Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 13:54   #5596
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Congratulations on the new tv. Could you post a few pictures showing off the bezel etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Yesterday I bought Toshiba 46PS20. 46" Full HD LED Tv for Rs.56000. I would recommend this TV anyday.

Do you mean passive glasses? if so then LG has them. If you mean no glasses at all that is not about to happen anytime soon or should I say at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Are there any 3D TV's which do not require special glasses?

Not to take anything away but last year around Diwali, Panasonic's 50VT20D were sold off by the dozens at an effective price of 62K. It was all started by some members of an audio/video oriented forum negotiating deals with large retail chains in Bangalore untill the best deal was worked out by members with a Croma Zip store in Dilli. This was then matched/honored by Croma stores across the country. Of course the members pitched in too by posting their bills online thereby making the deal go viral. Per a Panasonic insider close to 200 sets were sold in Dilli alone within 3 weeks. Of course this was an outgoing flagship model of 2010 and you are talking of latest 2012 model(s).

Hopefully that episode has opened the eyes of Panasonic boffins to the volumes that can be achieved with realistic pricing and maybe we are beginning to see the end of 'Premium' pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys my Pana Plasma dreams have been revived.

EDIT : I have never seen a 50" T.V with 3D for Rs. 69900 that too a newly launched 2012 model.

Last edited by khoj : 19th June 2012 at 13:58.
Old 19th June 2012, 17:12   #5597
Senior - BHPian

I am considering Sony 46HX750 LED against Panasonic 50ST50 Plasma.

The prime usage will be Cable tv by my mother followed by 2-3 movies and 4-5 hours of Xbox by me.

Which should I go for?

Last edited by devarshi84 : 19th June 2012 at 17:14.
Old 19th June 2012, 18:19   #5598
Senior - BHPian

While it is comparing apples to oranges, get LED for your mother and a plasma for the Xbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Which should I go for?
Old 19th June 2012, 21:25   #5599
BHPian

Hi guys, I am planning to buy a new TV for my room since my old Sony 32" Bravia V Series has been shifted to parents' room. I was pretty sure about going for a 46" Sony HX 750/EX 720 untill I went through the posts here and on the internet about the superior picture quality of Plasmas. So now I am confused as to which one to go for.

My dilemma is, since my bedroom has windows on two sides and therefore there is considerable amount of light inside the room during day even with the curtains, will a plasma be too dull for my room? Will LED, being bright and all be a better choice for my room? Not that I will always watch TV during day, but there surely will be movie sessions on weekends during day time.
The usage will be loads of movies, gaming and cable ( mainly HD channels-sports and movies)
Old 19th June 2012, 23:57   #5600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hopefully that episode has opened the eyes of Panasonic boffins to the volumes that can be achieved with realistic pricing and maybe we are beginning to see the end of 'Premium' pricing.
I guess you are right. The other problem is there aren't any other store where 2012 Pana Plasmas are available so that I can compare the preices. All shops have a decent amount of old stock Plasmas left. This is because every shop I entered and this includes the Pana Brandshop, the sales guy insisted on 2011 models claiming that there is no change in the new and old models. Is it true BTW(that there is no change in the old and new models)?
Old 20th June 2012, 11:06   #5601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the sales guy insisted on 2011 models claiming that there is no change in the new and old models. Is it true BTW(that there is no change in the old and new models)?
Of course not, but one thing is sure - you will get fantastic discounts on 2011 models so if you like any of them are happy with the picture quality, go ahead and buy it. To get similar discounts on 2012 range, you may have to wait till May/June 2013...
Old 20th June 2012, 12:13   #5602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Of course not, but one thing is sure - you will get fantastic discounts on 2011 models so if you like any of them are happy with the picture quality, go ahead and buy it. To get similar discounts on 2012 range, you may have to wait till May/June 2013...
Haha now you have confused me. Why am I even looking for 2012 models then? BTW I read somewhere (not sure how true is that) that 2012 models have better PQ than 2011 models. And another thing is that hardly any store has 2011 models on display so checking out the PQ goes out of the window. What do you suggest?
Old 20th June 2012, 12:31   #5603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Haha now you have confused me. Why am I even looking for 2012 models then? BTW I read somewhere (not sure how true is that) that 2012 models have better PQ than 2011 models. And another thing is that hardly any store has 2011 models on display so checking out the PQ goes out of the window. What do you suggest?
From what I have researched, if you are dead sure you want Plasma, then Panasonic is the best. So if you can check out the ST30 series in any of the stores and if you are happy with what you see, just go ahead and bargain for a deal. Of course, 2012 technology will be superior to 2011, but will come at a cost. And that does not necessarily mean 2011 panels are a waste. Believe your eyes only.

And just in case it helps - I was looking for a flat panel TV for some months and in the first week of May I bought a 2011 model even though 2012 was "officially" launched in some media event justa day before which meant those would be in the stores in a month or two - reasons:
1. 2012 range will command premium - at least for next fe months
2. 2012 range will be hidden in the warehouses until they clear 2011 stock
3. 2011 models will be avaliable at never before discounts

It's a different matter that I bought LG LED though I started with the intention of buying Panasonic plasma. But even within the LG range, the 42LW6500 that I bought was generally sold at @90K over last few months and but I could bargain for 78K.

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 20th June 2012 at 12:41.
Old 20th June 2012, 12:46   #5604
BHPian

Went to a shop in Delhi y'day. Panasonic 50ST30 was marked as under -

MRP - 1.19 Lacs
Marked for sale at 90,000/-
Final negotiated price - 70,000/- (for a single TV)

Will be discussing with my better half today and then take the decision....

Bikram
Old 20th June 2012, 13:47   #5605
BHPian

Quote:
I guess you are right. The other problem is there aren't any other store where 2012 Pana Plasmas are available so that I can compare the preices. All shops have a decent amount of old stock Plasmas left. This is because every shop I entered and this includes the Pana Brandshop, the sales guy insisted on 2011 models claiming that there is no change in the new and old models. Is it true BTW(that there is no change in the old and new models)?
It is not possible that a reputed company launches same old product as a new series in subsequent year. If it were the case it would mean that the company stopped R&D for the last one year, which is unimaginable. Even car companies launch new models with cosmetic gimmicks.

A quick check indicates that 2012 models use G15 panels and have higher contrast ratios. I have also noticed that video codec support is wider (more formats supported). I have not done an exhaustive comparison.
Old 20th June 2012, 13:49   #5606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowardly Lion View Post
Went to a shop in Delhi y'day. Panasonic 50ST30 was marked as under -

MRP - 1.19 Lacs
Marked for sale at 90,000/-
Final negotiated price - 70,000/- (for a single TV)

Will be discussing with my better half today and then take the decision....

Bikram
Is it possible for you to check the price for Panasonic Viera 50ST50 plasma? It is the next version of 50ST30.
Old 20th June 2012, 15:08   #5607
BHPian

Folks, help on my query please? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyguy View Post
Hi guys, I am planning to buy a new TV for my room since my old Sony 32" Bravia V Series has been shifted to parents' room. I was pretty sure about going for a 46" Sony HX 750/EX 720 untill I went through the posts here and on the internet about the superior picture quality of Plasmas. So now I am confused as to which one to go for.

My dilemma is, since my bedroom has windows on two sides and therefore there is considerable amount of light inside the room during day even with the curtains, will a plasma be too dull for my room? Will LED, being bright and all be a better choice for my room? Not that I will always watch TV during day, but there surely will be movie sessions on weekends during day time.
The usage will be loads of movies, gaming and cable ( mainly HD channels-sports and movies)
Old 20th June 2012, 16:11   #5608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Believe your eyes only.

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
It is not possible that a reputed company launches same old product as a new series in subsequent year. If it were the case it would mean that the company stopped R&D for the last one year, which is unimaginable. Even car companies launch new models with cosmetic gimmicks.

A quick check indicates that 2012 models use G15 panels and have higher contrast ratios. I have also noticed that video codec support is wider (more formats supported). I have not done an exhaustive comparison.
Thanks for the valuable input guys. I would love to pick 2011 models for huge discounts but the problem is there are no models on display so believing my eyes is out of question. Only one 42 " Plasma was on display at the brandshop. At first we were looking for 42" only but after I saw the 50" at that kind of price I just cant be a happy man if I get a 42" home. Why cant they just put the old models on display and get rid of them.

Last edited by Pancham : 20th June 2012 at 16:37.
Old 20th June 2012, 16:28   #5609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the valuable input guys. I would love to pick 2011 models for huge discounts but the problem is there are no models on display so believing my eyes is out of question. Only a 42 " Plasma was on display at the brandshop. At first we were looking for 42" only but after I saw the 50" at that kind of price I just cant be happy man if I get a 42" home.
42ST30 will have same performance as say 50ST30 (except for the fact that it will need larger viewing distance). Have demo of the 42" panel till your heart is filled and then bargain for the 50" panel of the same range. Just look at the discount figures being posted by fellow members.
Old 20th June 2012, 16:35   #5610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
42ST30 will have same performance as say 50ST30 (except for the fact that it will need larger viewing distance). Have demo of the 42" panel till your heart is filled and then bargain for the 50" panel of the same range. Just look at the discount figures being posted by fellow members.
I know. The 42" was quoted at Rs. 44000. I guess it can go down even more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks