Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2012, 20:40   #6346
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Thanks for the quick reply LionX.

Am pretty much on the same boat as you've recommended. Since most of our Indian programmes are high coloured and bright, the black depth advantage of the Plasma's will go to waste here.
Am pretty much sold on the Sam 5330, any other recommendations? I've never had good experience with Sony, so wanna avoid it.
Old 31st December 2012, 22:19   #6347
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The plasma has better blacks but its only noticeable in a living room of low ambient light typically in night.Since during the day the plasma just give washed out picture due the higher reflections and nature of the plasma screen which apart from reflecting more just washes out.In daytime viewing the LCD/LED will have a comfortable edge in the perceived contrast and some lcd have similar black level even during night time and all low to mid end samsung/sony tvs have comparable black levels to most plasmas.
Old 1st January 2013, 00:46   #6348
Senior - BHPian

Needed 32" LED. Don't want to pay more than 30K. I'm not inclined towards Samsung. How is Toshiba? Any idea if we get Vizio in India?

Also I don't need USB player or anything fancy. Just a good TV to hook up in the bedroom and replace the Sony Trinitron that I have there. Have TataSky.

Last edited by csentil : 1st January 2013 at 00:51.
Old 1st January 2013, 11:33   #6349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
The plasma has better blacks but its only noticeable in a living room of low ambient light typically in night.Since during the day the plasma just give washed out picture due the higher reflections and nature of the plasma screen which apart from reflecting more just washes out. ...
Have you seen a plasma in action in a living room, or are you just saying because you heard / read other people say that?

I have a plasma and an LCD, and the Plasma is as good or better in the daytime, reflections and all! The current gen LEDs reflect too, and their reproduction is rather garish and unnatural.

The LED matrix ones use backlight intensity modulation (edge LEDs and CFLs can't), which ultimately brings then close to Plasma. They are also able to compensate for the heavy anti-reflection coating. These cost roughly 3 times a plasma currently.
Old 1st January 2013, 12:07   #6350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The current gen LEDs reflect too, and their reproduction is rather garish and unnatural.

The LED matrix ones use backlight intensity modulation (edge LEDs and CFLs can't), which ultimately brings then close to Plasma. They are also able to compensate for the heavy anti-reflection coating. These cost roughly 3 times a plasma currently.
These are some myths which are also quickly fading away. I recently bought a 55" Samsung 3D LED for just 1.05L - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2972632 which is in fact lower than a similar specced Plasma with mind blowing picture quality, lower footprint and much lower power consumption. The newer LED's can now safely be said to be beating plasmas in the big picture game too.
Old 1st January 2013, 12:20   #6351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
... The newer LED's can now safely be said to be ...
@aim120's point was quite different, in case you didn't notice! And, the price you are quoting are not official prices.

Last edited by DerAlte : 1st January 2013 at 12:23.
Old 1st January 2013, 13:26   #6352
BHPian

Quote:
These are some myths which are also quickly fading away. I recently bought a 55" Samsung 3D LED for just 1.05L - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2972632 which is in fact lower than a similar specced Plasma with mind blowing picture quality, lower footprint and much lower power consumption. The newer LED's can now safely be said to be beating plasmas in the big picture game too.
You will be a happy person if you cannot make out the basic quality difference between plasma and led, ie image depth. I have both LED and Plasma at home of 42" size, so quoting from my own experience. The image on the LED is like lifeless with high contrast and brightness which many may consider as high quality in front of dull image of Plasma. Just put a pic of someone and check the hairline borders, you will get a scissor cut kind of boarders in led and a real life kind of pic in Plasma.
Old 1st January 2013, 13:34   #6353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
You will be a happy person if you cannot make out the basic quality difference between plasma and led, ie image depth.
I own a Panasonic VT50 which was supposedly top of the line in Plasma at that point of time and I can assure you that the picture quality of this Samsung 55 LED is better than the Panasonic. LED technology has upgraded and so should your comments to the contrary.
Old 1st January 2013, 13:47   #6354
BHPian

Quote:
I own a Panasonic VT50 which was supposedly top of the line in Plasma at that point of time and I can assure you that the picture quality of this Samsung 55 LED is better than the Panasonic. LED technology has upgraded and so should your comments to the contrary.
You seem to be the first person in the world to say that.

Other than that all the reviewers worldwide agree that the PQ of even a mid range plasma like the panasonic UT50 plasma beats the most expensive led tvs. And i agree with them as i have a combo of 8 tvs comprising of a mixture of plasmas and led tvs. Each and every plasma tv easily beats each of the led tvs.
Also the leds that i have cost much much more than the plasma tvs that i have.

Last edited by M5_fan : 1st January 2013 at 13:49.
Old 1st January 2013, 13:55   #6355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
You seem to be the first person in the world to say that.
Yes, I am one of the first persons to taste and post radical thoughts in many things to do with technology on many forums. I have seen many persons eventually agreeing with me albeit a little late in the day.

LED/OLED is the future of TV technology and even though few companies are still hotly pursuing and innovating Plasma, I feel it will soon see the end in the next 5 years.
Old 1st January 2013, 13:56   #6356
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry if i offended you, as i have already mentioned in my previous posts that the difference matters only to a trained eye. The upgraded LED technology you are talking about is just an lcd screen with led backlighting. These things doesn't matter as long as you enjoy the pic.
Old 1st January 2013, 14:00   #6357
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I am one of the first persons to taste and post radical thoughts in many things to do with technology on many forums. I have seen many persons eventually agreeing with me albeit a little late in the day.

LED/OLED is the future of TV technology and even though few companies are still hotly pursuing and innovating Plasma, I feel it will soon see the end in the next 5 years.
LED and OLED are completely different things. So will not agree with you on the led vs oled vs plasma thing. But i agree with you on one thing. Yes, the plasmas might get discontinued after 5 yrs but thats not because they are not good enough. The reasons for that are purely economic and psychological.
Old 1st January 2013, 14:21   #6358
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Have you seen a plasma in action in a living room, or are you just saying because you heard / read other people say that?

I have a plasma and an LCD, and the Plasma is as good or better in the daytime, reflections and all! The current gen LEDs reflect too, and their reproduction is rather garish and unnatural.

Yes i have seen the plasmas in action,now it can be fine in your living room with the ambient light your room receives .But the same cannot be said for all living rooms ,if one has windows or light source opposite to the TV there will be glare/reflections period(unless the room has not enough ambient light)and even more so if those windows are facing east and west.
The wash out of the picture not only applies to plasma but also to CRT/rear projection tvs and projectors screens.

Secondly plasma are dimmer by nature and this isn't going to help plasmas in combating reflections/glare .Add to that some plasmas dim even further depending on the image shown on the screen ,google "plasma ABL" for more on this.

LCD/LED on the other hand can be adjusted to be as dim as plasma or even twice to thrice as bright as a plasma .Most LCD will do this automatically when their light sensor is switched ON,their backlight can still be further adjusted as per individual preference )

If your LCD has unnatural picture then you probably have not calibrated the tv with the right settings.But if you are saying all LCD have unnatural picture then i have to disagree with you.

Bottom line is choose whats best to your living room,take for eg in my living room during the day ,a LCD tv (without IPS or TN panel) will always be superior to any plasma out there in terms of perceived contrast and shadow details.I won't deny that the best of the plasma will have the edge in black levels during night time viewing or living room with with very low ambient light ,where one can perceive the slightly deeper blacks.
Old 1st January 2013, 14:44   #6359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes i have seen the plasmas in action, ...
But not in a practical living room, right? My living room was designed not to need any artificial lighting from 6AM to 6PM. There is a (20') wall full of windows directly opposite the TV - no curtains! And I still get the same PQ all day and night. Reflections are a botheration in some positions, but not enough to kill the pleasure of watching.

Isn't 'washed out' a description of dull colors due very little gradation / depth perception (insufficient contrast, peaking brightness)? You see that in Plasma? (Plasmas emit light, like CRTs, and don't suffer from 'washed out' PQ; unlike LCDs and LEDs which have backlighting with no controllability).

Quote:
... Secondly plasma are dimmer by nature ... But if you are saying all LCD have unnatural picture then i have to disagree with you. ... where one can perceive the slightly deeper blacks.
All that is fine, @aim120, but it still doesn't beat viewing it yourself. Tuning helps - though I haven't got around to doing it yet on my set, and I am not unhappy.

And, please re-read my post - I said LEDs have unnatural picture, not LCDs. Even others feel the same.
Old 1st January 2013, 19:14   #6360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
From Bangalore, you can drive down to Hosur to get really good deals.
It is worth the 40km drive. When I bought my LG 32inch LED TV, Hosur dealers were quoting around 4K less from the least quote from Balgalore.
Taxes are less in TN. Try bargaining to the maximum possible extend. Always check the price of same model at different showrooms. Expect more discount if you give cash instead of card.
Do you know of any good dealerships in Hosur which I can go check out? Someone mentioned that a 40 sony ex650 costs 62K in bangalore, and the same in TN costs about 54K. That is a huge difference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks