Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2015, 21:26   #7771
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

I've gone through innumerable reviews and visited almost every TV manufacturer's website but one question is still unanswered. Why is that Philips & Videocon are able to retail 50-55" TVs for about 50-55k while this big a TV doesn't sell for anything less than 80-90k for any other major league manufacturer?

What should be the biggest unsettling factor for somebody buying a Philips or Videocon today?

I'm looking for a 50" LED myself, doesn't have to be a SMART TV but Full HD definitely. I'm assuming a Full HD LED with 1 or 2 HDMI and 2 USB port should be sufficient for watching movies and maybe occasionally playing computer games (through laptop) also. For making it SMART, I'll just hook it up to my laptop or tablet with wireless mouse/keyboard. Does the plan sound ok?
Old 4th May 2015, 06:58   #7772
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I'm looking for a 50" LED myself, doesn't have to be a SMART TV but Full HD definitely. I'm assuming a Full HD LED with 1 or 2 HDMI and 2 USB port should be sufficient for watching movies and maybe occasionally playing computer games (through laptop) also. For making it SMART, I'll just hook it up to my laptop or tablet with wireless mouse/keyboard. Does the plan sound ok?
I also wanted a basic Full HD panel and recently bought a Panasonic 50" unit (TH50A410S) here in Singapore. The price was around SGD 950 (INR 45K approx.) and pretty happy with the purchase (only negative being it got only 2 HDMI slots). For online content we use Apple TV and hence did not look at the Smart TV options. I guess this will not be that expensive in India as well.

TH50AS610S with built-in apps, WiFi etc. would be another decent option; here it was going for SGD 1100 (INR 52K approx.)

EDIT: FlipKart links for the above models

http://www.flipkart.com/panasonic-th...24582&srno=b_2
http://www.flipkart.com/panasonic-th...24582&srno=b_3

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th May 2015 at 07:01.
Old 4th May 2015, 08:02   #7773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I've gone through innumerable reviews and visited almost every TV manufacturer's website but one question is still unanswered. Why is that Philips & Videocon are able to retail 50-55" TVs for about 50-55k while this big a TV doesn't sell for anything less than 80-90k for any other major league manufacturer?

What should be the biggest unsettling factor for somebody buying a Philips or Videocon today?
The major reason for the inflated price of the Tier-1 manufacturer is costs incurred by them outside of the manufacturing process. The cost of heavy marketing is the primary reason and also setting up a number of retail and service outlets across the country cost them money. So, they recover these costs by cashing in on the brand value and their perceived quality.

The biggest unsettling factor could be the lack of service availability of Videocon TVs as IIRC, they source their displays from Samsung or LG itself.

Also, I didn't know Philips still makes TVs, AFAIK they exited the consumer electronics business a couple of years ago.

Quote:
I'd suggest looking at the Micromax TVs that are available on Flipkart if you don't care about the brand. 50' 4K TV for 50k is a pretty good deal IMO

I had also connected my desktop to my Sony TV earlier but after some time, a black line started to appear on my TV. So, I called up Sony service center and the technician said the processor/logic board had got damaged. He said that it was due to power spikes and recommended that I should not use the TV as a desktop screen.
I searched online, and some other reviewers also discouraged this kind of use for a long time.
Old 4th May 2015, 18:02   #7774
BHPian

Finally took the plunge and replaced TV sets at home (11 year old Sony CRT and 8 year old Panasonic LCD) with Sony 55" W950 and 42" W700B.

Damage to the wallet: Rs. 2.04L which includes extended warranty and buyback of CRT.
Old 4th May 2015, 22:54   #7775

I am facing an inverted color issue with my Sony Bravia LCD TV. Can any one help me diagnose what the possible cause could be? Is it with the main board or the panel?

Basically the issue is that the image color gets inverted for some colors, esp. black and blue.

Below are some quick pictures I snapped of the TV

Sorry if this is not the right thread for these kind of questions. Requesting mod to move it to an appropriate thread.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-20150504_222822.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-20150504_222909.jpg  

Old 4th May 2015, 23:33   #7776
BHPian

Happened to my uncles Sony 32 lcd a few months back. He got the board changed for 8k from a known technician. It fixed the issue but there is an occasional flicker now and then.
Old 5th May 2015, 12:32   #7777
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the colours are over saturating (and leaking into adjacent pixels). Try reducing contrast and brightness. If it solves the problem, well and good, else it is an MB problem.
Old 5th May 2015, 16:43   #7778
BHPian

Looking for a cheap 32 inch LED . Have shortlisted the following options:

1. Micromax HD ready for around 15k
2. Philips HD ready for 18K
3. Panasonic and Toshiba HD ready for 17K
4. Sky Hi 32 inch Smart LED for 20K(has anyone even heard of it?)
5. Croma 42 inch LED for 19K(too good to be true, need to check it out)
http://www.cromaretail.com/Croma-CRE...14928-739.aspx

Requirements:
as a second TV , need preferably 2 HDMI ports , full HD would be nice to have. USB playback for HD content(should play most video formats) and support 1 TB HDD

Is there a full HD LED below 20K?
Old 8th May 2015, 13:45   #7779
BHPian

Lg 42lb550a

LG 42LB550A available at 34500 at amazon(after cachback),is it good deal,anyone have same model ?

Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 20:26   #7780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Looking for a cheap 32 inch LED . Have shortlisted the following options:

1. Micromax HD ready for around 15k
2. Philips HD ready for 18K
3. Panasonic and Toshiba HD ready for 17K
4. Sky Hi 32 inch Smart LED for 20K(has anyone even heard of it?)
5. Croma 42 inch LED for 19K(too good to be true, need to check it out)
http://www.cromaretail.com/Croma-CRE...14928-739.aspx

Requirements:
as a second TV , need preferably 2 HDMI ports , full HD would be nice to have. USB playback for HD content(should play most video formats) and support 1 TB HDD

Is there a full HD LED below 20K?
The croma tvs having that mouth watering offers are the actual display units from their showrooms. Nevertheless, 42inch led for 19k is excellent steal.
Old 15th May 2015, 15:01   #7781
BHPian

Should we be concerned about this aspect

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/47289883.cms
Old 15th May 2015, 21:34   #7782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post

I'd say we need a PIL about this. Currently there is no clarity about this. There is no justification for a manufacturer to deny warranty on a product made by them. And it ought not to depend on whether or not you have the origianl sales invoice and/or the original packaging!
The only pertinent issue is whether they did in fact manufacture it, or are they claiming that it is a fake.
Old 17th May 2015, 17:29   #7783
BHPian

Avoid buying products online

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post

Bought a LG TV in recent amazon summer sale, installation and wall bracket is chargeable(total around 4.5k) , also they are charging extra on extended warranty too.

while 3 year extended warrnaty costs around 6k in store for 42" TV, for online purchases its more than 13k.so almost double.

even its mentioned repair within warranty period will also be chargeable.

so what a total nonsense, amazon refused to help also failed to answer why info is not mentioned on their products page.

Lokesh
Old 21st May 2015, 15:39   #7784
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Does anyone in this forum have any idea when MiTV 2 is plaaned to be launched by Xiaomi in India? From the specs it looks impressive and from the prices, it is a STEAL

Imagine full HD 40 inch smart TV having 1.5 GB of RAM and 8 GB of ROM (expandable to 64 GB) running android 4.4 out of the box! at 19K
Old 22nd May 2015, 21:57   #7785
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Hi Guys,

Does anyone in this forum have any idea when MiTV 2 is plaaned to be launched by Xiaomi in India?
Going by miui official forum it doesn't look like it would be launched this year.

Most Viewed