Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2013, 19:21   #6361
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post

Do you know of any good dealerships in Hosur which I can go check out? Someone mentioned that a 40 sony ex650 costs 62K in bangalore, and the same in TN costs about 54K. That is a huge difference.
Worth buying in TN certainly. Taxes in Karnataka are ridiculously high. Hosur however will not have much of a selection. Madras or even Coimbatore and Salem will be better. Even Pondicherry for that matter. Try the Viveks chain of stores.
Old 1st January 2013, 22:30   #6362
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
But not in a practical living room, right? My living room was designed not to need any artificial lighting from 6AM to 6PM. There is a (20') wall full of windows directly opposite the TV - no curtains! And I still get the same PQ all day and night. Reflections are a botheration in some positions, but not enough to kill the pleasure of watching.
And, please re-read my post - I said LEDs have unnatural picture, not LCDs. Even others feel the same.
LED or LCD are the same ,its just the light source(backlight or edgelit) behind the Liquid Crystal layer that is different.If anything LED version of LCD consumes less power and can potentially be even brighter.Local dimming LCDs however have better blacks vs EDGE lit LED-LCD or CCFL LCDs
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:13   #6363
Senior - BHPian

The conclusion is you can never convince a plasma fan that led or lcd is better nor vice versa.

To each his own. From the day plasma were in i am a fan of plasma. As a fan boy i have been adding plasma to my place, my in laws and my brothers.

I do love LED for their size, design and extra brightness it offers and my Brothers 46inch tv is a witness to my liking.

At the end between plasma and lec/lcd, i would always chose a plasma for its not bright and to my liking.
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:09   #6364
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Two pages of plasma v/s LED.

My observations (after visiting all stores around me; looking at a friend's plasma and my brother's LED).

1. The cheaper plasma panels appear grey to me (I call it washed out). e.g. UT50.
When this sits next to GT50, you realize that the black borders that you were seeing on UT50 while watching a SD transmission movie - were indeed grey in colour. You see black as black on GT50. LED's perform well here as well.

2. There are not many 42 inch options in LED. So comparing 40 incher LED with 42 incher Plasma or 46 incher LED with 42 incher plasma is unfair.

3. The UT50 cost is around Rs. 60K (42 inches size).
Since the brightness offered by this panel is low compared to LED, when you put 3D glasses, this will become an even bigger issue, since the glasses would cut down light significantly. Try this during day time. Night time should be fine.
(sagar can confirm this).

4. Now, jumping up the ladder, with GT50 (sadly, I have still not come across ST50 for side by side comparison). It has technology to cut the reflections. So, I have to agree with those who say, reflections are a problem with plasmas. Else why would Panasonic add the filter?
The UT50 panel reflects a lot more than the GT50 panel when kept side by side. I say this based on my experience in the showroom.

Now, GT50 costs more (Rs 88K). At that price, it is questionable if it is worth it. Will it be better to buy an 42 inch LED with the same feature set and save on electricity bills?
http://www.infibeam.com/TVs/i-LG-3D-...-42LM6700.html

I have seen the 6700 and it looks very good and shows good pictures as well.

5. During night, if you switch off lights and would like to watch movies, what would you choose?
I recon, if you come across night scenes, you will not be able to see much on an LED/ LCD.

Edit: Major drawbacks of plasma in my opinion:
1. Burn out
2. Image retention
3. Have to be very careful for the first 200 hours - cannot enjoy TV for the first 2 - 3 months.
4. Huge electricity bills.

Last edited by S_U_N : 2nd January 2013 at 15:11.
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:41   #6365
BHPian

^ actually the UT50 is a great tv. It beats 99% of all led tvs. But the problem is that you saw it in bright showroom lights where the blacks appear grey. Its dark room pic quality is excellent.

Cnet even goes to the extent of saying that mid range plasmas like the ut50 and st50 beat almost all the highest end flagship led tvs except for a few tvs like the sharp elite.

Burn in (not burn out) is a thing of the past. Image retention is just temporary and happens in crt, lcd, led and plasmas. Huge elwctricity bills are also a thing of the past. At most you will be spending 300-400 rupees extra per year and that too if you run your tv at full contrast and brightness (noone actually does that)

Last edited by M5_fan : 2nd January 2013 at 15:45.
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:52   #6366
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

^Well the showroom lights are relatively of low lumen's compared to the natural light of the sun.Unless one has a living room where they can control the light during day time ,the native better blacks of plasma cannot be perceived.

In my house the CFL bulb has no visible effect on the picture during night time,where as the Sun light can does cause a significant drop in contrast even if its a lcd with a matte panel.

I have not seen Image Retention or IR on LCD's since the 7 years i have owned nor have i seen personally on anyone else's lcd .But i see Image retention in plasmas even in showrooms,hospitals. Very very very rarely do i hear about Image Retention on LCD.

Where as the plasma has very active sticky thread in AVSforums under plasma tv section.There is some one always joining the thread and posting about their Image Retention experience.So for a average Joe the plasma will be last on their mind,since they would want a tv that just works and without the need for Break In period with slides.

Lastly i had posted links to pictures here regarding how the plasma and LCD behave under the same lighting conditions and also a detailed post in reply.But one of moderators has deleted and edited my really long post to just 2 lines without any explanation or notification.I even reported my own post to ask for a reason,but no response yet.
Old 2nd January 2013, 22:37   #6367
Distinguished - BHPian

I have not watched 3d on the ut50 so can't comment.

That comparison between ut and gt where you mentioned about black levels, well, that is because no tv on the shop floor is calibrated and all of them are pumped to max contrast. I have calibrated my tv now and I can say that the black levels as well as the general picture quality is way better than before. Maybe st series is better out of the box but with ut series properly calibrated it can match the st series easily .

About reflection, yes I agree that the ut series reflect hell lot of light. Its almost like a mirror . BUT, which happened to have a look at the Samsung led tv and it reflected light worse. The light reflection is a factor but not annoying at all. With proper curtains it can be eliminated .

At night, with all lights off, watching HD movie is sure nirvana on plasma.

Bottom line. A properly calibrated plasma Will provide immense viewing pleasure. The key here is calibration. That's all.
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:40   #6368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I have not watched 3d on the ut50 so can't comment.

That comparison between ut and gt where you mentioned about black levels, well, that is because no tv on the shop floor is calibrated and all of them are pumped to max contrast. I have calibrated my tv now and I can say that the black levels as well as the general picture quality is way better than before. Maybe st series is better out of the box but with ut series properly calibrated it can match the st series easily .

About reflection, yes I agree that the ut series reflect hell lot of light. Its almost like a mirror . BUT, which happened to have a look at the Samsung led tv and it reflected light worse. The light reflection is a factor but not annoying at all. With proper curtains it can be eliminated .

At night, with all lights off, watching HD movie is sure nirvana on plasma.

Bottom line. A properly calibrated plasma Will provide immense viewing pleasure. The key here is calibration. That's all.

Hi Sagar,

I own a P42UT50D too. I really love the TV because of it's Picture Quality and other features like the DLNA (to play movies off the network), Web-browser, Viera Market, and Youtube playback.
I have just configured the Brightness, Contrast, and Color according to my liking. I like the Contrast to be very low so that it dosnt hurt the eyes at all.
My question to all of you is, how do you do calibration ?
Is there a link which gives us the exact steps to do the calibration ?
If you can post this information it will be very useful.

Regards
Styler
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:09   #6369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi Sagar,

I own a P42UT50D too. I really love the TV because of it's Picture Quality and other features like the DLNA (to play movies off the network), Web-browser, Viera Market, and Youtube playback.
I have just configured the Brightness, Contrast, and Color according to my liking. I like the Contrast to be very low so that it dosnt hurt the eyes at all.

Regards
Styler
There are many guides on the internet on how to calibrate. Google up. One example would be THIS .

Most people recommend using a calibration disc . But since they are not available in India easily its better to do manual calibration. I suggest you run-in your TV for atleast 200 hours before attempting calibration. Also warm up your TV for an hour before doing calibration. Calibration gives best results when done in pitch dark room with nothing but TV switched on and you sitting some 6-7 feet away from it.Note that it can take multiple rounds till you get the proper picture quality.So be patient.
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:14   #6370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi Sagar,

Regards
Styler
If you want it according to your liking, no one can help. But just search if there are any that reviewers might have already done for your model. When most of us bought Panasonic PV42D, there was calibration already available as part of a reputed review site. The settings are neutral and for the way that they should match the way things are intended to look.

Last edited by srishiva : 3rd January 2013 at 12:17.
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:14   #6371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
Do you know of any good dealerships in Hosur which I can go check out? Someone mentioned that a 40 sony ex650 costs 62K in bangalore, and the same in TN costs about 54K. That is a huge difference.
You can check out in few of the shops like Sharptronics, Prakash, etc. There are some more shops, I forgot the name. These shops are behind the bus stand- take right turn at the signal before the flyover at Hosur jn. PM me if you need more information. When I bought a TV, there was a difference of ~ 17% compared to ezone price.
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:29   #6372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Now, GT50 costs more (Rs 88K).
That's a very high price you have been quoted. It is much cheaper than that. Where did you get the price from?
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:16   #6373
Senior - BHPian

^Mostly price is with the brandshops. There is marginal difference between this and outside dealers.
What price have you obtained? (VAT paid bill and 3 year warranty included offer only to be discussed)
Old 4th January 2013, 00:17   #6374
BHPian

A Friend of mine is look out for LED TV. He got an offer from a Sony 'Service Station', who said that they are willing to sell the 'Display TV' (one that is used in Store to show customers), for 30% discount, with Warranty. Is it a good deal to go for?
Old 4th January 2013, 09:54   #6375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He got an offer from a Sony 'Service Station', who said that they are willing to sell the 'Display TV' (one that is used in Store to show customers), for 30% discount, with Warranty. Is it a good deal to go for
\

I am going to save other from explaining..

simple answer is - No. Just get a new TV. Get a used on from your friends at even better discount than getting an used one from shop.

Search this thread and i am sure there are enough discussion around why you should avoid display pieces.

Most Viewed