Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 22:35   #4606
BANNED

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Thanks you guys; I will get the thing i next 24 hours (hopefully), and hopefully, it would be in working condition.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Touchwood!!!
Old 8th April 2011, 21:53   #4607
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Thanks you guys; I will get the thing i next 24 hours (hopefully), and hopefully, it would be in working condition.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Touchwood!!!
Got the machine, no duty, (only piece of luggage, passenger was not carrying anything else) and it is in working condition.

And heck, it does make a lot of difference - I am using an Asianet (cable) Digital STB.

Only negative so far is, I am not happy with the sound coming through cable; audio from a Sony BluRay disc player is fantastic.

But then, I am looking out for a HT system for past more than 1 year!!!

And I need to check out the USB port too.
Old 9th April 2011, 18:06   #4608
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I bought Sony 40" LED - EX-520 from the Grey market for Rs. 52000/-
Old 12th April 2011, 11:19   #4609
Team-BHP Support

When researching for my TV, i had read in various reviews that although LG units provide good picture output, the sound quality from the stock speakers is not exactly worth mentioning.

As a trial option, i decided to connect the TV to my Creative 2.1 speakers (which i was using on my home PC) through the headphone output. Needless to say, despite the restriction imposed on the sound output since it is now connected in headphones mode, the sound quality is MUCH better!

Worth an option for someone looking out for a cheap and DIY HT setup.
Old 12th April 2011, 23:22   #4610
BANNED

benbsb29 - if you are using a STB for TV, try to route audio from the STB direct to the speakers. Ask for RCA to female stereo cables - they should be available for as little as Rs. 100/-. That is what I was using till couple of weeks back.
Old 13th April 2011, 20:19   #4611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
Philips PFL5505 46" LCD TV

Would really appreciate some first hand reviews of this TV. The price looks too good to be true for a 46 incher, that too with a 2+2yrs warranty. Is the TV really as good as it promises to be or am I missing something?

Thanks
After a lot of research and not so good reviews of Philips, I didn't have the guts to put my money on this TV. Got a great deal on LG 47LE4600 and ended up buying it for 64K with free BD player.

Calibrated the display with the free dvd available on AVS forums. HD picture quality is awesome, SD is reasonably good for such a large screen. Unfortunately, my building society does not allow DTH connections (stupid rule, don't ask!) so I'm stuck with Hathway cable. I'm hearing rumours that Hathway will commence HD transmission from June onwards but will only believe it when I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
When researching for my TV, i had read in various reviews that although LG units provide good picture output, the sound quality from the stock speakers is not exactly worth mentioning.

As a trial option, i decided to connect the TV to my Creative 2.1 speakers (which i was using on my home PC) through the headphone output. Needless to say, despite the restriction imposed on the sound output since it is now connected in headphones mode, the sound quality is MUCH better!

Worth an option for someone looking out for a cheap and DIY HT setup.
I've been using my Altec Lansing MX5021 speakers with my TV for quite a while now. I absolutely adore the sound delivered by these speakers and have no plans to upgrade to a full fledged HT setup anytime soon.

That said, my new TV belongs to the LG Jazz series and has an inbuilt woofer - as a result, sound quality is much better than my Panny PV8. But I still prefer the MX5021 which sounds much sweeter.

Last edited by Wimwian : 13th April 2011 at 20:21.
Old 13th April 2011, 21:14   #4612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
I'm hearing rumours that Hathway will commence HD transmission from June onwards but will only believe it when I see it.
Thats great news if true.

I can't use DTH since that would require drilling to get cables from Dish. In most Mumbai buildings, DTH means getting cable across 10+ floors between rooftop and my flat.

Already have internal wiring for Cable, if Hatway starts HD, it would be a winner.
Old 14th April 2011, 00:20   #4613
Senior - BHPian

I have a Samsung 42 inches C450 Plasma.
I tried to connect it with my Dell laptop using a HDMI cable. However its not connecting and the message on TV comes- check signal.
Any idea how it can be done?
Old 14th April 2011, 00:49   #4614
Senior - BHPian

Which OS is running on your Laptop? You will have to enable this TV as a second monitor.
Old 14th April 2011, 17:42   #4615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I have a Samsung 42 inches C450 Plasma.
I tried to connect it with my Dell laptop using a HDMI cable. However its not connecting and the message on TV comes- check signal.
Any idea how it can be done?
Most probably the drivers for the HDMI port out are not working. Go to device manager and see for new hardware and try re-installing the drivers for HDMI.

However, if your sound and audio devices show HDMI out device(just a way to check if the drivers are installed), then you should be checking the display settings.
Old 16th April 2011, 12:34   #4616
BHPian

Hi,

Picked up a Sony Bravia 40Ex400 40" LCD for 52,200. MRP is 58,900. Was really keen on getting the 46", but family prevailed and got the 40".
Got a Airtel HD Dish TV pack free with that ( available only on initial recharge of 1000, to avail free installation and Free 3 months economy pack + HD Package)

Getting it installed today.
Old 19th April 2011, 20:12   #4617
BHPian

Hi Guys, i got a Panasonic Viera TH-P50U20D model last week. Set me back by 64k. Looks monstorous as i had a 29 inch tv before getting this.The clarity is to too good. Have to see it to believe. Getting Tata Sky HD+ next week followed by PS3 next month.

I had decided its gonna be a Panny and no other plasma or LED tv from any other brand. Considered Panasonic Viera TH-P50V20D before finalising on Panasonic Viera TH-P50U20D.

Panasonic Viera TH-P50V20D is the best. However was a little out of budget. Final price for this was 1,04,000. So did not go for it. It comes with the neoplasma technology, Full HD, USB port, 4 HDMI ports etc, better contrast ratio of 5,000,000:1.
Old 19th April 2011, 20:44   #4618
BHPian

@Torque123 - congrats on the great buy and perfect timing with TataSKy HD+ and more HD channels it is perfect. If you have a HT just perfect to enjoy the 50" with HD source.
The PS3 will rock on it too. Enjoy
Old 19th April 2011, 21:03   #4619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
@Torque123 - congrats on the great buy and perfect timing with TataSKy HD+ and more HD channels it is perfect. If you have a HT just perfect to enjoy the 50" with HD source.
The PS3 will rock on it too. Enjoy
Thanks Yajaman99. Actually the Tata Sky HD+ offer was the reason to prepone my Plasma tv purchase. Else i wanted to buy it some time in June. Had a chance to play PS3 games on Panasonic plasma V series at my friends place. It is damn addictive. Cannot wait to get my hands on PS3.
Old 19th April 2011, 21:21   #4620
Senior - BHPian

As I badly needed to replace my 21" CRT TV in my daughter's room (BPL Emperor 1995 model), I visited Bajaj Electronics nearby, and found a good deal on a 32" Panasonic LCD TV.

It was a HD ready model with a single HDMI connection, with an SD card reader too. I got it for a price of Rs 23900, which is a good price for that model.

Will post a review after I connect it with a Hathway STB. Currently it has a cable connection as the STB is used for my Panny Plasma.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks