Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 14:15   #4846
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Could you please let us know the price you paid for this model and also the shop in b'lore?
Devi Electronics in Jayanagar gives some good deals on Panasonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Thanks for the input rbp. You mentioned that the room shouldn't be brightly lit, however my living room has a tubelight exactly opposite where i place the tv but the distance is about 18 to 20 ft. I am assuming this shouldn't be a problem. Have you experienced any loss in picture quality if your room had all lights on ?
You need to check if the tube will be reflected off the tv. If yes, you might want to re-consider your decision on the plasmas. I dont have this light issue and am an happy owner of Pana plasma.

More than the ambient lighting in the room ( of course, low to mid lighting is good for any tv ), what matters is the individuals liking for skin tones. If you like the warmer, natural skin tones then plasmas will suit you. LCds have a very bright artificial image. Of course, these are individual preferences.
Old 25th July 2011, 14:34   #4847
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the input rbp. You mentioned that the room shouldn't be brightly lit, however my living room has a tubelight exactly opposite where i place the tv but the distance is about 18 to 20 ft. I am assuming this shouldn't be a problem. Have you experienced any loss in picture quality if your room had all lights on ?
As @m8002? mentioned, you got to first check if the tube light shows up in the plasma first, based on that you can decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Could you please let us know the price you paid for this model and also the shop in b'lore?
64K some 10months back, Devi International, jaynagar.
Old 25th July 2011, 17:23   #4848
Senior - BHPian

You can get a 50 inch Panasonic Plasma for around 64K. My aunt just bought it in Coimbatore. Dunno the model no.
Old 25th July 2011, 23:55   #4849
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Just to give you guys an idea this is how the tubelight appears on my existing lcd panel.

The tubelight does not appear as bright as the cam makes it look and the distance is 21ft from my lcd to the tubelight.
Can you suggest if plasma is still a good buy ? I saw lcd and plasma side-by-side at samsung showroom and love the colors and PQ of the plasma.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-dsc_1496_edited1.jpg  

Old 26th July 2011, 12:00   #4850
BHPian

LCDs usually have "matt" finish panel and the reflection is dull and smudged out. The plasma panel is more clear and reflective and the tubelight could be a bother in your case. You can also check out the plasma at showrooms where there is a light source on the opposite wall.

Since you like the PQ of the plasma, check if switching off the tube is an option for some serious viewing ( HD movies and sports ).
Old 26th July 2011, 12:27   #4851
BHPian

My uncle needs a 50" TV. Which is the best, LCD or Plasma? Viewing distance would be 12ft.

I own a 40" Samsung LCD and impressed with it.
Old 26th July 2011, 13:13   #4852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
LCDs usually have "matt" finish panel and the reflection is dull and smudged out. The plasma panel is more clear and reflective and the tubelight could be a bother in your case. You can also check out the plasma at showrooms where there is a light source on the opposite wall.

Since you like the PQ of the plasma, check if switching off the tube is an option for some serious viewing ( HD movies and sports ).
If the need arises i can turn off the tubelight for a few hours for HD movies and sports. I clicked this at night and the only light source was this tubelight so it appears very bright, will try to click a better pic during the day with the tubelight on.
I've turned the tubelight off and noticed only a minor improvement in clarity and detail. All the showrooms i visited had no lighting opposite where the tv was mounted but the sales rep said you can visit in the morning and watch it when there's a lot of sunlight to get an idea. He also mentioned that the neopdp panel on V and VT series is less reflective than the previous one's. Can anyone confirm this ? The reflection problem is the only thing i have second thoughts on, else its a plasma for sure
Old 26th July 2011, 14:07   #4853
BHPian

Quote:
If the need arises i can turn off the tubelight for a few hours for HD movies and sports. I clicked this at night and the only light source was this tubelight so it appears very bright, will try to click a better pic during the day with the tubelight on.
I've turned the tubelight off and noticed only a minor improvement in clarity and detail. All the showrooms i visited had no lighting opposite where the tv was mounted but the sales rep said you can visit in the morning and watch it when there's a lot of sunlight to get an idea. He also mentioned that the neopdp panel on V and VT series is less reflective than the previous one's. Can anyone confirm this ? The reflection problem is the only thing i have second thoughts on, else its a plasma for sure
Like i mentioned before, i have never found ambient lighting in the room to be an issue with my plasma. The room can be as bright as needed, the pictures are fine. Just make sure there is no reflection from a light source ( window or bulb ). Windows are easier to control since you can draw the curtains during the viewing time.

When going there in the morning, try to place the tv facing a window/door so that the reflection falls on it. That should give you a fair idea.

Mine is last years X20 model. So cant comment on the new panels. But guess it should only be getting better.
Old 26th July 2011, 14:08   #4854
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
He also mentioned that the neopdp panel on V and VT series is less reflective than the previous one's. Can anyone confirm this ? The reflection problem is the only thing i have second thoughts on, else its a plasma for sure
Yes! the V and VT series are less reflective when compared to the lower spec models, but it still reflects but not as badly as the entry level models.
Old 26th July 2011, 14:21   #4855
Senior - BHPian

@Shashank- Tubelight will be a big bother in case of a plasma.
I have a samsung plasma and had the tubelight in the same position.
SO either buy a lcd or change the tubelight location.
Old 26th July 2011, 15:00   #4856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Like i mentioned before, i have never found ambient lighting in the room to be an issue with my plasma. The room can be as bright as needed, the pictures are fine. Just make sure there is no reflection from a light source ( window or bulb ). Windows are easier to control since you can draw the curtains during the viewing time.

When going there in the morning, try to place the tv facing a window/door so that the reflection falls on it. That should give you a fair idea.

Mine is last years X20 model. So cant comment on the new panels. But guess it should only be getting better.
Thanks for the input. Luckily in the brand shop the VT series is placed facing the door so if i go early in the morning it will give me a fair idea as to what to expect. will go sometime this week and check it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Yes! the V and VT series are less reflective when compared to the lower spec models, but it still reflects but not as badly as the entry level models.
Hopefully the ST series i'm looking for should be similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@Shashank- Tubelight will be a big bother in case of a plasma.
I have a samsung plasma and had the tubelight in the same position.
SO either buy a lcd or change the tubelight location.
How bad is the reflection ? Is it like you don't see anything where the tubelight reflection appears ? What is the distance form the tubelight to the tv
Old 26th July 2011, 17:28   #4857
Senior - BHPian

DIstance is 6-8 feet.
Its a 42 inch PLASMA and trust me you wont enjoy watching anything if tubelight is on.
Old 26th July 2011, 21:35   #4858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
My uncle needs a 50" TV. Which is the best, LCD or Plasma? Viewing distance would be 12ft.
12 ft and 50inches lcd/plasma TV? shouldnt the distance be much more if you want a good viewing experience since the picture would be grainy when viewed from that close?
Old 26th July 2011, 21:37   #4859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
12 ft and 50inches lcd/plasma TV? shouldnt the distance be much more if you want a good viewing experience since the picture would be grainy when viewed from that close?
I've got a 51" and it is viewed from less than 12ft. And it is perfect with HD and dvd quality. With our rubbish SD television it does not look that great. But the size is just fine for the distance.
Old 26th July 2011, 23:35   #4860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I've got a 51" and it is viewed from less than 12ft. And it is perfect with HD and dvd quality. With our rubbish SD television it does not look that great. But the size is just fine for the distance.
My question remains unanswered..LCD or Plasma? If an LCD, I would stick with Samsung, since it plays everything whatever I throw at it.

If Plasma, which brand and model?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks