Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2013, 13:03   #7171
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

- BD players mostly vary on playback speed. The Pana and Samsung BD players are pretty much high standard and they do the job exactly as you want. I will be leaning towards Samsung and definitely avoid Sony. Sony players in my experience will end up not playing most of the formats post a point or even to start with.

I bought my Sony BD player around 2 years back. I was really happy with this until a while ago. The player did an online firmware upgrade and since then it doesn't play any MKV formats (it used to play the same files just fine before). Now all the 1080p 5.1 MKV's are just sitting ducks. Need to buy a media player now just to compensate for this stupid firmware upgrade
Old 30th December 2013, 13:04   #7172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
My peanuts of suggestions
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
What is your viewing distance for the TV?

Agree with VW on HT, build one slowly. Get a good basic amp from Yamaha and front speaker, then get a center, then surround, then woofer. this will make you happy for long. Dont hurry and get a HTiB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka46 View Post
@murillo, Do check out the Sony range of TV's with the trilluminous display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
My 2 cents.
1 & 2) I would not choose either of the shortlisted ones.
- Why 5000 series of Samsung. Try to pick either from 7000 series or 8000 series. 6000 series has 120 Hz.
- One should remember that the 5000 series still is on 60 Hz. You would need anything around 240 Hz. As you are saying for Home theater. As you are planning for 40+ inches.
Follow up to my previous posts above:

I was checking for Panasonic e6d models; however, it is not available at most of the dealers in Chennai. They have only display pieces, but say no stock is available as Pana is not supplying them. One sales person at Reliance Digital said Pana has closed their service centre at Mount Road. Then I went to the Pana brand shop at Anna Nagar East only to find it has been shut down. So I went to their showroom at T.Nagar. Even they did not have any e6d models. The sales girl said they can get a 42e6d if needed (price 65k, offer price 63k).

I am veering towards Sony 46W700A vis-a-vis Samsung UA46F6100. Reliance Digital price for 46W700A is Rs. 86,900. I am going to check around the prices for 46W700A today.

Any comments comparing W700A and F6100? Anyone knows what are best prices for W700A at the dealers in Chennai?

Thanks and regards,
murillo.
Old 30th December 2013, 13:31   #7173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post

Follow up to my previous posts above

Any comments comparing W700A and F6100? Anyone knows what are best prices for W700A at the dealers in Chennai?

Thanks and regards,
murillo.
Speak to Vaibhav of J d electronic, he gave an offer of 57k for hifivision members for e6. If you have any difficulty in reaching him pm me
Old 30th December 2013, 14:22   #7174
gemi_kk

Quote:

Did you try checking on Ebay.in?

If not, do it. I am pretty sure that you would get to know the best price. Buying or not buying from Ebay is up to you. But you would definitely get an idea on the products pricing.

Also, look for those ads, which mention "Bill + Warranty" Ignore those which say, shop's warranty.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 30th December 2013 at 14:28. Reason: Changing statement.

Old 30th December 2013, 17:52   #7175
KRN
BHPian

Need help finalizing - Budget: 35K

I am looking to buy a Plasma (42") or LED TV (32") in the next 1-2 days and need some urgent help in finalizing.

Budget: upto Rs. 35k.
Purpose: Will be used in bedroom (viewing distance: 9-10 ft). Watching movies from external HDD, YouTube via Chromecast, PS3 and some HD cable
Priorities: Ability to play wide variety of video formats, good reliability, ability to hook up receiver/speakers later, decent refresh rate

Visited a few showrooms and shortlisted the following models within my budget. Am I missing any other good options? Please help me finalize.

Plasma:
1. LG42PN4500 – 42inches - Rs. 35,500. Has only 1 HDMI input, not impressed with picture resolution, sharpness & brightness next to the LEDs (though sales person was confident that brightness and sharpness will be better in home lighting)
2. Samsung Plasma - Ruled out as it was not even 720P resolution

LED

1. Samsung F4100 – Rs. 30,500 – I feel that this fits my needs with 2 HDMI ports, decent refresh rate, support for most video formats and has digital audio out too
2. LG 32LN4900– Rs.25,000 – I was surprised by the low price. I am not sure if this model can play all popular video formats and also lacks digital audio out (can I connect a home theatre later?)

The LG seems most value for money, but not sure if it meets all my requirements. I don't want to buy the plasma unless it is going to be really superior (also put off by lack of enough HDMI ports)

Any quick help finalizing will be appreciated as these prices are part of new year sale!
Old 30th December 2013, 19:36   #7176
BHPian

Quote:

I was checking for Panasonic e6d models; however, it is not available at most of the dealers in Chennai. They have only display pieces, but say no stock is available as Pana is not supplying them. One sales person at Reliance Digital said Pana has closed their service centre at Mount Road. Then I went to the Pana brand shop at Anna Nagar East only to find it has been shut down. So I went to their showroom at T.Nagar. Even they did not have any e6d models. The sales girl said they can get a 42e6d if needed (price 65k, offer price 63k).

I am veering towards Sony 46W700A vis-a-vis Samsung UA46F6100. Reliance Digital price for 46W700A is Rs. 86,900. I am going to check around the prices for 46W700A today.

Thanks and regards,
murillo.
Do check out http://www.sony.co.in/product/kdl-42w850a

Snapdeal and shopclues have very interesting offers going on and their pricing is very competitive and there's a huge difference when compared to showroom pricing.
Old 30th December 2013, 22:19   #7177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Speak to Vaibhav of J d electronic, he gave an offer of 57k for hifivision members for e6. If you have any difficulty in reaching him pm me
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Did you try checking on Ebay.in?

If not, do it. I am pretty sure that you would get to know the best price. Buying or not buying from Ebay is up to you. But you would definitely get an idea on the products pricing.

Also, look for those ads, which mention "Bill + Warranty" Ignore those which say, shop's warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka46 View Post
Do check out http://www.sony.co.in/product/kdl-42w850a

Snapdeal and shopclues have very interesting offers going on and their pricing is very competitive and there's a huge difference when compared to showroom pricing.
Thanks everyone for your help.

@kaka46: w850a looks good - it is a 42 incher and 3D. However, I am looking at non-3D with bigger screen. Hence, zeroing in on 46W700A.

@gemi_kk: thanks. I checked on the ebay site. Very informative.

@madbullram: thanks. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I did check for e6d series. However, it is neither available at the Pana brand shop nor at any of the dealers. They are all saying there is no supply. In my price range, they showed B6D and EM6D; however, they looked barebones to me and anyway I did not have much idea about them.

Today evening, I ventured out to many dealers for checking out 46W700A and 46F6100. To my surprise, none of the showrooms had 6100 on display. One sales rep told me 6100 production has been stopped. Another said it is a failure model and is stopped and that the equivalent product is F6400. All in all, F6100 is neither on display nor in stock. W700A model is available at all the dealers, both on display and in stock. I assume it is a successful model and moving well.

W700 is listed at Rs. 91,900 in Sony web site. All the dealers are quoting a price of Rs. 86,900. When asked about what offer they can give, most of them are not forthcoming, saying they will check on that if I can confirm the purchase. All places are offering a Sony headphone as gift and they say it costs Rs. 12,000/-.

Finally, for Sony 46W700A, the best offer I am getting is at Rs. 79,500/-, with Sony headphone as gift, free home delivery and free installation. I am going to pay full cash for this. Is the above a reasonably good offer and can I go for it? I will be purchasing on Jan 1.

Thanks and regards,
murillo.
Old 30th December 2013, 22:54   #7178
BHPian

Quote:

@madbullram: thanks. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I did check for e6d series. However, it is neither available at the Pana brand shop nor at any of the dealers. They are all saying there is no supply. In my price range, they showed B6D and EM6D; however, they looked barebones to me and anyway I did not have much idea about them.

Thanks and regards,
murillo.
Did you even talk to Vaibhav? Take my advice and talk to Vaibhav of J D electronics, he is getting them in a week and also we have buying from him for long time now, so very trust worthy guy.
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:30   #7179
BHPian

Planning to buy a new 32" LED TV for the bedroom. I have shortlisted the following three TVs

1. Panasonic 32e6d - Getting it for 34k
2. Samsung 32F5500 - Getting it for 41.5k in brick and mortar stores and 37.4k online
3. Sony W670A - Getting it for 41.9k

Looking at the prices, I am thinking of buying the Panasonic. Please provide your opinion. Which one should I go for?
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:15   #7180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Planning to buy a new 32" LED TV for the bedroom. I have shortlisted the following three TVs

2. Samsung 32F5500 - Getting it for 41.5k in brick and mortar stores and 37.4k online

Looking at the prices, I am thinking of buying the Panasonic. Please provide your opinion. Which one should I go for?
Own a Samsung 32F5500 for a month now. Purchased for bedroom.
+ ves
1. Plays almost all the movie formats you throw at.
2. Sound from the inbuilt speakers are very good.
3. Connects flawlessly to my local wifi automatically everytime i switch on
4. Syncs up nicely through allshare cast to my SG S3.
5. Youtube app comes very handy for missed tv programs. On screen keyboard is very easy to use and intuitive.

-ves
1. TV remote is difficult to operate in dark as they dont have that glowing type buttons. So i use the remote app in my smartphone.
2. Smarttv Apps are less. Have tried few. BBC app is good apart from youtube app.
3. Smarttv app section has few games as well, but its difficult to play using the remote as there is some lag. Same is the case for games played using smartphone and projected on TV wirelessly using allshare cast. There is some lag which kills the experience.

Last edited by pisthpeeps : 23rd January 2014 at 19:16.
Old 27th January 2014, 16:41   #7181
BHPian

Guys, I'm in the market for a 40 inch TV. I have only two requirements:-
1. I have a Samsung 3D Smart TV and everytime when watching Cricket or Football, when the ball is moving fast there's some lag. I don't want that.
2. Need as many HDMI inputs as possible.
Old 27th January 2014, 18:40   #7182
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveArc View Post
Guys, I'm in the market for a 40 inch TV. I have only two requirements:- 1. I have a Samsung 3D Smart TV and everytime when watching Cricket or Football, when the ball is moving fast there's some lag. I don't want that. 2. Need as many HDMI inputs as possible.
Try the Samsung 2d Smart Tv. I have one and have had no problems so far.
Old 29th January 2014, 23:02   #7183
BANNED

LG 55in 4K UHD television has been introduced in kerala market. I had gone for a demo yesterday. The price after discount comes to around inr 292000/-.The salesperson connected a USB drive and played some film clips. I wasn't impressed with what I saw. Blacks were greyish and there were some artifacts on the screen.But when they demoed the 4k clippings it was great. Now I am having second thoughts about my plans for the purchase of this television at this price.
Regards
Dilip
Old 10th February 2014, 13:08   #7184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post

Hi Woof, did you buy the TV yet? I am in the same boat and have short-listed the same models, so would like to know which one did you go for?

--Anoop
Old 10th February 2014, 13:38   #7185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Hi Woof, did you buy the TV yet? I am in the same boat and have short-listed the same models, so would like to know which one did you go for?

--Anoop
I bought the panasonic TV. And, I am very happy with it so far. Let me know if you need any specific info.

Most Viewed