Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 13:35   #3481
BHPian

Getting a 42' Plasma is the best decision I have made in terms of electronics. Its much much better when viewing Airtel Dish and is better when watching DVDs as well. This is in comparison to a few of my friend's much higher priced LCDs.

If you have a budget of 40k, getting a plasma is a no-brainer if you don't have space constraints. If the budget is 1lac, then I guess one can look at the LEDs which looks brighter (not necessarily clearer) than plasmas.
Old 7th May 2010, 14:33   #3482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini.rtmc View Post
I went to Panasonic brand shop and the below are the quotes they gave after lot of bargaining.All have 3 year warranty.
C10 39.5k
S10 56k
they have 2 year 0% interest finance options. S10 @ 56k is a very good price and is really tempting. Now am really confused whether to go with PV8 (32k) C10 or S10.
Does PV8 come with one year warranty? does the box pack include wall mount or do we have to buy separately?

hello sir,

where is the location of the brandshop you visited? is the one in sec bad opp to hotel grand solitare?
Old 7th May 2010, 16:36   #3483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
My vote will be for a Full HD, IPS LCD Panel anyday and nothing less. If you are going to listen to the for and against verbal clash, you are sure to get more and more confused.
Please Suggest some good models in 42 and 40 inches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Getting a 42' Plasma is the best decision I have made in terms of electronics. Its much much better when viewing Airtel Dish and is better when watching DVDs as well. This is in comparison to a few of my friend's much higher priced LCDs.

If you have a budget of 40k, getting a plasma is a no-brainer if you don't have space constraints. If the budget is 1lac, then I guess one can look at the LEDs which looks brighter (not necessarily clearer) than plasmas.
Budget is around 50k.
Am wary of plasma just cos my friend informed it will consume lot of electricity in comparison to lcd,is that true?
Old 7th May 2010, 18:49   #3484

Well from what I've knownonly only above 42" plasma is recommended and yes it consumes almost double wattage than the lcd's.
Old 7th May 2010, 21:38   #3485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Please Suggest some good models in 42 and 40 inches.
Budget is around 50k.
Am wary of plasma just cos my friend informed it will consume lot of electricity in comparison to lcd,is that true?
After much research on available LCD models, I had gone for the LG42LH60YR Jazz theater.We are immensely satisfied with its performance. Since then I have not looked into other LCD TVs. But you may have to lift your budget to around 63K.

Heat is the number one enemy of electronics and yes, power-hungry Plasma is heat personified. When you eliminate heat, longevity of any electronics goes up. That way cool LCDs count towards long life.

Most LCD models come with energy saving features.Our LG TV consumes just about 20-30W in the maximum energy saving mode. Even in that mode the picture is adequately bright for normal viewing. We always keep it in that mode reverting to the minimum energy saving mode only when viewing movies or someone likes extra bright pictures. I understand that most plasmas too come with energy saving modes but nothing comparable to LCDs.
Old 8th May 2010, 00:20   #3486
Senior - BHPian

Yes power consumption on Plasma's is higher. I read in cnet that for LCD it would be 29$/yr whereas it would be 60$+/yr for Plasma.

However the cost of Plasma's for the same size is much lesser than an LCD. Also picture quality in Plasma's are way better than LCD's unless you go for a high quality LCD which would cost a ton and probably cost more than a Plasma + 5 yrs of extra amt that you would pay for electricity for a Plasma.

A Panasonic 42" plasma for 37K would be a lot of value for money than an LCD that costs 63K. I'm sure you will not not consume that much electricity to cover the balance 25K+
Old 8th May 2010, 01:19   #3487
Senior - BHPian

Thanks People!
Can someone elaborate if we watch 5-6 hours tv every day does that makes much of a difference in electricity bill if we buy a plasma?

Also reading this thread and other reviews i guess panasonic plasmas are the best.
In that is C10 which is Hd ready fine or one should buy a S10 which full Hd?
Old 9th May 2010, 12:27   #3488
Senior - BHPian

Getting Samsung B450 plasma 42 inches at -45k.
Panasonic C 10- 39k
PanasonicX10- 46k
Panasonic S10-54k.

Are these prices right correct?
WHich one to go for?
Samsung has impressed me personally by its clarity but its sound system isn't great.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:07   #3489
BHPian

Hi Harry ,

I got my S10 @52 K

these were the prices at that time ( 2 April 2010)

C10 : 36K
x10 : 40K
S10 : 52 K

this was at panasonic flagship brand in delhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10;
Getting Samsung B450 plasma 42 inches at -45k.
Panasonic C 10- 39k
PanasonicX10- 46k
Panasonic S10-54k.

Are these prices right correct?
WHich one to go for?
Samsung has impressed me personally by its clarity but its sound system isn't great.
Old 10th May 2010, 16:48   #3490
BHPian

backlit local dimming LED LCD vs panny plasma

all - i have an offer from my neighbor on my panny plasma (pv80), and if that goes through, I might end up in the fortunate position to buy the latest TV.
So whats the suggestion these days on display technologies - my thoughts are that panny plasmas are good but local dimming LEDs are almost the same and much lighter. However a quick search revealed that the LG LH90 is the only backlit local dimming LED LCD in the india market today - everyone else (include samsung) is aiming for form over function using edge-lit LED LCDs.
The panny plasmas are getting a bit dated with the 2010 models not yet in India.

Any suggestions would be great on a 40 to 50" full HD panel, keeping in mind the black levels I am used to from panny plasma.
Old 10th May 2010, 17:42   #3491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
Hi Harry ,

I got my S10 @52 K

these were the prices at that time ( 2 April 2010)

C10 : 36K
x10 : 40K
S10 : 52 K

this was at panasonic flagship brand in delhi
Thanks for the info. buddy.
Could you tell me which Pana shop?
I stay in faridabad and the Pana shop here has given me d least they can do -
C10-39k (i watched it with tata sky and wasn't that convinced with the PQ)
X10-45or 46k(Didn't tested it as its not on display)
S10- 54k(Tested only with a Dvd as tata sky wasnt available)

So my Q is which one to take between X10 and S10 and is S10 worth the premium.
I watch 80% Tata sky and 20% dvd movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
all - i have an offer from my neighbor on my panny plasma (pv80), and if that goes through, I might end up in the fortunate position to buy the latest TV.
So whats the suggestion these days on display technologies - my thoughts are that panny plasmas are good but local dimming LEDs are almost the same and much lighter. However a quick search revealed that the LG LH90 is the only backlit local dimming LED LCD in the india market today - everyone else (include samsung) is aiming for form over function using edge-lit LED LCDs.
The panny plasmas are getting a bit dated with the 2010 models not yet in India.

Any suggestions would be great on a 40 to 50" full HD panel, keeping in mind the black levels I am used to from panny plasma.
Jassi i had read many good reviews of LG LH90.
How much is the price for this model and is LED worth paying the extra money?

Also are the new samsung range like C450 and C550 models available?
Old 10th May 2010, 18:50   #3492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Jassi i had read many good reviews of LG LH90.
How much is the price for this model and is LED worth paying the extra money?

Also are the new samsung range like C450 and C550 models available?
Here are the samsung LED models and LG LED models available and list prices
LG LCD HDTV - LED LCD TV, Jazz & Scarlet Series, Full High Definition LCD TVs

LED TV - Television | SAMSUNG

I am trying to avoid samsung as they are mostly concentrating on good looking edge-lit displays (hence crazy prices) vs local dimming ones (better blacks)

As far as splurging 90k for an LH90 vs 40k on a 42" panny plasma - i am also confused if its even worth it The only advantage looks like being lightweight and thinner, but performance wise it seems local dimming (forget edge-lit) can't yet come close to panny plasmas.
How I wished the 2010 panny plasmas were launched in India!!
VIERA® 2010 HDTV Series from Panasonic
G25, etc look really good (3d ones are not worth it though)
Old 10th May 2010, 19:08   #3493
BHPian

@harry10 : Plasmas would surely display better and clearer images on DVDs and DTH connections as well. The nature of plasmas make them appear to be less brighter than LCDs however that is of no concern if you are able to dim the light of your room by some amount.

However, please note that plasmas are prone to permanent pixel burns if a certain area of the screen is made to display a same color and intensity for a long time. This may also lead to some dead pixels (but chances of dead pixels are less).

So, if you are going for a plasma, please take care that games on tata sky, or educative programs on Active, etc, where a major portion of the screen displays the same content and only a minor area keeps changing, are avoided. And rest everything should go fine. I guess that this risk is the only thing that have made manufacturers make more R&D on LCDs quitting plasmas, inspite of plasmas being superior and more sophisticated pieces of technology.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:11   #3494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post

As far as splurging 90k for an LH90 vs 40k on a 42" panny plasma - i am also confused if its even worth it The only advantage looks like being lightweight and thinner, but performance wise it seems local dimming (forget edge-lit) can't yet come close to panny plasmas.
How I wished the 2010 panny plasmas were launched in India!!
VIERA® 2010 HDTV Series from Panasonic
G25, etc look really good (3d ones are not worth it though)
I feel that by using local dimming technique, they are trying to achieve (rather imitate), albeit "approximately", what plasmas do inherently i.e. "local dimming" at pixel level. Is'nt it?
An LCD basically locally dims a cluster of pixels, and the smaller the cluster the better, with the best scenario being each cluster having just one pixel. So we can say that local-dimming LED LCDs are basically tending towards the working principle of a Plasma.
And in which case, plasma should be the natural choice!
Note: Above is my personal opinion, backed by experience of owning an LCD and Panny plasma PV8.
Old 10th May 2010, 20:02   #3495
BHPian

^^ due to lack of further research on this - i would say I agree for now.
but that still leaves me with no choices to buy :-) i don't want to get the same panny plasma again. I hear the v10 is good, but its only available in 50" and I can't find the price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks