Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:07   #5401
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
There are two ways to playback media using laptop:

2) Make your laptop a media server (DLNA)

-ves
The actual playback capability depends on what your TV can handle. For example my Pana Plasma cannot playback MKV correctly in this fashion.
are you sure of the .mkv thing? I think it should be to do with the media server. For example, on a normal TV, I use my PS3 for playing movies on the TV.

I use two media Servers - a.) Default Windows7 b.) PS3 Media Server

The default windows cannot play mkv but PS3 media server works like a charm. Hence its to do with media server and not the TV's capabilities I think.
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:17   #5402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
are you sure of the .mkv thing? I think it should be to do with the media server. For example, on a normal TV, I use my PS3 for playing movies on the TV.

I use two media Servers - a.) Default Windows7 b.) PS3 Media Server

The default windows cannot play mkv but PS3 media server works like a charm. Hence its to do with media server and not the TV's capabilities I think.
Well i agree with you on that. I gave MKV just as an example. Ideally the media server software should transcode the video to the format supported by the TV. But from my personal experience i have found problems with playing back some content(apart from MKVs) which playback fine in Windows media player, but are problamatic (e.g play back stops abruptly etc) when played back through my Pana plasma via Windows 7 media server.

So my point is, if your TV itself has support for variety of formats,the experience would be much better as transcoding can be skipped.

P.S : I do have a resonably powerful machine. So its not that my CPU is being slow at transcoding.

Last edited by djkher : 3rd April 2012 at 16:19.
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:29   #5403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Hey guys need some help. Has anyone bought Tvs from ebay india?? I was interested in this tv SONY BRAVIA KDL-46CX520 LCD TV WITH BILL +DEALER WARNTY | eBay because it cost way lower than what the dealers in Goa are selling!(around 66k!!).Before i contact the seller i wanted to know from you'll guys about warranty and returns! What is dealers warranty(any negatives??)?? I have never bought something is expensive from any online store, hence my apprehensions
If all goes well then my friend too will Buy a tv with me

If this has been explained in some previous post then please excuse me!

Thanks!
Please do not buy this. They are grey market products without warranty. There are lot of reviews on the internet how worse these products are. Google the ebay Shop name in internet and make a wise decision of not to buy these products.
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:44   #5404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Could you please tell me where you saw such an adapter? I searched a whole day and the only thing i found out was;

1. VGA is analog, HDMI is digital --> meaning conversion impossible

2. Converters which claimed to do analog to digital conversion were listed as above 100$, which is pointless.

My tv is the old crt type and my laptop has HDMI only. A VGA out and HDMI input would be a dream come true in my case..
Do not remember where but this is what it had
1. VGA to RBG
2. RBG to HDMI (video only)

no idea of its cost
here are a few links from google
VGA to HDMI converter with Audio
Buy VGA to HDMI Converter Connect Laptop / PC to LCD/Plasma Price:Rate VGA VGA Delhi NCR INDIA Shops:Best:Cheap:Current Online Computer Market Nehru Place
Buy.com - GTMax VGA+Component Video Ypbpr+3.5mm Audio to HDMI Converter
as you said they are expensive.
Old 4th April 2012, 16:53   #5405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Congrats on the buy mate.

Have a few queries I'd like to ask, if its alright.

1. Was 3D the sole deciding factor?
3. Did you compare LG and Samsung panels? If yes, then what are your views on that?
1. Yes 3D was one of the primary factor to upgrade, but not at the cost of 2D picture quality. In fact all the high end 3D TVs should do well with 2D since 3D requires much more complicated hardware specs.
2. I found the Samsung panels to be slightly more sleeker but thats about it. In terms of the thinness both are equally good. I was never really interested in Samsung because of active 3D. In terms of the 2D PQ samsung and lg were almost identical.
Old 6th April 2012, 19:41   #5406
BHPian

How are panasonic LEDs? Specifically has anybody got TH-L42E30D?
Old 6th April 2012, 23:49   #5407
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
How are panasonic LEDs? Specifically has anybody got TH-L42E30D?
This model is good and was one of the models I considered buying. But the picture quality (PQ) of the Plasma just blew me away and I bought the TH-P42ST30D (also has 3D).
My suggestion would be to visit the Panasonic Brand store and compare these 2 models, see for yourself and decide ! Price wise also these should be pretty close (don't look at MRP alone, ask for best price and also ask around and check on the net to negotiate for the best deal), for example I paid 60K for the P42ST30D that was listed at 82.9K MRP. Also got 1 additional 3D glass free.
Old 7th April 2012, 00:14   #5408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV
I bought the TH-P42ST30D (also has 3D).
I paid 60K for the P42ST30D that was listed at 82.9K MRP. Also got 1 additional 3D glass free.
I had not considered plasma because of the said increased power consumption. I think I should have a second look.
At Reliance digital, I could see different brands side by side. I felt Samsung has the best PQ. But somehow I don't like the Koreans so will most probably settle for Panasonic.
82.9k to 60k is fantastic bargaining ability!!
Old 7th April 2012, 15:20   #5409
BHPian

After going through pages here and other forums for a 3d/full HD tv, the fight was narrowed down between panasonic VIERA TH-P50ST30D (88k lowest quote) and samsung Ps51D550 (65k lowest quote)
Had almost made mind to go with samsung (cost/vfm factors) I got another good deal for Samsung 3d led UA46D7000LM (1L INR no bill no warranty but sealed piece from trusted source)

Now the dilemma, is price for the samsung led worth it? 4 inches short but the TV has very good reviews and look factor is wow!
My set up is Airtel dth hd/PS3/Denon 1312xp htb with Bluray movies/Dvds/Games.
Old 8th April 2012, 10:43   #5410
Team-BHP Support

World first 4K Home Theater @ 13.99L. (SBy Sony)

Sony unveils world?s first 4K home theatre projector at Rs.13.99 lakh - Tech2.com -
Old 8th April 2012, 12:43   #5411
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
I had not considered plasma because of the said increased power consumption. I think I should have a second look.
At Reliance digital, I could see different brands side by side. I felt Samsung has the best PQ. But somehow I don't like the Koreans so will most probably settle for Panasonic.
82.9k to 60k is fantastic bargaining ability!!
For me, the increased power consumption was not so much of a concern due to our usual low usage. Also, Plasma will not have motion blur so it's great for Sports and action movies. I would suggest going to a multibrand outlet for cross-brand side by side comparisons. For Panasonic LED Vs Plasma just go to the Panasonic Brand Shop.
Regarding the bargaining, not really surprising since Panasonic does price their products on the higher side so this is common. The lowest price I could find on the net was about 62K, the additional 3D glass (MRP 5K) was really the difference.

Last edited by NPV : 8th April 2012 at 12:45.
Old 8th April 2012, 14:17   #5412
BHPian

i am planing to buy tv for my bedroom.as the viewing distance is 18-20 feet i need more than 46 inches.as my usage is very low i am considering grey market 50 inch panasonic plasma.am getin one for 48k.is it good deal or shoud i consider something different??
Old 9th April 2012, 12:30   #5413
Senior - BHPian

The 50X30D is a great TV. You should get it for 46k in grey.
Old 9th April 2012, 15:38   #5414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
The 50X30D is a great TV. You should get it for 46k in grey.
How much will it cost with bill & warranty? And what if the grey market purchase conks off and needs repair?
Old 9th April 2012, 18:38   #5415
Senior - BHPian

Official price is 55k. Obviously there is no support for any grey market plasmas. If anything goes wrong, you have to bear whatever costs it might incur. However I've found Panasonic plasmas to be quite hassle free. Of the 100s that I have installed, not one has come up with any manufacturing defect, or any problem in the long run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks