Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:20   #7921
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Which is this TV model?
W700C Series ; model # KDL-48W700C , we got it for 71k + a digi cam worth 6999 free + 2 yr extended warranty for Rs.3500. We had almost decided to buy the same model mentioned by you , however bought this one since it can access internet and also due to x reality pro chip + higher refresh rate which made difference in pic quality .

Last edited by rm_arjuna : 2nd November 2015 at 16:26. Reason: added more content
Old 2nd November 2015, 23:48   #7922
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
W700C Series ; model # KDL-48W700C , we got it for 71k + a digi cam worth 6999 free + 2 yr extended warranty for Rs.3500.
That's a very good price. This piece is 79K in Bangalore, in multiple shops I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
and also due to x reality pro chip + higher refresh rate which made difference in pic quality .
This refesh rate caught my interest since it was also mentioned to me by the sales guy. So I looked up to understand it better. Found it to be a fake number.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-chrome-legacy-window-1122015-114445-pm.bmp.jpg

Source
Old 3rd November 2015, 20:24   #7923
Senior - BHPian

Guys need help. I am in the market looking for a LED TV with smart features. Prince range between 50 to 60K.

I found this Hitachi and getting it for 54K. Is this worth it?

http://www.cromaretail.com/Hitachi-L...26716-739.aspx

I dont mind any brand as its my 4th TV in my house so please suggest. I would like to pick up TV from store rather than buying online.
Old 3rd November 2015, 21:10   #7924
Team-BHP Support

Why nobody is buying Plasma anymore? They are better and cheaper than the LED TVs, aren't they? The LED wins only in brightness.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/lcd-v...icture-quality

Edit: Ok, they are officially dead.

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd November 2015 at 21:12.
Old 4th November 2015, 11:12   #7925
BHPian

Quote:

This refesh rate caught my interest since it was also mentioned to me by the sales guy. So I looked up to understand it better. Found it to be a fake number

Source
That's a good piece of information.

I'm looking at Sony Bravia KD-X8500C, which has only about refresh rate is only 200 for the Non 3D Model & 800 for the 3D Model. I'm not considering the 55 inch Model, so 3D is ruled out.

As per the table, If the refresh rate is 200, then the actual is only 50. This is a 4K TV and don't you think it'll affect the performance ?

I read on another Website that Sony has confirmed that all it's 4K TV's come with Refresh rate of 120.
Old 4th November 2015, 12:11   #7926
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
As per the table, If the refresh rate is 200, then the actual is only 50. This is a 4K TV and don't you think it'll affect the performance ?
This TV specs says Motionflow XR 800, which means 200Hz, while Motionflow XR 200 is 50Hz. 200Hz is their highest refresh rate. Marketing jargon is created mainly to show some differentiation even when there isn't any. So don't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
I read on another Website that Sony has confirmed that all it's 4K TV's come with Refresh rate of 120.
This is for their US models. Look at the link I provided in post#7922. It is the first table.
Old 4th November 2015, 14:17   #7927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why nobody is buying Plasma anymore? They are better and cheaper than the LED TVs, aren't they? The LED wins only in brightness.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/lcd-v...icture-quality

Edit: Ok, they are officially dead.
Yea, no one is manufacturing them anymore.

I knew this would happen and hence when we bought a new TV in 2012, i ensured that it was a Panasonic Plasma - 42UT50D(That was the max we could afford back then. Wanted to go for ST series). After 3 years, i still feel that was the best decision i made and i absolutely love the original color reproduction and the blacks when watching HD content.

Plasma took the backseat mainly because of lack of awareness and the perceived better quality of the overtly bright LED display which blew the Plasma's out of water. Customers wanted that rich , in your face images and manufacturers gave what they wanted and plasmas died!

Only when OLED displays become mainstream, we can say the the replacement of Plasma for TV enthusiasts has arrived!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 4th November 2015 at 14:40.
Old 4th November 2015, 15:04   #7928
BHPian

Sadly Panasonic never released ST series. I waited for the same for almost a year before going with LED. would still pick up an equivalent plasma if the same was made available today. Thin profile, low electricity usage... yada yada yada. Picture quality - OK... and thats it. What about the ability to render black, fast motion rendering....huh..?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th November 2015 at 16:58. Reason: Post edited. Please avoid posting in other scripts.
Old 4th November 2015, 16:40   #7929
Senior - BHPian

I lugged a Panasonic plasma from Dubai, I think its the same series you have, five years back. The colour reproduction is really good but it draws so much power that the UPS doesnt support it. so will be replacing it soon with an energy efficient model. It's in mint condition, though.

I knew this would happen and hence when we bought a new TV in 2012, i ensured that it was a Panasonic Plasma - 42UT50D(That was the max we could afford back then. Wanted to go for ST series). After 3 years, i still feel that was the best decision i made and i absolutely love the original color reproduction and the blacks when watching HD content.
Old 4th November 2015, 16:45   #7930
NH6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowardly Lion View Post
Sadly Panasonic never released ST series. I waited for the same for almost a year before going with LED. would still pick up an equivalent plasma if the same was made available today.
Thin profile, low electricity usage... yada yada yada. Picture quality - OK... and thats it. What about the ability to render black, fast motion rendering....huh..?
I agree. I took a 42 GT50D in 2012, which went bad in mid 2014. Thin horizontal line issue barely visible to a layman. Searched every nook and corner for plasma TV, and then settled down with 50 AS670D at INR80K. Again Panasonic. Current crop or market produce is average and nowhere near the plasma picture quality.

I think we have to endure and wait for a couple of years more.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th November 2015 at 16:58. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 4th November 2015, 20:12   #7931
Senior - BHPian

Hi, are Panasonic Plasma tvs still available in Dubai? Especially in 42" 46" sizes.

If yes, could you share the store name etc. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I lugged a Panasonic plasma from Dubai
Old 5th November 2015, 17:34   #7932
Senior - BHPian

No way! Dubai is far ahead when it comes to clearing old tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi, are Panasonic Plasma tvs still available in Dubai? Especially in 42" 46" sizes.

If yes, could you share the store name etc. Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 10:18   #7933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowardly Lion View Post
Sadly Panasonic never released ST series. I waited for the same for almost a year before going with LED. would still pick up an equivalent plasma if the same was made available today. Thin profile, low electricity usage... yada yada yada. Picture quality - OK... and thats it. What about the ability to render black, fast motion rendering....huh..?
Panasonic did release the ST series. I remember seeing and comparing UT,ST,GT series at Devi International in Bangalore.
Old 6th November 2015, 11:23   #7934
Senior - BHPian

Ok so finally went with videocon Led 55" for 54k with 5 year warranty. Looked like a good deal to me as had compared many tv's in and around 50".
First impressions: looks nice and bright but the sound quality is weak compared to my older samsung 47" Lcd. Bass is totally missing from this. Thank god i have my home theater linked with it so tv sound does not bother me that much.
Old 6th November 2015, 12:11   #7935
BHPian

54k for 55" and 5 yr warranty sounds like a good deal. For a TV this size built in speakers will never measure up. For the experience to be complete a Home theatre is a must. I just hope that your receiver is HDMI ready... mine wasn't..😢

Most Viewed