Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2011, 12:43   #4831
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Congrats "rvmohankumar"
I am a big fan of L.E.D.'s be it a TV, or home lighting :-)

please do post the model number of the panasonic you purchased.
VIERA TH-L42D25

http://www.panasonic.co.in/wps/porta.../VIERATHL42D25
Old 18th July 2011, 19:23   #4832
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

My 46 inch Sony LCD tv died today The problem started a few months back, half the screen would flicker and have double image for about 15 minutes and then the display would be fine. However today even after 30 mins, it still flickers so much so that half the screen is practically useless for viewing. The service advisor who had visited quoted 37k for replacing the panel but since its almost 3 years old i'm not keen on going for a repair. thinking of upgrading to either a LED tv or Plasma and DEFINITELY no Sony this time!

I want to take a second opinion from some local lcd tv repair shop before i replace my tv as after the panel heats up the display used to be fine. Anyone here knows such places where they service lcd's ?
Old 18th July 2011, 22:18   #4833
BHPian

My friend's sister got a Panasonic Plasma 50 inch "v" series tv with 3D for INR 1,10,000 yesterday. The MRP is INR 1,70,000. A whopping 60k discount. She got the tv from Panasonic authorized dealer in Kathriguppe.

This offer is a steal. Just wanted to keep you guys posted so that any one looking for a Plasma tv in Bangalore can check out this offer.
Old 19th July 2011, 11:31   #4834
BHPian

Hi,
I need help in purchasing a 40" or 46" LCD.
I will be in bangalore over the weekend and plan to gift the TV to my parents.
Some someone point me to the best deals for cash purchase.
I prefer samsung ( I have been using samsung LCD for the past 4 years without problems).

Thanks.
Old 19th July 2011, 23:32   #4835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrswift View Post
Hi,
I need help in purchasing a 40" or 46" LCD.
I will be in bangalore over the weekend and plan to gift the TV to my parents.
Some someone point me to the best deals for cash purchase.
I prefer samsung ( I have been using samsung LCD for the past 4 years without problems).

Thanks.
From Bangalore, you can drive down to Hosur to get really good deals.
It is worth the 40km drive. When I bought my LG 32inch LED TV, Hosur dealers were quoting around 4K less from the least quote from Balgalore.
Taxes are less in TN. Try bargaining to the maximum possible extend. Always check the price of same model at different showrooms. Expect more discount if you give cash instead of card.
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 23:48   #4836
Senior - BHPian

I am pretty satisfied with Panasonic Viera (42" plasma)

Most importantly Panasonic offers 3 years warranty. It was key factor in the buying decision. Lets see how long it lasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Hi,

My 46 inch Sony LCD tv died today The problem started a few months back, half the screen would flicker and have double image for about 15 minutes and then the display would be fine. However today even after 30 mins, it still flickers so much so that half the screen is practically useless for viewing. The service advisor who had visited quoted 37k for replacing the panel but since its almost 3 years old i'm not keen on going for a repair. thinking of upgrading to either a LED tv or Plasma and DEFINITELY no Sony this time!

I want to take a second opinion from some local lcd tv repair shop before i replace my tv as after the panel heats up the display used to be fine. Anyone here knows such places where they service lcd's ?
Thats sad. With 37K you can get a new LCD. All I knew LCD lasts longer than Plasma.

Last edited by oxyzen : 19th July 2011 at 23:51.
Old 21st July 2011, 09:36   #4837
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys these days a lot of people get TVs from bangkok. Its a lot cheaper there. My query is are these TVs covered under warranty in India? One of my dad's friend is going there this week and he can get us 2 of these. But we are not sure if the warranty is honoured in India.

Also if you buy the TV from the grey market ( karol bagh in delhi has lots of shops), the price difference comes to around 10-12k/TV. Are these covered under warranty?
Old 21st July 2011, 09:54   #4838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
Hey guys these days a lot of people get TVs from bangkok. Its a lot cheaper there. My query is are these TVs covered under warranty in India? One of my dad's friend is going there this week and he can get us 2 of these. But we are not sure if the warranty is honoured in India.

Also if you buy the TV from the grey market ( karol bagh in delhi has lots of shops), the price difference comes to around 10-12k/TV. Are these covered under warranty?
Hi drmohitg , Manufacturers have to set up their service centres in India and do some marketing and hire people specific for the warranty and service in India , so when we buy a tv , not only do we pay for the tv but also for the service and warranty and some taxes as well.
If you buy a tv from the grey market , those will be the ones got from singapore or bangkok, and they will not have an indian warranty.
You can get a tv from bangkok with international warranty , but that will come at a premium.
Old 21st July 2011, 10:06   #4839
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Bought LG 42LK 450 in Singapore last week and now back home.
I have been travelling often to Dubai and Singapore past few years. I was very close to buy one in Dubai a month back but was told by friends that they are cheaper in Singapore than Dubai.

Bought it at Mustafa.
Was a bit apprehensive about the carriage. Called airline couple of times prior purchasing to confirm that they would accept this box as I thought to be too big.

Also had a lot of wrong notions about Mumbai Customs due to some forum discussions on flyertalk.com. I am too happy to mention that I had no problem whatsoever at Mumbai customs. They checked the bill and then since amt was less than dutiable limit, let me pass through.

All the while the customs were really courteous and decent.

I bought it after demo purely on HD media. But at home found it is working quite satisfactorily with local cablewala's set top box. I need to tweak settings as the colours seem more on warmer side.

LG 42PT250 plasma was even cheaper. But since plasma screens are very reflective and my TV was going to be bang oppsite balcony door, I preferred the LCD.
I wasn't in for LED TV as they are anyways an LCD TV and the entry level LED TVs are edge lit which are not way too better than LCD tvs justifying the extra cost IMO.

Rgds.
Old 23rd July 2011, 14:57   #4840

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

Those are good deals. I chose the series 5 plasma with full hd over the other one because I am going to keep it for a few years, and I expect many things to start coming in full hd, so I didn't want to miss out on the experience. As for the 43" that tv is not used much so it did not matter.
Where is this shop? Is it in Bangalore?
Old 23rd July 2011, 22:31   #4841
BHPian

Guys need some urgent advice. I bought a panasonic viera 42 inch X20 today from Pankaj Electronics in Yusuf Sarai, delhi.The TV got delivered, the panasonic guy came and set it up in its stand, later the Tata sky HD got fixed. While i was quiet happy within everything being done in 1 day, i just now noticed while flicking channels that there are at least 2 white spots on the screen. Dead pixels i guess. Is it normal? Or should i ask them for a replacement. My first thought is that considering one of them is in the middle of the screen, it is very likely that it will be noticed again and again irritatingly as i spend time.

Please also let me know what is the panasonic policy on the same.
Old 25th July 2011, 01:25   #4842
Senior - BHPian

Guys since my Sony lcd tv died i am replacing it and have narrowed it down to the following options:

1. Panasonic ST30D 42inch plasma tv
2. Samsung 6600 40 inches LED tv

I watched bluray rip of avatar on the samsung and i was very happy with the PQ, however the SD/HD picture quality was rather disappointing, watched star cricket HD and noticed the ball leaving a trail on replay's and on real time action.
Haven't got a chance to see SD/HD content through set-top box or the avatar clip on the plasma. Will do it tomorrow.

I am more inclined towards plasma as i noticed better picture quality and natural colors the only downside is its not bright like led's. I als like the 3yr warranty over the 1yr by other manf.

Need your inputs on which is a better buy as the price difference is not much between led and plasma's ?
Old 25th July 2011, 10:27   #4843
rbp
BHPian

@shashank.nk:- You have already mentioned the drawbacks of the LED, those drawbacks arent there in the plasma for sure, I own a Panasonic P42V20, I have absolutely no regrets buying it, natural colors, skin tones, blacks are all top class, my brother who owns a Samsung 40 inch LCD recently commented that the panny looks a lot better than his samsung, if u decide to go for the plasma make sure that your room is not brightly lit.
Old 25th July 2011, 12:44   #4844
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the input rbp. You mentioned that the room shouldn't be brightly lit, however my living room has a tubelight exactly opposite where i place the tv but the distance is about 18 to 20 ft. I am assuming this shouldn't be a problem. Have you experienced any loss in picture quality if your room had all lights on ?
Old 25th July 2011, 12:46   #4845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
@shashank.nk:- You have already mentioned the drawbacks of the LED, those drawbacks arent there in the plasma for sure, I own a Panasonic P42V20, I have absolutely no regrets buying it, natural colors, skin tones, blacks are all top class, my brother who owns a Samsung 40 inch LCD recently commented that the panny looks a lot better than his samsung, if u decide to go for the plasma make sure that your room is not brightly lit.
Could you please let us know the price you paid for this model and also the shop in b'lore?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks