Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 13:33   #4516
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
@anil
I am sure, other wifi dongle doesnt work in the TV as it is specifically mentioned in their manual. As well as, for a wifi dongle to work, a driver is needed, and in Samsung TV, they have only their wifi dongle drivers installed or only their dongle is supported.

Just made a calculation, the dongle if got from a shop should cost anywhere around 3 to 4k and like above, if I order through online, its shooting to 5k.

Better to get some telephone cable around 10 feet and get my modem and router moved under my TV. This seems a best bet. Will work on it today and update here how it goes.

I stand corrected. Previously the generic Linksys and Roseville dongles used to be compatible with Samsung, looks like they are not sold anymore even in the US.

Anyway, shifting your router and getting a LAN cable will be more economical option (thats what I did) and I am now wondering how to hide all those wires.

I have an Onkyo HTS hooked up to my TS HD+ apart from my BD player and eHDD. Add a router to the combination, it does not take much time to make your wife annoyed. I am planning to put a carpet just to hide all those wires!
Old 16th March 2011, 13:41   #4517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Better to get some telephone cable around 10 feet and get my modem and router moved under my TV. This seems a best bet. Will work on it today and update here how it goes.
You can do that, or you can buy another WiFi router (1.5 - 2k).

Setup this new router as "repater" of exiting WiFi router and connect TV to one of 4 LAN ports of router.

This way you can extend your existing WiFi network to TV without buying the dongle.
Old 16th March 2011, 13:55   #4518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You can do that, or you can buy another WiFi router (1.5 - 2k).

Setup this new router as "repater" of exiting WiFi router and connect TV to one of 4 LAN ports of router.

This way you can extend your existing WiFi network to TV without buying the dongle.
I am sorry, but I did not quite get you. This guy already has a router, so why another router? Am I missing anything here?
Old 16th March 2011, 15:25   #4519
BHPian

@anil
Dont have any wifi dongle to check with my TV.
It would be a mess under my TV now. Already have these on the small table below,
Stabilizer
Sun SD STB
Mitashi HT

Now no place for my modem and router. Need to upgrade my table too.
Old 16th March 2011, 16:11   #4520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I am sorry, but I did not quite get you. This guy already has a router, so why another router? Am I missing anything here?
If you have one WiFi router connected to internet, you can configure another wifi router in same networks to work as repeater of previous WiFi router. This second router will connect to main router through wireless and you can connect ethernet cable from this second router's RJ45 port to TV. Thus TV will have ethernet cable ending at second WiFi router and Both WiFi routers are in same subnet.
Old 16th March 2011, 16:32   #4521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
If you have one WiFi router connected to internet, you can configure another wifi router in same networks to work as repeater of previous WiFi router. This second router will connect to main router through wireless and you can connect ethernet cable from this second router's RJ45 port to TV. Thus TV will have ethernet cable ending at second WiFi router and Both WiFi routers are in same subnet.
But what is stopping you from connecting the first router to the TV using RJ45 cable? I think the basic assumption here is that the phone (and hence the router) and the TV are in a different room. I am trying to visualize it from my set up where I have everything near the TV and hence did not require a second router. But yeah, the repeater thing is a cool idea!
Old 16th March 2011, 16:57   #4522
BHPian

Makes sense to me too. This will avoid the junk of things near the TV and extra cables. But is there something we need to check in the second router, like it should have a option to work as a repeater or access point?
Old 16th March 2011, 17:22   #4523
Senior - BHPian

Yes you need to ensure that second router has "Repeater" feature.

E.g. this Netgear router has this feature (cost 1500).

Router:

eBay India: Netgear WGR614 Wireless WiFi Router Wi Fi Net Connect (item 310303197747 end time 16-Mar-2011 21:42:56 IST)

Info on this feature:

WGR614v9 Manual: Wireless Repeating Function
Old 17th March 2011, 12:27   #4524
BHPian

Quote:
But what is stopping you from connecting the first router to the TV using RJ45 cable?
Distance! in my case my router and TV are in different room and no way I can put Ethernet cables. If WiFi works then good. Otherwise to avoid USB WiFi dongles driver issues, use RJ 45 connection and get wired locally and connect to local wireless access point in same net. This way I connect media player to NAS, Desktop and Mobile phone, thus access their storage.

Quote:
I think the basic assumption here is that the phone (and hence the router) and the TV are in a different room.
You are right.

Quote:
I am trying to visualize it from my set up where I have everything near the TV and hence did not require a second router.
Our users are non techies and use only power on-off, volume and channel +/- buttons. Few know- how to change sources, and no one except me, knows how its connected and working. Looking at all wires I don't think anybody will dare to put their hands in. So minimum equipments/wires are present near TV and storage is backed up by UPS in another room, any new device over network could be shared.

Quote:
Makes sense to me too. This will avoid the junk of things near the TV and extra cables. But is there something we need to check in the second router, like it should have a option to work as a repeater or access point?
+1
Old 17th March 2011, 16:34   #4525
Team-BHP Support

Guys, i have almost finalized on the LG 32" LED TV : LE5300 which i plan on picking up over the weekend. Any negatives on this model?
Old 17th March 2011, 17:33   #4526
BANNED

This may be OT, but I hope the mods will allow it as the topic considers PQ of todays TVs.

I have watched possibly 7 hours of TV in the last 5 years and likewise rarely in the last decade. I miss the DoorDarshan documentaries on Archeology or those on folk culture in India for the various tribes and their crafts. For this type of SD content, I do not think an HD LCD TV will do justice. The PQ of HD LCD TVs is comparably less than half of a CRT - for SD content. Moreover for less than 10 hours of TV viewing per week, I don't feel it justified to pay 60K for a 36" or greater HD plasma like 40V20D.

If any of you are selling your old CRTs to upgrade to HDTVs like Philips 29pt7325 29pt8836 with PixelPlus or a Sony with DRC feature please PM me. The TV should be 100hz as I cannot tolerate flicker.

Else if you know a TV model with LCD/Plasma/OLED that can do justice, please suggest/recommend. Max size 40".

Thanks
--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 17th March 2011 at 17:37.
Old 17th March 2011, 17:39   #4527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Guys, i have almost finalized on the LG 32" LED TV : LE5300 which i plan on picking up over the weekend. Any negatives on this model?
it is not full HD (It is HD ready which means it has 13** X 7** resolution, against full HD which is 1920 X 1080).

It has no DLNA ( DLNA can make you access your media on PC via a router)

It is HDMI 1.3 ( The latest is 1.4, which supports ARC among other things)

No SPDIF out (which is a good to have feature).

So if you are buying the TV for just watching the cable TV, not going to connect it to hifi audio or not going to watch any movies with Home theatre around then it is OK to buy this if you are getting a good deal.

If you are buying this for around 35-40K I suggest you look out for Samsung LED(5 series), it has a few better options like DLNA etc!
Old 17th March 2011, 18:01   #4528
BHPian

@benbsb29 - i would agree with anil on his recommendations. another drawback is it only supports Divx and not HD Divx.
Old 17th March 2011, 19:01   #4529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it is not full HD (It is HD ready which means it has 13** X 7** resolution, against full HD which is 1920 X 1080).
That does not matter for a 32 inch TV. From a distance of 5 feet or more difference is not recognizable on 32 inch.
Old 17th March 2011, 19:13   #4530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
That does not matter for a 32 inch TV. From a distance of 5 feet or more difference is not recognizable on 32 inch.
tell you what, so many things don't matter depending on the situation. Which is why I added the condition. But if the poster asked for it, I would rather point out the differences.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks