Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2011, 11:29   #4771
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Avoid all samsung 37" TVs. Most of them are lousy CMO panels. Among the options listed, grab the D550. The U20 isn't a great display. The lower resolution X20 looks better.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 11:35   #4772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Avoid all samsung 37" TVs. Most of them are lousy CMO panels. Among the options listed, grab the D550. The U20 isn't a great display. The lower resolution X20 looks better.
Thanks Soumyajit Sir. By the way, is the C550 better than the D550 in Samsung's 40 inchers. The C550 is the older one I think. Also, does the panel lottery thing apply for the LA40D550 also?
Old 19th June 2011, 12:15   #4773
Senior - BHPian

Panel lottery is applicable to all Samsungs but its easy to identify the panel type from the box itself. If the batch number begins with SQ then its a Samsung, if its AA then its an AU Optronics. If its a CN, stay away and don't take delivery - you'll get the lousy CMO panels.

The D series seemingly has better electronics than the C series though I couldn't notice any difference in image quality.
Old 19th June 2011, 12:26   #4774
BHPian

Quote:
Panel lottery is applicable to all Samsungs but its easy to identify the panel type from the box itself. If the batch number begins with SQ then its a Samsung, if its AA then its an AU Optronics. If its a CN, stay away and don't take delivery - you'll get the lousy CMO panels.

The D series seemingly has better electronics than the C series though I couldn't notice any difference in image quality.
Thanks again. I was under the impression that one needs to get every box opened to verify the panel. Is it possible to check the panel details without having the box opened? I thought one needs to check the version number inside but if it can be judged by looking at the box itself then this is good news.
Old 19th June 2011, 12:39   #4775
Senior - BHPian

I believe its printed on the box itself.
Old 19th June 2011, 12:47   #4776
BHPian

One last question, are the LA40D550 and the LA40D550K1R the same models? Or is there a difference? I can only see the LA40D550K1R on the Samsung India website.
Old 19th June 2011, 12:47   #4777
BHPian

Hey all,

I just wanted to ask, whatever happened to plasma TVs? I mean nobody wants them now. I currently have a 42" Bravia Full HD LCD and I'm looking for something bigger.

I saw a Samsung 56" plasma full HD going for quite a good price. I kind of liked the picture clarity, and the sound is good too. Are there any negatives to plasma TVs, or is nobody buying them because they are not as 'cool' as LCDs/LEDs?
Old 19th June 2011, 14:40   #4778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
they are not as 'cool' as LCDs/LEDs?
Plasma are MUCH cheaper than LEDs and carry lesser margins for retailers as well as OEMs. That is why Plasma TVs are not pushed to consumers.
Old 19th June 2011, 18:37   #4779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Plasma are MUCH cheaper than LEDs and carry lesser margins for retailers as well as OEMs. That is why Plasma TVs are not pushed to consumers.
Power consumption of plasma TVs are more compared to LCD\LED
And technology wise plasma is older.
Old 19th June 2011, 18:45   #4780
Senior - BHPian

Power consumption of a Plasma TV is MUCH more than an LCD/LED television, but in no way is it a dying technology. It's picture quality is still a benchmark among most LCD/LED manufacturers.
Old 19th June 2011, 19:23   #4781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Power consumption of a Plasma TV is MUCH more than an LCD/LED television, but in no way is it a dying technology. It's picture quality is still a benchmark among most LCD/LED manufacturers.
New generation Plasma TVs consume about 1.5x that of LCD/LED TVs. If you go by the specs alone, it would be 3x as most manufacturers specify the max power consumption. Under real life conditions, it should be around 1.5x only.

As you said rightly, it has the best picture quality. But unfortunately, most people these days go by how the TV looks rather than how the picture looks!
gopalnayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 19:38   #4782
Senior - BHPian

Only the BEST of Edge Lit LEDs come close to Plasmas in terms of Black levels and insane contrast ratios. Hell, some LEDs even beat the Plasmas to the game. But be prepared to pay 3-4x the cost of an Average LED. Sony's HX series of LEDs ups the game. So did the LG 9500 series.
Old 19th June 2011, 19:55   #4783
BHPian

Why plasma tvs are not recommended for gaming even though it has higher motion flow rates and contrast ration than that of LCD and led?
Old 19th June 2011, 19:59   #4784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Why plasma tvs are not recommended for gaming even though it has higher motion flow rates and contrast ration than that of LCD and led?

Who said they aren't. In fact all gaming kiosks and competitions use only plasmas. Less eye fatigue and more detail.
one doesn't recommend gming on earlier plasmas due to image retention issues. New plasmas from Panasonic don't even have 5% of image retention. Hence no concern if that sort anymore.
Old 19th June 2011, 21:32   #4785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Being able to lay your hands on the D550 is as good as winning a lottery in bangalore. None of them have it in stock and one dude who had it was quoting an atrocious price.

I waited for over 10 days and couldnt get one, finally ended up picking up the Panny 50 inch plasma.

Most Viewed