Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2013, 18:44   #6601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The 'loses HDMI signal' problem is not with the TV. It is the STB (Set Top Box) which is misbehaving on spikes in the power supply.

And why a stabilizer with the TV???
AFAIK stabilisers are recommended with an LED to safeguard from fluctuations. I've even heard cases where Samsung has not assisted the LED owner because it wasn't on a stabiliser.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
It is the weight if the stabiliser that is killing your panel. LOL

On a serious note do remove the stabilizer and check for the signal loss. If it persists then try with a different HDMI cable. You could carry out the steps in reverse order also.

Interference between two separate outlets is also an indication of the neutral and phase wires being interchanged especially when a power socket is involved.
How is the stabiliser killing it?
I'll try al this tonight and see what happens. The HDMI cable I am using is 10m long. Is there a good source where I could get the same?

How do I resolve the socket issue or even identify it?

I'm wondering if I should buy a low end APC UPS and run the LED
Old 29th March 2013, 20:01   #6602
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
How is the stabiliser killing it?
It was a joke based on your statement below

Quote:
The LED is under a 1KW BlueBird stabiliser.

I have no experience of using or seeing anyone in my circle using a transformer or UPS exclusively for the panel. My two panels a LCD and a Plasma are directly connected to 5Amp sockets and backed up by an inverter. Panels usually operate across a wide voltage range, you can check the back side of your panel for this information. However if Samsung so recommends then do use it.

I am using the HDMI cables that came with the Tata Sky boxes. These are available at any computer h/w retailer and stores such as Croma etc. Any particular reason for using such a long cable?

As for the socket an electrician can open it and check, it is a small job, just a matter of switching the wires on the effected switch plate. Earlier with such faults our CRT tv screens used to get an interference across the screen when a mixie would be turned on or when someone would ring the doorbell, T/L switched on. This sounds similar, only thing HDMI boards are very sensitive so it might be losing signal during those milliseconds. This is an assumption but worth checking out.
Old 29th March 2013, 21:41   #6603
BHPian

Thanks. I'll get the needful done
Old 29th March 2013, 22:44   #6604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK stabilisers are recommended with an LED to safeguard from fluctuations. I've even heard cases where Samsung has not assisted the LED owner because it wasn't on a stabiliser.

Well, that's a shame if Samsung recommends a stab. When we pay through the nose for a product and then ask you to buy an aftermarket piece to protect it, that's no good. Even the 1995 model BPL TV came with a SMPS that handled 90-270V.
Old 30th March 2013, 00:16   #6605

Bought Panasonic X series HD ready 32" LED. Value for money from Pie 33kv(including induction stove). So far impressed with quality
Old 30th March 2013, 07:19   #6606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think this needs to be corrected.
No manufacturer's guarantee is conditional on using a voltage stabilizer.
What you've heard must be rumors only.
Old 30th March 2013, 12:31   #6607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I'm wondering if I should buy a low end APC UPS and run the LED
LOL If you are really worried about the TV getting spoilt, just use good spike buster. Never heard of a TV going bad because of voltage fluctuations - all of them today use DC-DC converters / switching power supplies which give stable internal output over 90-270V.

Quote:
... I've even heard cases where Samsung has not assisted the LED owner because it wasn't on a stabiliser. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I think this needs to be corrected.
No manufacturer's guarantee is conditional on using a voltage stabilizer.
What you've heard must be rumors only.
Correct. One should ask those 'expert' A.S.S. guys where in the manual is it written that a stabilizer must be used with the TV. This is what we commonly forget:
- read the manual that comes with an equipment,
- check whether we are doing using the equipment correctly, and
- ask the A.S.S. guys where in the manual is a warning given which removes the company's obligation to repair it
Such myths are commonly propagated by the sales guys at the showroom as a means of propagating sales of add-on products (like stabilizers, which doesn't protect against anything) and services (AMC, where they actually don't do anything). This is only in India.
Old 30th March 2013, 21:14   #6608
BHPian

I've removed the stablizer but my precious room has been kidnapped by my dad so I couldn't test anything :(

It's already on a Belkin surge protector...
Old 31st March 2013, 10:50   #6609
Senior - BHPian

Actually modern power supplies have a wide input range. Most of them have 110V-250V as input range.

The problem occurs when high voltage spikes hit the equipment. The result is called "Fried Electronics" So a good spike buster is all that is required. Ensure that it really works (they have zenner diode or equivalent device, which shorts the input after a threshold voltage is exceeded), else you have paid a lot of money for a notional benefit.
Old 1st April 2013, 06:29   #6610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
..... So a good spike buster is all that is required. .....
I wonder what kind of joule rating would suffice.
Many have a rating of 160 joules.

Last edited by anupmathur : 1st April 2013 at 06:31.
Old 1st April 2013, 13:27   #6611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
LOL If you are really worried about the TV getting spoilt, just use good spike buster. Never heard of a TV going bad because of voltage fluctuations - all of them today use DC-DC converters / switching power supplies which give stable internal output over 90-270V.

Correct. One should ask those 'expert' A.S.S. guys where in the manual is it written that a stabilizer must be used with the TV. This is what we commonly forget:
- read the manual that comes with an equipment,
- check whether we are doing using the equipment correctly, and
- ask the A.S.S. guys where in the manual is a warning given which removes the company's obligation to repair it
Such myths are commonly propagated by the sales guys at the showroom as a means of propagating sales of add-on products (like stabilizers, which doesn't protect against anything) and services (AMC, where they actually don't do anything). This is only in India.
Bingo! So this con game is played only in India?

Dealers/service centers of almost all product these days want to push an exorbitant AMC down your throat. To begin with, an AMC is further incentive to make non-durable products and and actually profit from the same. And I see a LOT of people happily giving this incentive to the company.

I'v always shunned AMCs. Just try to research which is the most durable product before buying. Then leave it to luck. Most of the times the total cost of the AMC thru the duration of ownership is much more than the cost to repair/replace. Of course if the product quality is really crappy, that may not apply.

As for power protection equipment, I'v actually seen couple cases where they damage the equipment rather than protecting it.
Old 1st April 2013, 14:22   #6612
Senior - BHPian

Booked a Sony Bravia EX330 32 inch LED yesterday. Should get delivered by tomorrow. Made the purchase from Croma.

LED costed 32900 and an additional 2 year warranty costed 1999.

Waiting to see how it fares compared to my old 32 inch LG LCD which we brought some years ago.

Going for the normal set-top boxes provided by the cable operator (hathway in our case). Was thinking of Tata Sky but then they design their packs in such a way that you are forced to take the highest bundle to get all the channels you want plus the usual stuff during monsoon etc. Went with our cable operator as service backup is excellent.
Old 1st April 2013, 15:00   #6613
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I am plannning to buy 50'' Plasma and finalized some model.

http://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-50PA6500-lcd-tv
http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/t...8000GRLXL-spec
http://www.panasonic.co.in/wps/porta...atv/thp50gt50d

I am more inclined over Pana GT 50 or Samsung 8 Series.
But both the models are not available in Chennai. I have been trying for these models for last some months. If anyone have know about the avaiability in Chennai, Please let me know.
If this will not be materialized, then i have to move for LEDs.
Just before 6 months I bought Sony Ex 520 40'' and It's good and satisfied in all aspects.
Since there's no 50'' LEDs in Sony I might go for 55'' either HX750 or HX850/925. But have to shell out a lakh more than plasma TV and i don't find any worth in this deal other than buying it from Arab or eastern countries as i did for my EX 520 roughly for Rs. 40K.
Hope, I can find a dealer to get either Pana or Samsung Plasma.
Old 1st April 2013, 15:15   #6614
BHPian

Samsung has launched their F Series for Plasma and LED TVs.
I have inquired the price for 51" Plasma PN51F5500, Full HD, 3D with dual processor smart TV, Rs.73900/- without any bargain and discount. So we can get it some bargain in this.
Cheaper than previous model 51E550(Rs.82000/-)
Old 2nd April 2013, 09:58   #6615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Hi All,

I am plannning to buy 50'' Plasma and finalized some model.

http://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-50PA6500-lcd-tv
http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/t...8000GRLXL-spec
http://www.panasonic.co.in/wps/porta...atv/thp50gt50d

I am more inclined over Pana GT 50 or Samsung 8 Series.
But both the models are not available in Chennai. I have been trying for these models for last some months. If anyone have know about the avaiability in Chennai, Please let me know.
You will not get 2012 series models from Panasonic anymore. 2013 models are expected in India by May (next month). I suggest wait for a month and then checkout the ST60 from Panasonic. Pricing details will be shared after 15 April.
Meanwhile, check with Samsung when the new 8 series will be available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks