Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2012, 14:19   #5491
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
All seem same to you?
By same I meant the quality provided by these brands are at par with each other and there is nothing much to differentiate between a LCD costing say 32k from LG or SAMSUNG. The picture and sound quality seems the same. SONY commands say a 2k-5k premium over the SAMSUNG/LG/PANASONIC of the same spec.

Obviously there is a difference between a 40 inch and a 32 inch ..as is the difference between a series 3 or a series 5 (in Samsung). I hope I am clear.
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:03   #5492
BHPian

There has been lots of praise for Panasonic Plasma. Samsung is supposed to have made great strides in display technology. I have been impressed by their LED TVs in showroom display. So my big question:

In sheer picture quality which is better: Panasonic Plasma or Samsung LED?
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:26   #5493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite
There has been lots of praise for Panasonic Plasma. Samsung is supposed to have made great strides in display technology. I have been impressed by their LED TVs in showroom display. So my big question:

In sheer picture quality which is better: Panasonic Plasma or Samsung LED?
Without a single aorta of doubt, its Panasonic in plasma, top model to top model. But I would still go out and buy a Samsung for the sheer value it offers (I was offered 46" plasma at 44k recently at Gaffar)
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:58   #5494
Distinguished - BHPian

Lip Sync issue with LG LW6500 with Airtel HD

Hi Guys,

Since yesterday I observed lip sync issue on certain HD channels (primarily on Movies NOW HD and Star Movies HD) - I have LG 42LW6500 and Airtel HD STB (made by Huawei).

Some observations:
1. While History HD was showing perfect lip sync, Movies NOW HD was big time out of sync.
2. Sometimes the Colors HD and Zee TV HD displayed lip sync issues, sometimes not.
3. I turned ON the AV Sync feature and adjusted the TV SPeaker to -5 (I was trying out, I do not know what these values technically mean). It brought no improvement to Movies NOW HD and Star Movies HD at all. However, if I set it to +15 (just to see if it does anything at all), the Colours HD and Zee TV HD developed lip sync problem!

This is really annoying.
Does anyone know how to fix this?
Is this an issue with Set Top Box or the TV?

Note: Just a couple of days ago, I watched a whole movie on Movies NOW HD and there was no issue!
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:37   #5495
BHPian

I am planning to buy a basic 19" LCD for my bedroom.

Can this double as a monitor for my laptop as well ?
Old 23rd May 2012, 20:19   #5496
BHPian

Are there any Full HD LED available below 30" (Sony/Samsung/LG)?
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:00   #5497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet

Yes. Most laptop has VGA out, that how it connects to projectors for presentation. And most flat panel TV has VGA in (d-sub), look out for it. However note that it is only for video.
Old 23rd May 2012, 23:18   #5498
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Are there any Full HD LED available below 30" (Sony/Samsung/LG)?
I believe it's not worth looking for Full HD in models below 42".
Do try and compare same sized screens with HD Ready (720p) and Full HD (1080p) on models below 42" and it will be very difficult to find any/much difference at all in picture quality.
Old 24th May 2012, 21:06   #5499
BHPian

I am bent towards plasma TV for the picture quality. However my usage will involve 4:3 feed half the time. I don't want to watch distorted picture, so it will have black bars on both sides when watching 4:3 content. So should I be worried about picture burn-in?
Old 24th May 2012, 23:01   #5500
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I am bent towards plasma TV for the picture quality. However my usage will involve 4:3 feed half the time. I don't want to watch distorted picture, so it will have black bars on both sides when watching 4:3 content. So should I be worried about picture burn-in?
I don't think the black bars can ever cause burn-in since the pixels are off in that area when producing the black colour.
The main concern for burn-in is from static images over long periods of time like the channel logos. That said, the newer TV's have come a long way in terms of building intelligence to prevent burn-in. Also, chance for this is quite minimal since it takes usually 12+ continuous hours of watching the same channel for burn-in to occur.
Here's a link that may be a good read for how to run-in Plasma TV's:
Pioneer Plasma-TV FAQ
Old 25th May 2012, 11:04   #5501
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
First of all, Kudos to you on choosing to watch the SD feed at original aspect ratio with black bars on both side. I do the same, and I get disappointed when I visit friends who keep watching SD channels in streched "fit to screen" mode.

Regarding burn-in due to black bars - it will be good to check how Panasonic implements "black" - if it is by purely by dimming then it should be OK. I have heard great praise for their "Infinite black Pro" stuff. I know the LED TVs have local dimming which is a good thing.

Also, another important thing to check out before the purchase is "lip sync" - it's an underrated problem but actually gets very very annoying. My LG does not seem to offer any menu to effectively correct the lip sync. Check the Panasonic range to see if they have model with highly adjustable lip sync control. I heard some models supports automatic lip sync, but I am not sure if this is technically possible (if the feed/input signal does not have any AV sync timestamps, what can the TV do?).

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 25th May 2012 at 11:05.
Old 26th May 2012, 00:09   #5502
BHPian

I have directed my query to Panasonic by mail. After an automated reply, someone wrote back asking for contact info saying the subject needs detailed discussion. Waiting for more them to call back.
Old 26th May 2012, 03:44   #5503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post

Why 19" when you can have a 22 incher L.E.D.
Samsung has recently Launched a new, cheaper 22 inch LED TV
earlier their cheaper 22 inch LED didn't had D-SUB connectivity and movie playback, but now they have both.
check this Link

I am planning to buy 2 of these in coming days, waiting for some room modification to get completed first.
I too plan to use them as laptop monitor.
Old 26th May 2012, 10:02   #5504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Why 19" when you can have a 22 incher L.E.D.
Samsung has recently Launched a new, cheaper 22 inch LED TV
earlier their cheaper 22 inch LED didn't had D-SUB connectivity and movie playback, but now they have both.
check this Link

I am planning to buy 2 of these in coming days, waiting for some room modification to get completed first.
I too plan to use them as laptop monitor.
thanks for sharing this link - looks like it is available in flipkart or 16K
Old 28th May 2012, 23:20   #5505
BHPian

Over the weekend I went window shopping for Panasonic plasma TV. Below are a few of my observations.

2012 models with suffix 50 (example P42ST50) are slowing coming in and replacing 2011 models (suffix 30). Since newer models are obviously improved and better featured, it might make sense to wait a month or so. Flip side is price may be higher.

Contrary to the popularity of Panasonic plasmas in this thread, multi brand showrooms hardly display it. At Jumbo, it was in an obscure corner; at Reliance Digital it was just one piece, that too the lowest model; at Croma it was not even there. All showrooms were just full of LEDs, mostly Samsung, LG and Sony. I find this very odd. Anybody care to rationalise this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks