Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2014, 15:44   #7336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post

Anupam . Forgot to mention, but I too have the Belkin Spike guard in similar setup.

Works out pretty well I suppose.
Yes it does, in fact, I am planning to do the same for my other TV also. It is perfect.
Old 12th May 2014, 17:51   #7337

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
None of the inverters I have seen till now (including 2 I have owned) have a change from inv to ups button.
Which inverters do you own? This is only possible if they are the older square wave inverters. All the newer sine wave ones have this system. Exide inverters even go further a Ec(enhanced charge) option.

I always keep mine on Ups, as it gives a steady flow of voltage when the lights are out.
Old 12th May 2014, 21:27   #7338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifightforuser31 View Post
... All the newer sine wave ones have this system. ...
My 2 year old Microtek inverter does not have this option!
Is this feature very new?
Old 12th May 2014, 21:37   #7339
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
My Microtek sinewave doesn't have this feature. My earlier Microtek non-sine also didn't have it.
Old 12th May 2014, 21:54   #7340

Ah micro tek ... It runs ups by default I think. Nothing to worry about. They are also the only manufacturer in India that mention the efficiency rate is their products.
Old 13th May 2014, 01:56   #7341
Senior - BHPian

It is a very old feature. both of my inverters a Sukam smiley and a Xenon(Amaron) 800 vA have this switch to go from "INV" to "UPS". These are at least 5-6 years old.

There is another switch on both which is for rapid charging but that is never used.

Quote:
Old 13th May 2014, 06:32   #7342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
It is a very old feature. both of my inverters a Sukam smiley and a Xenon(Amaron) 800 vA have this switch to go from "INV" to "UPS". These are at least 5-6 years old.
My 16 years old non-sinewave Luminous inverters (1400 VA and 800 VA) also did not have this feature!

I'm curious to know what this was about. Did the UPS position enable a sine wave output from these inverters?
Old 13th May 2014, 09:43   #7343

The ups position does not else but provide a steady steam of 230 volts to all your appliances connected via the inverter.
If you notice, computers tend to reboot abruptly when the inverter takes over during a power cut. This setting prevents it. The changeover is instant.
Also you will not notice any flickering lights add the voltage is maintained. Thats it. It's like a voltage stabiliser that your inverter works as under the ups seeing.
I think this function is only available in the models say last 5 years or so.
Square wave inverters may not have had this feature.
Old 13th May 2014, 11:02   #7344
Senior - BHPian

The inverters are 'sine wave' models. The switch merely allows for a faster switchover time.

Quote:
My 16 years old non-sinewave Luminous inverters (1400 VA and 800 VA) also did not have this feature!

I'm curious to know what this was about. Did the UPS position enable a sine wave output from these inverters?
Old 13th May 2014, 16:50   #7345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which model are you using?
A voltage stabilizer for an LCD TV is overkill, in my opinion.
I am using SVS 04.
Here are the specifications from their website:
Protection against:
High voltageLow voltageSpikes/surgesPower-back surges
The SVS Voltage Stabiliser monitors the mains voltage 6,250 times per sec. If the voltage rises or drops, the SVS will stabilise the output at a speed of 750Volts/sec to ensure the voltage reaching your equipment remains constant at 230V.
Application:
All Electronic Equipment for Home, Office and Commercial use.
Specifications:
Microprocessor Controlled
Working Range = 142V – 295V
Output Range = 182V – 259V
Current Rating = 4amp
Spike Discharge = 6.5kA
Spike Protection = 160joules
Time Delay = 10secs or 3mins

I got the 4Amp version since the plasma has a maximum power consumption of 430 Watts (approx.) For LED's 2Amp version is sufficient and cheaper as well.

If something happens to the plasma panel, I know that I won't get a replacement from Japan. And Panasonic will give me an LED, which I avoided in the first place. So, overkill or not, this is like buying bumper to bumper insurance on your new imported car. You know that you are not going to drive it in the busy streets, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

Mathur Ji, I believe S_U_N is trying to protect his TV from the infamous Puneri 'Brown Outs'. Otherwise it is definitely an overkill.
Not sure about the "brown outs", but during summer time, power failures are more. I have a Nirantar UPS whose battery is not able to take load of the plasma anymore. So, I will have to look at a battery replacement for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Will a regular sine wave inverter be able to switch on before the TV loses power?
You could even buy a small computer UPS if you just want enough time to power off the TV. It will not be a sine wave UPS, so you are injecting 'extra noise' which the rectifier is supposed to filter out.

But for brief moments, I feel this is not an issue.

If you face longer power cuts (like to folks in Chennai) and still want to watch TV, then you will have to spend 10 times more money and buy a sine-wave inverter/ UPS and large tubular batteries. But that is topic for another thread.

Last edited by S_U_N : 13th May 2014 at 16:52.
Old 15th May 2014, 22:22   #7346
BHPian

15 days has passed since I lodged a complain with Panasonic about the black bar in my plasma TV. They have taken photos of the TV and assured panel replacement. The promised date of 14th has passed. They just sent me a mail saying they will update me again on 23rd May "as discussed". Nobody called to discuss.

I tried calling their office (not helpline) in an effort to try and speak to a general manager. The number I got from their website was not picked up. So I filled up their online feedback form, mentioning complain reference number and stating that I want to escalate the matter.

They replied with an SMS that that reference number is now closed and gave me a new complain number. They probably misunderstood my message. Fortunately they called and I explained that the original problem is not resolved and so they should not close that complain number. The rep seemed to understand but I am not quite sure. Will pursue more tomorrow.

Panasonic service does not impress so far. Patience seems to be the key. Last time I got quick result only because I was dealing directly with a DGM. He has since joined Daikin.

Last edited by Guite : 15th May 2014 at 22:29.
Old 16th May 2014, 00:40   #7347
Senior - BHPian

@ All

For Panasonic just write an email to manish.sharma at in.panasonic.com copying the helpline at in.panasonic.com email as well.

This is an escalation email, so state your issues and lack of response in a clear and professional way.

Manish is the managing director and if it takes a mail to manish to fix your issue, don't feel bad.

My issue got fixed only after i sent an email to manish and if yours is a Plasma, they will offer a LCD replacement of lower spec.

I made sure i was not taking an LCD of lower spec and asked for an higher spec. When couldn't compromise i got my Plasma fixed for the SAME issue you are talking here.

Get the panel replaced right away and get the time you are waiting for your tv to be repaired added to the 3 year warranty.

Its their fault to not find the panel to be replaced.

You also have a problem because plasma is discontinued and you may only have option to go the LCD route for them. But dont accept mediocre choice these guys give.

Last edited by moralfibre : 16th May 2014 at 07:57. Reason: Editing email addresses
Old 16th May 2014, 07:35   #7348
BHPian

Thanks VW2010, i will send mail to the MD. So far I have not been able to ascertain from them their exact plan. They seem to be arranging a panel replacement, not entire TV. That's why I have been trying to speak to some manager type.

Ps. The email address may be to be camouflaged to avoid spam to that address.
Old 19th May 2014, 09:45   #7349
Senior - BHPian

Any reviews/ideas about the LG Plasma picture quality and perfromance? Do they come close to Panasonic plasma? Flipkart has a 50in LG Plasma 50PB6600 for 58K. The specs says built in wifi, but LG website says the plasma is wifi ready with an external dongle to be purchased to make it wifi/smart. Confused. Spoke to Flipkart and LG and both say their version is correct.
Old 19th May 2014, 12:34   #7350
Senior - BHPian

It is the same panel, LG & Panasonic for below 55 inch, that is the industry's worst kept secret. Panasonic has supposedly better blacks due to different graphic engine code. LG who is supplier to Panasonic has kept its blacks slightly duller to give slight competitive advantage to to the buyer. Using LG plasma 42in panel since past 2 years and no issues.

Most Viewed