Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 20:47   #4666
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Hi
@Bluethunder: The package is neat but not the content. I asked them to show the TV and having spend quite some time with the demo piece i can see the panels sides wear and tear and knew it was the demo one. Incidentally the wall which had the TV had a new X30 mounted for demonstration. When i insisted the sales guys got all protective and refused to show me the hours its run and finally accepted that is a demo model. So thats the haul from my side.
@mashmash: There are stories where the user has checked the hours that the TV has run and found that it has been used for more than 250 hours. But i agree with your point of view. I will keep your advice in mind when i plan for V50. Cheers.

Last edited by drrajasaravanan : 1st May 2011 at 20:48.
Old 2nd May 2011, 03:10   #4667
Senior - BHPian

You can try the Croma store on Mount Road, drrajasaravanan. I just bought my Sony LCD from them. Service quality: top notch. They've a wide brand/model range and all of them are on display. Moreover, they have every model displayed on stock. Good place to buy.

Disclaimer: The above comment is my own and in no way intended to market Croma services or products. I am just another customer and not connected with that store in any way.
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:01   #4668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Hi Team,
This thread appears to have grow leaps and bounds.
I am looking for a 42" LED tv and fully confused which on to go for.
My requirements are -- it should be full HD, no 3D, excellent pic quality and should not burn my pocket (economic). Please pour in your suggestions, suggesting reasons for the same.
If you're particular about 42" size then I believe Philips, Panasonic and LG are the choices - Sony & Samsung AFAIK do not make that size any more.
Modern world @ domlur, old airport road carries the Philips & Panasonic brands. you can compare the products there.

Last edited by viper_711 : 2nd May 2011 at 15:03.
Old 4th May 2011, 00:20   #4669
Senior - BHPian

The Reason: 3 years old or so LG LCD develops some trouble with the panel, 8-9k expenditure on a new panel. Decided to do away with this TV and upgrade to a 32" LED.

The Contenders:
Sony -
KDL-32EX720
KDL-32EX520

Samsung -
UA32D6000SR
UA32D5000PRMXL

In Sony, the EX720 has a motion flow of 200Hz against 50Hz in EX520. I read that 50Hz won't be able to do justice while watching Sports programmes and hence I'm inclining towards EX720, which costs 10k more.

Regarding shortlisting Samsung, it's done for the sake of a forced equal comparison of what's in and what's not. Personally I would like to buy a Sony but then, Samsung has been too proactive with new developments so can't refuse to accept it as a worthy contender.

The TV will be used with Tata Sky HD and I would also use the USB feature to play movies apart from Youtube-ing over WiFi. The above TV's are FULL HD and 3D is not required since I won't like to wear the 3D Glasses.

BHPians, please guide on this game of Motion Flows. Will a 50Hz LED be too bad for Sports Content and which TV should I go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneet View Post
The prices in the grey market for LCD's and LED's are relatively cheap now and are really tempting.

Sony 26" LCD is for Rs. 16700/-
Sony 32" LCD is for Rs. 21000/-
Sony 40" LCD is for Rs. 31500/-
Sony 40" LED is for Rs. 55000/-
Samsung 40"LED is for Rs. 43000/-

Hope this helps to the prospective buyer.
Are the prices from Ghaffar?

Last edited by tsk13 : 4th May 2011 at 00:22.
Old 4th May 2011, 14:19   #4670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
In Sony, the EX720 has a motion flow of 200Hz against 50Hz in EX520. I read that 50Hz won't be able to do justice while watching Sports programmes and hence I'm inclining towards EX720, which costs 10k more.

Regarding shortlisting Samsung, it's done for the sake of a forced equal comparison of what's in and what's not. Personally I would like to buy a Sony but then, Samsung has been too proactive with new developments so can't refuse to accept it as a worthy contender.

BHPians, please guide on this game of Motion Flows. Will a 50Hz LED be too bad for Sports Content and which TV should I go for?

OK here is what I know

There is considerable amount of difference when you see a picture that refreshes at 50 frames per second (50Hz) and 100 frames ps (100 Hz). However, human eye is not sensitive enough to make out between 100 and 200 Hz. Anything over 100 Hz (120 Hz to be precise) is needed only if you want to watch 3D content.

Now there is something called CMR (Clear motion rate) defined by Samsung. Even though the TV's picture card produces 50 frames ps, the renderer has a capibility to draw the pixels at such a rate that it seems to us that it is 100 Hz ( and hence 100 CMR etc).

To answer your question, I am not too sure what Sony calls this technology but be wary of refresh rate and motion flow rate or clear motion rate, these both are different and what makes the difference is refresh rate. The higher the refresh rate, the better.

I own a LED TV with 50Hz refresh rate, it is 32 inch and does a decent job most of the times. But there is certain blur when I watch sports during tight close ups, but that does not take away anything from the TV. Also, for the kind of broadcast we get in our country 50HZ is more than enough, considering that you are opting for 32" screen you cannot make out much difference!
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 14:39   #4671
BANNED

Heard something about spike buster and voltage stabilizer, so here's my experience.
I am having 42" Panasonic HD Plasma and 32" Philips full HD LCD, initially I have installed the 600 VA UPS(Frontech) in my Panasonic Plasma it consumes power between 225-350W depends upon personal settings and broadcast quality, I stays in apartment and whenever power goes off gen set takes 5 seconds time to restore the power outage and in this down time TV use to go off and come back again, which I felt quite dangerous as same process happens for 0.5 seconds when the power comes back and gen set goes off, things were working fine till I replaced the SD Tata sky with HD Tata sky as apart from set top box the power consumption of TV also went up due to HD picture.
So moved the UPS to my other 32" LCD TV as it hardly consumes 90-100 W and 600 VA UPS is capable enough to provide backup to TV, PS3(if I am playing) with steering wheel, docking station etc, HD STB, Hard Drive based Media player as my backup requirement is hardly 5-6 seconds.
Now thinking of getting one 800 VA UPS from the plasma as 1 KVA UPS are too costly and quite big in size. I think no need to go for high end UPS like APC etc, most of manufacturers are getting it from China and they works well.
I have APC UPS but that's only for computer.
These 600 VA UPS are available for 12xx bucks and 800 VA UPS with double battery costs 24xx.

I am not sure about the latest trend in LED or LCD that how that Motion flow of 200 Hz or sub field drive frequency works, but almost 2 years back when i researched i found that screen refreshing frequency helps in showing the news ticker properly means small object with continuous movement, and motion flow works good during fast moving scenes like chasing, fast action scene etc.
The best out of all these top brands Philips took the trophy with it's 9 series LED range, top quality motion flow and natural colors, rest of lot felt quite dated products compared to Philips even though they are not very famous in India.

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 4th May 2011 at 14:46.
Ajaybiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 16:29   #4672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
OK here is what I know

There is considerable amount of difference when you see a picture that refreshes at 50 frames per second (50Hz) and 100 frames ps (100 Hz). However, human eye is not sensitive enough to make out between 100 and 200 Hz. Anything over 100 Hz (120 Hz to be precise) is needed only if you want to watch 3D content.
All broadcasts in India are at 50hz, even if TV refresh rate is higher, the source isnt. The TV onfo displays the channels at 50Hz only while projecting.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 16:32   #4673
BANNED

Not sure about broadcast frequency but if I set my TV to 50Hz it flickers, set it to 100 Hz and wow it changes the whole character of display what it produces.
Old 4th May 2011, 17:53   #4674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
IMHO, voltage stabilisers have very slow response times. Suppose the response time of your voltage stabiliser is X milli seconds, and for a rated output of 230V, if voltage goes up by, say, 10% for a period of less than X milli seconds, the stabiliser will feed 253V (230 plus 10% of 230V)for the time voltage shot up, before the voltage levelling happens. So, you are better off NOT using a stabiliser for your TVs and other electronic equipment.

This problem, afaik, does not exist in servo controlled stabilisers. But they cost above 4K for a model capable of powering TV + STB + CD/DVD player + A/V receiver / speaker system. I had taken an estimate couple of months back.

This gyan is from other threads in this forum, so, do not blame me if I am wrong and your equipment goes bust.
So what do you suggest? Spike Buster / UPS ??
Old 4th May 2011, 17:53   #4675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Not sure about broadcast frequency but if I set my TV to 50Hz it flickers, set it to 100 Hz and wow it changes the whole character of display what it produces.
Which TV model do you have, Samsung ??, LG doesnt have option to set the frequency.
Old 4th May 2011, 20:10   #4676
BANNED

Panasonic Plasma PV8.
I would recommend UPS any day compared to Voltage stabilizer or spike buster, even in power cut you'll be continuously watching TV.

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 4th May 2011 at 20:13.
Old 4th May 2011, 23:17   #4677
BHPian

hello

I had bought a samsung lcd tv just over a year back. Since yesterday the screen has developed a rectangular patch spanning across from top to bottom. I complained and the technician came in today. After checking he said that the panel is gone and he quoted a price of Rs 25 k to replace the same. Can you believe it?? A tv just over a year old .
Can i complain somewhere about the same??
Old 4th May 2011, 23:38   #4678
Senior - BHPian

Take that TV to neighborhood technician.

It is possible that its a panel issue and requires a new panel, but it could be a board issue too which is cheaper to fix.
Old 4th May 2011, 23:44   #4679
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful inputs. Going the Refresh Rate and other concepts, I've refined my options. They're:

Sony -
KDL-32EX520

Samsung -
UA32D6000SR
UA32D5000PRMXL

The major point is that Sony is available in the Grey Market, and the price difference with Sony India product is large enough to finance Tata Sky+ HD and an average 5.1 Speaker System from Sony. Guys, please suggest which TV to go for.

By the way, there is this Sony Service Centre in Lajpat Nagar Central Market, on the same road as Vijay Sales. They had this 5.1 Speaker System (Demo piece or God knows what) for 2.5k compared to 4k at the Sony Center and both with 1 year Sony Warranty.

For Car ICE enthusiasts, they do have Sub-Woofers in Seconds apart from HU's.
Old 5th May 2011, 00:14   #4680
BHPian

Hi Tsk13

I bought this Sony KDL-32EX520 from Malaysia for around 22 K INR just last week, i dont have global warranty, but willing to bear the risk

@ Tsk13 - whats the price here in India? and how much at Gaffar?

need to bring it ON to the home wifi now

and if all goes well for few months, will also get a 42inch sony edge led from Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
The Reason: 3 years old or so LG LCD develops some trouble with the panel, 8-9k expenditure on a new panel. Decided to do away with this TV and upgrade to a 32" LED.

The Contenders:
Sony -
KDL-32EX720
KDL-32EX520

Samsung -
UA32D6000SR
UA32D5000PRMXL

The TV will be used with Tata Sky HD and I would also use the USB feature to play movies apart from Youtube-ing over WiFi. The above TV's are FULL HD and 3D is not required since I won't like to wear the 3D Glasses.

Last edited by Anupam : 5th May 2011 at 00:28.
Anupam is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks