Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2012, 11:40   #6241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010
I got an Oppo player a year back. It came with the Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu-ray disc. I am using this to calibrate my TV and it did came out very well.

As Guite said, i left the standard settings till over 200 hours. Even now i have not completely finished the disc. But thats where i would be heading this weekend to complete calibration.
Does this S&M disc come with blue filter glass? I had at one point of time considered ordering THX blue filter but have put it in abeyance due to logistics issues. Please let us know how you do colour calibration and the resultant settings.
Old 7th December 2012, 13:41   #6242
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
On the other hand, I wouldn't fancy watching news channels and documentaries at such magnification.
I agree. I cannot imagine being bombarded with repetitive news in that size. It will surely leave a lasting impression on many minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerTrained View Post
hi,

Cost : 102000/-
Great purchase. What is the MRP? How much was the cash discount?

Quote:
Freebies : 1. MultiPrinter 2. Hungama vourcher worth 10K movies
Is that the Diwali offer?

Quote:
I did ask multibrand outlets for this particular model and none had it but eager to sell me available stock.
Same here. Very few dealers selling plasma. Maximum one plasma on display and that too is either LG or Samsung. The Koreans really know how to penetrate the market (that includes Hyundai too).

Quote:
Can someone please look at this serial number and make any sense? honestly I have no idea but the date of manufacture says Nov 12 and date of import as Dec 12.
What is your concern here?

When I spoke to one Pana brandshop the other day, he asked me to wait for one month for the stocks to arrive.
He also claimed that no one has these TVs in stock (I was interested in 42UT50 and 42ST50).
When I asked that shopclues has stock and selling for a good price, he said, these are all gray market pieces without warranty.
When I said Shopclues indicates that this is with Panasonic warranty, he said, even if they give it on paper, when there is a problem, Panasonic engineers will look at the serial number and since it won't be in some database, it will be considered out of warranty.
I am not buying that argument, but I do feel that Panasonic makes things difficult in more than one way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
That much of difference? Anyways, what is the drawback of buying it from grey market?
No Accessories and no warranty, anything else?
Also if at all I want to buy it from the grey market, where shoudl I go?
Gray market: www.ebay.in. There are products available at 10K + discount and come with serve pro 1 year warranty.
An example is this one: http://www.ebay.in/itm/BRAND-NEW-SON...ht_6348wt_1139

BTW: It seems that Panasonic and Samsung 3D active glasses are the same and interchangeable.
http://geb.ebay.in/g/Newest-Bluetoot...d=330784596328

Last edited by S_U_N : 7th December 2012 at 13:50.
Old 7th December 2012, 20:54   #6243
Distinguished - BHPian

Have a doubt. Currently i have connected the audio out from my Pana 42UT50 to the home theatre using RCA cables and use the AUX feature in the HT to power the speakers so that the sound comes out of the HT speakers. IF i use a HDMI cable to connect the HT to TV and remove the RCA cables , can i still use the AUX feature of the home theatre?
Old 7th December 2012, 21:42   #6244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki
Have a doubt. Currently i have connected the audio out from my Pana 42UT50 to the home theatre using RCA cables and use the AUX feature in the HT to power the speakers so that the sound comes out of the HT speakers. IF i use a HDMI cable to connect the HT to TV and remove the RCA cables , can i still use the AUX feature of the home theatre?
Aux In works if it is connected to something but if you remove the rca cables, it won't receive any input and hence won't work.
if you have a set top box you can connect the HDMI from the stb to the HDMI-in in the HT and a HDMI out from the HT to the TV.
Old 7th December 2012, 21:52   #6245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Aux In works if it is connected to something but if you remove the rca cables, it won't receive any input and hence won't work.
if you have a set top box you can connect the HDMI from the stb to the HDMI-in in the HT and a HDMI out from the HT to the TV.
problem is my STB does not have a HDMI output. Its a old tatasky box with standard defn.

What i am telling is i will remove the RCA cables connecting the TV to the HT and replace it with a HDMI cable from the TV to HDMI input on the HT. I am hoping this will channel the audio out from the TV to the HT from where it will channel to the five speakers.

I basic requirement is this- I have a normal Philips DVD 5.1 HT system which does not play HD. But the TV plays HD directly from the USB port on it. So i want to enjoy the HiDef audio from a HD video on the HT rather than the crappy TV speakers. Currently since i am using RCA cables from the Audio out on the TV to the Audio in on the HT. Since the signal is Analogue i cant get the 5.1 channel effect on the HT.So i want the HD Video on the TV and the HD audio component of the video to be routed to HT so that it can play the 5.1 channel sound!

Hope i have made my requirement clear! TIA

EDIT- Just had a look at the rear of my Home theater system! It has only one HDMI Out port . Guess i have hit a dead end. Cant enjoy the HD video and the 5.1 audio at the same time ! :(

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 7th December 2012 at 22:16.
Old 7th December 2012, 23:33   #6246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki
So i want to enjoy the HiDef audio from a HD video on the HT rather than the crappy TV speakers. Currently since i am using RCA cables from the Audio out on the TV to the Audio in on the HT. Since the signal is Analogue i cant get the 5.1 channel effect on the HT.So i want the HD Video on the TV and the HD audio component of the video to be routed to HT so that it can play the 5.1 channel ! :(
Your TV has one audio digital out (optical). If your HT has similar input, use an optical cable to connect the two. I use similar connection from my TV to AV receiver. However I have not had success playing 5.1 channel audio on the TV media player (UT50). In any case even for stereo, optical digital beats RCA analogue hands down in quality of sound.

Last edited by Guite : 7th December 2012 at 23:38.
Old 8th December 2012, 02:01   #6247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerTrained View Post
hi,

I managed to book Pana 50ST50 via Panasonic brandshop, made advance payment of 5k on 17/Nov ( to avail Diwali offer), This Monday the 3rd Dec got a call from dealer saying limited stock arrived and requested to make full payment to get the set delivered. I paid cheque same day, today I received delivery of the TV set, tomorrow installation guys are turning up. The packing seems to be from company no tampering or fiddling, fingers crossed, I intend to check on SRV tool.

Cost : 102000/-
Set : Pana Plasma 50ST50 ( includes pair of 3D glasses, wall-mount stand and standart AC cable, remote, batteries etc.)
Freebies : 1. MultiPrinter 2. Hungama vourcher worth 10K movies

I did ask multibrand outlets for this particular model and none had it but eager to sell me available stock.

Can someone please look at this serial number and make any sense? honestly I have no idea but the date of manufacture says Nov 12 and date of import as Dec 12. Sorry for bad quality of picture from phone.
Which city are you from? Even I tried hard in booking either ST50 or GT50 but brand shops refused to accept money saying that they are unsure whether these models would even be imported henceforth or not. Hence in the medley I lost the Diwali offer
Old 9th December 2012, 21:00   #6248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Looking to decide between the 42GT50 @81K and the Sony HX850 @90K.
@Khoj: Quoting you here for the 42GT50 which I checked out at Pana brandshop today.

One Pune Panasonic brandshop has XT, UT and GT (no ST) in 42" and X, XT, UT in 50".

Pune folks if interested in plasma, please PM me. We can try to group together to get a better deal.

42GT50 price offered was 94K. I am wondering how @khoj got a quote for 81K [maybe I have to learn some negotiation skills ]. Of course, Pune has octroi which adds 4% to the cost.

But the GT outclassed the UT completely.

I could see what gray is and what black is.
The difference between XT and UT was perhaps negligible.

42UT50 was quoted as 65K (I know sagarpadaki got this for 60K).

In the 50", I found the UT to be actually better than the 42" version.
This TV was away from the entrance and there was less ambient light coming in there.
So, UT may not be that bad, but I felt the LED from Panasonic to be actually better than the 42" UT kept next to it.

50UT50 was quoted at 80K.

Overall, I am glad to have visited the brandshop, since I saw for the first time how good a plasma can be. The 'HD-ready' plasmas really don't compare with the LED's.
The GT panel is simply awesome.
I also got a good demo of the smart TV features, the android-handset based remote app and the 2D-3D and the real 3D features as well. Overall a satisfying visit.

Now, the wait is for 42GT50 to come down to 80K range.
Old 9th December 2012, 23:34   #6249
Senior - BHPian

S_U_N, which brand shop is this, O mean location wise. I will be in Pune next weekend and would like to check out this place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@Khoj: Quoting you here for the 42GT50 which I checked out at Pana brandshop today.

One Pune Panasonic brandshop has XT, UT and GT (no ST) in 42" and X, XT, UT in 50".
Old 10th December 2012, 09:30   #6250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
S_U_N, which brand shop is this, O mean location wise. I will be in Pune next weekend and would like to check out this place.

Pune (Daruwala Pool). They claim to be the brandshop with highest sale all over India.

BTW: Are you interested in buying or only seeing?
The rates in Dilli are going to be much better (as you can see based on my experience). Is there some state tax which adds to the cost? Taxes are low in Delhi, right?

I would still be glad if you visit the place and see what is the best they can offer you on the TV's for which I have provided the pricing above.
Old 10th December 2012, 11:33   #6251
Senior - BHPian

Just reading up on health concerns with active 3D (used by Panasonic, Samsung and a few others).
http://vspblog.com/wp-content/upload...FAQs-FINAL.pdf

What is the first hand feedback from forum members who are using active 3D?
Do you get a headache/ heavy head/ dizziness or something else after 30 minutes/2 hours/ end of a movie/ or never?
Old 10th December 2012, 16:49   #6252
BHPian

Quote:
What is the first hand feedback from forum members who are using active 3D?
Do you get a headache/ heavy head/ dizziness or something else after 30 minutes/2 hours/ end of a movie/ or never?
In my experience it varies person-to-person.
Eg: It doesn't make any difference to me, where as my missus has watery eyes, my mom has uneasy feeling which leads to headache.

On an average I have seen that 20-30 mins watch is safe in limits without much any of the above effects.
Old 10th December 2012, 17:02   #6253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
In my experience it varies person-to-person.
Eg: It doesn't make any difference to me, where as my missus has watery eyes, my mom has uneasy feeling which leads to headache.

On an average I have seen that 20-30 mins watch is safe in limits without much any of the above effects.
Thank you for first hand feedback.
I was hoping that at least one 3 hour movie should we watchable with one interval in between.
Now you got me thinking on the value of this in real terms.
Old 10th December 2012, 17:09   #6254
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for first hand feedback.
I was hoping that at least one 3 hour movie should we watchable with one interval in between.
Now you got me thinking on the value of this in real terms.
As I said the effects are person dependent.

Good quality 3D is certianly a fun to watch eg: I have watched Avator n'number of times but certainly doesn't make sense to watch the soaps in adaptive/simulated 3D, F1 race in adaptive/simulated 3D is also fun to watch.
Old 11th December 2012, 14:54   #6255
Senior - BHPian

There is a good deal on Flipkart (the only safe and reliable online store in my opinion).

LG 42LM6410 LED 42 inches Full HD 3D Television price Rs. 72,999.

For the price point, I find it more value for money than the Panasonic plasmas that I have seen last week.

What is the opinion of others?
Any first hand reviews?

Most Viewed