Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2012, 23:54   #5536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380
Anyone using PS2 on a HD TV? 22" LED to be specific? It works great with PS3. Want to know about PS2.
PS2 games are better viewed in a CRT than any of the HDTVs. Ps3 is best viewed in full HD TVs.
Old 11th June 2012, 10:10   #5537
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
1. If you get a bigger size on the plasma, the image would look soft and bad irrespective of the resolution of the TV.

2. 1080i is the format of HD on my Airtel HD DVR

For Samsung at least it happens on the the PC, atleast that's where the allshare server runs.
Thanks for the clarification on resolution and HD broadcast.

As explained in the Samsung support page it seems videos are streamed from the PC. In that case so long as you have all the codecs installed in you PC you can play any video file, be it mkv, h.264, flv, etc, right?

Is the streaming from PC implemented in other brands as well? Input from Panasonic users will be most appreciated. I am very keen on this because: (a) I am actively considering Panasonic, and (b) it has media player built-in in TV.
Old 11th June 2012, 10:48   #5538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Thanks for the clarification on resolution and HD broadcast.

As explained in the Samsung support page it seems videos are streamed from the PC. In that case so long as you have all the codecs installed in you PC you can play any video file, be it mkv, h.264, flv, etc, right?

Is the streaming from PC implemented in other brands as well? Input from Panasonic users will be most appreciated. I am very keen on this because: (a) I am actively considering Panasonic, and (b) it has media player built-in in TV.
To answer this in a simple way :
* DLNA server (PC) : Typically a software running on PC provides the same media in different formats
* DLNA client (TV) : will play contents provided by DLNA server. (This must have a media player by the way without that how can it play the content?)

Panasonic and Samsung and almost all other manufacturers support DLNA but not on all the sets. So you should ensure that your TV is DLNA certified irrespective of the brand you choose.
Old 11th June 2012, 13:55   #5539
Distinguished - BHPian

Been looking for P42U30D (full HD, no 3D), seems out of stock everywhere! Now I am considering P42UT30D. The best quote I have got so far is 50k, from Panny Brandshops. Is this a good price or should I push for more?

Last edited by Dry Ice : 11th June 2012 at 13:56.
Old 11th June 2012, 14:17   #5540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice
Been looking for P42U30D (full HD, no 3D), seems out of stock everywhere! Now I am considering P42UT30D. The best quote I have got so far is 50k, from Panny Brandshops. Is this a good price or should I push for more?
UT50 series is launching soon. You should get that instead of a UT30.
Old 11th June 2012, 16:04   #5541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
UT50 series is launching soon. You should get that instead of a UT30.
Thanks M5_fan. Is there a significant improvement in the PQ/features of 2012 models vs. the 2011 models? Also, any idea about the expected price? I was hoping to get a better discount on the older models as the newer ones are just around the corner. Dealers would be looking to clear their stocks.

However, if there are any substantial improvements without a matching significant price hike, I might just wait a week (or 2) more.
Old 11th June 2012, 16:53   #5542
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks M5_fan. Is there a significant improvement in the PQ/features of 2012 models vs. the 2011 models? Also, any idea about the expected price? I was hoping to get a better discount on the older models as the newer ones are just around the corner. Dealers would be looking to clear their stocks.

However, if there are any substantial improvements without a matching significant price hike, I might just wait a week (or 2) more.
Price is same/similar of 2012 models vs 2011 models.
As far as the PQ goes, there is no comparison. The 2012 models are way way better. The UT 50 offers even better PQ and deeper than the 2011 most expensive flagship model, i think it was VT30.

Also this UT50 plasma has amazing PQ, much better than the equivalent LED tvs and even more expensive ones, highly recommended buy over any if those stupid LED TVs (i happen to own one and also one LCD but sadly no plasma :( )

Check out the review of UT 50 on cnet. it even has 3D and 2D to 3D conversion although the 3d quality is not that great.

It however may take more than a couple of months to launch. The XT 50 and X50 were launched here in delhi about 8-9 days back.

Last edited by M5_fan : 11th June 2012 at 17:06.
Old 11th June 2012, 18:10   #5543
Senior - BHPian

You've got to be kidding. The plasma panels on the UT & XT are nowhere even close to the ST in terms of PQ, colour, tone rendering, VT being in the stratosphere. The XT50 that I have seen in the local brand shop is no match for the ST30 which itself fades in front of the VT30 which are displayed right next to each other. The VT series be it 20 or 30 is several leagues ahead of the ST itself and U/UT lags with the X/XT following, why would this be any different in the 50 series.

Quote:
As far as the PQ goes, there is no comparison. The 2012 models are way way better. The UT 50 offers even better PQ and deeper than the 2011 most expensive flagship model, i think it was VT30.
Old 11th June 2012, 18:26   #5544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj
You've got to be kidding. The plasma panels on the UT & XT are nowhere even close to the ST in terms of PQ, colour, tone rendering, VT being in the stratosphere. The XT50 that I have seen in the local brand shop is no match for the ST30 which itself fades in front of the VT30 which are displayed right next to each other. The VT series be it 20 or 30 is several leagues ahead of the ST itself and U/UT lags with the X/XT following, why would this be any different in the 50 series.
I am comparing the UT 50 (2012) with VT 30 (2011). I have seen the two working side by side at the corporate office of panasonic in gurgaon. You have to see it to believe it.

Although the VT 50 (2012) is superbly awesome and the UT is no match for it. Its (vt50) almost as good as a Kuro.

Last edited by M5_fan : 11th June 2012 at 18:34.
Old 11th June 2012, 18:49   #5545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Price is same/similar of 2012 models vs 2011 models... It however may take more than a couple of months to launch. The XT 50 and X50 were launched here in delhi about 8-9 days back.
That will be a long wait! The 42UT30D was selling for 57-58k around last November, so my guess is if there is a substantial difference in PQ, there will be atleast some increment in the retail price and thus the newer models will not sell for less than 60k for at least a few initial months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Is the 42UT30D that bad? I found it quite good for normal viewing as well as for HD content. Couldn't check the 3D performance. Or is it just that the others are way too good? I will check out the ST too then, missed it out today.

Meanwhile...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
The best quote I have got so far is 50k, from Panny Brandshops. Is this a good price or should I push for more?
Got another quote of 48k on call, will pay them a visit tomorrow, check out the nitty gritty and other freebies before finalizing.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 11th June 2012 at 18:54. Reason: correcting typo
Old 11th June 2012, 18:51   #5546
BHPian

Quote:
That will be a long wait! The 42UT30D was selling for 57-58k around last November, so my guess is if there is a substantial difference in PQ, there will be atleast some increment in the retail price and thus the newer models will not sell for less than 60k for at least a few initial months.

Is the 42UT30D that bad? I found is quite good for normal viewing as well as for HD content. Couldn't check the 3D performance. Or is it just that the others are way too good? I will check out the ST too then, missed it out today.

Meanwhile...

Got another quote of 48k on call, hoping to visit and check out the nitty gritty and other freebies before finalizing.
^ sorry there was a typo in my previous post. I meant "more than a couple of weeks" and NOT "more than a couple of months".

Meanwhile read this http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...5153392-2.html

Last edited by M5_fan : 11th June 2012 at 18:54.
Old 11th June 2012, 19:28   #5547
Senior - BHPian

I did not mean it that way. What I do mean is that in comparison to the ST and the VT panels there is a marked difference. If one were to watch a football or golf game there is a progressive difference in the amount of detail from one series to the next especially when the camera pans towards the crowds. The difference is more marked when viewing a city's night skyline or say a top down/ sky shot of a green/forested area. The VT panel with its THX mode is a delight especially for darkish scenes wherein one can make out the different shades of black in a given scene or the variance in depth within the given frame. I am told the differences are far more obvious when these panels are used to play games via PS, Xbox, Wii and the like.

Viewed on it's own the UT is a very good panel especially at the price point it sells at and any day superior to some other makes of Plasma which in turn are far better than most LCD/LED panels. My views are based solely for normal tv broadcast HD or otherwise and not on 3D rendering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Is the 42UT30D that bad? I found it quite good for normal viewing as well as for HD content. Couldn't check the 3D performance. Or is it just that the others are way too good? I will check out the ST too then, missed it out today.
Old 11th June 2012, 19:41   #5548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
^ sorry there was a typo in my previous post. I meant "more than a couple of weeks" and NOT "more than a couple of months".

Meanwhile read this Panasonic TC-P50UT50 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review - page 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I did not mean it that way. What I do mean is that in comparison to the ST and the VT panels there is a marked difference. ...
Viewed on it's own the UT is a very good panel especially at the price point it sells at and any day superior to some other makes of Plasma which in turn are far better than most LCD/LED panels. My views are based solely for normal tv broadcast HD or otherwise and not on 3D rendering.
Exactly. The PQ seems a lot more natural on the plasma, thats why I am inclined towards picking up a Panny plasma. Will definitely look up the VT series too.

Thanks guys for your inputs.
Old 11th June 2012, 22:21   #5549
BHPian

Quote:

Exactly. The PQ seems a lot more natural on the plasma, thats why I am inclined towards picking up a Panny plasma. Will definitely look up the VT series too.

Thanks guys for your inputs.
VT is very very expensive (read : lacs of rupees). Not recommended unless a TV is the most important thing in your life or you have a lot of dough to spend. Lol.
Old 12th June 2012, 12:14   #5550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla
Plasma/LED @ 42/47"

I am also would like to dive into buying new TV. My LG 21" TV is doing its duty from past 12 years! Still running strong! Considering for first 8 years it would have ran around 8 ~ 10 hours daily, guess it served me well!

I would be buying TV in festive season (either Dasara or in Devali).

My questions is

1) Is it worth to buy plasma? Yes it has awesome. But isn't current gen LED also have same quality?
2) Isn't Plasma consumes too much power when compared LED? Or should I consider upfront cost on LED won't break even for some years to come?
3) I still prefer to go with LG, because most appliance served us well. And Plasma is not one LG plus point.

Our usage is watching TV, using STB gradually moving to HD. And more like connecting to PC using WLAN. 3D and other gimmick may not be useful for me.

Members any thoughts?

1. Plasmas offer much better PQ. Sure there are some LEDs that offer similar PQ but they are all 1.5 Lacs and above. A 42-43 plasma can cost as low as 35000.

2. A 40 inch LED consumes 100 W of power, a 42 inch plasma consumes double of that. But that means that you spend just a few hundreds or a thousand rupees extra per year if you buy a plasma.

3. Wont really recommend LG plasmas. Panasonic are the best plasma display manufacturers. They also offer 3 yr warranty, panels are made in japan. Also they bought put pioneer and its patents. Pioneers were the best plasmas during those days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks