Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2009, 20:49   #3271
BHPian

Am planning on getting the samsung 32 5 series (LA32B550K1R) and was quoted 40000. The 530 is available for 38000 with 2 year warranty - both prices at Reliance Digital.
Can anyone please let me know if they have received any better quotes, so i can bargain a better pricing?
Old 27th December 2009, 11:16   #3272
BHPian

Lots of discussion here on Plasma and LCD TVs.

My considered opinion is that Plasma TVs are out of the reckoning. They may vanish from the store shelves in the next two years and the countdown has already begun.

Between LED back-lit and the conventional flourescent back-lit LCD TVs, one can judiciously write-off LED-LCD TVs for the present in view of the prohibitive price point. ( If one has lots of money to throw out, then by all means go for it.) Prices are bound to come down in the next three to four years and that will be the time to throw out your ageing LCD and go in for LED-LCD TV.

Personally, I have two things right now queued up in my list of next-purchase, the most immediate being a Sony Slim PS3. The star attraction for me is the Bluray Player in it. ( I am not interested in gaming and the lowest priced Philips Standalone BD player is Rs.18K+). The recently released 120 GB Slim PS3s ( MRP Rs 19990, same as the older 80GB Fat ones) have already sold out and not available anywhere in Bangalore.

Yesterday I was informed at Sony World, Jayanagar that they have just got the 250GB PS3 Slim bundled with one game (MRP of 22,250 or so). They even showed me the pack and informed Sony will no longer make available the 120GB Slims. I just put up a non-chalant face and walked out, for I know that Sony outlets do not budge even a single pie on the sticker price.

I shall now buy it either at Tata Croma, (5% cash off on any Master Card; Maximum Rs 750) or e-zone (10% cash off on Standard-Chartered Card; Maximum Rs.5000)

For the LCD TV I have zeroed in on LG 32LH60YR Jazz priced at Rs.44200 both at Croma and e-zone. At either place, I am not ready to accept the freebies thrown in ( A junk Rs. 10000 worth Philips HTiB at Tata Croma and a still worst junk in the form of an Airtel DTH at e-zone). I shall wait till I can strike a straight deal on the LCD TV.

And now I am going out for another Recce. Shopping unlimited.
Old 27th December 2009, 18:42   #3273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
Lots of discussion here on Plasma and LCD TVs.

My considered opinion is that Plasma TVs are out of the reckoning. They may vanish from the store shelves in the next two years and the countdown has already begun.
Hi Ponmayilal, you might want to give your opinion another consideration after reading this - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/18/te...pagewanted=all

My own considered opinion in this matter is this- an 80,000-90,000 LCD TV 'comes close' to the Picture Quality of a 40,000-50,000 Plasma TV. Of course, you don't have to take my word for whatever it's worth, please do the comparison for yourself in any decent multi-brand store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post

For the LCD TV I have zeroed in on LG 32LH60YR Jazz priced at Rs.44200 both at Croma and e-zone.
I have bought a 42" LG Plasma for lesser price, so please do keep an open eye (and mind) before you settle for a smaller size and poorer PQ.
Old 29th December 2009, 18:39   #3274
BHPian

NCR guys - just came back from Panasonic showroom in TGIP - 42C10 is offered at 42k under exchange ?
Any idea if it is a good deal ?

Also Panny guys were more willing to talk on price....LG /samsung was more of take it or leave it attitude....maybe Panny guys are trying to get rid of inventory of 42C10
Old 30th December 2009, 15:27   #3275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
42C10 is offered at 42k under exchange ?
Any idea if it is a good deal ?
42k "without exchange" on the 42" C10 is the best I found in Chennai when I checked last week
Old 30th December 2009, 18:31   #3276
BHPian

Annanagar Samsung just quoted 48,500 for a 40" 5series 530 LCD.
Old 30th December 2009, 20:19   #3277
BHPian

Checked out LG 42PQ70 (42k) and Panny 42C10D(43k), after watching them side by side I'm now completely inclined towards LG. It had much brighter picture almost LCD like, reflection was also less. It looks much better too with that single layer design. Sound is also better with 2 way 4 speakers. And in addition to all this has USB 2.0 and bluetooth interface. I feel, C10 nowhere comes close to lg, LG has really raised the bar and much better overall package and when you come to know it is cheaper than c10 then there is no going back. Feedback solicited if anyone thinks otherwise.
Old 31st December 2009, 10:08   #3278
BHPian

- LG 42PQ70 best buy price is anything below 40k. I bought mine at 39,500/- net
- Panny dealer was willing to go down to 41k for C10, and 48k for X10. Outside, in a multi-brand store in Lajpat Nagar, I was quoted 40k for C10 without any negotiation, and without any exchange needed
Old 31st December 2009, 12:58   #3279
BHPian

Can there be differences in Mumbai and Delhi prices?
Old 31st December 2009, 13:44   #3280
BHPian

^ Yes. Octroi would be different.

Best price quoted to me in Mumbai about 15 days back for 42PQ70 was 39K (after bargaining) after exchange of my 29" CRT.
Old 31st December 2009, 14:31   #3281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll View Post
Can there be differences in Mumbai and Delhi prices?
Of course, since Bombay has Octroi of approx 5% and Delhi has 0. There may be a difference in the sales tax rates too.
Old 31st December 2009, 16:40   #3282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Of course, since Bombay has Octroi of approx 5% and Delhi has 0. There may be a difference in the sales tax rates too.
Most of the things are costlier (electronics, automobiles, etc) because of higher VAT and other taxes in Maharashtra. Thats why the rate difference!
Old 31st December 2009, 19:46   #3283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post

Best price quoted to me in Mumbai about 15 days back for 42PQ70 was 39K (after bargaining) after exchange of my 29" CRT.
39k is fair in exchange of 29". I'm also getting the quotes in similar range. Quality wise I'm impressed with PQ70, I find it better than C10 and more loaded in terms of features. Can anyone vouch for the long term reliability of LG Plasmas, how does it compare to Panny?
Old 31st December 2009, 23:59   #3284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Hi Ponmayilal, you might want to give your opinion another consideration after reading this - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/18/te...pagewanted=all

My own considered opinion in this matter is this- an 80,000-90,000 LCD TV 'comes close' to the Picture Quality of a 40,000-50,000 Plasma TV. Of course, you don't have to take my word for whatever it's worth, please do the comparison for yourself in any decent multi-brand store.

I have bought a 42" LG Plasma for lesser price, so please do keep an open eye (and mind) before you settle for a smaller size and poorer PQ.
First I wish all BHPians a very Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Whether to buy a Plasma TV or LCD TV is a very complicated topic and in the final count it is the individual's own decision based on his own preferences that can prevail.

Here is quick burst on Plasma vs LCD TVs.

1. Picture Quality - Advantage Plasma

2. Computer Use - Advantage LCD

3. Fast-moving Video Playback: Advantage Plasma

4. Altitude Usage: Advantage LCD (above 6000')

5. Longevity: Even - depends upon manufacturer quality

6. Screen burn in: Advantage LCD but not much of a
concern with Plasma now as it was before, but still
one cannot rule out completely

7. Production size and cost: Advantage Plasma (though
the difference now is only marginal)

8. Price and value: Advantage Plasma, especially in large
size TVs

My own considerations in buying a 32" LCD TV:

Is a 42" Plasma TV a HDTV? The answer is an emphatic "no". With a resolution of 1024*768 it does not meet 1920*1080. If one is looking for a true HD-capable Plasma Television, check for a native pixel resolution of either 1280x720, 1366x768, or 1920x1080. This will provide a more accurate display of high definition source material. Any thing else, your TV is going to scale it down and you are not seeing exactly the original. Now a full HD Plasma is beyond my means and I am not prepared for any scaling by a 42" Plasma. ( I have recently acquired a Sony PS3 Slim 250 GB which can output Full HD bluray disks and games in High Definition. So source material is there. This should shut down any query on " Where is the source material for HD? " )

The second but most important consideration for me is its computer usage. I am more a computer enthusiast than a video enthusiast. LCD monitors are especially good at displaying large amounts of data - like you would find on an Excel spreadsheet for example - with exceptional clarity and precision. In a Plasma TV used as a computer monitor all the letters and numerals will have jagged edges and appear horrible to read. Same applies for web browsing. But why a TV as a monitor?

I had so far built two HTPCs first with Windows XP Media Center Edition and then Windows Vista. In both cases, I could not move it to the living room since there were some problems with the Microsoft Media Center Remote which could not be resolved. I had to abandon the project. Some details for those interested
here . With Windows 7 however I am confident evrything will be OK and am confident. I am still working on it and grooming it. To do away with the troublesome Microsoft MC Remote, I have also acquired another remote by name EZ Commander. My review on it here . The project will be complete when I equip my Windows 7 Media center PC with a bluray DVD writer. I shall then move it to the living room with the 32" LCD TV as a monitor. I t will be a living room PC cum media cemter along with the Sony PS3 Slim. A blutooth Keyboard and mouse will complete the set up.

Ooops, a long post but i couldn't help and what a way to start the new year.
Old 1st January 2010, 18:32   #3285
BHPian

Quote:
With a resolution of 1024*768 it does not meet 1920*1080
I purchased Pana C10 (1024*768) bacause it is best to view current SD transmission and can down covert full HD (1920*1080) to its resolution (1024*768) (HD ready). So one way it is future ready. If I pay 70K+ now then wait for another 5 years for HD transmission to be ready in India - that time TVs with current features will be outdated and will be worth of less than half price of current value. So 5 years down the line, HD reception will be available, affrodable and then I can upgrade to the latest TV (full HD), may be a laser tv (www.laservuetv.com) or OLED TV e.g. Sony XEL-1 or XEL-2. Just do search on net.

Now enjoy what is available in plate with less price, affordable and best quality.

More important - People sell LCD TV because of more margins they earn (consider the fragileness, weight and cost in transportation of Plasma). People like you and me discuss PQ and technology, others just watch picture (not quality). This is same kind of discussion between audiophiles includes semiconductor v/s valves-tubes.

Last edited by omishra : 1st January 2010 at 18:39.

Most Viewed