Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2010, 19:18   #3346
Senior - BHPian

Earlier I wanted to buy a 50" Samsung Plasma.

Then I took my HD media and saw the same rips on 46" Full HD LCD (46B530) as well as 50" Plasma (Samsung B450).

After that I bought full HD LCD.

Compromised with 4" shorter screen and paid almost 17k more.
Old 14th February 2010, 19:22   #3347
BHPian

^^ i'd have to agree that on larger sizes (above 42") 1080p may make sense if you aren't sitting far enough. However at the end of day our eyes can only make out so many pixels from a distance.
And yeah the samsung plasmas cant be compared to panny or pio plasma :-)
Old 14th February 2010, 19:23   #3348
Senior - BHPian

I am going to do the same thing. Prepared my stash of HD content to test TV side by side. Will tune down brightness contrast on TVs to suite my living room.

Not sure if I would pick up LCD or Plasma.
Old 14th February 2010, 19:31   #3349
BHPian

^^ how do you intend to do that at the store - unless they have a PS3 or some other HD player connected, its difficult. If you already have a portable hdmi device/player, carry that. The dvd players at the stores with usb can't play HD files.
Old 14th February 2010, 19:35   #3350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
How do you play files on TV? Do you connect it to PC via hdmi/tv out? Or do oyu play it via USB?
[/list]That will take a long time.

1080p basically mean Megapixels. Just like digital cameras, it is more of a marketing ploy at the moment.

1. Films :

Films are shot on High quality stock that is WAY higher than 1080p. BUT to transfer it to digital in HD is expensive and takes time.

So, unless you primarily watch Hollywood videos, don't expect proper 1080p releases in next few years.

2. TV:
Even in advanced markets, 1080i is just beginning to get mainstream. 1080p broadcast does not exist as of now.

So, it will not be in India in next few years.

OTOH:

If you are looking at LCD, other factors like refresh rate are more important then resolution.

In a showroom ask TV to be switched to NTDV Profit or CNBC.

Look at stock ticker at bottom. If you read stock names/prices, older LCDs will induce headache in no time (with jerky text). Newer LCDs will have much smooth movement, quite close to old CRTs.
I know refresh rate makes a lot of difference. But if you see the quantum jumps in prices of TV sets, they are decided based on firstly 720P Vs 1080P and then secondly based on sophisticated audio.

So a 720P LCD with good refresh rate and wider viewing angle should be a good buy. Is that a fair summary?
Old 14th February 2010, 19:56   #3351
BHPian

^^ no a 720p plasma will be a good buy :-) again I am not going to summarize 200 pages of lcd vs plasma - but all i can say is its just mass marketing vs reality. Same applies to 720p vs 1080p. When 1080p becomes mass produced enough to be cheap, 720p will disappear. When the true pixel illuminated LED LCDs become mass produced enough to be cheap, both plasmas and LCDs (as well as edge lit LED LCDs) will disappear.
What I would buy in the future - probably a 1080p pixel illuminated LED LCD.
What I would suggest now - a 720p or 1080 plasma

Also if I buy a tv, it would be not based on audio quality at all, but thats because I have a home theatre. And buzzwords apart, most displays have physical limitations to how good a sound they can produce and almost all large displays are pretty close (virtual 3d, virtual surround, etc)
Old 14th February 2010, 21:20   #3352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I know refresh rate makes a lot of difference. But if you see the quantum jumps in prices of TV sets, they are decided based on firstly 720P Vs 1080P and then secondly based on sophisticated audio.

So a 720P LCD with good refresh rate and wider viewing angle should be a good buy. Is that a fair summary?
I don't think its possible to get such a combination. Good (better then 60 Hz) refresh rates are only available in newer series of TVs by major brands (Sony, Samsung, LG).

And those series would probably not have 720p.
Old 14th February 2010, 21:33   #3353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ no a 720p plasma will be a good buy :-) again I am not going to summarize 200 pages of lcd vs plasma - but all i can say is its just mass marketing vs reality. Same applies to 720p vs 1080p. When 1080p becomes mass produced enough to be cheap, 720p will disappear. When the true pixel illuminated LED LCDs become mass produced enough to be cheap, both plasmas and LCDs (as well as edge lit LED LCDs) will disappear.
What I would buy in the future - probably a 1080p pixel illuminated LED LCD.
What I would suggest now - a 720p or 1080 plasma

Also if I buy a tv, it would be not based on audio quality at all, but thats because I have a home theatre. And buzzwords apart, most displays have physical limitations to how good a sound they can produce and almost all large displays are pretty close (virtual 3d, virtual surround, etc)

Thats what I am looking for. The cheapest 720P 32 inch LCD, with audio not the main concerns. What is the suggestion?

I find the Viera 32 inch 720P models in the range of 29-33K depending on number of HDMI inputs and refresh rates to be the best in quality for that price range.
Old 14th February 2010, 22:25   #3354
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer87 View Post
i have been looking out for a good and VFM 32" lcd and i am getting the Panasonic l32x9 32" lcd for 25k. How are panny lcd's when compared to samsung or sony. i know panny plasmas are the best but i am a bit doubtful about their lcd's, are they good enough and how is this particular model.
hey, guys....no reply, please tell me how is panasonic l32x9. pls reply to the above asap.what is the difference between the 32x9 or 32x10 ?
Old 14th February 2010, 22:31   #3355
BHPian

^^ yes I had a friend buy a viera 32 lcd for 33k and it was quite good. Unfortunately the blacks can't be compared to plasmas and there are no plasmas at 32 anymore!

I hear the samsung 6 series are pretty good - but cost a lot too!
Old 15th February 2010, 00:28   #3356
Senior - BHPian

i know its always features vs price. Make a list of what features are essential.

Currently I will always advice to go in for 42inchs or more and Full HD to future proof your buy.

I am not a ardent fan of TV but I do see a lot of HD content from Discovery/NatGeo and many US channels now broadcasting in HD, boy o boy the difference is evident.

Secondly, 32 inchs cant have true 1080p I think it can take 1080i but not p.

Plasmas vs LCDs we dont want to go into that right, I prefer Plasma due to the content I watch.

How about investing in Apple TV or Roku or WD TV Live HD Media Player. I am sure we get these now in India?
Old 15th February 2010, 09:16   #3357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats what I am looking for. The cheapest 720P 32 inch LCD, with audio not the main concerns. What is the suggestion?

I find the Viera 32 inch 720P models in the range of 29-33K depending on number of HDMI inputs and refresh rates to be the best in quality for that price range.

In my opinion, rather than filtering out based on specs, visit a showroom and compare all TVs in this price range. Carry a sample of videos that you usually watch.

There are lots of parameters that will not be mentioned in spec sheet (E.g. How good is TV at signals from Cable TV or Set top box to 720p / 1080p).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
How about investing in Apple TV or Roku or WD TV Live HD Media Player. I am sure we get these now in India?
Yaa, WD Live costs 10k with bill and warranty. Planning to pick it along with TV. Roku would be useless since it does not play stored content.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 15th February 2010 at 09:21.
Old 15th February 2010, 10:16   #3358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
In my opinion, rather than filtering out based on specs, visit a showroom and compare all TVs in this price range. Carry a sample of videos that you usually watch.

There are lots of parameters that will not be mentioned in spec sheet (E.g. How good is TV at signals from Cable TV or Set top box to 720p / 1080p).
That is exactly what I am doing right now. Just wanted to check if the overall thought process is sound.
Old 15th February 2010, 15:01   #3359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
STB doesn't have 3-pin plug(no earthing) and TV has 3-pin plug.
'dont think its a good idea disconnect earthing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Can you please give me some info on the insulator? It will be great if you can upload picture on that?
The cable guy doesn't know what its exactly called, and says its called a power stopper at the place where he buys it from, an electronics market.

Attaching a picture, sorry about the quality. though, there is an adapter between the insulator/power stopper to fix it to the old type hathway STB.

Edit- There is something like this that came with the set too. Its called an antenna isolator in the installation guide, to connect it to the RF input of TV or STB.
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-14022010236.jpg

Last edited by gendarmee : 15th February 2010 at 15:04. Reason: adding another line
Old 15th February 2010, 16:21   #3360
BHPian

Guys any help on the Sony 40" LCD KLV40S550A.
any reviews please
my brother is visiting The Dubai shopping fest and is looking for a LCD to bring back home, he is getting a good offer on the above sony model
how is it compared to other LCDs
suddenly Panasonic LCDs the 37" and the 42" have become out of stock here in mumbai. very difficult to compare them in shop with others

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks