or for anything else. It doesn't look like the company or it's representatives are ethical in their dealings with the public

Last edited by sharninder : 26th November 2015 at 14:36. Reason: more content
Old 26th November 2015, 18:24   #7960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Let's just hope nothing goes wrong with them then anytime soon.

Panasonic doesn't make plasma TVs anymore so I'd suggest stay away from them for TVs or for anything else. It doesn't look like the company or it's representatives are ethical in their dealings with the public
Thats quite an experience man. I can only say i have been lucky with the purchase then, even if it were to conk off now I wont really feel too bad as it has completed 7 un eventful years.

Hope your saga ends on a positive note.

That said, in the race to introduce new models, the whole electronics peace of mind experience has been going to the dogs. Where are those old TVs which would go on and on for 15 - 20 years, or anything for that matter.
Sigh !!
Old 27th November 2015, 10:51   #7961
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

Quote:
That said, in the race to introduce new models, the whole electronics peace of mind experience has been going to the dogs. Where are those old TVs which would go on and on for 15 - 20 years, or anything for that matter.
Sigh !!
I agree. My TV before this was an LG CRT and I gave it away to our help who's still using it after 3 years. So 13 years for that one and going strong.

Even cars, for example. They used to last a generation and now start disintegrating in 5 years.
Old 21st December 2015, 17:24   #7962
BANNED

Bought a LG LED TV yesterday which was delivered today. I realised that the dealer has sent the Display piece itself and not a "Brand New" one. I had taken the Serial number details of the display TV that's how I realized that the TV which is delivered to me is a display piece.

I have asked for replacement..But Is there any way to detect if it's a Display/Used TV or a Brand new one ?
Old 21st December 2015, 18:43   #7963
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
I have asked for replacement..But Is there any way to detect if it's a Display/Used TV or a Brand new one ?
The Panasonic Plasmas have a menu that can be activated with a "special" key combination and there is an option to display the number of hours the TV has been running and even the number of times it has been switched on, not sure if the LG has something similar, do look up in online forums.
Old 21st December 2015, 22:28   #7964
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The Panasonic Plasmas have a menu that can be activated with a "special" key combination and there is an option to display the number of hours the TV has been running and even the number of times it has been switched on, not sure if the LG has something similar, do look up in online forums.
Thanks for the information..Checked out few forums and found way to check the No of hours and Total Power on time of the TV is 212 hours !!!!
Old 22nd December 2015, 14:55   #7965
Senior - BHPian

Our First Samsung, a 27 inch LCD, has lasted 8 years though these days we use it rarely and prefer the bigger one. The picture quality is the same as when we bought it, speaks of the quality back then. But it was also 5 times more expensive when compared to this day.

Quote:
Thats quite an experience man. I can only say i have been lucky with the purchase then, even if it were to conk off now I wont really feel too bad as it has completed 7 un eventful years.

Sigh !!

Most Viewed