Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2014, 15:31   #7351
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Panny plasmas are in a league of their own, LG is quite different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Any reviews/ideas about the LG Plasma picture quality and perfromance? Do they come close to Panasonic plasma?

Panasonic buys only certain sizes of 'LCD' panels from LG. All of Panasonic's plasma panels are manufactured in house at their Amagasaki plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
It is the same panel, LG & Panasonic for below 55 inch, that is the industry's worst kept secret. Panasonic has supposedly better blacks due to different graphic engine code. LG who is supplier to Panasonic has kept its blacks slightly duller to give slight competitive advantage to to the buyer. Using LG plasma 42in panel since past 2 years and no issues.

Last edited by khoj : 19th May 2014 at 15:34.
Old 19th May 2014, 16:25   #7352
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

Panasonic buys only certain sizes of 'LCD' panels from LG. All of Panasonic's plasma panels are manufactured in house at their Amagasaki plant.
This is from a few years back - http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/.../21/2003516263

Panasonic announced they are stopping production of Plasma at their Amagasaki plant. No idea if they did stop production or not.
Old 20th May 2014, 00:30   #7353
Senior - BHPian

"Sharply scale down production" is what they had said at that time and that is what has been done. The production focus at that plant is now for large panels used in signage. Eventually they will stop plasma panel for tv production all together but just not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
This is from a few years back - http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/.../21/2003516263

Panasonic announced they are stopping production of Plasma at their Amagasaki plant. No idea if they did stop production or not.
Old 20th May 2014, 04:26   #7354
BANNED

Quote:
"Sharply scale down production" is what they had said at that time and that is what has been done.
From the article
Quote:
The leading electronics manufacturer plans to cease production of plasma panels at its No. 3 plant in Amagasaki, Hyogo Prefecture, by March, according to Jiji Press, Kyodo News, the Yomiuri Shimbun and NHK.
Here is a pdf on Panasonic's website which says they have stopped production of plasma panels in their Amagasaki plant - http://panasonic.net/ir/relevant/2013/en131031-1.pdf
Old 20th May 2014, 08:52   #7355
Senior - BHPian

Good, now I will look forward to their OLED display equipped televisions, maybe you could locate information regarding the same and share.

Quote:
Here is a pdf on Panasonic's website which says they have stopped production of plasma panels in their Amagasaki plant - http://panasonic.net/ir/relevant/2013/en131031-1.pdf
Old 20th May 2014, 09:59   #7356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it make sense to go for extended warranty of LG Plasmas then. They come with the std 1 yr warranty and the EW costs 6.5K for 2 yrs.

Quote:
During my search, I was told that Panasonic India has stopped introducing the Plasmas in the market and currently in the process of selling the existing stock. They dont have any plans of bringing the Plasmas back in market. This is based on the feedback from panasonic customer care & retailers.
Old 20th May 2014, 10:16   #7357
Distinguished - BHPian

Samsung plasma's are better than LG plasma's and almost match the performance of Pana plasma's. However Samsung plasma's have some image retention issues so it makes sense to buy the extended warranty for 3 years which Samsung offers
Old 20th May 2014, 12:02   #7358
Senior - BHPian

all LG products have warranty for 5 years.

1 year or 2 year is default warranty and AMC for next 3-4 years. Can any company match that ? Least of all Samsung, who has outsourced their after sales service to third party ?

No need to go for LG extended warranty, you can take AMC as and when a fault arises, wait for a few days before filing complaint and get the issue covered under AMC.
Old 20th May 2014, 12:06   #7359
Senior - BHPian

redeeming features of LG plasma:

1. Plays SD the best amongst all plasma.
2. No issue with image retention.
3. USB port is compatible with all formats. .mkv, .avi, .dvi, .mk4 and has no issue with connecting even an external HDD via USB. Please ascertain whether Samsung Plasma can do this. At least until last year it could not.
Old 20th May 2014, 13:18   #7360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
all LG products have warranty for 5 years.

No need to go for LG extended warranty, you can take AMC as and when a fault arises, wait for a few days before filing complaint and get the issue covered under AMC.
Is that correct about 5yrs warranty? I havent come across any such product from LG. Even my LG front loaded WM comes with 10 yrs drive warranty but only one yr normal warranty.

Anyways I checked with LG customer care, they dont have naything called Extended Warranty. EW is normally given by the dealer in association with an Insurance co. In this case, Sumaria has tie up with Aegis. The warranty talks about complete replacement is repairs costs exceed cost of the TV and in case replacement is not possible, monetary refund of the cost of purchase.

I am unable to find the T&C of the AMC on the LG website. Generally whats covered? Anybody recently taken AMC for LG TV can help me firm up my decision?.
Old 20th May 2014, 17:11   #7361
Senior - BHPian

AMC can be taken anytime you want or if you prefer you can take 5 yrs AMC in advance. It is not called Extended Warranty.
Old 20th May 2014, 18:56   #7362
Senior - BHPian

What I meant when I said "different league" was in terms of PQ.

It is good to have as much warranty as one can get but do make a note of what is covered in the extended warranty being offered.

Yes the plasmas are being withdrawn. I think the only sizes currently available are 65" and 50". I myself am on the lookout for a 42" panel from the GT series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Does it make sense to go for extended warranty of LG Plasmas then. They come with the std 1 yr warranty and the EW costs 6.5K for 2 yrs.

During my search, I was told that Panasonic India has stopped introducing the Plasmas in the market and currently in the process of selling the existing stock. They dont have any plans of bringing the Plasmas back in market. This is based on the feedback from panasonic customer care & retailers.
Old 20th May 2014, 23:13   #7363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
My issue got fixed only after i sent an email to manish and if yours is a Plasma, they will offer a LCD replacement of lower spec.

I made sure i was not taking an LCD of lower spec and asked for an higher spec. When couldn't compromise i got my Plasma fixed for the SAME issue you are talking here.
After I sent mail as per your feedback things started moving in right direction. Before that they were saying repalcement panel has been ordered and will let you know by such and such date. They then postpone the date.

Now they are offering me an LED TV with much less features. I have replied back asking them to give me one with equivalent features.

How did you get your plasma fixed? So you did not take the LED replacement?
Old 21st May 2014, 00:48   #7364
Senior - BHPian

I was adamant that i am not taking a lower order LED and in fact compromised to in between. I had the 50ST50 and they offered something like the base LED series. I demanded it be comparable to 50ST50. Since they didnt have a replacement 50ST50 and constant pressure they decided to order a panel from their manufacturing unit and replace the same.

Just be firm and let them know your displeasure of owning a Panasonic.
Old 21st May 2014, 14:57   #7365
BHPian

Latest update on my Panasonic warranty claim. I have been offered full refund as per original invoice. I will be taking it.

Next big question is: should I stick with Panasonic or buy Samsung? This time I will go for LED and I will not go all out for picture quality. Which of these two companies is better in terms of (a) durability of product and (b) after sales service? I have no experience of Samsung so members' feedback will be welcome.

Panasonic after sales service: it moves fast if you can contact someone senior. Otherwise you get stuck with customer care. Even so, I will not dismiss them as yet. Their offer of full refund is a good gesture.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks