Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 16:55   #5611
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

I actually did discuss the Pana 50ST50 with the Panasonic representative at the shop. He confirmed that the launch is scheduled to happen anytime now as they have the product ready to go. I have asked him to confirm the best price that he can secure for the ST series. He has indicated that he would be able to get the information by 21st (tomorrow). The moment I get it is the moment I'll share it..!
Old 21st June 2012, 11:20   #5612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyguy View Post
Folks, help on my query please? Thanks!
It depends on the contrast ratio of the Plasma you buy. I have a Samsung Plasma PN51D7000 and I have no problems watching with the window blinds open. If you can't block sunlight coming into the room it would be a better choice to go with an LED. If you intend to use more on the evenings and night a plasma would be suitable.

If you plan to connect a PC or laptop to the screen forget plasma. You will be a lot happier with the LED. But as far as I've seen brightness wise LED wins. Natural skin tones and black level wise Plasma wins.
Old 21st June 2012, 11:35   #5613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowardly Lion View Post
I actually did discuss the Pana 50ST50 with the Panasonic representative at the shop. He confirmed that the launch is scheduled to happen anytime now as they have the product ready to go. I have asked him to confirm the best price that he can secure for the ST series. He has indicated that he would be able to get the information by 21st (tomorrow). The moment I get it is the moment I'll share it..!
I've been quote 94K in Ahmedabad for the ST50. The set has received rave reviews world over and I am intending to look at the ST50 over 51E550 (I am getting it at 69K) even through the price difference.

Let me know what price you get and how many 3d glasses they provide.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:06   #5614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I know. The 42" was quoted at Rs. 44000. I guess it can go down even more.
Pancham,

The best price quote I have got for pana 42ST30 is 65K. If it is at 44K would not mind getting it shipped from your place
Old 21st June 2012, 12:56   #5615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp

It depends on the contrast ratio of the Plasma you buy. I have a Samsung Plasma PN51D7000 and I have no problems watching with the window blinds open. If you can't block sunlight coming into the room it would be a better choice to go with an LED. If you intend to use more on the evenings and night a plasma would be suitable.

If you plan to connect a PC or laptop to the screen forget plasma. You will be a lot happier with the LED. But as far as I've seen brightness wise LED wins. Natural skin tones and black level wise Plasma wins.
Guess LED it is then! Thanx a ton for the clarification!
Old 21st June 2012, 13:36   #5616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
Pancham,

The best price quote I have got for pana 42ST30 is 65K.
Lolz. I am not sure if it was the ST series. Yes it was a 42" plasma and the SP was desperate to sell it. Plus the store is so far from my house that I cant find time to pay it a second visit. DAMN they only have one Brandshop in the whole of West Bengal.
Old 21st June 2012, 13:49   #5617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I've been quote 94K in Ahmedabad for the ST50. The set has received rave reviews world over and I am intending to look at the ST50 over 51E550 (I am getting it at 69K) even through the price difference.

Let me know what price you get and how many 3d glasses they provide.
Have not yet been able to get a quote on the 50st50. I may just decide to wait for a month or two before I plunge in and this decision is based on the following -

1) Post release of 50ST50, the predecessor 50st30 will be available for less than 70K (current quote). By how much remains to be seen...

2) Even 50ST30 had got rave reviews so I'm ok with that...

3) Will be using the TV with a 7.1 Hi-Fi setup so the television speakers and any improvement thereupon is superfluous for me.

4) To be honest I don't think the picture will be vastly improved over the predecessor's and that the perceptible difference (if any) will be visible without a side by side comparison.

5) Maybe if the price of 60 or 65ST30 dives upon release of the new st50 series, I may just put in the extra money into the screen instead of the latest model..!
Old 21st June 2012, 15:28   #5618
BHPian

Has anyone checked out the recently launched Toshiba VL20 series? Its got all the bells and whistles its seems.
Old 21st June 2012, 15:29   #5619
Senior - BHPian

I have a 50" plasma hanging in my room, bang opposite is a window approximately 2.5 feet in width, 4 feet high, distance is 14 feet and slightly offset to the other side is a picture window of 6 feet in width & 4 feet in height. The smaller window reflects directly on to the screen and the bigger lets in a whole lot of light. The panel output does not suffer even a bit, of course you can see there is some difference on the plus side once the curtains are drawn. At night too with all of the lights on the PQ is great and with the lights off it is at a different level all together.

Sports & gaming = Plasma is a necessity. Also if you watch Discovery and NatGeo in HD especially programmes like Shoreline etc the plasma has no match. Similarly for movies with slightly or mostly dark lighting set ups.

Quote:
My dilemma is, since my bedroom has windows on two sides and therefore there is considerable amount of light inside the room during day even with the curtains, will a plasma be too dull for my room?
The usage will be loads of movies, gaming and cable ( mainly HD channels-sports and movies)

A member on the forum bought the 50ST30 for 84K from Krish electronics (Pana brand shop in Lajpat Nagar II) around January/February this year so 70 K is very feasible and yes it should drop further when the ST50 comes in provided stocks are there. The same dealer was offering the 42ST30 for 54K in May beginning, wonder what is the price now.

Quote:
Went to a shop in Delhi y'day. Panasonic 50ST30 was marked as under -

MRP - 1.19 Lacs
Marked for sale at 90,000/-
Final negotiated price - 70,000/- (for a single TV)

Will be discussing with my better half today and then take the decision....

Bikram

If it is indeed the 42ST30, I would pick it up as 42" stocks vanish pretty rapidly. It is advisable though, to check if the panel is fresh/packed/never opened or a demo piece.

Pancham could you call up the dealer and confirm the model.

Quote:
I know. The 42" was quoted at Rs. 44000. I guess it can go down even more.

That is a very high quote. In Bangalore you have several large outlets I am sure you can get very good pricing.

Quote:
The best price quote I have got for pana 42ST30 is 65K.

The ST by itself is a great panel. Infact during my search for a panel I chanced upon a 65ST30 displayed in one of the Pana brand shops at a mall in Saket. Over the next few days the sales staff had become friends as I watched the US open semis and finals at that shop I However had to settle for a 50" as my room is too small to accommodate a 65" Now let's see about buying a bigger house and maybe then .. Go for 65" and if buying from Croma or a Pana brand shop you can avail of 0% interest and 0 processing charge scheme from Bajaj Finance right there at the shop.

PQ between successive generations will be similar for cable and DTH viewing. The difference will be more pronounced in gaming especially with next gen consoles and more complex games as they are launched.

Quote:
Even 50ST30 had got rave reviews so I'm ok with that...

4) To be honest I don't think the picture will be vastly improved over the predecessor's and that the perceptible difference (if any) will be visible without a side by side comparison.

5) Maybe if the price of 60 or 65ST30 dives upon release of the new st50 series, I may just put in the extra money into the screen instead of the latest model..!
Old 21st June 2012, 15:37   #5620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I have a 50" plasma hanging in my room, bang opposite is a window approximately 2.5 feet in width, 4 feet high, distance is 14 feet and slightly offset to the other side is a picture window of 6 feet in width & 4 feet in height. The smaller window reflects directly on to the screen and the bigger lets in a whole lot of light. The panel output does not suffer even a bit, of course you can see there is some difference on the plus side once the curtains are drawn. At night too with all of the lights on the PQ is great and with the lights off it is at a different level all together.

Sports & gaming = Plasma is a necessity. Also if you watch Discovery and NatGeo in HD especially programmes like Shoreline etc the plasma has no match. Similarly for movies with slightly or mostly dark lighting set ups.

Wow, thats a lot of points for the Plasma!! I had almost tilted in the favour of LED but now plasma seems to be winning! Which one do you have if I may ask? Will surely have a look at that one..
Old 21st June 2012, 16:49   #5621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... The best price quote I have got for pana 42ST30 is 65K. If it is at 44K would not mind getting it shipped from your place
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
... That is a very high quote. In Bangalore you have several large outlets I am sure you can get very good pricing. ...
That 'best price' would have been a while back. The Rajajinagar brand shop quoted 59K last week, and that was before bargaining (not looking at buying that, so didn't bargain).

44K would have been for 42XT30. MRP of 42XT50 is 61K, and it has just reached shops.
Old 21st June 2012, 17:42   #5622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
That 'best price' would have been a while back. The Rajajinagar brand shop quoted 59K last week, and that was before bargaining (not looking at buying that, so didn't bargain).

44K would have been for 42XT30. MRP of 42XT50 is 61K, and it has just reached shops.
Are you sure? Because the model I saw was 50XT50 and was quoted 61K. I just cant recall if it was XT or X. I am 90% sure it was XT.
Old 21st June 2012, 17:49   #5623
Senior - BHPian

I have the 50VT20D. At the showroom try and adjust the tilt of the panel so that overhead lights are reflected in the panel or have the showroom guys put on the tvs on the opposite wall too. Satisfy yourself before diving in.

Quote:
Wow, thats a lot of points for the Plasma!! I had almost tilted in the favour of LED but now plasma seems to be winning! Which one do you have if I may ask? Will surely have a look at that one..
Old 21st June 2012, 19:36   #5624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure? Because the model I saw was 50XT50 and was quoted 61K. I just cant recall if it was XT or X. I am 90% sure it was XT.
Now that you say it ... My bad, 61K was (I think, must check once more) for the 50XT50 as you say.
Old 21st June 2012, 23:50   #5625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Now that you say it ... My bad, 61K was (I think, must check once more) for the 50XT50 as you say.
So then.. I think 61K is standard across all stores. I checked with another shop and they gave me a similar quote.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks