Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2015, 08:07   #7816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm View Post
Today my old sony 29" crt went kaput. I am in a dilemma which one to buy. There are good offers on plasma, but wondering whether to buy that or go for the LED. Kindly suggest if anyone is an expert in this area of gadgets.

Plasma is a definite no if you are placing the TV in an area where there are a lot of windows or lights . The plasma screen is like glass/mirror and will reflect any light. All you will see is light. Led will be a better option. TV's will normally last atleast 8 years. So buy the latest one with all practical features. You will future proof yourself for at least 5 years.
Old 7th July 2015, 10:44   #7817
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Sale Price Almost Double the Import Cost ?

Hi,

Was browsing along to get info on the purchase of Sony 50W900B LED TV.

Average sale price on the product is around 1 Lakh.

But surprised to see that the import cost of the tv is only around INR 53000.

Saw a "huge" difference between the import cost and the sale price.

Do the cost change that much for the end user, even factoring in the transport cost, real estate costs, dealer margins ?

Ref : https://www.zauba.com/import-sony-kd...b-hs-code.html
Old 7th July 2015, 11:41   #7818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Sale Price Almost Double the Import Cost ?

Hi,

Was browsing along to get info on the purchase of Sony 50W900B LED TV.

Average sale price on the product is around 1 Lakh.

But surprised to see that the import cost of the tv is only around INR 53000.

Saw a "huge" difference between the import cost and the sale price.

Do the cost change that much for the end user, even factoring in the transport cost, real estate costs, dealer margins ?

Ref : https://www.zauba.com/import-sony-kd...b-hs-code.html
What you see on that site is the declared value of goods, and that is normally inter company transfer price. To get a realistic view of prices, check the online prices in Dubai, Hong Kong or US.
Old 7th July 2015, 13:23   #7819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do the cost change that much for the end user, even factoring in the transport cost, real estate costs, dealer margins ? .....
More than any of these it is government taxes and customs duties etc. that jack up the price. And, unfortunately, in our country, every company/dealer has to keep an 'unknown' margin for the payments to be made on account of the 'corruption index' of this great nation!
Old 7th July 2015, 18:08   #7820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sale Price Almost Double the Import Cost ? ...
Yes, the import pricing you see is true. Local Taxes, a small bit of "Government Fees" & the cost of overheads as you mentioned are considered additional.

Apart from the above cost of items, AFAIK the importing company pays a certain amount to the Indian branch of the Brand so as to provide warranty support for the units sold here.

As usual, the only key thing there is that the business is taking abit of responsibility and a certain amount of calculated risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
More than any of these it is government taxes and customs duties etc. that jack up the price. And, unfortunately, in our country, every company/dealer has to keep an 'unknown' margin for the payments to be made on account of the 'corruption index' of this great nation!
The customs duty is Rs.26/-. As per the same website where import price was mentioned. Link

Local Taxes may include VAT & maybe Octroi in Maharashtra & Gujarat.

Anyway.
Old 7th July 2015, 20:33   #7821
BHPian

Need Help on LED TV recommendations.
In-laws need a new TV, viewing distance is about 12 feet.
Size should be around 48in - 50in.
Budget: INR ~ 1 Lakhs.
Preference is for 'Curved' TV.
Old 7th July 2015, 21:02   #7822
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The customs duty is Rs.26/-. As per the same website where import price was mentioned. Link
This is in percentage - 26 % , add 20-30 % Manufacturer margin , 10-15 % Dealer margin & 12 -14 % VAT & do factor some discounts that we all haggle
Old 7th July 2015, 22:21   #7823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
This is in percentage - 26 % , add 20-30 % Manufacturer margin , 10-15 % Dealer margin & 12 -14 % VAT & do factor some discounts that we all haggle
OMG! (Thanks but) Are you sure!?

If true, I'll have to fact check with a friend on his earlier inputs :P
Old 26th July 2015, 21:20   #7824
BHPian

How is the LG 42UB820T UHD.Planning to get one,will be using it also as a second display for the PC.Price around 67k
Old 27th July 2015, 13:54   #7825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
OMG! (Thanks but) Are you sure!?

If true, I'll have to fact check with a friend on his earlier inputs :P
Of course, Turbanator is correct.

How can customs department charge only Rs. 26 on a TV which is going to sold for 1-1.5 lac?

Acche din?
Old 27th July 2015, 17:16   #7826
BHPian

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new 55" tv for the living room. Mainly to be used for movies and sports( no 3d usage). I plan to keep it for 4-5 years. Is it worth buying a 4k tv given the usage horizon? Also what would be the preferred brand amongst LG/Samsung/Sony?

Thanks
Aravind
Old 27th July 2015, 19:10   #7827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindrn View Post
Hi,

I am looking to buy a new 55" tv for the living room. Mainly to be used for movies and sports( no 3d usage). I plan to keep it for 4-5 years. Is it worth buying a 4k tv given the usage horizon? Also what would be the preferred brand amongst LG/Samsung/Sony?

Thanks
Aravind
I think the 4K TV is the future, as DTH operators have started broadcasting 4K content. Abroad, sports was the first to start 4K, so you may expect major sports broadcasts in 4K soon.

I have LG 47" TV and 3 LG HD monitors. All of them have never given any problem. What I find is
. 3D TV is not worth it
. TV with extra gizomos - Net connectivity, lots of USB etc is not worth the extra cost.

What we have done is to install an external Denon controller, which selects the source and does Surround Sound decoding much better than the TV. The cost was nearly same as the premium for the extra features.

For HDD access we have O-Play box which is much more versatile than most of the TV's.
Old 28th July 2015, 11:32   #7828
Senior - BHPian

Yday while browsing through CROMA, I was given demo of Sony ANDROID FHD TV (48") retailing at about 1,29000/-.
I am actually looking for UHD TV's of Sony & Samsung which also retail at exactly same price.
As per the demo guy, there is no difference in picture quality of FHD & UHD & he also mentioned that no DTH provides UHD quality yet.

If am not wrong, I can nevertheless use CHROMECAST to convert my SMART TV to ANDROID TV so does it make sense buying ANDROID TV?
The features of ANDROID TV are worth a dekko but what are the merits of buying such TV?

Regards-Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 28th July 2015 at 11:33.
Old 28th July 2015, 11:35   #7829
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Yday while browsing through CROMA, I was given demo of Sony ANDROID FHD TV (48") retailing at about 1,29000/-.
I am actually looking for UHD TV's of Sony & Samsung which also retail at exactly same price.
As per the demo guy, there is no difference in picture quality of FHD & UHD & he also mentioned that no DTH provides UHD quality yet.

If am not wrong, I can nevertheless use CHROMECAST to convert my SMART TV to ANDROID TV so does it make sense buying ANDROID TV?
The features of ANDROID TV are worth a dekko but what are the merits of buying such TV?

Regards-Sonu
Think of it this way. Your tv will be obsolete within a year. However with a dumb tv you can keep upgrading hdmi dongles like chromecast for a fraction of the price!
Old 31st July 2015, 14:39   #7830
BHPian

suggestions please....

require one 42 inch or above for the home theater and one 32 inch for dad's room. budget for both is 1 lakh together.

earlier there was no confusion regarding the brand, it had to be sony, but now reading some of the views expressed here, am totally confused now. it has to be lg, panasonic, philips or sony (samsung and other brands are a strict no no for dad, dont ask me the reason, i dont know, he simply doesnt like them)

we have now a panasonic TH-P42 plasma, but about 7 cms in its right side is now 'dark matter', hence need to change it. so help

Most Viewed