Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2012, 22:03   #6226
BHPian

Allow me to clear a few things regarding today's discussion.

The correct term is "burn in". A plasma is susceptible to burn in during the initial life of the phosphors, which is about 200 hours of initial running time of the tv.

Burn in shouldn't normally be visible when tv power is off.

Screen protector being described few posts above is a feature of the tv. It has nothing to do with heat / summer. In a Pana plasma, this feature can accessed via Menu >> Picture >> Advanced >> Scroll Bar.
Old 5th December 2012, 22:44   #6227
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Though I would prefer 40" TV considering the size of the room, sad to notice that minimum size of Plasma is 42".

Secondly eZone, Reliance Digital, Vijay Sales and Chroma around my area have either one or zero plasma's for display.
But based on what I have seen, the HD of plasma shows lot of pixelation even at 8 ft distance. (My viewing distance is around 9 feet for the hall.)

From 9 feet viewing distance, you can enjoy stress-free TV watching on 1920x1080 84 inch tv.

http://us.toshiba.com/tv/research-ce...wing-distance/

says a 65 incher is good enough from just 6.5 feet AND not good enough beyond 10.5 feet. Now that is very interesting because I have seen Indian households with 18 feet long living room watching a 42 incher. We buy sedans and SUVs like crazy ( even boot-slapped sedans and mini pseudo SUVs ) but strangely when it comes to TVs, we stop at 42. We want everything BIG, except TVs. That is because we do lot of research on brands but hardly any on viewing distance. Google for "ideal TV viewing distance" and you will be surprised to see that a modern HD TV of 84 inch diagonal can be viewed comfortably from just 9-10 feet. Watching same 84 inch from 20-25 feet distance will deprive you of the awe of big screen.

Regarding your second remark about LED being better than plasma, I have read in some forums that some dealers keep plasma off tune to push LED ( some may even do vice versa). Our country has this herd menatlity. We do what everyone says or does. I see my friends saying, plasma is old, history. LED is future. In India, anything newer is always better. If you do some research on google, you will see that plasma scores points over LED on almost every aspect ( except for higher power consumption). But then again, if you take price difference into account, the up-front money saved on plasma purchase will take care of your power bills for several years.
Old 6th December 2012, 10:21   #6228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
From 9 feet viewing distance, you can enjoy stress-free TV watching on 1920x1080 84 inch tv.

http://us.toshiba.com/tv/research-ce...wing-distance/
While this is an interesting link, my experience with SD transmission on a 1024x768 resolution Plasma screen viewed from a distance less than 8 feet was really not upto expectations.

Maybe the numbers are valid on Full HD with 1080p or 1080i transmissions?

Quote:

distance" and you will be surprised to see that a modern HD TV of 84 inch diagonal can be viewed comfortably from just 9-10 feet. Watching same 84 inch from 20-25 feet distance will deprive you of the awe of big screen.

I cannot imagine sitting at that distance for even 60 inch screen.
Even 42 looks like a monster to me.
It is like getting a ticket of 'stall' in a theater. Perhaps 'balcony' seat is better for me.

I would also like to understand the vertical view angle (max 15 deg.) on Toshiba's site.
Is the lower straight line at the eye level?
Old 6th December 2012, 11:01   #6229
BHPian

Looking to buy a 40'' LCD/LED TV, Wi-fi enabled, HD ready or Full HD.

Budget - 40-50K (Lesser the better)
Preferred - Samsung

Need suggestions on best deals + outlets who offer the same.
Thanks

Last edited by Googleman : 6th December 2012 at 11:02.
Old 6th December 2012, 13:12   #6230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Even 42 looks like a monster to me
It is like getting a ticket of 'stall' in a theater. Perhaps 'balcony' seat is better for me.
That may be your personal issue so I do not want to comment on that but since the source is Toshiba, a premium brand, they wouldn't have posted unless lot of research has gone into it, so, I would trust them. Incidentally, I see TV from a very close distance. No. No sight issues with me. I have perfectly normal sight but my family / friends think I am weird to be watching from so close up. I always felt that comfort level is all in our head. Trust me, watch it from closer distance for a few days and you will get used to. No headaches , nothing. And now findings on Toshiba link only confrimed ( for me ) what I always believed in. I do not understand why most people prefer to sit so far away from TV. Even in theatres, people take last row seat whereas, it is the first row of balconey which is the optimum distance for maximum big screen effect with no discomfort. When I go to a movie, I always take first row of highest class.
Old 6th December 2012, 13:32   #6231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N
While this is an interesting link, my experience with SD transmission on a 1024x768 resolution Plasma screen viewed from a distance less than 8 feet was really not upto expectations.

Maybe the numbers are valid on Full HD with 1080p or 1080i transmissions?

Even 42 looks like a monster to me.
I have a 40" LCD in my room with a viewing distance of 9 feet. Seems perfect although i feel 46" would give the grand feel at the same distance.

I generally watch Full HD content, its unbearable to watch 480p after exposure to full HD.
Moreover no point in buying anything 46" onwards if viewing std definition.

You anyways need distance to view SD so that the blurry details are not visible and the picture looks good.

Adding 2-3 feet in distance for a 60" would be more than enough, anything more than that will take away the point of buying the large screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman
Looking to buy a 40'' LCD/LED TV, Wi-fi enabled, HD ready or Full HD.

Budget - 40-50K (Lesser the better)
Preferred - Samsung

Need suggestions on best deals + outlets who offer the same.
Thanks
UA40ES5600R it is. But is almost 10k over your budget @ 60k.Its available for 42k in the grey market.

Last edited by k2max6 : 6th December 2012 at 13:37.
Old 6th December 2012, 21:08   #6232
BHPian

The Toshiba recommendation makes lots of sense if you are looking for that grand cinematic experience. They have considered 40deg horizontal field of view, which is still a lot narrower than useful FOV of human beings. So it is certainly not off the mark.

A lot of us graduated from 21" CRT TV. So if we were to go for that Toshiba recommendation it might seem overwhelming. However, think about the larger than life effect we look for in movie theatres; the same can be had at home. This will be true for movies and few other content types. On the other hand, I wouldn't fancy watching news channels and documentaries at such magnification.
Old 6th December 2012, 22:29   #6233
BHPian

hi,

I managed to book Pana 50ST50 via Panasonic brandshop, made advance payment of 5k on 17/Nov ( to avail Diwali offer), This Monday the 3rd Dec got a call from dealer saying limited stock arrived and requested to make full payment to get the set delivered. I paid cheque same day, today I received delivery of the TV set, tomorrow installation guys are turning up. The packing seems to be from company no tampering or fiddling, fingers crossed, I intend to check on SRV tool.

Cost : 102000/-
Set : Pana Plasma 50ST50 ( includes pair of 3D glasses, wall-mount stand and standart AC cable, remote, batteries etc.)
Freebies : 1. MultiPrinter 2. Hungama vourcher worth 10K movies

I did ask multibrand outlets for this particular model and none had it but eager to sell me available stock.

Can someone please look at this serial number and make any sense? honestly I have no idea but the date of manufacture says Nov 12 and date of import as Dec 12. Sorry for bad quality of picture from phone.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-20121206240.jpg  

Old 7th December 2012, 00:25   #6234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post

UA40ES5600R it is. But is almost 10k over your budget @ 60k.Its available for 42k in the grey market.
That much of difference? Anyways, what is the drawback of buying it from grey market?
No Accessories and no warranty, anything else?
Also if at all I want to buy it from the grey market, where shoudl I go?
Old 7th December 2012, 07:48   #6235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
an someone please look at this serial number and make any sense? honestly I have no idea but the date of manufacture says Nov 12 and date of import as Dec 12. Sorry for bad quality of picture from phone.
Dont worry too much. Just check the total hours used post installation.

http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showth...2#.UMFP7-Q9NJk

Congrats on the ST50ST. A fantastic TV and with a little calibration the pictures will look gorgeous
Old 7th December 2012, 09:00   #6236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Dont worry too much. Just check the total hours used post installation.

http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showth...2#.UMFP7-Q9NJk

Congrats on the ST50ST. A fantastic TV and with a little calibration the pictures will look gorgeous

VW2010, can you please help me with calibrating my UT50 plasma. I read online but the more i read the more confused i am. So can you give some guidance on how to set up the perfect settings to extract the max clarity out of plasma?
Old 7th December 2012, 09:53   #6237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki

VW2010, can you please help me with calibrating my UT50 plasma. I read online but the more i read the more confused i am. So can you give some guidance on how to set up the perfect settings to extract the max clarity out of plasma?
I have done basic brightness and contrast calibration using AVSHD709 calibration disc of AVSforum. I have not been able to achieve reference white level. Black level is not a problem. Kindly note that I started calibration only after 200 hours of usage.

I am eager to know if anyone here has done colour calibration on the UT50.
Old 7th December 2012, 10:42   #6238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I have done basic brightness and contrast calibration using AVSHD709 calibration disc of AVSforum. I have not been able to achieve reference white level. Black level is not a problem. Kindly note that I started calibration only after 200 hours of usage.

I am eager to know if anyone here has done colour calibration on the UT50.

Why 200 hours? Is there something like "breaking-in" a TV?
Old 7th December 2012, 10:42   #6239
Senior - BHPian

I got an Oppo player a year back. It came with the Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu-ray disc. I am using this to calibrate my TV and it did came out very well.

As Guite said, i left the standard settings till over 200 hours. Even now i have not completely finished the disc. But thats where i would be heading this weekend to complete calibration.

The ST50ST is so good just out of the box that you rarely want calibration. For the pixel peepers and enthusiast you can enhance the image quality which others wont even be visible for many.
Old 7th December 2012, 10:56   #6240
Senior - BHPian

The date of manufacturing and the serial number itself can be cross checked with the inscription on the panel. The month of import is logical too, Dec does follow Nov. Stop over analyzing and start enjoying your purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerTrained View Post
Can someone please look at this serial number and make any sense? honestly I have no idea but the date of manufacture says Nov 12 and date of import as Dec 12. Sorry for bad quality of picture from phone.

Most Viewed