Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2013, 15:26   #6496
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Hi Everyone,

Quick query on the mounting options that everyone uses for their TVs? How do you hide the clutter of cables running from the back/side of the TV to the STB, PS3, DVD player etc ? Any links to products, pictures of actual installation will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance
Old 18th February 2013, 20:41   #6497
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have a wall unit, you can always route the cables behind the wood sheet. In case you have a fixed wall panel, or mounting directly to the wall, the cables will spoil the look a bit. In case you are getting the woodwork or the masonry done, I suggest you to get a one inch Dia PVC pipe running from the point of mounting the TV till the bottom of the wall, or a place where you plan to keep all the other equipment. You can route cables through this pipe and it will be completely concealed. Here is a WIP picture of our apartment setup. Its completed now but things are lying around and hence not picture worthy

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-up.jpg

I was specific about this thing, as cables running up would not at all complement the looks. Also, another problem I faced with the mount provided with the TV was that, the clearance was so less, I couldnt plug in any pin to the rear of the TV. In the last moment, I got a portion of the panel caved in so that the HDMI pins can sit inside the cavity. Also, in order to change any pin in the rear, I have to unmount the entire TV. Ensure you have a mount that can provide good clearance so that you can at least plug in cables in case your TV has IO ports both in the side and rear, as mine. The mount provided by Sony is designed well, however, I was given a mount free by the dealer.
Old 18th February 2013, 20:44   #6498
Senior - BHPian

you can use a cable organizer like this:

http://www.mdrelectronics.com/StoreP...tID=6&SCatID=1

I use it and there is only one cable running from TV to cabinet.
Old 18th February 2013, 20:56   #6499
BHPian

Thanks Audioholic, I was thinking of the same idea (Wall paneling) too, but wondering if there were any mounting options that help to streamline the wiring. I think the paneling will have to be 1 to 1.5 inches out from the cemented wall, for routing cables to all the input/output equipment, below/above the TV.

I am looking at HX750 and think the HDMI ports on this one are on the sides of the TV, so connecting the cables should be easy. Which model do you have that caused the inaccessibility to connections and leading to the cavity in the paneling?

Shanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
you can use a cable organizer like this:

http://www.mdrelectronics.com/StoreP...tID=6&SCatID=1

I use it and there is only one cable running from TV to cabinet.
Thanks Netfreak, it looks nice, I think it can be used to route the cables as a unit behind the paneling, keeps them all together and easy to handle.

Did you experience any issues in routing all cables including the power with the Co-ax and HDMI etc in a single cable cover?

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th February 2013 at 09:25.
Old 18th February 2013, 21:15   #6500
Distinguished - BHPian

I have 40EX520. It has ports both at the rear and side. Rear has three HDMIs and other video inouts. Side panel has one HDMI, USB, audio out and Vga. Even the side ports are difficult to access, as clearance between TV and wall is just three centimetres.

The thickness of the panelling is two cm. However, the pipe is embedded in the wall itself.

Last edited by audioholic : 18th February 2013 at 21:16.
Old 19th February 2013, 09:03   #6501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Did you experience any issues in routing all cables including the power with the Co-ax and HDMI etc in a single cable cover?
No, organizers can easily accommodate 7 -8 cable.

In route these

1. Power cable for TV
2. HDMI from AVR to TV
3. HDMI left open
4. AV cable + audio from STB
5. 5 Speakers cables from AVR

Since all these are amplified already, no issues with keeping those in same organizer as power cable.
Old 19th February 2013, 14:18   #6502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Since all these are amplified already, no issues with keeping those in same organizer as power cable.
Amplified sound signal is still low voltage. I don't know exactly how much, maybe 12V? (If it were not low voltage, speaker terminals of amplifiers will give you electric shock, no?)

For those who are very particular about sound quality its best to separate speaker cable from power cable (220V). This will reduce electromagnetic interference between the two types of cables.

Disclaimer: all my cables are all jumbled up together behind the TV cabinet.
Old 19th February 2013, 23:46   #6503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Amplified sound signal is still low voltage. I don't know exactly how much, maybe 12V? (If it were not low voltage, speaker terminals of amplifiers will give you electric shock, no?)
Voltage depends on wattage at any given point of time. At 100W, amplifier would generate around 30 V (RMS). That is for a 8 ohm speaker.

It is not fatal, but enough to give a electric shock.

Voltage generated in speaker wire via induction from power wire should be negligible if compared to voltage from amp.
Old 20th February 2013, 17:25   #6504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
@Pri2, @Hells_Fury,

Thanks for the feedback. this is helpful.
Hello Fillmore.
Did you purchase the HDMI cable?
How much is the shipping charge from MDR electronics?
Old 20th February 2013, 17:56   #6505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Hello Fillmore.
Did you purchase the HDMI cable?
How much is the shipping charge from MDR electronics?
Sorry cannot help you here.
Right after this I got an alternate HDMI cable so did not go to pickup from this guy yet.

However I do plan to visit his place to pickup some Ethernet cables i.e. > 12 meters long. I plan to visit his shop since I live in Blr.

-Fillmore
Old 20th February 2013, 20:11   #6506
Senior - BHPian

^Off topic, but CAT 6 Ethernet cable cost is Rs 18 per meter in Pune if I remember it right.
The connectors are separate and crimping charges separate too.
Old 20th February 2013, 20:16   #6507
BHPian

Is it a good offer? http://www.infibeam.com/TVs/i-Panaso...tml?id=Grey-42

How reliable is infibeam since they won't accept CoD, is this model available locally in Delhi?
Old 20th February 2013, 23:22   #6508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Panny plasma was very good: the blacks reproduction is unmatchable. However I have equipped the rest of the home with CFL bulbs, solar heater, etc. so buying a TV that consumes three times the power makes no sense.
Are you sure a plasma consumes 3 times as much as an LED of same size? Because I was told modern plasmas consume just 10-15 % more power. In any case I do not think the difference is 3 times. I think this issue needs detalied discussion because I see many prospective plasma buyers whose sole concern appears to be power bills.
Old 21st February 2013, 12:46   #6509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Is it a good offer? http://www.infibeam.com/TVs/i-Panaso...tml?id=Grey-42

How reliable is infibeam since they won't accept CoD, is this model available locally in Delhi?
Yes. Pricing is good.
ModernElectronics is based in Delhi itself. So, you could pick directly from them if you know how to get their contact details.

Infibeam experience has not been very smooth for many people - such large scale purchases are risky. You might not get a packed piece or you might get something missing in the box or no bill etc.
So, lot of time and patience may be required. If you have those, then go ahead.
Old 21st February 2013, 14:32   #6510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Yes. Pricing is good.
ModernElectronics is based in Delhi itself. So, you could pick directly from them if you know how to get their contact details.
Thanks dear,

I tried searching for them with google but of no use, came up with several results in the search but none seem to be one that I am looking for.

does anyone have contact details/address of this Modern Electronics?

buying online from Infibeam seems to be a bad option, found a thread on hifivision forum where someone has shared their ordeal.

http://www.hifivision.com/television...ty-seller.html

Most Viewed