Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2014, 17:37   #7231
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Guys, does anyone have any idea about SAMSUNG 40" 40F5500 FULL HD SMART LED TV ? looking for a cheap smart 40" LED TV for bedroom and this is what i could get.
This TV had good reviews last year, and if you bargain hard, may get it around 58k in Bangalore.

I did a brief demo of 40F5500 side-by-side with Sony W700. On the HD channel feed of Tata sky, the clarity/sharpness looked better on Samsung. But the colors were better on Sony. Personally I don't like Samsung LED colors, too vibrant for me. Once that was reduced, the picture looked ok.

I was mainly interested in the Sony W700, but found the default TV HD channel feed, where the skins were all smudged up with no sharpness, very bad.

I myself is still on the lookout, and would checkout using personal HD videos.
Old 12th March 2014, 18:04   #7232
BHPian

Hi All,
I need some feedback on LG 42LN5400 USB video capability. I find some amazon reviews mentioning that the model is not capable of playing videos from USB. Can somebody confirm? I don't find video formats mentioned on their site too so I am not very sure.
I almost zeroed in on it but this is holding me back.

Can anyone let me know if there are any other brand with IPS panel in the market for a 40/42 inch LED? Till now I've found only Panasonic L40B6DX to have IPS apart from LG (though all online stores only have L40B6D which is not listed by panasonic on their site which is again confusing).

Last edited by pacman2881 : 12th March 2014 at 18:32.
Old 12th March 2014, 19:07   #7233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Can anyone let me know if there are any other brand with IPS panel in the market for a 40/42 inch LED? Till now I've found only Panasonic L40B6DX to have IPS apart from LG ....
Sony's 2013 range of W series 42" TVs have an IPS panel. In fact the panels are reportedly supplied by LG.
Till last year Sony did not have 42" size and their 40" panels were not IPS.
Old 12th March 2014, 19:15   #7234
BANNED

About the sharpness and color ,what you need to know is that every display needs to be calibrated.
The ones that you see in a shop environment are exaggerated in terms of color "pop".
Once they're calibrated they look better.
For that you need to check online reviews of good sources.
Don't judge a TV by its performance in a shop.
Old 13th March 2014, 11:10   #7235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Sony's 2013 range of W series 42" TVs have an IPS panel. In fact the panels are reportedly supplied by LG.
Till last year Sony did not have 42" size and their 40" panels were not IPS.
This is not correct. 2013 Sony W6/7 series 42 inches all have VA-type panels sourced from AUO. Any professional review site can be referred to for confirmation.

This is the reason of having very good blacks in this price range.

W8xx/W9xx, however, are all IPS panels.
Old 13th March 2014, 13:27   #7236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
This is not correct. 2013 Sony W6/7 series 42 inches all have VA-type panels sourced from AUO. Any professional review site can be referred to for confirmation.

This is the reason of having very good blacks in this price range.

W8xx/W9xx, however, are all IPS panels.
Hmm, sorry for the generalization.
I bought the 42W800A last year and I know for certain that it has an IPS panel.
I'm not too sure about the W7 series. I'm almost certain they also have IPS panels.
Old 13th March 2014, 13:41   #7237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
I need some feedback on LG 42LN5400 USB video capability. I find some amazon reviews mentioning that the model is not capable of playing videos from USB. Can somebody confirm?
I have this model and it plays video files without any issues from a USB drive.

I have connected an ASUS Media Player to the TV and to my home theater using a 1.0 TB portable drive and it works fine. I have also connected the drive and a smaller 2GB pen drive directly and it works fine.

I tested this out at the store before buying to compare the picture quality across models. Most stores play movies on these units today using pen drives only.

So in a nutshell, don't worry about not being able to watch movies through a portable drive on this TV. It works flawlessly.
Old 16th March 2014, 20:00   #7238
BHPian

Guys I checked out a Toshiba 39 inch LED TV in Snapdeal and Pai International in Bangalore. I am getting it for about 7K less in Snapdeal.
I want to know if any warranty issues will arise if bought online. Any firsthand experience?

Last edited by akshay380 : 16th March 2014 at 20:07.
Old 16th March 2014, 23:09   #7239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Guys I checked out a Toshiba 39 inch LED TV in Snapdeal and Pai International in Bangalore. I am getting it for about 7K less in Snapdeal.
I want to know if any warranty issues will arise if bought online. Any firsthand experience?

I just bought an LG TV from snapdeal. LG was ok with it, they provided free product demo. They were also ready to provide wall mount for free if I wanted.

I had once checked with Toshiba customer care about buying from Snapdeal. They said there can be issues.
Old 16th March 2014, 23:30   #7240
BHPian

Quote:
I bought Toshiba 39L3300 fromSnapdeal in december. There was a significant price difference (6k) when compared to a dealer price and hence decided to buy it from Snapdeal. If you are from a major city(Bengaluru in your case), I don't think it should be a problem as there would definitely be a service center. However, to be on the safe side, please do call the service center and do find out about whether or not warranty will be honoured if purchased from online retailers. This is needed more so since Toshiba released a press note recently about the warranty implications if its products are bought online. Not sure why these guys don't understand the convenience it offers to the end customer.

Also, to be on the safe side, send Snapdeal a query so that you have their response in an email which can hopefully help if something goes wrong tomorrow.

Last edited by kaka46 : 16th March 2014 at 23:32.
Old 17th March 2014, 09:39   #7241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
I just bought an LG TV from snapdeal. LG was ok with it, they provided free product demo. They were also ready to provide wall mount for free if I wanted.
Thanks for your input buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka46 View Post
I bought Toshiba 39L3300 fromSnapdeal in december. There was a significant price difference (6k) when compared to a dealer price and hence decided to buy it from Snapdeal. If you are from a major city(Bengaluru in your case), I don't think it should be a problem as there would definitely be a service center. However, to be on the safe side, please do call the service center and do find out about whether or not warranty will be honoured if purchased from online retailers. This is needed more so since Toshiba released a press note recently about the warranty implications if its products are bought online. Not sure why these guys don't understand the convenience it offers to the end customer.

Also, to be on the safe side, send Snapdeal a query so that you have their response in an email which can hopefully help if something goes wrong tomorrow.
Hey, I called up their toll free and they are saying in case of buying online, I will need the warranty card signed and stamped by reseller and that they will check the serial number to see if piece is genuine. Now im going to email them and get this in writing and also follow up with snapdeal.
Can you tell me,
1. Who was your seller and how was the overall experience?
2. Did you watch any races/played games? How is the refresh rate? TIA
Old 17th March 2014, 10:19   #7242
BHPian

Communication from Snapdeal.
Quote:
Snapdeal guarantees 100% customer satisfaction, security, quality, support and value for money.

All products sold on Snapdeal are original and covered under fixed period manufacturer warranty for hardware or software issues, wherever applicable. Please read the product page carefully for more details.

Visit the Snapdeal Guarantee page (http://www.snapdeal.com/info/guarantee) to know more about this.

All the products seller listed on Snapdeal are authorized dealers by the brands. For more infrmation please directly call Toshiba support on 1800-200-8674 and provide product's model name as well as seller's details mentioned on the invoice.

In case of any further assistance or clarification on this issue, please reply back to this email.

Assuring you of our best services always,

Yours sincerely,
Customer Service Team – Snapdeal.com
Old 19th March 2014, 10:54   #7243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
This TV had good reviews last year, and if you bargain hard, may get it around 58k in Bangalore.
I got it for 54K with a Samsung Blue-Ray player free with it, this was during the diwali sale, last November.
Old 19th March 2014, 11:28   #7244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I got it for 54K with a Samsung Blue-Ray player free with it, this was during the diwali sale, last November.
Prices have gone up across the board since Diwali, and there is no warranty/freebies offer anymore. This is for any brand, any TV, at least in Bangalore. In fact, prices gone up in December, and remained stable since.
Old 19th March 2014, 23:12   #7245
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your input buddy.

Hey, I called up their toll free and they are saying in case of buying online, I will need the warranty card signed and stamped by reseller and that they will check the serial number to see if piece is genuine. Now im going to email them and get this in writing and also follow up with snapdeal.
Can you tell me,
1. Who was your seller and how was the overall experience?
2. Did you watch any races/played games? How is the refresh rate? TIA
1)NAVEEN ELECTROTECH PVT.LTD. based out of Delhi. It was fine. Packing was excellent. I received the product in 10 calendar days after placing the order and was informed by Snapdeal through sms on the status of the order promptly.
2)A friend played a few games by using screen mirroring. Absolutely no issues with pairing the phone and there was no visible lag. I'm waiting to try games like dead trigger 2.

Most Viewed